• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas is in the Brawl! - General Discussion

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking, that because Ness is all we have over here and Lucas is overshadowing Ness in Japan, something they could do is have the characters have identical movesets, but release one character in Japan and another in NA. As far as visual appearance goes, Ness and Lucas are almost identical (down to the striped shirt) with the exception of hair color and hat usage, so it wouldn't be too hard to change it up. Their play style, barring the game experience itself, are incredibly similar, including spell usage (which is a bit odd anyway, since Ness uses spells he never learned in the game... his trophy justifies it I guess?) Also, Mother 3 is currently not planned to ever be released in NA, so I'd be surprised if they put Lucas in and kicked Ness out and gave it to gamers that will ever be able to experience Lucas without importing him (of course, Mother 3 could get the international FE treatment, but judging by what's going down at Starmen.net that wouldn't be likely).

So, in short: Lucas in JPN, Ness in NA. Want more Mother characters? Perhaps Kumatora in Japan, Paula in NA. It won't appease to a lot of the hardcore Mother gamers here in NA, or the nostalgic gamers in Japan, but Nintendo isn't usually one to focus on what hardcore gamers want... they go for the wider audience.

Or, I could be completely wrong and they'll give Lucas a completely new moveset based off his actual moves and "PK Ground", which Paula never learned but Kumatora could've taught him, and have Lucas fight along Ness. We'll see.

Kakashi-dono

Smash Cadet
Lucas: I dunno much about him, but wpuld luv 2 see wat he could do

I've seen him mentioned a lot and even in a lot of different list predictions, and yet, there is no official topic for him. So, I guess this is it. I present to you, Lucas from Mother3:

People like pictures so...

(I both thank you and apologize in advance if I happened to use a picture of yours in the following because it seems to be difficult to find any of him. McFox has one down here for sure. Anyway...sorry and thanks!)

There were only generic topics if anything about him. There is actually a Claus for Brawl thread, but he is Lucas's older brother who is (apparently) only available to use in one battle in the game. Claus (red hair) is shown with Lucas in the last picture.

I really don't know anything about Lucas or Mother anything at all; I just made this because there isn't one, and I'd like to know more about him. What types of moves could he offer? What does he do in the game?

Feel free to discuss possible movesets, Lucas as a choice over other characters, whether he could possibly replace Ness or both be present, etc. This is mostly a place to gather information on the character since so many people have him in their rosters and whatnot.

Oh, I also found this in the "Sakurai's comments" thread...

"Mother Characters

I'm gonna lump this together, because there isn't really one specific character. Essentially, the entire party of Mother 2, Ninten from Mother 1, and Lucas, Claus, and Kumatora from Mother 3 all popped up on Sakurai's poll. Claus got a bigger deal of attention, considering his "LOL SECRET," and Sakurai, who DID WORK ON MOTHER 3 *hint hint*, mentioned amongst the letters that he would be including stuff from the game. Now, firstly, he confirmed in Famitsu that Mother 3 music was appearing in Brawl. Secondly, he confirmed that had EB2/64/M3 been released pre SSB64, Ness would've been replaced by Lucas. He even held out for it to be released prior to Melee, to try and put in Lucas then. So, now that Lucas is out, what happens to Ness....?"

That's it...Lucas for Brawl!

I will modify this initial post once we get some more information on this guys...
If u ask me(which none of u do), it would nice to bring Ness bak and put Lucas in the game
to see the fans reaction, yah know? well, do ya???? Send me ur comments on this ppl,
i always want 2 know wat u ppl think of wat I say. U know who this is! The name is--------
Kakashi-dono.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Some mods I thought up:

Down A =
He crouches and extends his arms to his sides, and PSI energy comes out of them.

and I thought of 2 recoveries that use the yo-yo, one would be a yo-yo tornado, but... tornado recoveries: sorta overused (Mario, Link...) so I thought of something else, it would be like the Ice Climbers recovery, where he would get the yo-yo out, and use it to catapult forward. It wouldn't be as bouncy, and Lucas could glow in a blue shade of PSI so getting hit with him or the yo-yo does damage.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Bumped - And I think we need dual rep for all original (SSB64) characters. It's only right. This guy has a good shot, but I'm not tied to it too much. Most people seem to think he has a good shot. So...don't let it die because all of these stupid new threads keep popping up.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
It would be so much nicer if he was fighting along side Ness, its just that Ness has earned his right to be in smash so theres no reason to kick him out now.
i just hope they make Lucas a completly new character (if hes in)

shocker90

Smash Rookie
Lucas would be an awesome character in Brawl I would to see what kind of moves he would have and also his final smash would be interesting to see.

Chickenboy666

Smash Ace
I have been using Ness since SSB64, and I continued using it in Melee, but, I'm not sure, a part of me wants Ness back in Brawl, while the another part wants Lucas better. It's weird T_T Being both Lucas and Ness in Brawl is perfect for me, but that's unlikely.

Anyway, I think I go for Lucas a bit more, like 51% Lucas and 49% Ness

No! Wait... it's just a temporal feeling, I'm really don't sure T_T

Lucas for Brawl!!! Alongside Ness!!!

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
Mother 3 was certainly popular enough to warrant some sort of representation. I am a little worried that Lucas is so similar to Ness (in terms of looks, PSI abilities, most common weapons, etc), so that his inclusion would either bump Ness out of the game altogether, which wouldn't be very good, or that the two would just end up looking very similar out in a fight. Mario and Luigi have gotten away from it, so I guess cosmetic differences can be overcome.

Still, I think I'd rather see one of the other Mother 3 characters in the game just to really emphasize their differences with Ness. Kumatora would add some additional female power to the game and she's got a very differentiated look, and Duster could come out with some great attacks and interesting animations thanks to his leg.

I believe that the 12 3rd season veterans all deserve to keep their spots, so as long as he doesn't kick Ness out, I'm fine with Lucas in Brawl.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Ness deserves to be kept in because he has endured 2 games. And the Mother series does deserve a 2 (or more... I wish) character representation. There's already Mother 3 music in the game, so I hope Lucas is a starter, with Claus hidden... (well, I can live without Claus, Lucas and Ness FTW!)

And Lucas can be made VERY different to Ness. So that's not an issue. They might look a BIT similar (I honestly can't see what some people mean when they say they look too alike), but they come from altogether different time periods, and while they used the same PSI, 3 of Ness' moves come from Paula, so there's a lot to work with.

Lucas for Brawl!! Alongside Ness!!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
They could be two different characters. Lucas could use more status PSI as that's what Ness does anyway, and he uses ssome of the new weapons.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Because of what Sakurai stated before (no more clones) i'm pretty sure that if Lucas does infact make it in he would not replace Ness and he would HAVE to have a different moveset so no worries there
I also like the Kumatora idea to, that could work out just as good ^^

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
hmm i'm pretty sure i heard a stement about no clones somewhere, but whatever its really not worth arguing about

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Lucas should replace Ness, but should have a Ness alternate costume (if they go all the way with alternate costumes, and not just recolors). Why? It´d increase curiosity as to what the MOTHER franchise is and perhaps even warrant a release stateside. Considering the enormous success of MOTHER3 in Japan, including Lucas would be a solid move.

Besides, his inclusion causes the chances of Masked Boy to skyrocket, and he would be a wonderful fighter.

Possible Lucas B-moveset and Final Smash:

B - Brainshock: An attack that made enemies feel Strange in MOTHER3. Lucas´ body is surrounded by a thin, white aura as he stretches his arm outward with a pointing finger. If a foe comes into contact with Lucas while he is in this stance (lasts for as long as you hold B), they will be shocked by white electricity, receiving average damage, and then enter a somewhat shorter version of the Shield Break animation. This move has slight lag after execution.
B Up - PK Thunder: Same as Ness´ PK Thunder. However, the thunderbolt is easier to maneuver and Lucas deals less damage if he crashes into enemies.
B Side - PK Ground: Lucas yells the technique´s name and stomps the ground with his foot, causing a shockwave to travel forward until it reaches the end of the platform. The wave travels exclusively through the floor, so aerial enemies will be unaffected. Those hit by the attack will be sent flying upward at a considerable distance.
B Down - Psycho Counter: Lucas is surrounded by an energy field like Ness´ PSI Magnet, but color violet. Projectiles that hit this field will vanish and the one who shot the projectile will receive the damage instead (but no knockback, like with Fox´s Blaster).

Final Smash - PK LOVE: This is Lucas´ most powerful PSI technique in MOTHER3. It will actually be called whatever you say is your ´favorite thing´ at the beginning of the game, but PK LOVE is its popular name. Lucas places his hands to his forehead and hexagonal, rapidly expanding waves of blue energy will burst out of him, reaching a size of about the (SSBB) Battlefield stage. The waves occur at the rhythm of the stage music, and damage is inversely proportional to frequency; the faster the music, the less damage each wave does. The waves don´t knock foes away, so it´s easy to be trapped. PK LOVE ends after about ten seconds.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
that is an excellent mover set!!! well done
but i still think that Lucas should NOT replace Ness by anymeans
PS check out my moveset for Ninten from MOTHER

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
There was a whole series of those renders, showing off several characters and scenes in Wind-Waker style. As I remember it was a play to try and get support for a Gamecube port of M3.

I feel compelled to point out that the chances of a Mother 3 localization at this point are pretty well shot. If the big initial sales in the Japanese market weren't enough to convince them, I don't think we'll see it due to interest from Brawl. The GBA is a sadly dead system, and remaking the game for the DS is a pretty big undertaking when Nintendo doesn't seem very sure of the possible success. I mean, the inclusion of Roy may have boosted Fire Emblem's popularity over here, but we didn't see FE6 translated after-the-fact. And, since Itoi indicated that 3 would be his last Mother game...

...anyway, right now none of that really affects Lucas' chances of getting into the game, but I wouldn't consider Lucas' inclusion as a big help for us getting M3, and I think that's why he won't and shouldn't replace Ness on the roster.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
^^^^Well, half of me agrees with you, half of me chooses to remain a bit hopeful. There's a fan translation on the way though, but I'm very close to fully playing the game with a japananese dictionary.

Anyway, let's keep this thread up people, I'm gonna post a link to this thread on the character index.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
I don't really care whether Ness or Lucas take the Earthbound/Mother spot on the roster, because it is certain that one of them will. But I don't understand why Sakurai would want to introduce a character (Lucas) that is similar to Ness who has already been in the first two SSB games.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Because his original plan was to have Lucas instead of Ness and that got shot down thanks to the 64 version of Mother 3 meeting an untimely cancellation.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I don't really care whether Ness or Lucas take the Earthbound/Mother spot on the roster, because it is certain that one of them will. But I don't understand why Sakurai would want to introduce a character (Lucas) that is similar to Ness who has already been in the first two SSB games.
Luigi is SO similar to Mario, and yet they still both entered the first Smash. They are similar, but if they can pull of having clones with the same movements and playing totally different, then they can make Ness and Lucas very different too.

Besides, Lucas has potential for a new and original moveset, very different to Ness'.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I guess I could bump this since it's my own thread, but...meh.

I wonder if Sakurai still likes Lucas...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Is there any particular reason for the lack of EB/Mother games in the US? Is it because it just isn't that popular over here or something? I mean, even the Japanese don't get too many of these games. Is it because of low sales or is it more like Zelda where it just takes a really really long time to develop the games? I find the latter hard to believe.

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
Well, when the first reports of Mother 3 were sent out (originally "Earthbound 64"), it was given a lot of coverage in America. Back then, it seemed likely that M3 would receive a localization, so during the planning stages of Melee it wouldn't have been a problem to replace Ness with Lucas. They'd simply be updating Earthbound's representative from the most recent game, and international considerations wouldn't be a problem.

But now...Lucas is finally available to be in the game, but he's only appeared in one territory. I don't think Sakurai would want to replace the only EB rep we know with one that most people in the mainstream have never heard of before. Depending on how much of a localization job they want to do, they could have Ness in the English version and Lucas in the Japanese version (playing the same, but with cosmetic differences). I don't think that's really fair to the franchise, though.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Dunno, I really hope for both to be playable, and really different. I mean we had two Fire Emblem characters last game, why not two (or three...) EB/Mother characters next game? Well, I am a bit hopeful actually, so I'll try to stay positive.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Is there any particular reason for the lack of EB/Mother games in the US? Is it because it just isn't that popular over here or something? I mean, even the Japanese don't get too many of these games. Is it because of low sales or is it more like Zelda where it just takes a really really long time to develop the games? I find the latter hard to believe.
One problem they have is the game [Mother] is not as big of a sell as people say it is. The game sold 386,926 TOTAL. If anyone tells you Mother is mad popular is Japan, thell them it is, amongst the small group who bought the game. Those fan are of the vocal veriaty, and LOVE their game.

Fire Emblem is similar. Except it sold a bit better. Best one sold 695,300, but again, not widley popular. It was brought to the west becuse of Melee. It has definatly helped sales as the franchise has been selling less and less in Japan.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Yeah, Mother is kind of a... cult game, to put it that way. But it's still semi-well known, and those who stick with it, really, really love it.

The reason M3 wasn't brought to the US is because it was believed Earthbound wouldn't sell well due to the graphical style and humor and story... and they decided to gamble it, but the game didn't sell well, and I guess that's why we never saw M1+2 or M3 in America. I wish they could have taken a gamble now, since people have been playing Smash and are familiar with Ness and they could have been interested, but now we'll never know.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Ok... so

They're revealing newcomers! Who knows if we'll see Lucas in the site, but I'd guess they still have to reveal Ness, but we don't know for sure how this site works... (predictions are just that... predictions) but if Lucas shows up before Ness I'd be worried.

Fawriel

Smash Master
There is PROBABLY no pattern.

But Earthbound is, like Fire Emblem, a slightly obscure role-playing game franchise that already had representation but was not hinted to at all in the updates ( before Ike's release ). The Icies for example, are the same, but they are unlikely to get a different representative than Popo and Nana.
Maybe completely new characters will only be revealed on the 1st of each month like Ike was.

But nobody can say right now. When would you, if you were Sakurai and it were the case, tell people that you replaced Ness with Lucas... or added Lucas as a new character?
I personally would keep it until somewhere at the end as a smaller surprise...

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Well if both Ness and Lucas get in, I bet Lucas would be a hidden character... And if by some awesome twist of fate we get 3 EB/M reps, both Ness and Lucas could be starters with another as a hidden character, but I'm surely not holding my breath for that.

I say, screw Peach, Falcon and Metaknight, I hope Ness and the Ice Climbers are revealed soon.

And I do think it will be a while before we get another newcomer.

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Mother is kind of a... cult game, to put it that way. But it's still semi-well known, and those who stick with it, really, really love it.

The reason M3 wasn't brought to the US is because it was believed Earthbound wouldn't sell well due to the graphical style and humor and story... and they decided to gamble it, but the game didn't sell well, and I guess that's why we never saw M1+2 or M3 in America. I wish they could have taken a gamble now, since people have been playing Smash and are familiar with Ness and they could have been interested, but now we'll never know.
It wasn't totally graphical style that turned people off...Earthbound came out at a time when most RPGs that weren't developed by Square just weren't very popular. It still wasn't a mainstream genre here. Personally I don't think Nintendo's marketing strategies helped it, either.

Actually, on a personal note, it's because of Nintendo's marketing that I wasn't interested in the game. I was put off by the Xbox-sized box for the game, and Nintendo's ads in the Nintendo Power magazine focused mostly around toilet humor (fart jokes and scratch 'n sniff cards? C'mon Nintendo, I want to give you more credit than that...). But, since those days, EB's only become more popular internationally, especially so with Ness' inclusion in Smash Bros. I think that they would have been pleasantly surprised had Mother 3 been given proper treatment.

Oh well, the past is the past. I just hope that if a similarly-goofy series comes from Ninty's studios, they give it a fair chance next time.

Top Bottom