• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas General Discussion

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
A funny thing that happened 3 or 4 days ago:

I managed to gimp a Ness by throwing a grounded pk freeze on his pk thunder on DreamLand.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
So now that Smashboards is back up, I can finally post about this.

In 2.6b, when Lucas is over 100% and does a roll get up from the ledge, he instead immediately stands up and is able to take any action. It's obviously a glitch, but it might as well be discussed while we can use it.

Do you guys think it's a good thing, or a hindrance? I found it to be a nice surprise for my opponents when on the offensive, but losing the ledge roll also limited my defensive options while recovering, so I'm kinda hit or miss on it. I think it could be useful if used right, though.

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
So now that Smashboards is back up, I can finally post about this.

In 2.6b, when Lucas is over 100% and does a roll get up from the ledge, he instead immediately stands up and is able to take any action. It's obviously a glitch, but it might as well be discussed while we can use it.

Do you guys think it's a good thing, or a hindrance? I found it to be a nice surprise for my opponents when on the offensive, but losing the ledge roll also limited my defensive options while recovering, so I'm kinda hit or miss on it. I think it could be useful if used right, though.
It's definitely a hinderance, the only think close to being a benefit is that it puts you in the standing state. This means you can do grabs off the ledge extremely fast. Other than that, it is not beneficial compared to a ledge hop or ledge jump, especially since ledge jump gives you a little bit of invincibility I think.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So SmashBoards is finally back lol

I have great news guys,I managed to play a lot of PM with Lucas on SSB Power the last sunday and I think I`m improving a lot.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I think the whole "Hold upTaunt to trip" should be looked into more often, mostly the get-up attack, since I actually really like it as a tool that helps with gimping/keeping people off.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
It's hard for me to see it as a tool, since in most situations, it seems like something else would work better. It certainly is flashy though and would be a funny way to troll people recovering.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So I think i managed to get 7th or 5th or something like that on the tourney,videos and bracket will be avaiable soon.

And also there's the stream with some matches.
http://www.twitch.tv/x_revolution/b/464175356

I appear at 53:00 with a lot of freeplays.

My 1st set on the tourney happens on 2:53:00.

My 2nd set happens on 3:19:00

My 3rd set happens on 4:49:00

My 4th and 5th sets happens on 5:31:00

I would love some advice.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
A few quick things:

1. In your 1st set against Mario, I feel like you tried to fight him in the air too much. You were doing lots of full hops and rising double jumps and it didn't seem to be working out in your favor. You played a much more ground based game in your other matchups.

2. One tool for pressuring close to the ground I rarely saw you do was djc fair. If you can get this down to where you almost have it perfect, it can really create some tough to deal with ground pressure, and also use it to punish most things you can react to (it then is practically guarenteed to combo into more damage.)

3. A lot of the time, you are letting characters live to ridiculous percents. I think you should focus on developing ways to combo into kill moves, that way you kill them earlier. Too many of your kill attempts relied on reads or for your opponent to make a mistake when you actually had a few opportunities to combo them into the kill much earlier in the stock. Once players get to high percents against Lucas, they start playing super cautiously so it's difficult to get the pkf->grab->uthrow or any reliable combos into kill. In this neutral situation djc sweetspot fair is usually your best bet. You also could work on your edgeguarding (I also have difficulties with this).

4. I'd like to see some more airdodge->zairs. This is a really underused move and since you can change your momentum with it in the air it has amazing applications in both the neutral game (awesome mix-ups) and combo game (allows you to extend juggles since you basically have a 3rd jump that goes in any direction)

All in all though, you looked like you were doing pretty good. I think if you keep playing with djc fair and magnet, they will help you play faster/safer/better.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Speaking of zairs, lucas players need to learn how to tether cancel. Now.

Oracle

Smash Master
Doesnt seem as necessary now that the reel in is invincible though it is nice to juke an edgeguard

Burnsy

Smash Lord
It's still necessary to avoid certain gimps, especially ones like shine spikes. Also, if someone is trying to force a ledgejump, this will often cause them to panic and get off the ledge prematurely.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Doesnt seem as necessary now that the reel in is invincible though it is nice to juke an edgeguard

You can still be hit while reeling in, only the top of your head is invincible.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
A few quick things:

1. In your 1st set against Mario, I feel like you tried to fight him in the air too much. You were doing lots of full hops and rising double jumps and it didn't seem to be working out in your favor. You played a much more ground based game in your other matchups.

2. One tool for pressuring close to the ground I rarely saw you do was djc fair. If you can get this down to where you almost have it perfect, it can really create some tough to deal with ground pressure, and also use it to punish most things you can react to (it then is practically guarenteed to combo into more damage.)

3. A lot of the time, you are letting characters live to ridiculous percents. I think you should focus on developing ways to combo into kill moves, that way you kill them earlier. Too many of your kill attempts relied on reads or for your opponent to make a mistake when you actually had a few opportunities to combo them into the kill much earlier in the stock. Once players get to high percents against Lucas, they start playing super cautiously so it's difficult to get the pkf->grab->uthrow or any reliable combos into kill. In this neutral situation djc sweetspot fair is usually your best bet. You also could work on your edgeguarding (I also have difficulties with this).

4. I'd like to see some more airdodge->zairs. This is a really underused move and since you can change your momentum with it in the air it has amazing applications in both the neutral game (awesome mix-ups) and combo game (allows you to extend juggles since you basically have a 3rd jump that goes in any direction)

All in all though, you looked like you were doing pretty good. I think if you keep playing with djc fair and magnet, they will help you play faster/safer/better.
1. Yeah I had a hard time against Mario,I just didn't know what to do against him.
I also played him at freeplays that didn't get streamed and everytime he sent me offstage it was a HELL to return,those fireballs gimps Lucas so easy.

3. That's because Brawl Lucas cound't kill without reads,and I'm still not fully adapted for the new kill mechanics Lucas has now. I'm definitely going to do some work at this.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
A real important one to practice DJC Freeze > DACUS, and DACUS in general, you gotta be ready to read and react to Jumps when it comes to killing as Lucas.

Also I love Zair onstage.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
What is tether cancelling referring to?

Z-air is an amazing on-stage move.
Reeling in, dropping off before hitting ledge, then tethering ledge again. Very likely to spook your opponent or make them get up from the ledge on reaction.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
Are any of you Lucas mains going to the Big House 3? I wouldn't mind seeing some of you play in person to compare/discuss our playstyles and what not

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Reeling in, dropping off before hitting ledge, then tethering ledge again. Very likely to spook your opponent or make them get up from the ledge on reaction.

You don't actually have to reel, you can cancel it as soon as it latches.

Also, if you do a rising tether cancel you can land on the stage with no lag and freak your opponent out and get free hits, this is kind of hard though.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
hey guys, I haven't been able to play too often recently but I got some footage recorded a while ago and I wanted to post it up because I feel like my play has gotten really smooth

my bud was mainly testing out a new potential alt but there should still be some good stuff

http://www.twitch.tv/dronparker/b/464484638 (starting at like 7 mins in I think, also sorry for the screen tears and audio echo, you might want to mute/turn it down)

I feel like I use magnet super liberally (possibly more so than any other person I've seen) and it doesn't always work out, but I'm still trying to tighten things up

any other observations would be appreciated

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
not a huge fan of Fair
Buffing Lucas is nuts. lol
Lucas

F-air is more solid.
I like it. My game with him will be less centralized around WD F-tilt/DD Grab/AD Snake stuff for sure.
his improved fair

• Tether reel invulnerability on the head (notice not being poked by Marth d-tilt during reel anymore?)
  • Much better nair due to the hitboxes being redone to be more consistent.
  • Multiple down-b changes that make linking the hits better including the final, launching, hitbox
  • Fixed his powershield reflect.
  • d-tilt shield poking better
You're nuts Calabrel, but I like you.

Edit: Z-Air, Grab, F-Tilt, Down-B, is an amazing neutral game mix.
Don't aerial too much, even in 2.6...

Oracle

Smash Master
Well, boys, I tried. Fox and bowser too hard. Although it is of note that I 2-0ed pikachad in winners lol. Also I 3-1ed hammertime in a mm so I hope that clears up any questions about who the best lucas is :troll:

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
Well, boys, I tried. Fox and bowser too hard. Although it is of note that I 2-0ed pikachad in winners lol. Also I 3-1ed hammertime in a mm so I hope that clears up any questions about who the best lucas is :troll:
lol I wasn't even aware that I was a contender for best Lucas, but I always assumed yours was a lot better just from the videos I've watched. Anyhow, that was a fun set and thanks for the pointers, I'll try working on that stuff before the next local tourney I go to. And good stuff getting 5th place.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
0 Ike representation, even when I was wagering 50 leelue pesos just for one match win during bracket with Ike

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
Fun games HammerTime. Oracle is a fraud, can't beat Falcon Kick.
Yea fun games, I was so confused about what I was supposed to do in that matchup since I've never played it before, but I guess i'll have a better idea of what to do next time I encounter a ZSS. So many unfortunate suicides in that second match though lol what a bad win for me.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Oracle, Naerok is slightly smiling at you from his earthbound grave. He told me you just need to do cool DJC aerials off platform stuff and you'll be golden.

Top Bottom