• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's One Frame Grab (With Details)

iRJi

Smash Champion
Ok, as one of my many contributions for the boards, I would like to give you something that I have known for a long long time, and just never posted it. 1/2 of this is know, but I did the data through debug for it to prove that this is legit. I have told only a few Lucario mains, but now I am just going to make it publicly.

When I was playing with lag substitution for moves (IE: Snakes grenade giving him only 2 frames of lag on landing instead of 5) I came across some physics of Force Palm that falls under that category. After testing the Force Palm move for a few hours, I learned that Lucarios grab sequence actually does activate in the air, however since he is not grounded, it does not activate. Then it dawned on me: What would happen if I start the move prior to landing on the floor?

I continued and continued to test, until I saw with my own eyes what was happening with it: if you activate Lucario's Force Palm before landing on the floor, it subs the normal landing lag, with the move's landing lag instead.

Now, this is most likely known up to this point. I ran the move threw debug mode for brawl, and it turns out that if you cast Force Palm between frame 1-9 in the air before landing, your landing animation gets replaced instantly with a grab animation. In other words, Force Palms grab comes out on frame one.

This is a old Jeepy video of his fake combo he tried in 08 when brawl came out, while its not a legit combo (obviously) the physics of what I am talking about is demonstrated in the video when he uses Force Palm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBAHw_mrqRg

How to do it: When you are near you opponent, and right before landing, cast Force Palm, and when you land, you will get the grab animation instead of landing lag.

Note: If you do it too late, you will just do a normal Force palm, which has a lot of lag obviously.

The best use for this is for Cross ups. Jump behind your opponent and do a reverse Force Palm before landing to grab. Since it is frame one, there options are limited. You can also just do this before landing if they are hiding in shield. It is a very safe option. You can do it from the front too, while having advantage since it takes 7 frames to drop shield, and 5 frames to jump OOS.

I neglected to show you guys this for a long time, but I feel that its a good time to start sharing some of these things I know with the rest of you. Please do not ignore this, as I have practiced it and used it very often in tournament and in friendlies, and the technique is very, very, very useful.

Please post thoughts.

Zucco

Smash Master
This is so legit. Not many Lucarios know about it because its never really talked about. Crossup is definetly its best use, but you can always mix it up and land in front of them. Another way of using it would be to just activate FP in the air instead of just airdodging into the ground. hardbody mixup that nobody ever sees coming at first, giving you more options and makes your opponent worried.

Just be careful with the crossup when you are at high %. obviously you can die and it wouldnt be worth it against certain characters.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
This wasn't common knowledge? I could've sworn I've stated this at least 8 times already in pretty much every big thread.

Why does nobody ever listen to me? :<

Does it really cut straight into the grab frame 1, though? I'd expect it to go through the rest of the animation first, but since my wii is dead, I can't really test it. Frame advance vids plz.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Whoa I didn't know you meant it like that when you first told me. That is pretty cool that you can do a friggin' one frame grab though.

I'm doing some experiments in Training mode I've finding some stuff I didn't know yet lol.

@Kits yeah it goes through the animation part first.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's possible to grab certain characters out of their jab cancel/combos, like Falco. Don't know the specifics, you guys can test that out, lol...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I miss the days when people didn't mash out...and just a few days ago, two people knew that they could. *sigh*

iRJi

Smash Champion
I miss the days when people didn't mash out...and just a few days ago, two people knew that they could. *sigh*
After 45+ it becomes really hard to mash out of it. It counts like a normal grab =P.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
After 45+ it becomes really hard to mash out of it. It counts like a normal grab =P.
Yeah, I've had someone mash out at 40% at the very last moment, and I was like, "You suck!" <_<

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Finally RJ you posted it lol

Seriously guys, just go into training mode, and practice the timing, then it should be second nature. This could really help in the DDD MU when you're sitting with a high aura cap but no way to particularly get past his shield (even a good idea to kill sometimes)

CLU7CH (an old lucario main in my area) asked me to test this like two years ago, but I had too much on my plate and at the time thought it wasn't important, plus I didn't believe him lol.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
It works. Any lucario player that can time a grounded force palm can pull this off.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
the best time to do it seems to be like right above the ground.

Think Falco Silent Laser height

iRJi

Smash Champion
Finally RJ you posted it lol

Seriously guys, just go into training mode, and practice the timing, then it should be second nature. This could really help in the DDD MU when you're sitting with a high aura cap but no way to particularly get past his shield (even a good idea to kill sometimes)

CLU7CH (an old lucario main in my area) asked me to test this like two years ago, but I had too much on my plate and at the time thought it wasn't important, plus I didn't believe him lol.
Lol, I told you I would post it eventually. I was just waiting until it felt right.

Top Bottom