• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Stages

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
I am going to be entering a Brawl Tournament soon. Due to this being my first tournament I want to know which out of these stages work for Lucario :confused:

Neutral stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville

Counterpick stages:
Yoshi's Island
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

|RK|

Smash Marketer
And I want to know how stage picking and counter picking work. I haven't been in a non-school tournament, lol. Oh, and how stage banning works. Is it just like "I choose Battlefield" "Oh no you don't!" "I counterpick Halberd!" Or something?

Oh, and FIZZ, it depends on who you're fighting. You really want a large stage with places to Wall Cling, effectively use aerials, and F-Smash.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
I'd argue Battlefield as Lucario's best stage here.
If you play a Diddy, stay away from Final Destination! Same with D3.
If you get matched up against a Metaknight immediately ban Rainbow Cruise.
Don't forget to Forward-B combo on these guys: Snake, Bowser, DK, Wario?, Falco, Wolf, DDD, Link, Ganon, and any other heavy guys I forgot.

Hopefully you know what you're doing. Play well and don't tarnish the my name. Fizzles unite.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Neutral stages:
Battlefield - Good against some characters and bad against others. This is my favorite neutral but i avoid this stage if i have to fight Marth. Probably not a good idea to let Snake, MK or GaW take you here either.
Final Destination - Probably Lucario's best neutral overall. I would take MK's or Marth's here. Don't let IC's, DDD or Diddy take you here.
Smashville - Most balanced stage in the game imo. I don't really know what to say about it lol

Counterpick stages:
Yoshi's Island - Pretty good stage for Lucario. MK's hate this stage lol. Watch out for the stupid ledges and get good at wall clinging. The Shy guys can get in the way of your AS so just be aware of that. This is a really good Wolf stage i believe.
Castle Siege - Don't let DDD take you here.
Delfino - Don't let DDD take you here.
Halberd - Low ceiling and characters with multiple jumps can go through the stage. This is not a good stage for Lucario but not a horrible one imo.
Lylat Cruise - Falco and Wolf hate this stage. This stage isn't good for Lucario but it's not horrible.
Pokémon Stadium 1 - You can wall cling on this stage. Just something you should be aware of. The fan can helps you survive kill moves. I think this stage is kind of annoying though.
Frigate Orpheon - This is my favorite CP and i'm confident enough to bring any character in the game here.
Brinstar - DK's like this stage. I would bring IC's to this stage but probably no other character.
Rainbow Cruise - F*ck Rainbow Cruise

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Ban Rainbow Cruise, and I'm a strong believer in Frigate/Yoshi Story for counterpicks. Especially Frigate. Wallclings have saved me so much on this stage, and it's terrible for tethers.

And I want to know how stage picking and counter picking work. I haven't been in a non-school tournament, lol. Oh, and how stage banning works. Is it just like "I choose Battlefield" "Oh no you don't!" "I counterpick Halberd!" Or something?

Oh, and FIZZ, it depends on who you're fighting. You really want a large stage with places to Wall Cling, effectively use aerials, and F-Smash.
Stage picking can be done with the stage strike system, random neutral, or just agree with your opponent on a stage. Stage striking is you'll just go back and forth and remove a stage from the neutrals, last one there you play on. Random is obvious, as is the last option.

Counterpicking: The loser of the first match will chose stage, then the winner will chose character, than the loser will chose character, in the order (almost always).

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Thanks guys this will for sure help my game play!

RJ Joker- At the beginning of a match you get rid of a neutral and a counterpick stage( your opponent does this too). Than you and your opponent choose a neutral to start with. The loser of the match gets to choose the next stage and is allowed to change their character. The winnner though cannot change their character. Than this continues till the match is over.*THIS IS HOW I THINK IT WORKS*

I still though want the Lucario Boards to post what they think!!!!

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion

RJ Joker- At the beginning of a match you get rid of a neutral and a counterpick stage( your opponent does this too). Than you and your opponent choose a neutral to start with. The loser of the match gets to choose the next stage and is allowed to change their character. The winnner though cannot change their character. Than this continues till the match is over.*THIS IS HOW I THINK IT WORKS*

The winner can change his character, but the loser can chose after, so it's rare that you'll see a winner change characters. Really isn't much of a point, unless they're using a character like Fox, where they know you'll just counterpick Pikachu.

And Samuelson pretty much nailed it.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero

Sam's covered everything. Nothing more needs to be said, really.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Oh! Thanks guys for the posts. I will for sure listen to Sam since he covered the whole thing. Also Melomaniacal thanks for explaining the rules!

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Oh! Thanks guys for the posts. I will for sure listen to Sam since he covered the whole thing. Also Melomaniacal thanks for explaining the rules!
No problem, good luck in the tournament. Remember to just have fun, and make sure you play plenty of friendlies.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
In the tournament I am not expecting to make it out of pools, so I will than be playing a lot of friendlies the whole day. LOL

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Personally, i wouldn't take anybody to Rainbow Cruise except for like Wolf or something lol

Peach sucks on Rainbow Cruise by the way.
The difference between her and diddy/snake is air control and efficacy of their positive attributes.
Yeah, she has a lot of difficulty moving and her fair gets pretty bad on that stage, but doesn't she have better stuff over lucario on that stage? (not that a Peach will CP with this stage, lol.)
G&W/MK however will CP this on you like crazy (that or Corneria, especially to kill you in like 9 seconds).

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
The difference between her and diddy/snake is air control and efficacy of their positive attributes.
Yeah, she has a lot of difficulty moving and her fair gets pretty bad on that stage, but doesn't she have better stuff over lucario on that stage? (not that a Peach will CP with this stage, lol.)
G&W/MK however will CP this on you like crazy (that or Corneria, especially to kill you in like 9 seconds).
Her double jump goes 5 inches, so I'd imagine she'd suck on the platforms.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
I really don't understand why rainbow cruise is allowed while other moving stages our banned. In my opinion I really wouldn't want to take any spiking character to RC as we cant spike them back... especially sice our only spike is our final smash XD

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I really don't understand why rainbow cruise is allowed while other moving stages our banned. In my opinion I really wouldn't want to take any spiking character to RC as we cant spike them back... especially sice our only spike is our final smash XD
We don't have a spike, but we do have a stage spike (everyone does practically). And while spiking is a little more important on this stage, it isn't vital, it's just being owned by a lack of stage control and better aerials. The his moving stage is one of the few that is stable enough so that certain attributes don't get completely broken, whereas others like Big Blue would get dominated by multi jump, space control projectiles, and movement is very restricted.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
We don't have a spike, but we do have a stage spike (everyone does practically). And while spiking is a little more important on this stage, it isn't vital, it's just being owned by a lack of stage control and better aerials. The his moving stage is one of the few that is stable enough so that certain attributes don't get completely broken, whereas others like Big Blue would get dominated by multi jump, space control projectiles, and movement is very restricted.
We have a good air game right? is there a list somewhere that dictates who can own us in the air? (of course there are the really obvious ones like MK.)

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...I think that the characters to watch out for has been covered generally well in this thread. IDK if I'm too late or not, but if you're still unsure about what stages Lucario should play on in general, take a look at this link as it should give you a general idea about what type of stages Lucario should be on to benefit his abilities and traits. This could help in match-ups where they are considered to be fairly even between Lucario and another character depending on who your opponent uses.

Here's the link:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199403&page=6

The rest depends on who you are up against. Select your stages wisely and you should do fine. Also, be aware of those other characters who can completely destroy you on some stages eg. DDD + CS. But, I think that most of that has been covered well earlier on in this thread.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)? There's several reasons this is a good one for lucario. MK's don't like this one so much, wall cling friendly, platform makes for easier camping, and decent for SH aerials.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
fd's really good too imo. as long as you di well. it makes you live at high high percents and once again clinging too good, easy to space here and not get gimped. worth noting... i have a lot of trouble against marth on smashville,fd. but not so much on yoshi/battlefield. platforms help lucario A LOT im this matchup imo.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
what ever you are most comfy with. imo u are thinking about counterpicks the wronge way. imo u should think about ur counterpick depending on what u had the most trouble with, if u had trouble with spammying go to smashville (cuz its small) or rainbow cruse (cuz they cant camp) if u thaught the stage was too plane and think he cant do well on a stage that changes and moves PKS1, Halaberd, delfino, and rainbow cruse (again)

but most importantly, the stage that you are MOST comfy with. this might give u some tipps and help u think about counterpicks in a dif way.. if u dont wana take my advice on counterpicking its your call. (not saying that to make u think like me, i dont even use lucario lol)

but im 99% sure this video will help you out on counterpicks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_MyzLnOat8&feature=channel_page

Aerox00

Smash Cadet
My number one counterpicks are battlefield, final d, frigate, brinstar, and luigi's manison - one of the best for lucario. luigi's has a **** ton going for him, sweet ES tricks off the ceiling, you can get rid of diminish by charging your AS on one of the pillars, easy combo ability with u-throw to u-tilt, and with a force palm right in the middle ko's are pretty easy to come by at higher percents.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
He has some crazy stuff on LM, but pray that your opponent doesn't CP with Olimar or MK. Even though BF isn't considered lucario's best per se, I find myself using this even more than FD even against marth (then again, I comain marth, which would explain my thinking on that kind of stage lol).

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
FD is probably one of the better Marth CPs, just because you have plenty of room to AS and fsmash all day. Frigate and (if it's not banned) Japes are good counters against him also.

In fact, I'd consider those three stages to be Lucario's best overall. Just watch that you're not gayed by a better character on those stages though.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
either that or Frigate Orpheon. I think the reason I pick BF is I'm more familiar with platform pressure and tactics involving due to Marth habits.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
either that or Frigate Orpheon. I think the reason I pick BF is I'm more familiar with platform pressure and tactics involving due to Marth habits.
Battlefield would be a good Lucario stage except:

1) Lucario's platform pressure blows ****. Nair is pretty much all we've got, and it's not even that good.

2) Lucario needs larger stages to work the fsmash/AS magic. Having platforms means it's a lot easier for approaching characters to get around your walls. Lucario is a slower-paced character that needs plenty of space to play defensively.

Not to say Lucario doesn't do okay on Battlefield (it's not a bad CP against characters that can outcamp you), but he seems to perform a little better on larger stages. Definitely don't take a Marth or MK here unless you're very, very good on the stage.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'm not saying lucario is good for this stage, it's just that I have a better feel for this stage than FD. I know it's not advisable to use this stage on certain matchups, but I seem to do better with the platform positioning (although I do like Smashville and Yoshi's Island (Brawl), even though Yoshi's Island is a CP practically every NW tourney I happen to go to).
tl;dr version: that last sentence you said applies quite well to me, but if I have to, I usually go Frigate or Smashville for more preferable stuff (I really don't feel too comfortable on FD is all).

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
Battlefield would be a good Lucario stage except:

1) Lucario's platform pressure blows ****. Nair is pretty much all we've got, and it's not even that good.

2) Lucario needs larger stages to work the fsmash/AS magic. Having platforms means it's a lot easier for approaching characters to get around your walls. Lucario is a slower-paced character that needs plenty of space to play defensively.

Not to say Lucario doesn't do okay on Battlefield (it's not a bad CP against characters that can outcamp you), but he seems to perform a little better on larger stages. Definitely don't take a Marth or MK here unless you're very, very good on the stage.
Um Make the platforms work for you. We don't need larger stages to work the fsmash/as "Magic". Fsmash should definitely not be spammed. Battlefield allows you to use utilt,upsmash, and uair a lot better than on other levels. Lucario has amazing platform game.

Top Bottom