• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Stage Discussion: Reviewing information

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Oh noes, I fear he might DI out of my dair...oh wait, HE ALREADY DOES. Gea DI too good. :)

BF: pretty good for Lucario, but some characters can benefit from it more than him. Snake, Meta, and Marth are prime examples.

Timbers

check me out
Why hate on DK on BF? His tilts? Just curious.

Also I wouldn't really take a Peach to BF. She enjoys having a platform above her and you can't dair her if you are above her. Makes it much harder to get back down.
you're going to DS this weekend?

:on topic:

as far as DK goes i know when i used GW more and played DKs on BF he was very easy to juggle. because once you were under him and the plats stopped his fall he couldn't really get up in time to shield or prepare for the next hit. so with the stage being smaller and the platforms cut down on him landing on the main part of the stage, i find him very easy to juggle. so in lucario's case with fair, bair, up-air, bair, nair, and care bear. :)
GaW's juggle and plat pressure is eons more effective against DK than Lucario's, primarily because they function differently. GaW's aerial have a ton of lingering and wide hitboxes, while Luc's..as they do linger, as somewhat linear and therefore make it difficult to abuse landing frames. AS,ftilt, and fsmash do a better job at this, and none of those moves really do a good job against plats, at least not to the degree of GaW.

jog

Smash Journeyman
i agree that GW pressure is a lot better than lucario's but what i was just pointing is that the platforms helped with the pressure more than if there weren't platforms. DK doesn't really have much room to jump around and be the free ape he wishes to be with platforms. but that's just my theory, i'll test it when gea ***** my lucario this weekend and see if i can do better than i would normally do. i'll use FD as a control and see if BF changes the play against DK.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
we went from discussing stages to discussing characters on stages lol. anyway what are the thoughts so far? is it average,good,bad,or differing?

jog

Smash Journeyman
we went from discussing stages to discussing characters on stages lol. anyway what are the thoughts so far? is it average,good,bad,or differing?
well its good to know who to ban stages against and to try and take to certian stages. that's really the whole point of counter picking and stage striking. i mean as an olimar main i wouldn't take MK to luigi's mansion even though its oli's best stage, i would probably take him to corneria. so that's why its good to know that when we start striking stages to being a set, that it would be good to strike Battlefield against marth, and try to take him to FD. also i think this stage is probably average to good.

edit:

at kailo's advice i would say not to take marth to FD. rather PS1? since i know the lips screw with his recovery. also these are just the starter stages we're talking about, not any of the CP stages.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
i was eating cordon bleu on my bed and the cheese dripped out..so now there are a bunch of white stains on my sheets

/kaloislegit

anyway theres no juggling in brawl cept maybe gaw uair so take marth to bfield...srsly just ask lee martin

also never ever ever take him to FD...jog dude who are you?i assume you arent very good at this game like the bulk of people who talk on these stage threads and because i live in houston and have never heard of you and i dont appreciate you spreading bad advice

also DS is a ****** but i may go idk

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah, I don't like where the DS is located either, but I feel like playing.

I'm gonna bring a setup to switchoff for some Melee.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
The day you take Marth to Battlefield is the day that player dies of laughter. Do NOT take Marth to Battlefield.

If you really think that Battlefield is the way to go against someone else (someone NOT Marth) then go ahead, because Lucario doesn't do too badly there either but seriously, don't take him to Battlefield.

jog

Smash Journeyman
The day you take Marth to Battlefield is the day that player dies of laughter. Do NOT take Marth to Battlefield.

If you really think that Battlefield is the way to go against someone else (someone NOT Marth) then go ahead, because Lucario doesn't do too badly there either but seriously, don't take him to Battlefield.
everyone has been staying not to take marf there

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The day you take Marth to Battlefield is the day that player dies of laughter.
Psh. That's obviously an advantage >_>

But yeah, I love Battlefield. If you know your stage matchups well, you should prosper here. It's actually not that bad of a stage. This isn't exactly a survival stage though. You want to take good matchups here, because chances are that the bad matchups do better against you here.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
everyone has been staying not to take marf there
I suppose my last post was for the benefit of kailo34ce.

I also main Lucario, but the only thing I know for certain about Battlefield that you may not know is that Lucario can go under it. Common sense dictates that the platforms benefit Lucarios aerials well. As for who you may want to use it against, I would reccomend DDD and perhaps falco, their camping game works not so well here. Battlefield has a benefit for Lucario similar to Marth's benefit.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
BF also makes larger/taller characters feel awful lol. Easy strings and comboes to poor unlucky Bowser.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Platforms are your acquaintances. You can U-Smash better under them, especially to avoid certain attacks (Key), you can Micro D-Air over them, etc.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
N-air, F-air, U-air can be a real ***** in high % fights through these platforms...

But anyone with a quick, large, powerful move that reaches upward or diagonally upward that also and/or possesses some mother****ing good aireals will **** your sorry ***.

Timbers

check me out
Platforms are your friends. You can U-Smash better under them, especially to avoid certain attacks (Key), you can Micro D-Air over them, and you can tech easier if you are knocked through one and have proper timing, to survive longer.
unless you get spiked into the ground, you can't tech killmoves lol.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Ah, okay. I figured so long as you passed a platform at high speed or something... K then. Platforms are your acquaintances.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
So we agree platforms are semi neutral for us, battlefield is about 7/10 and Aerials are good here. am i missing anything?

jog

Smash Journeyman
we still need deeper thoughts about BF, so far its just been about plats and how good marth does here. more more more! someone give me a good summary!

Gea

Smash Master
Maybe you should consider reworking the topic into being about where to counterpick certain characters and where to ban it?

Stage specific strats in general are always related to the characters you are playing against. Plus then you can possibly work in sync with the matchup discussion thread.

Do what you feel is best. Just a suggestion.

jog

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you should consider reworking the topic into being about where to counterpick certain characters and where to ban it?

Stage specific strats in general are always related to the characters you are playing against. Plus then you can possibly work in sync with the matchup discussion thread.

Do what you feel is best. Just a suggestion.
mmm i think that works better. i mean that's really what i was trying to get at but i didn't think of it in those terms.

so from now on lets focus on which stages to ban against, CP against, and fall neutral. and what can we do against these characters on the stages and what can they beat us at?

good idea? let me know :)

Gea

Smash Master
You would say, start with Diddy since he's the current topic of discussion. Then throw out stages for/against Diddy and why. Strats that work best on stages are usually opponent specific, so this allows for more in depth coverage of who to take where.

I mean who cares if Japes is rated higher for Lucario if you're up against a Snake. Arbitrary ratings don't give you any better idea of a good stage in a good situation.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Just another little question Jog, what about the others that are already done?

EDIT- I would start with Yoshi's island as a neutral stage. Since diddy has problems killing AND that there's is this huge wall below the ledge allows us live to ******** percentages.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
As long as your not fighting Toon Link.

And anyone with good runnoff moves.

jog

Smash Journeyman
Just another little question Jog, what about the others that are already done?

EDIT- I would start with Yoshi's island as a neutral stage. Since diddy has problems killing AND that there's is this huge wall below the ledge allows us live to ******** percentages.
Since we're a little behind Timbers' match up thread. We can either come back to the ones we missed at a later time, or if we get done early we can talk about some of the previous match ups :)

As long as your not fighting Toon Link.

And anyone with good runnoff moves.
Lets not talk about why Yoshi's would be bad against a different character lets just stick to why its good or bad against DIDDY. If we talk about everyone then we're back to the old stage discussion. :)

Once again, everyone please read the front page update!

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Isn't this exactly what happens in matchup threads? The old idea was more unique since we were generally discussing stage advantages themselves. This one is definitely a matchup thread.

jog

Smash Journeyman
Isn't this exactly what happens in matchup threads? The old idea was more unique since we were generally discussing stage advantages themselves. This one is definitely a matchup thread.
um no. we're discussing how the lucario's opponents stack up on the stages themselves. not against lucario.

Gea

Smash Master
Not really. Knowing where to take characters (and why) is rarely discussed in depth in character matchup threads. Usually you are met with "go brinstar..." and that's it in the character matchup threads.

Saying "lucario does well on FD" is meaningless against ICs who WANT FD. Generalizing how well Lucario does on each stage does not help the player when it comes time to counterpick intelligently.

On that note, I guess I will say something constructive and say to consider Frigate and Norfair against Diddy. It is a pretty good Lucario stage (his recovery doesn't get owned here and Diddy's can be), and the rising/falling platform can mess with nanners.

Norfair eats his nanners for breakfast and if you are good at the stage you can easily make a Diddy feel helpless.

If you've experienced a Diddy on Luigi's and feel confident about not getting trapped in his mansion tricks, you can actually outdo him here by storing your aura and pulling ahead on the basis of not being able to be killed.

Japes isn't a bad idea either for the same reasons.

Ban FD, Rainbow Cruise, Corneria, or GG if you see him ever taking people there. Mainly FD and Cruise to ban.

Oh and as far as the neutral stage to shoot for, Yoshi's then Kanto. Avoid FD and Smashville.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Your best to worst for neutrals:

Yoshi's Island
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville

Smashville is better for Diddy against Lucario than FD is IMO. You live longer on FD, you have the wall cling on it if you need it, and you can outcamp Diddy on FD. SV you die sooner and you don't have the wall to save you if you need it and it's a tiny bit easier to approach with Diddy.

Diddy has no real bad stages, he can do well on just about every stage so my advice is to pick where you feel most comfortable or where Lucario has the biggest advantage.

I'd say for your best counter picks:

-Brinstar/Japes/Frigate all tied for best CP, depends on how you guys feel most comfortable
-Norfair
-Luigi's Mansion
-Lylat ( I think Lucario can do better here than Diddy can)

Your worst would probably be:

-Rainbow Cruise
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Corneria

You can go to the Diddy matchup discussion to find out my reasons for your best CPs, I don't feel like typing everything up again.

Gea

Smash Master
Actually, besides Brinstar and maybe Kanto (I mean, I wouldn't straight up avoid Kanto, there are better places to ban). I agree with the above post.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Not really. Knowing where to take characters (and why) is rarely discussed in depth in character matchup threads. Usually you are met with "go brinstar..." and that's it in the character matchup threads.
I suppose so, but this hinders what we know about how Lucario does on these stages...

Player-1

Smash Legend
Actually, besides Brinstar and maybe Kanto (I mean, I wouldn't straight up avoid Kanto, there are better places to ban). I agree with the above post.
I said w/e you feel most comfortable, and I already know for a fact that Lucario has a a pretty good advantage over Diddy on Brinstar. What's kanto? You mean PS1? The only reason I said that is because it's the closest thing to a neutral stage and Diddy's best stages are neutral stages, and I was naming the CPs you should bad, the neutrals you should ban are obviously Smashville first and Final Destination.

jog

Smash Journeyman
I suppose so, but this hinders what we know about how Lucario does on these stages...
wrong. by knowing how well we do against our opponents on specific stages can determine a win or a loss. if you go into a match up not knowing how your opponent does on a stage you'll lose. lucario does good on FD, but diddy does better, and that's what you need to know.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Mmmm, I suppose so. I had figured though that the other one was better, because we looked into the things about that stage rather than having to cover multiple stages at once per character. We learn less about the stage's advantages that way. I mean, we can tell which we do better on, but is a multi-stage discussion really the same as a more focused discussion? I am not bashing this topic by any means, just saying it's undergone a transformation rather than translation. I'll come back and post some releveant stuff later, I guess...

Top Bottom