• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lubbock Tournament Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
well even the best still has to work their hardest to prove it. its not like once you become the best you can just sandbag everything and auto win. you will still have to compete and prove your strat. is better and smarter than your opponents.

and of course there is always the scenario where someone beats you then you are no longer the best, and have to work to get back to that point. so it isn't really like that at all.

Play a game like Galaga or something, and set a world record high score that nobody will ever beat. See, then you don't have to continually play and prove you are still the best but there is a score to prove you were, unless someone actually does break it. Why can't games be that simple anymore?! :psycho: You could like be in some kinda freak accident and lose your arms, and then be behind someguy 10 years later who is trying to beat your score, and then when he fails you can be all like "***** I AM OWNING YOU AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE HANDS!"... Yes my dreams are ******** and simple, but you know it is appealing!

jra64

Smash Journeyman
What the hell?! Since when did finding out how to continually improve yourself and your game become a "JOB"?! I love comparing my strategies against other people in the world, and when I see how much better my strategies and hard work are compared to other people, that is the reward in itself...

It's not even about the joy of beating other people. It's the satisfaction you get when you understand why you thought a specific way, and realizing why it's beneficial to think another way, or adopt another habit. Just basically solving and identifying problems is an accomplishment that makes you feel good.

I remember talking about this before:

You'll post another smiley, someday =P.

And to all the people talking about tournies, the main factor that makes them so fun IS NOT the money. It's about you competing against other people in the world and seeing how you compare to the best in the world. It's that great feeling of self satisfaction and accomplishment you get from knowing that you and your opponent have both put time into that game and you battle your ideas vs his ideas. Money is a great addition, but the self accomplishment from continual self improvement is much more rewarding.

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
My favorite thing is playing people that challenge my limits and force me to think on the fly. Kinda of what like Ryan said. Playing someone with an interesting style you've never seen before and trying to crack it. Find the flaw and exploit. Like if you've never played a really good person before and then get to play them. Even if you lose it was one of your most fun experiences. For example: I got to play Caveman once, and even though I lost it was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot about my bad habits and things I should do.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... Having sex is a job too...

EDIT: I really like what Crono said. That's exactly what I'm talking about...

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
So is masturbating, and playing tennis, or jogging, or wearing alot of clothes when it is hot. You and Crono are like... BLEH! LOSING IS NEVER FUN!!!!! ...jk

EDIT: I agree, but unlike you guys the only pretty good player I ever got to play is Roy, and sucked alot worse then than I do now! I dont even get to play you guys very often at all. You guys try coming to Plainview, Crono already knows how GREAT the people are here. :psycho:

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
Come to our fine facilities at Tech... we are already out in the middle of nowhere... dont want to go further into the butt crack of nowhere Texas even more... =)

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Will Smashboards let me post this?

EDIT: Will Smashboards let me edit this?

Final Edit: YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Young Danny

Smash Journeyman
I have a two month class that is kicking my *** and it ends on Saturday at 5:00.

I vote for SATURDAY

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
ill buy brawl off of you for 100 bucks... if you sell it to me today.... i want it THAT bad... 100 bucks cash for brawl

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
Who all has their copy reserved at the gamestop next to wal-mart near campus? Just wanna see what kind of competition I should expect at the Brawl tournament for the free copy.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
How many tourney locations are in Lubbock? Free copy of Brawl is the prize?!

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
Actually I think the tournaments are from 9 to midnight, but you can't use anyone other than the default characters (i.e. no one who has to be unlocked which is like snake, sonic, ness, marth, wolf, lucario....probably more but you can figure it out). I believe there are 4 locations in Lubbock however I'm not for certain whether or not you have to have the game reserved at the gamestop to enter. Plus its one minute time single elimination with items on, AND I don't think they're using gamecube controllers. Not completely sure about the last part, but that's what I heard.

felix45

Smash Lord
yeah I think we have to use nunchuck/wii remote. Ima bring classic controller to see if I can use it.

also apparently gamestop has brawl that you can play in their store now? so ima go check it out, should be fun :)

also as a hint to my age, leap year happens only once every 4 years. come on guys get on the ball! :p

Yum_Cha

Smash Apprentice
Some engineering organization is holding a LAN today at the PE (Petroleum Engineering) building 114 or 113, I don't remember. You don't have to bring your computer, they said it is optional and some will be provided. It starts at 7, but setup is at 6. The flyer said Unreal Tournament 3, Half-Life, and Counterstrike. I'm going to check it out and see what it is like.

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
FELIX IS A PHONY! HE'S A BIG FAT PHONY! EVERYONE EVERYONE THIS MAN IS A PHONY!

the moral of this story is don't post rumors about Brawl demos being at GameSop without confirming them first >.> .......

jra64

Smash Journeyman
PHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!#@$:LJ#KL@J#:L$J32lk;j

I MISSED A LUBBOCK LAN WITH UT3 and CS!

Why didn't you tell me earlier, Andrew! Do you know if there was any Quake action?!

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
Found what I thought would be an easy way to record matches at any time. MY webcam with Windows Movie Maker can indeed record anything, and I can do whatever I want with it with Movie Maker.

Problem: No matter what I do, the quality is horrible. It's like anything that's white or light is like looking at the sun. I could send you two samples to show what I'm talking about.

I mean, recording doesn't matter for Melee anymore, but you may want to record yourself when Brawl comes around.

EDIT: If we have this smashfest, I vote we start kinda early, like around 5 or 6. I really don't want to be staying out until 3 or 4 in the morning because it blows the **** out of my sleeping pattern. (stupid 8:00 classes...) I might bring my laptop and webcam. Maybe.

EDIT 2: I haven't met this "Curtis" fellow, unless it's someone's alt.

felix45

Smash Lord
the curtis fellow is prime time's roomate.

also I'm going to call up everyone on my cell phone today so we can play smash. we should figure something out.

then maybe some SC or WC3? haha :p
dont worry I suck balls at RTS games....too much going on at once!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom