• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
worst case is no ridley or king k rool, there is no reason not to add them since almost everyone else is already there.

I think ver believes this leak is real from what I seen from him, question is are his sources legit
So, who are all of the people that collaborated/confirmed the Ridley rumor?
For reference.
I haven’t been here in a while...catch me up? What is this?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
As someone said before, DasVergeben seems confident in Ridley's inclusion, from what his multiple sources have said (though he claims the one of them is the most reliable source). He even stated that Ridley will have a presence at E3 that's not just limited to the announcement of Ridley as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. I could see all three characters getting in, but what I'm finding difficult to believe is that there will be "no cuts"...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I haven’t been here in a while...catch me up? What is this?
The rumour comes from a GameFAQS user named Vergeben. He reports that Smash Bros for Switch will include Ridley as a newcomer, the Ice Climbers and the entire Smash 4 roster comes back with no cuts, and Simon Belmont from Castlevania is a new guest fighter.

Hope that gets you up to speed. As much as I want Ridley to be playable and I wouldn't even mind if this got spoiled in this way, I'm going to stay on the side of cautious optimism.

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
The rumour comes from a GameFAQS user named Vergeben. He reports that Smash Bros for Switch will include Ridley as a newcomer, the Ice Climbers and the entire Smash 4 roster comes back with no cuts, and Simon Belmont from Castlevania is a new guest fighter.

Hope that gets you up to speed. As much as I want Ridley to be playable and I wouldn't even mind if this got spoiled in this way, I'm going to stay on the side of cautious optimism.
you know what makes sence however? the fact that we must get a form of gameplay trailer for metroid prime 4 somehow right? to include ridley there to boost metroid sales and backwards samus returns, it makes absolute sense to promote with ridley, since he is so well known, this however also means, that ridley will be in prime 4 somehow. this might get interesting

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As someone said before, DasVergeben seems confident in Ridley's inclusion, from what his multiple sources have said (though he claims the one of them is the most reliable source). He even stated that Ridley will have a presence at E3 that's not just limited to the announcement of Ridley as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. I could see all three characters getting in, but what I'm finding difficult to believe is that there will be "no cuts"...
No cuts kind of goes hand in hand with the "lots of reused assets" part of the leak. I think it's widely expected that this game won't be a traditional sequel, but more like a Splatoon 2 kind of deal, and if it's like that it'd mean that the game has been built on Smash 4 instead of a relatively clean slate like previous games. In that case veterans really wouldn't require a lot of work, it'd mostly just be balance and visual updates with the odd moveset change here and there, the entire base of every veteran (aka the actually time consuming part) would be ready from the start.

I also think the late announcement of the game might play a part in this, instead of commiting to an early reveal they have instead chosen to announce the game closer to release than ever before, and it might be a case of them only announcing the game when they feel that they can comfortably reach all of their targets, which would likely include bringing everyone back. I think because the Switch hasn't needed Smash to carry its hype, Sakurai and his team might not have been pushed as hard by Nintendo and instead have been allowed to do their thing in peace, I think that's also reflected in Sakurai's Famitsu column about how his work schedule is more relaxed this time around.

Lastly, considering how almost half of Smash 4's DLC were cut veterans, it's fair to assume that most cut veterans likely scored high on the ballot, even the clones. I think that only helped emphasize that bringing the whole Smash 4 cast back should be a top priority, otherwise they'll just end up in the same situation with this game's DLC where everyone is requesting the cut veterans to return, and besides Ice Climbers it'll also very likely help Wolf get back into the fray.

That's just a few ideas as to how it might have been possible, I myself was also very skeptical of the possibility, but the more I think about it the more I can also see it happening.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
No cuts kind of goes hand in hand with the "lots of reused assets" part of the leak. I think it's widely expected that this game won't be a traditional sequel, but more like a Splatoon 2 kind of deal, and if it's like that it'd mean that the game has been built on Smash 4 instead of a relatively clean slate like previous games. In that case veterans really wouldn't require a lot of work, it'd mostly just be balance and visual updates with the odd moveset change here and there, the entire base of every veteran (aka the actually time consuming part) would be ready from the start.

I also think the late announcement of the game might play a part in this, instead of commiting to an early reveal they have instead chosen to announce the game closer to release than ever before, and it might be a case of them only announcing the game when they feel that they can comfortably reach all of their targets, which would likely include bringing everyone back. I think because the Switch hasn't needed Smash to carry its hype, Sakurai and his team might not have been pushed as hard by Nintendo and instead have been allowed to do their thing in peace, I think that's also reflected in Sakurai's Famitsu column about how his work schedule is more relaxed this time around.

Lastly, considering how almost half of Smash 4's DLC were cut veterans, it's fair to assume that most cut veterans likely scored high on the ballot, even the clones. I think that only helped emphasize that bringing the whole Smash 4 cast back should be a top priority, otherwise they'll just end up in the same situation with this game's DLC where everyone is requesting the cut veterans to return, and besides Ice Climbers it'll also very likely help Wolf get back into the fray.

That's just a few ideas as to how it might have been possible, I myself was also very skeptical of the possibility, but the more I think about it the more I can also see it happening.
Fair enough.

If this leak is true, we could be seeing the following roster:

Veterans
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Yoshi
Rosalina & Luma
Dr. Mario
Wario
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Link (Breath of the Wild design)
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Pit
Palutena
Dark Pit
Little Mac
Marth
Roy
Ike
Robin
Lucina
Corrin
Captain Falcon
Kirby
Dedede
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Pikachu
Charizard
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Greninja
Villager
Pikmin & Olimar
Wii Fit Trainer
Shulk
Ness
Lucas
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Duck Hunt Duo
Ice Climbers
Mii Fighter
Pac-Man
Mega Man
Sonic the Hedgehog
Ryu
Cloud Strife
Bayonetta

Newcomers
Inklings
Ridley
Simon Belmont
King K.Rool (I think he did well on the ballot)
And possibly many more.
Wow.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm skeptical of the "no cuts" part moreso because I don't know why Nintendo would want to casually announce the return of all 58 veterans at E3. That basically deconfirms unlockables, and it would ruin an easy way to keep momentum when we have droughts of Smash information in late summer ("Hey, guys! Mewtwo's returning!"). I guess it's not impossible, but it doesn't sound like something they'd do.

Unless Nintendo makes no cuts a huge point in their presentation, I don't know how Vergeben's source would know something like this so early on.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I'm skeptical of the "no cuts" part moreso because I don't know why Nintendo would want to casually announce the return of all 58 veterans at E3. That basically deconfirms unlockables, and it would ruin an easy way to keep momentum when we have droughts of Smash information in late summer ("Hey, guys! Mewtwo's returning!"). I guess it's not impossible, but it doesn't sound like something they'd do.

Unless Nintendo makes no cuts a huge point in their presentation, I don't know how Vergeben's source would know something like this so early on.
If the source exists and has seen the whole roster and knows there aren’t any cuts, that doesn’t automatically mean Nintendo is planning to reveal that information at E3.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If the source exists and has seen the whole roster and knows there aren’t any cuts, that doesn’t automatically mean Nintendo is planning to reveal that information at E3.
If that's the case, I'm curious as to why he didn't reveal more newcomers. Surely there's got to be more oddball characters on the roster that caught his eye than just Ridley, Simon, and a veteran. Heck, the only character that hadn't already been implied by others prior to the leak was Simon. The other two had been brought up multiple times.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Wii U only had 8 unlockable characters, maybe we'll have a fair few unlockable newcomers this time instead.

And announcing all the vets returning would be a great way to hype people up, like "you get to play all your favourite characters in addition to all these newcomers!"

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Few quick things from what I read on this page.

1. Splatoon 2 did not reuse assests. There's an interview someone cited (I'll look for it at some point) but they recreated everything to look almost exactly because how popular the style was. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's important to point out.

2. I can totally see them announcing all returning vets without actually showing them at E3. Would be good hype.

3. I think (but I could be wrong) that Vergeben's first source that confirmed Ridley, which is also the one he has more confidence in, did not mention a Ridley reveal at E3. So if Ridley isn't revealed at E3 that doesn't mean he was wrong, and expect him to say that. Take it as you will, I personally think E3 is Ridley's only chance but I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
3. I think (but I could be wrong) that Vergeben's first source that confirmed Ridley, which is also the one he has more confidence in, did not mention a Ridley reveal at E3. So if Ridley isn't revealed at E3 that doesn't mean he was wrong, and expect him to say that. Take it as you will, I personally think E3 is Ridley's only chance but I could be wrong.
i feel like a character as notorious as ridley isn't gonna go unmentioned at E3. the uproar that would cause is too good to pass up.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Included a screenshot of Verg's own words, as a lot of the things posted here imply to me some people think the rumour is a single base rumour.

1.) The most confident lead he has only states that Smash 5 will include Ridley as a newcomer with some Smash 4 assets.

2.) Ontop of this, all characters come back, including Ice Climbers and the new Simon Belmont. This source specifies Ridley being revealed at E3.

3.) Apparently there's a third source unlisted that supports the second (but I think it's probably bull tbh)

Regardless of your belief in cuts (I really think the second leak may have a lot of holes because of this), the first and "most reliable source" only states that our boy is getting in, that it's Bandai-Namco, and that it reuses assets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't fully believe the second leak; it plays it safe with IC's, goes off of the first, and includes a newcomer I really can't see coming (due to the parent company's rep recently). I could be completely wrong, but the second one just seems to also go off earlier posts (I believe their on ResetEra) where the mods talked about Smash 5 including Inklings and Ridley (it may not have even been ResetEra, I'm making a guess).

The only thing I'm hopeful and sort of convincing myself of is that Ridley's chances are unironically possibly the highest they will ever be for inclusion; he's wanted, he's relevant, and there's new hardware. If he's going to become a newcomer, I feel like this could be his final chance unless Metroid Prime 4 brings Metroid back into more recent releases.

As for E3, I think that's his only chance as well; Sakurai knows how much people want him, so if we don't see him in 17 days (Nintendo's E3), I think we're doomed.

Attachments

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Included a screenshot of Verg's own words, as a lot of the things posted here imply to me some people think the rumour is a single base rumour.

1.) The most confident lead he has only states that Smash 5 will include Ridley as a newcomer with some Smash 4 assets.

2.) Ontop of this, all characters come back, including Ice Climbers and the new Simon Belmont. This source specifies Ridley being revealed at E3.

3.) Apparently there's a third source unlisted that supports the second (but I think it's probably bull tbh)

Regardless of your belief in cuts (I really think the second leak may have a lot of holes because of this), the first and "most reliable source" only states that our boy is getting in, that it's Bandai-Namco, and that it reuses assets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't fully believe the second leak; it plays it safe with IC's, goes off of the first, and includes a newcomer I really can't see coming (due to the parent company's rep recently). I could be completely wrong, but the second one just seems to also go off earlier posts (I believe their on ResetEra) where the mods talked about Smash 5 including Inklings and Ridley (it may not have even been ResetEra, I'm making a guess).

The only thing I'm hopeful and sort of convincing myself of is that Ridley's chances are unironically possibly the highest they will ever be for inclusion; he's wanted, he's relevant, and there's new hardware. If he's going to become a newcomer, I feel like this could be his final chance unless Metroid Prime 4 brings Metroid back into more recent releases.

As for E3, I think that's his only chance as well; Sakurai knows how much people want him, so if we don't see him in 17 days (Nintendo's E3), I think we're doomed.
Thanks for the info. This is really helpful.

I don't know how much I believe this - of course I want to, but Ridley used to be the big red flag on "how to see if a leak is fake." At least since the first one is so simple, there's not much to doubt...but not much to go with either. It also doesn't imply Ridley will be at E3, so if he's not, that doesn't necessarily deconfirm him.

The second is the sketchier one since, while I can believe that they'll be reusing some assets, I don't know if the'll be able to bring back all of the guests AND add a bunch of newcomers. I'd rather some older vets return as well (Squirtle plz), but that seems wish-fulfillment-y. I also don't know about Simon getting in over Snake, but...

How awesome would that be if every vet was back though? Balancing nightmare for the competitive scene, but talk about 'best party game' for casuals like me.

I've always thought Ridley would be unlockable so he'd not get confirmed at E3, but I've warmed up to the idea considering I can't see anyone who would bring more hype. True, people like 3rd parties and most of the fanbase isn't hard core Nintendo, but at E3? Everyone there will know of the whole Ridley saga and would react accordingly. See how Etika's (and others') YouTube reaction videos went with the Mewtwo reveal - that'll be Ridley at E3.

Out of curiosity though, what was that other leak we had a few pages ago where they hinted Ridley would appear at E3 in more than just videos? Did that come from Vergeben too?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I don't know how much I believe this - of course I want to, but Ridley used to be the big red flag on "how to see if a leak is fake." At least since the first one is so simple, there's not much to doubt...but not much to go with either. It also doesn't imply Ridley will be at E3, so if he's not, that doesn't necessarily deconfirm him.

The second is the sketchier one since, while I can believe that they'll be reusing some assets, I don't know if the'll be able to bring back all of the guests AND add a bunch of newcomers. I'd rather some older vets return as well (Squirtle plz), but that seems wish-fulfillment-y. I also don't know about Simon getting in over Snake, but...

How awesome would that be if every vet was back though? Balancing nightmare for the competitive scene, but talk about 'best party game' for casuals like me.

I've always thought Ridley would be unlockable so he'd not get confirmed at E3, but I've warmed up to the idea considering I can't see anyone who would bring more hype. True, people like 3rd parties and most of the fanbase isn't hard core Nintendo, but at E3? Everyone there will know of the whole Ridley saga and would react accordingly. See how Etika's (and others') YouTube reaction videos went with the Mewtwo reveal - that'll be Ridley at E3.

Out of curiosity though, what was that other leak we had a few pages ago where they hinted Ridley would appear at E3 in more than just videos? Did that come from Vergeben too?
I think that was his third source which I don't believe in as much. Also people are reading into it wrong , he didn't say more than videos, he said more than just a reveal, or something...basically it could mean Ridley in another game which would probably be MP4. Just saying he didn't say "out of video"

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito

Simply put, Snake got into brawl because of Kojima's relationship with Sakurai. I would highly doubt, given their treatment of him, that Snake would return in any way as long as Sakurai is developing Smash. This is why Simon even seems unlikely; Konami has dug themselves into a hole and, given the treatment of his friend Kojima, I doubt Sakurai would add Simon Belmont despite him being a great character choice.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I think that was his third source which I don't believe in as much. Also people are reading into it wrong , he didn't say more than videos, he said more than just a reveal, or something...basically it could mean Ridley in another game which would probably be MP4. Just saying he didn't say "out of video"
The full quote:
DasVergeben said:
My sources are different.

I can't really get into the other thing I want to say, because it could implicate people, but I even had a third source come to me and tell me about Ridley recently that also pertains to E3. But if I can try to be subtle.... they say he'll have a presence there outside of just being revealed for the game.
Assuming this is true, this could mean plenty of potential things.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wii U only had 8 unlockable characters, maybe we'll have a fair few unlockable newcomers this time instead.

And announcing all the vets returning would be a great way to hype people up, like "you get to play all your favourite characters in addition to all these newcomers!"

Just hope it's much closer to 12 or 14 unlockable characters like melee/brawl. And not 8 from t Wii U and 3ds got the the same amount as melee (sakurai next time accept making the 4 unlockable in Wii U)

And also that it's much too easy to unlock them in both version

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think the days of character unlocking is in the past
I'd rather have unlockable costumes to serve a similar purpose

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think the days of character unlocking is in the past
I'd rather have unlockable costumes to serve a similar purpose
I'd personally be pissed if they gutted the single player experience by removing unlockables.

I live in an area with less than 700 people permanently living here, and internet isn't great. The single player part of Smash is something that's critical to my enjoyment of the game, and unlockable characters are a lot more satisfying than just the trophies and whatnot.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'd personally be pissed if they gutted the single player experience by removing unlockables.

I live in an area with less than 700 people permanently living here, and internet isn't great. The single player part of Smash is something that's critical to my enjoyment of the game, and unlockable characters are a lot more satisfying than just the trophies and whatnot.
YES!

I'm one of those people who prefer to play alone. I don't mind local multiplayer, but I maybe get to see a friend come by once every four months or so... I don't like playing online with random people.

Not to mention that now online play will cost money, so a lot more people are going to be playing single player.

SSB4 was really a disappointment for single player modes, especially the WiiU. I hope this one gets more to do alone. Not everyone has amazing internet connection or a group of friends who can come by whenever.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Oh, wow, I love it.

Do you happen to have a version of that Ridley with preexisting characters for scale? Samus included, preferably.
I've been posting that version for a while, but it's understandable not wanting to parse through the past 20 pages for my version of Ridley.

And him in various poses in 8-player Smash on Battlefield.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

To each their own. I suggested awhile back that I'd like for their to be a cheat to quickly unlock all the characters and stages, like making a tag that says "NOFUN" or something, which would be perfect for people like me, lmfao.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
To each their own. I suggested awhile back that I'd like for their to be a cheat to quickly unlock all the characters and stages, like making a tag that says "NOFUN" or something, which would be perfect for people like me, lmfao.
that make the unlockable route pointless if you can just put in a code and accomplish the same thing

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
that make the unlockable route pointless if you can just put in a code and accomplish the same thing
What ? No it doesn't, people who want to be surprised by the hidden characters and still have the challenge of facing them in battle.

Plus the challenger approaching screen is just awesome

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I've been posting that version for a while, but it's understandable not wanting to parse through the past 20 pages for my version of Ridley.

And him in various poses in 8-player Smash on Battlefield.
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to post that.

Yeah, I apologize if that came across as unnecessarily blunt. It wasn't intended to be.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to post that.

Yeah, I apologize if that came across as unnecessarily blunt. It wasn't intended to be.
It's all good with me
I mean, it's fairly pointless to me now anyway. I don't have a lot of time for gaming anymore, I tend to avoid single players, because they're long term commitments. Having to grind for characters/stages just isn't really ideal for me anymore. Being able to have everything available day 1 would be really nice for me, especially if it doesn't rob others of the experience they want as well.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
It's all good with me

I mean, it's fairly pointless to me now anyway. I don't have a lot of time for gaming anymore, I tend to avoid single players, because they're long term commitments. Having to grind for characters/stages just isn't really ideal for me anymore. Being able to have everything available day 1 would be really nice for me, especially if it doesn't rob others of the experience they want as well.
switch being a handheld should help fix that

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
switch being a handheld should help fix that
I have a job. I'm not just constantly commuting, riding on a bus like they advertise, I'm working 12 of the 16 hours I'm up.

For me it's a QOL thing. Yeah, I can do all the stuff and get it done eventually, but I'd rather just get to the part of the game I love.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
TIL half of my favorite games are pointless because they have cheat codes that break the game...

They're called cheat codes intentionally, they're made for when you don't want to play through the game again. Having the secret ability to gogout of your way and unlock everything with no hassle doesn't affect me at all.

Even as someone who loves unlocks I certainly would have loved this ability during Sm4sh. Unlocking every custom move wasn't fun to anyone.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Unlocking every custom move wasn't fun to anyone.
...well grinding for characters was fun in Melee/Brawl. Grinding for custom moves was pointless and frustrating, and I don't even think I finished in WiiU.

The custom move thing was (like several things in Smash) a good idea but poorly executed. But like most things (*coughtransformationmechanicscough*), I'd rather they fix it than just removing it entirely. If they wanted to collect those, they should have set it like CDs - where once one was unlocked, you didn't have the potential of collecting it again. Also, the 'gear' thing was not that interesting, so I didn't like how 'custom part' could mean 'Mii costume', 'custom move,' or 'useless gear.'

I'm okay with an unlock-everything code. Melee did get a bit grindy for some characters (Mewtwo), but WiiU felt a little too quick. Naturally Brawl did it best since you had multiple ways to unlock everyone, and I always went the SSE route.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I wish character unlocks appeared on the Challenge board. I mean, they're about the only unlockable feature (minus a few menu options) yet to appear there. It'd be cool to have an easy way to know what the unlock criteria for some characters are without having to go to the internet and spoiling who the unlockable character is. Oh, and of course, you can spend hammers to quickly unlock someone without having to meet their unlock criteria.

While we're there, should a player challenge an unlockable fighter, but fail to defeat them, make their space on the challenge board "semi unlocked" (as in, you can see what the requirements are and you're able to open it with a hammer, but isn't actually completed), so you have a reminder on how to unlock the character again. And, maybe, also give the player the choice of re fighting them once they've been challenged, by paying a fee (of Smash coins) instead of going through the same unlock method again. Maybe make said fee increase with each failed attempt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom