• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This is def the perfect size for Ridley.

Guys, I heard people saying Emily Rogers teased Ridley, anyone know about that?

I do think this is the best time for Ridley to finally be playable because of Metroid 4 being released this year.
Emily Rogers didn't tease him, but other Resetera mods did before the reveal trailer.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Emily Rogers just teased that it will be the best roster in smash and that it will make a lot of people happy.
I'm really doubtfull about what Emily Roger can say...
Does she even know what hype characters are for hardcore fans like us ?
We want K.Rool, Ridley, Wolf, Krystal and the likes.

She is probably looking at things with casual eyes, for her best roster is with hype characters like Rayman, Snake, Raving Rabbid, Goku, even Shrek lol
Of course someof those are wanted, but she probably have no clue of the 1st party Nintendo ones fans want, especially the long overdue ones.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This is def the perfect size for Ridley.

Guys, I heard people saying Emily Rogers teased Ridley, anyone know about that?

I do think this is the best time for Ridley to finally be playable because of Metroid 4 being released this year.
no MP4 is not being released this year

however a canada wal-mart leak did show that metroid prime 4 will be talked about at E3 (supposivly) so ridley could be promoted for that if turely in.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'm really doubtfull about what Emily Roger can say...
Does she even know what hype characters are for hardcore fans like us ?
We want K.Rool, Ridley, Wolf, Krystal and the likes.

She is probably looking at things with casual eyes, for her best roster is with hype characters like Rayman, Snake, Raving Rabbid, Goku, even Shrek lol
Of course someof those are wanted, but she probably have no clue of the 1st party Nintendo ones fans want, especially the long overdue ones.
What the heck are you talking about...?

So casual wants are just memes and Rayman/Snake? Why do hardcore fans want Krystal? When did Ridley & K. Rool become hardcore exclusive wants?

What makes you assume Emily Rogers (an industry veteran who knows a lot about Nintendo fan culture specifically) doesn't know what is popular?

Last edited:

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys, I've been a Lurker in this forum since not that long ago but I have been a Ridley supporter fan since before Brawl. I have finally taken the time to create an account and be part of this community :).
I know the Simon/Ridley leak cannot be trusted 100% but it still has hyped me up. Since then, I can't stop picturing scenarios of how they would reveal Ridley on E3, I saw a couple of pages back on this thread an sketch that involved Samus fighting against yoshi and kirby followed by the shadow of Ridley appearing in front of the smash fire logo.
I came up with a couple of ideas for example, a CGI trailer where Mario and Samus are fighting in the pyrosphere stage, they keep going until they hear Ridley's roar. Both of them stop and look at the background of the stage preparing for the "Stage Hazard" to arrive, after a few seconds he doesn't appear until it comes from the side (SuperMetroid version or Proteus Ridley version, anything except Other M appearance) sending Mario flying away and preparing to attack Samus on the spot. BAM Ridley "insert newcomer phrase" playable character!
I would like to read everyone's imaginative scenarios and I think it may keep us busy while we wait for E3.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Right now, I wonder if we have a CO-director for this Smash Bros., not just Sakurai.
Or maybe they finally realize that Ridley's size wasn't as consistent as they thought it would be.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Now that I think about it, Ridley would make for some pretty good promotion of Prime 4, wouldn't he?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
He was for Prime 3, so why not? He’ll be more initially expected too than he was with Samus Returns. Was understandable to not expect him at first for that since it was a remake of a game he originally wasn’t in, and his appearance was treated as spoiler for awhile due to also being the final boss, but I don’t think showing MP4 footage of him like they did with Meta Ridley in MP3 will be spoiling too much in comparison, if that makes sense.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He was for Prime 3, so why not? He’ll be more initially expected too than he was with Samus Returns. Was understandable to not expect him at first for that since it was a remake of a game he originally wasn’t in, and his appearance was treated as spoiler for awhile due to also being the final boss, but I don’t think showing MP4 footage of him like they did with Meta Ridley in MP3 will be spoiling too much in comparison, if that makes sense.
Other M also showed him in its reveal trailer despite it being a huge spoiler, it completely ruined all of the suspense with the mysterious creature.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ridley alone would be a huge selling point for MP4, especially if he ends up in Smash. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he pops up in MP4's first real trailer, regardless of whether or not it would be a spoiler.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Is there a reason people expect Ridley to be heavily marketed? It's not like he hasn't been in almost every Metroid. They've already had opportunities to say "hey we have this cybernetic alien space pirate dragon, buy our game!". Unless I'm forgetting, he's never been central to marketing, so why would that change now?

I do agree Ridley will probably be used to "market" Prime 4 to the more "core" crowd, but that really has less to do with sales and more to do with exciting the fans.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Here you go.

Sorry about the Charizard being farther away. I had to use uncooperative CPUs in order to get the screenshot since I don't have any spare controllers at the moment.

Also, what's this I'm hearing about Simon Belmont? Another "leak" or something?
this looks actually rly good, i mean i cant say that he looks wrong to me. and unlike 4 years ago i dont hate the other m ridley anymore, he could get a BIT rounder and get better textures, however i would not be mad if we get this ridley JUST LIKE THIS in smahs, it looks kinda right to me... or am i wrong here?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We are only 20 days away from E3. Its interesting to see activity return to pre-Smash 4 levels in this thread.

I was going to write about this a week ago, but I got caught up in other matters. In general, I have not been able to write much for my Ultimate Smash Bros. Switch Character Analysis.

I am not sure whether other Ridley fans have noticed this milestone, but as of last week, the movement for Ridley to become a playable character in Smash Bros. turned 17 years old. It was Ridley's appearance in the Melee trailer at E3 2001 that was the catalyst to him becoming one of the most highly requested newcomers for the Smash Bros. series for the last 17 years.

I myself, had already been wanting Ridley two years prior to that date (ever since I saw Ridley flying in the background to Planet Zebes in Smash 64).

The Ridley fanbase has been around the newcomer hope scene nearly as long as the newcomer hope scene has been with us. Its amazing how after three games where hopes were dashed, and even an outright dismissal by the creator/director of the Smash Bros. series, Ridley fans are still strong and hopeful.

Granted, this time around most Ridley fans no longer see Ridley as likely like they did with Brawl and Smash 4, however, they still feel the need to voice their support for the Cunning God of Death.

Things this time might actually be more bleak for Ridley than they were for him during Melee's time (when the series was still going through a major hiatus, although two new games were in development at the time). Sakurai's sentiments regarding Ridley's size are not too far off from the screeds and screeches of the Too Bigots.

I, too, am not optimistic about Ridley's prognostics for Smash Bros. Switch based on what Sakurai has said about Ridley back in late 2014. However, I still dream of Ridley making the roster, but I am not letting my hopes up.

However, as bleak as things look for Ridley through a non-biased prism, many must still have hope, no matter how peculiarly it twists and contorts.

It is from here that I make a reflection upon another character whom was very invested in during pre-Smash 4, Roy.

For 2013 onward (aside from the fantastic re-design Roy received as DLC for FE13), things just got increasingly bleak for Roy's return. Awakening ended up being the second highest selling Fire Emblem game in Japan, and the highest selling game ever for the series worldwide, which made it mandatory for the game to receive playable representation. Roy fans were constantly besieged by Awakening fans, but Roy fans held on despite the crashing waves of new fan dynamism.

Then in July 2014, some Roy fans (including myself) were vindicated in regards to Chrom (saying that he did not contrast enough with Marth and Ike to warrant playable inclusion), but also paid a horrible price. Awakening was given two characters, and thus Fire Emblem had four playable characters, more than enough in the eyes of most Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem fans. Moreover, Roy fans had the extra luck that one of the two newcomers happened to be a Marth clone (Lucina).

It was at this point that most Roy fans resigned themselves that Roy probably was not going to make the base roster, but still hoped that he would be a choice for DLC even if there was already a Marth clone in the game. However, the prospect as a likely addition for DLC also soon became dire when the Smash Bros. speculation scene finally learned of the full roster with Smash 4 3DS's release in September 2014. Many popular veterans such as the Lucas, Wolf, Snake, and the Ice Climbers did not return. Moreover, the popular cut Melee veteran, Mewtwo, also had not return.

Now, while before Roy fans were under the expectation he would be one of the few veteran DLC characters (due to the conventional belief that nearly all of Brawl's roster and Mewtwo would be in the default roster), now they had to fight off fans of other veterans as well as the sentiment that Fire Emblem had all the characters it needed and did not need yet another Marth clone. The situation was just becoming more and more dire for the Roy fanbase.

Finally, with the reveal of the Koopalings as alts for Bowser Jr., many Roy detractors took to "durr hurr, Roy is already in the game", leaving some individuals to wonder if Roy was even possible any more since that would leave two characters named Roy in the game (I find it funny that Sakurai capitalized on this sort of rivalry by showing Roy attack Roy Koopa in his unveil trailer, as well as showing a picture for Roy's page on the Smash Bros. website of Roy Koopa sinking in lava while Roy does a fist pump).

So now the Roy fanbase faced the one of the worst possible predicaments to be in:
1. Fire Emblem had four slots.
2. One of those four slots was to a Marth clone (Lucina).
3. Lots of popular veterans did not return for Smash 4 as well as Mewtwo (Lucas, Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, and Mewtwo fans all believed that they outpriortized Roy).
4. Some fans believed Roy Koopa sharing the same first name as Roy would keep him off the roster.

At this point Roy fans believed Roy's only chance would be if there was an exceptional amount of DLC characters available for Smash 4. Many Roy fans focused on being thankful for Project M (which actually increased Roy's support for Smash 4 due to it showing how much fun a luigified version of a Marth clone could be if properly balanced), and realized that Roy may never return. Some Roy fans took hope in the fact that Dr. Mario returning (a much less popular Melee veteran who was also planned for Brawl like Mewtwo and Roy) meant Mewtwo and Roy would shortly return too. Regardless, the situation was pretty dire and many Roy fans realized that our boy's time would not be with Smash 4.

However, through the darkest night, the hidden emergent dawn was letting its first rays begin to shine through. The first was Sakurai's statement that he tried all he could to get the Ice Climbers into Smash 4 3DS and due to his desire wanting both versions of the game to share the same roster, they were cut from Smash 4 entirely. This made many in the Smash community believe the Ice Climbers were no longer even a contender for DLC thus eliminating a major competitor in possible limited veteran DLC slots.

Another ray of hope was the announcement of Mewtwo's return as DLC in Smash 4 in November 2014. Again, this removed another veteran fanbase from attacking Roy, and for some Roy fans showed that Sakurai really wanted to bring back Melee's cut veterans (Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy were all planned for Brawl). Now the main contenders for veteran DLC were Lucas, Wolf, Snake, and Roy.

The announcement of Hideo Kojima's departure from Konami made many wonder if Snake would even happen as DLC due to Kojima being the main individual to have pressed Sakurai on even including Snake to begin with. However, in general, the Snake fanbase was still pretty strong as a contender for DLC.

Roy fans held tight and held on despite the situation still being very dire and like with the Ridley fans from 2014 onward, had hope despite having little to solicit such hope.

From November to the beginning of April, the Roy fanbase was fighting a siege on all sides. The Roy fanbase was used to fights, having been put down and insulted ferociously for the last eight years. It was a never ending war. The Roy fanbase continued on despite realizing that things would probably not work out in the end for our boy.

In April, Sakurai had announced another DLC character, Lucas. This eliminated another competitor to Roy, but also made many uneasy due to the belief that DLC slots, especially for veterans, was very limited (such a belief ultimately ended up being vindicated). At this point the only three veterans with large fanbases for their return that were still seen as "viable" were Wolf, Snake, and Roy (the Ice Climbers also had a large fanbase, but due to technical limitations many did not see DLC as a possibility for them in Smash 4 due to the hardware limitations of the 3DS). There was also the announcement of the Smash Bros. ballot which opened the doors directly for Roy fans to finally voice their support directly to Nintendo for Roy's return (however, this much more galvanized newcomer fanbases).

In mid-April, when Club Nintendo members got their hands on the Mewtwo DLC, for the first time in two years, Roy fans were finally given genuine hope. Those who combed the internal files for DLC, noticed that alongside Lucas were the names of two other characters that were not yet in Smash Bros. 4, Roy and Ryu!

Many Roy fans were absolutely ecstatic, they believed that this meant that Roy's return would be imminent. Even myself, I was now hopeful.

However, the detractors of Roy were angry and howled with fury upon the realization that their years of fake information, gaslighting, and bitter vitriol would have been for naught. They countered that those internal files meant nothing and that they were just "leftover ideas" as had been the case for Brawl's unused characters. They said there was absolutely no way Sakurai and his team would let slip two unannounced DLC characters. They screamed it meant nothing and had no legitimacy to it. They further argued that Sakurai's own statements regarding characters who originally hailed from fighting games as well as Sakurai's statements about Chrom had de-confirmed Ryu and Roy respectively.

As always, a lot of Smash Bros. fans agreed with those who screamed the loudest. However, Roy fans felt the winds of victory at their backs for the first time in years, and passionately defended their boy like they had never done so before. They vehemently argued that there were particular details about the DLC update that made it likely that these were not leftover ideas, but rather proof for future plans.

This battle continued for the next two months. Roy fans felt that it was only a matter of time before Roy's return, though some were nervous that the detractors might be right and that the internal files would mean nothing in the ending. Those two months seemed to drag on forever.

Finally, on June 14th, two months after the files in Smash 4 had been seen, Roy and Ryu were finally given formal unveil trailers. Roy fans, had finally been vindicated and got to enjoy Roy's return, and it was better than they imagined. Nearly everyone enjoyed Roy's updated design and the luigifications made to his moveset. Many people accepted there being five slots for Fire Emblem too.

The long war had finally ended for Roy fans. Our boy had finally come home.

It was at this point, that I finally decided to retire from the Smash Bros. community. Ridley was the character got me into the community scene (his appearance in the Melee trailer was the impetus that got me to register and be involved in Smash Bros. discussion), and Sakurai's own statements regarding Ridley made me realize that as long as Sakurai was at the helm for deciding the roster that Ridley probably would not ever make it in. I had also spent the last eight years supporting Roy's return in Smash Bros., so with the announcement of Roy's return I felt at least my retirement from Smash Bros. speculation could at least end on a half triumphant note.

However, for the last three years, I have still felt despite being very happy with Smash 4's roster choices (particularly with the guests that were added, the new Nintendo series added, and the veterans brought back), that it still was not complete, and would never feel complete, without Ridley. Back in 2010, I made a piece calling Ridley, "The Last Nintendo All-Star". Maybe I was wrong then, but I feel in 2018, where nearly every major Nintendo franchise now has a playable representative (with Rhythm Heaven being the only odd one out at this point), maybe it bears repeating.

Ridley is a titan among prospective Nintendo newcomers. 17 years on, there are still many dreaming of him joining the Smash Bros. series roster. I am no longer involved in the speculation scene, however, for the last few weeks I have been lurking and I now have an interest in seeing where Sakurai takes the series after Smash 4.

I am not optimistic at all in regards to the "leaks" (more like rumors) saying Ridley will be in, especially so for someone that has seen so many "leaks" with Ridley be part of it for the last 17 years. Maybe this time will be different, who knows. Hopefully the answer will be known in 20 days.

Regardless, the reason I posted the story I did was to inspire hope to the Ridley fanbase. The Roy fanbase had been under constant attack non-stop for many years by largely ignorant detractors, much like Ridley fans now are. Moreover, it showed that despite things simply getting more and more bleak and dire, that ultimately in the end, the dreams were realized. Roy had just as much to overcome just as Ridley does now (I would say the situations now in regard to Ridley is basically the same as it was for Roy back in the second half of 2014 and first several months of 2015).

Ridley fans, regardless of whether this E3 finally ends our long, long war or not, we should at least continue to dream. Even if they never materialize in an actual Smash Bros. game, we can still appreciate and enjoy Ridley, whether its through Smash Bros. mods or his appearances within the Metroid series.

I have no expectations in regards to E3. There have only been two times where I fully expected Ridley to have an unveil at E3. The first time was 2006 (boy, was Zero Suit Samus a punch in the gut), and the second time in 2013 (where I fully expected him to be among the first newcomers unveiled). After the April 2014 Direct, I had resigned myself that Ridley was not happening as a playable character in Smash 4.

So for E3 2018, for the first time since Melee, I am not expecting Ridley, but I am still hopeful that he somehow happens anyway. Characters like Bandanna Dee, Toad/Captain Toad, Rex & Pyra and K. Rool are all strong contenders for the formal unveil. As for third-parties, who knows. Smash 4 pretty much got the strongest and biggest names for guests. There is perhaps Bomberman as an iconic figure, but there might also be the possibility Sakurai extends Smash Bros. to characters that did not originate within a video game.

We shall see. However, it is heartening to see for the first time since November 2014, Ridley fans are once again hopeful. Regardless of whether the catalyst was rumors or something of the heart, let us dream for the next 20 days. Hopefully, the longest war will finally be over.

This was a legendary struggle within the Smash Bros. fanbase, perhaps the single most enduring one (and unlike many others, had many ups and downs). To finally have Ridley be playable would be legendary to say the least.

The struggles I endured at being at the forefront of the Roy fanbase has also made me sympathetic to the plight of all Smash Bros. veterans. Even Dark Pit and Corrin should return for Smash Switch, and I think even cut veterans with few asking for their return (Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur) should return as well. Let Smash Bros. Switch be the ultimate Smash Bros. regardless of whether Ridley is added or not. I truly feel for fans of some of the less popular characters of Smash Bros. series now, and hopefully that will not have to undergo the struggle that the Roy fanbase had to endure for many years.

If these last few weeks are the last ones Ridley will spend as dreamers (whether he is actually confirmed in the end or hopes are dashed again), dream like you have never dreamed before. Let us speculate and imagine as we have since 2001. This may be our last time. As Ridley Prime has said, much of the old guard of Ridley fans are moving on with our lives away from the speculation communities. Many notable Smash Bros. fans from pre-Brawl and pre-Smash 4 (such as Oasis_S) have not returned with this round.

I have not been involved with the Smash Bros. community for a few years (at best I have been lurking and sending private messages), and my interest in this game is much less compared to the previous four installments of Smash Bros. I may not even get it (I do not even own a Switch, and I did not get even get Smash 4 on the Wii U since I did not own a Wii U. My Smash 4 experience was as a 3DS title). Regardless, I am curious about the direction this installment to Smash Bros. takes since the only obvious newcomer has already been confirmed (Inklings).

It is my hope that Ridley will finally make it in with this game. I am not optimistic (I do not even see Ridley's prospects as 50/50), but I am hopeful (at least in the run up to E3).

Hopefully, the turnabout winds the Roy fanbase had will be at the backs of the Ridley fans.

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
"never to fight again," you say? nay, friend! though your tale speaks truly of a parting of ways, there are always battles to be fought.

in a distant jungle, another reptilian king as worthy as our own has waited just as long to take his rightful place.
lightyears from here, an old rival's blaster has remained holstered for too long, and a companion of his would surely wish to take up her staff and join the fight.
even further beyond the stars, in a heavenly plane, a once-noble puppet lies in wait - though he has gathered dust over many years, his followers remain loyal and hopeful for his return.

all these mighty warriors and many more will surely need our support if they are ever to win a place in this meeting of legends, and i for one will not retract my claws until i see victory for all those whom i've pledged to support. even so, the time we've spent and the tests we've endured will not be soon forgotten.
so i took the liberty to rewrite it a little just because i can, i hope you enjoy

And thus, the Heroes that fought for Ridley got what they wanted!
The fight was finaly over... there was no need to keep fighting together, so they took different Paths, returning Home... to never fight again
thus losing the community that they had...
*NAY* said One of Warriors heart,
Friend* he said * though you speak tales of truth, parting ways of new Adventuers*
there are always Battles to be fought.
As of now, i shall be fighting another War, of Green and Wild ... never to be restless
another far off the stars, Dusty and Old,
OUR LEGACY SHALL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN
for it was a good Fight, a glorious Victory, through the Darkest of Hours
Today they shall sing songs of Ridley and his Pirate Crew, bonded together with heart and soul,
for we shall aid those mighty warriors, enter the Frey of Battlefields as Heroes together, as Our Lord once did before, again... and again
So shed no tears and remember the best of times
together as we once stood against the mightiest of foes,
the words of the allmighty Sakurai,
attempting to shatter our Dream and Hope
because Space Pirates never faulter...
NOW MY BROTHER RAISE YOURE CUPS AND ENJOY THE SHOW, FOR NOW WE SHALL DRINK

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Other M also showed him in its reveal trailer despite it being a huge spoiler, it completely ruined all of the suspense with the mysterious creature.
I actually forgot about that to be honest. Yeah, Ridley was just showed in the first Other M trailer nonchalantly, but I still didn’t know Little Birdie and the Mystery Creature would become him, so that was still a surprise for me. I didn’t appreciate them spoiling Ridley’s presence in Samus Returns on a Nintendo direct the same week the game came out, hype as it was.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
What i find interesting about the leak, it's not that Ridley was leaked, but with who else. Simon and Ridley sounds like a great pair for a trailer, the later fits that trope of monster that Simon battles on castlevania, so making both fight each other of a trailer sounds like poetry. (but also too good to be true)

Still skeptical about all this info, but al least we don't have to wait much longer to see if this was true or false.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
We are only 20 days away from E3. Its interesting to see activity return to pre-Smash 4 levels in this thread.

I was going to write about this a week ago, but I got caught up in other matters. In general, I have not been able to write much for my Ultimate Smash Bros. Switch Character Analysis.

I am not sure whether other Ridley fans have noticed this milestone, but as of last week, the movement for Ridley to become a playable character in Smash Bros. turned 17 years old. It was Ridley's appearance in the Melee trailer at E3 2001 that was the catalyst to him becoming one of the most highly requested newcomers for the Smash Bros. series for the last 17 years.

I myself, had already been wanting Ridley two years prior to that date (ever since I saw Ridley flying in the background to Planet Zebes in Smash 64).

The Ridley fanbase has been around the newcomer hope scene nearly as long as the newcomer hope scene has been with us. Its amazing how after three games where hopes were dashed, and even an outright dismissal by the creator/director of the Smash Bros. series, Ridley fans are still strong and hopeful.

Granted, this time around most Ridley fans no longer see Ridley as likely like they did with Brawl and Smash 4, however, they still feel the need to voice their support for the Cunning God of Death.

Things this time might actually be more bleak for Ridley than they were for him during Melee's time (when the series was still going through a major hiatus, although two new games were in development at the time). Sakurai's sentiments regarding Ridley's size are not too far off from the screeds and screeches of the Too Bigots.

I, too, am not optimistic about Ridley's prognostics for Smash Bros. Switch based on what Sakurai has said about Ridley back in late 2014. However, I still dream of Ridley making the roster, but I am not letting my hopes up.

However, as bleak as things look for Ridley through a non-biased prism, many must still have hope, no matter how peculiarly it twists and contorts.

It is from here that I make a reflection upon another character whom was very invested in during pre-Smash 4, Roy.

For 2013 onward (aside from the fantastic re-design Roy received as DLC for FE13), things just got increasingly bleak for Roy's return. Awakening ended up being the second highest selling Fire Emblem game in Japan, and the highest selling game ever for the series worldwide, which made it mandatory for the game to receive playable representation. Roy fans were constantly besieged by Awakening fans, but Roy fans held on despite the crashing waves of new fan dynamism.

Then in July 2014, some Roy fans (including myself) were vindicated in regards to Chrom (saying that he did not contrast enough with Marth and Ike to warrant playable inclusion), but also paid a horrible price. Awakening was given two characters, and thus Fire Emblem had four playable characters, more than enough in the eyes of most Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem fans. Moreover, Roy fans had the extra luck that one of the two newcomers happened to be a Marth clone (Lucina).

It was at this point that most Roy fans resigned themselves that Roy probably was not going to make the base roster, but still hoped that he would be a choice for DLC even if there was already a Marth clone in the game. However, the prospect as a likely addition for DLC also soon became dire when the Smash Bros. speculation scene finally learned of the full roster with Smash 4 3DS's release in September 2014. Many popular veterans such as the Lucas, Wolf, Snake, and the Ice Climbers did not return. Moreover, the popular cut Melee veteran, Mewtwo, also had not return.

Now, while before Roy fans were under the expectation he would be one of the few veteran DLC characters (due to the conventional belief that nearly all of Brawl's roster and Mewtwo would be in the default roster), now they had to fight off fans of other veterans as well as the sentiment that Fire Emblem had all the characters it needed and did not need yet another Marth clone. The situation was just becoming more and more dire for the Roy fanbase.

Finally, with the reveal of the Koopalings as alts for Bowser Jr., many Roy detractors took to "durr hurr, Roy is already in the game", leaving some individuals to wonder if Roy was even possible any more since that would leave two characters named Roy in the game (I find it funny that Sakurai capitalized on this sort of rivalry by showing Roy attack Roy Koopa in his unveil trailer, as well as showing a picture for Roy's page on the Smash Bros. website of Roy Koopa sinking in lava while Roy does a fist pump).

So now the Roy fanbase faced the one of the worst possible predicaments to be in:
3. Lots of popular veterans did not return for Smash 4 as well as Mewtwo (Lucas, Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, and Mewtwo fans all believed that they outpriortized Roy).
4. Some fans believed Roy Koopa sharing the same first name as Roy would keep him off the roster.

At this point Roy fans believed Roy's only chance would be if there was an exceptional amount of DLC characters available for Smash 4. Many Roy fans focused on being thankful for Project M (which actually increased Roy's support for Smash 4 due to it showing how much fun a luigified version of a Marth clone could be if properly balanced), and realized that Roy may never return. Some Roy fans took hope in the fact that Dr. Mario returning (a much less popular Melee veteran who was also planned for Brawl like Mewtwo and Roy) meant Mewtwo and Roy would shortly return too. Regardless, the situation was pretty dire and many Roy fans realized that our boy's time would not be with Smash 4.

However, through the darkest night, the hidden emergent dawn was letting its first rays begin to shine through. The first was Sakurai's statement that he tried all he could to get the Ice Climbers into Smash 4 3DS and due to his desire wanting both versions of the game to share the same roster, they were cut from Smash 4 entirely. This made many in the Smash community believe the Ice Climbers were no longer even a contender for DLC thus eliminating a major competitor in possible limited veteran DLC slots.

Another ray of hope was the announcement of Mewtwo's return as DLC in Smash 4 in November 2014. Again, this removed another veteran fanbase from attacking Roy, and for some Roy fans showed that Sakurai really wanted to bring back Melee's cut veterans (Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy were all planned for Brawl). Now the main contenders for veteran DLC were Lucas, Wolf, Snake, and Roy.

The announcement of Hideo Kojima's departure from Konami made many wonder if Snake would even happen as DLC due to Kojima being the main individual to have pressed Sakurai on even including Snake to begin with. However, in general, the Snake fanbase was still pretty strong as a contender for DLC.

Roy fans held tight and held on despite the situation still being very dire and like with the Ridley fans from 2014 onward, had hope despite having little to solicit such hope.

From November to the beginning of April, the Roy fanbase was fighting a siege on all sides. The Roy fanbase was used to fights, having been put down and insulted ferociously for the last eight years. It was a never ending war. The Roy fanbase continued on despite realizing that things would probably not work out in the end for our boy.

In April, Sakurai had announced another DLC character, Lucas. This eliminated another competitor to Roy, but also made many uneasy due to the belief that DLC slots, especially for veterans, was very limited (such a belief ultimately ended up being vindicated). At this point the only three veterans with large fanbases for their return that were still seen as "viable" were Wolf, Snake, and Roy (the Ice Climbers also had a large fanbase, but due to technical limitations many did not see DLC as a possibility for them in Smash 4 due to the hardware limitations of the 3DS). There was also the announcement of the Smash Bros. ballot which opened the doors directly for Roy fans to finally voice their support directly to Nintendo for Roy's return (however, this much more galvanized newcomer fanbases).

In mid-April, when Club Nintendo members got their hands on the Mewtwo DLC, for the first time in two years, Roy fans were finally given genuine hope. Those who combed the internal files for DLC, noticed that alongside Lucas were the names of two other characters that were not yet in Smash Bros. 4, Roy and Ryu!

Many Roy fans were absolutely ecstatic, they believed that this meant that Roy's return would be imminent. Even myself, I was now hopeful.

However, the detractors of Roy were angry and howled with fury upon the realization that their years of fake information, gaslighting, and bitter vitriol would have been for naught. They countered that those internal files meant nothing and that they were just "leftover ideas" as had been the case for Brawl's unused characters. They said there was absolutely no way Sakurai and his team would let slip two unannounced DLC characters. They screamed it meant nothing and had no legitimacy to it. They further argued that Sakurai's own statements regarding characters who originally hailed from fighting games as well as Sakurai's statements about Chrom had de-confirmed Ryu and Roy respectively.

As always, a lot of Smash Bros. fans agreed with those who screamed the loudest. However, Roy fans felt the winds of victory at their backs for the first time in years, and passionately defended their boy like they had never done so before. They vehemently argued that there were particular details about the DLC update that made it likely that these were not leftover ideas, but rather proof for future plans.

This battle continued for the next two months. Roy fans felt that it was only a matter of time before Roy's return, though some were nervous that the detractors might be right and that the internal files would mean nothing in the ending. Those two months seemed to drag on forever.

Finally, on June 14th, two months after the files in Smash 4 had been seen, Roy and Ryu were finally given formal unveil trailers. Roy fans, had finally been vindicated and got to enjoy Roy's return, and it was better than they imagined. Nearly everyone enjoyed Roy's updated design and the luigifications made to his moveset. Many people accepted there being five slots for Fire Emblem too.

It was at this point, that I finally decided to retire from the Smash Bros. community. Ridley was the character got me into the community scene (his appearance in the Melee trailer was the impetus that got me to register and be involved in Smash Bros. discussion), and Sakurai's own statements regarding Ridley made me realize that as long as Sakurai was at the helm for deciding the roster that Ridley probably would not ever make it in. I had also spent the last eight years supporting Roy's return in Smash Bros., so with the announcement of Roy's return I felt at least my retirement from Smash Bros. speculation could at least end on a half triumphant note.

However, for the last three years, I have still felt despite being very happy with Smash 4's roster choices (particularly with the guests that were added, the new Nintendo series added, and the veterans brought back), that it still was not complete, and would never feel complete, without Ridley. Back in 2010, I made a piece calling Ridley, "The Last Nintendo All-Star". Maybe I was wrong then, but I feel in 2018, where nearly every major Nintendo franchise now has a playable representative (with Rhythm Heaven being the only odd one out at this point), maybe it bears repeating.

Ridley is a titan among prospective Nintendo newcomers. 17 years on, there are still many dreaming of him joining the Smash Bros. series roster. I am no longer involved in the speculation scene, however, for the last few weeks I have been lurking and I now have an interest in seeing where Sakurai takes the series after Smash 4.

I am not optimistic at all in regards to the "leaks" (more like rumors) saying Ridley will be in, especially so for someone that has seen so many "leaks" with Ridley be part of it for the last 17 years. Maybe this time will be different, who knows. Hopefully the answer will be known in 20 days.

Regardless, the reason I posted the story I did was to inspire hope to the Ridley fanbase. The Roy fanbase had been under constant attack non-stop for many years by largely ignorant detractors, much like Ridley fans now are. Moreover, it showed that despite things simply getting more and more bleak and dire, that ultimately in the end, the dreams were realized. Roy had just as much to overcome just as Ridley does now (I would say the situations now in regard to Ridley is basically the same as it was for Roy back in the second half of 2014 and first several months of 2015).

Ridley fans, regardless of whether this E3 finally ends our long, long war or not, we should at least continue to dream. Even if they never materialize in an actual Smash Bros. game, we can still appreciate and enjoy Ridley, whether its through Smash Bros. mods or his appearances within the Metroid series.

I have no expectations in regards to E3. There have only been two times where I fully expected Ridley to have an unveil at E3. The first time was 2006 (boy, was Zero Suit Samus a punch in the gut), and the second time in 2013 (where I fully expected him to be among the first newcomers unveiled). After the April 2014 Direct, I had resigned myself that Ridley was not happening as a playable character in Smash 4.

So for E3 2018, for the first time since Melee, I am not expecting Ridley, but I am still hopeful that he somehow happens anyway. Characters like Bandanna Dee, Toad/Captain Toad, Rex & Pyra and K. Rool are all strong contenders for the formal unveil. As for third-parties, who knows. Smash 4 pretty much got the strongest and biggest names for guests. There is perhaps Bomberman as an iconic figure, but there might also be the possibility Sakurai extends Smash Bros. to characters that did not originate within a video game.

We shall see. However, it is heartening to see for the first time since November 2014, Ridley fans are once again hopeful. Regardless of whether the catalyst was rumors or something of the heart, let us dream for the next 20 days. Hopefully, the longest war will finally be over.

This was a legendary struggle within the Smash Bros. fanbase, perhaps the single most enduring one (and unlike many others, had many ups and downs). To finally have Ridley be playable would be legendary to say the least.

The struggles I endured at being at the forefront of the Roy fanbase has also made me sympathetic to the plight of all Smash Bros. veterans. Even Dark Pit and Corrin should return for Smash Switch, and I think even cut veterans with few asking for their return (Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur) should return as well. Let Smash Bros. Switch be the ultimate Smash Bros. regardless of whether Ridley is added or not. I truly feel for fans of some of the less popular characters of Smash Bros. series now, and hopefully that will not have to undergo the struggle that the Roy fanbase had to endure for many years.

If these last few weeks are the last ones Ridley will spend as dreamers (whether he is actually confirmed in the end or hopes are dashed again), dream like you have never dreamed before. Let us speculate and imagine as we have since 2001. This may be our last time. As Ridley Prime has said, much of the old guard of Ridley fans are moving on with our lives away from the speculation communities. Many notable Smash Bros. fans from pre-Brawl and pre-Smash 4 (such as Oasis_S) have not returned with this round.

I have not been involved with the Smash Bros. community for a few years (at best I have been lurking and sending private messages), and my interest in this game is much less compared to the previous four installments of Smash Bros. I may not even get it (I do not even own a Switch, and I did not get even get Smash 4 on the Wii U since I did not own a Wii U. My Smash 4 experience was as a 3DS title). Regardless, I am curious about the direction this installment to Smash Bros. takes since the only obvious newcomer has already been confirmed (Inklings).

It is my hope that Ridley will finally make it in with this game. I am not optimistic (I do not even see Ridley's prospects as 50/50), but I am hopeful (at least in the run up to E3).

Hopefully, the turnabout winds the Roy fanbase had will be at the backs of the Ridley fans.
call me ignorant but I see his hope is better now then in brawl and sb4

- there now is less hype first party they can add that's left, him and k rool is all I can think would bring in major hype. yes captain toad and the like are prob newcomers but would they bring as much hype?

- rumors, coming from a lot of different places, yes there to be taken with a grain of salt but unlike most leaks these has some merit that worth looking at.

- sakurai mind changes all the time

wildvine47

Smash Ace
great post
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you my man. Hope springs eternal, but after the hurt of Brawl and Smash 4 rumors and shadows and the like, I refuse to let that hope turn into belief. I may not have been the most regular poster, but I've been here since pre-Brawl myself (albeit under a different name), and this is also probably the last Smash game I'll be able to follow the speculation scene. Hell, I figured Smash 4 would be that, but this game happening as soon as it did caught me by surprise.

Here's to the Ridley old guard. We may be beaten down, we may not be as strong as we once were, and we may have what amounts to a death sentence direct from Sakurai himself, but so long as Smash Bros. exists, so will Ridley supporters. I'm ready to go for one last round on Sakurai's wild ride and see where it takes us. Even if the dream doesn't happen this time, there's plenty of bright new faces ready and willing to fight the good fight in our stead. One day I have faith we'll see Ridley counted amongst the rest of the greats on Smash's roster. It may not be this game. It may not be the next. I might be too busy by then as a game developer myself to even notice at first. I might be too busy with a job, or a family, or whatever other curveballs life throws at me by then to come here and celebrate. But one day, it WILL happen. And when it does happen, there'll be a smile on my face remembering how hard I once fought for a purple space dragon to be playable in a Nintendo fighting game.

Space pirates never truly die, after all. We've got a knack for sticking around one way or another.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
What the heck are you talking about...?

So casual wants are just memes and Rayman/Snake? Why do hardcore fans want Krystal? When did Ridley & K. Rool become hardcore exclusive wants?

What makes you assume Emily Rogers (an industry veteran who knows a lot about Nintendo fan culture specifically) doesn't know what is popular?
I think what he means (and something that irks me when I see fan rosters), is that most people just add third parties willy-nilly rather than add one's that really matter. It's especially irking when you have great first parties on the stands that could be implemented easily.

Now that I think about it, Ridley would make for some pretty good promotion of Prime 4, wouldn't he?
In all honesty, Prime deserves a rep of it's own. Metroid's incredible leap into 3D should be represented, so I'm hoping two metroid characters, Ridley and a Prime rep, make it to the final game. As much as I'd love to blush about Dark Samus, Sylux would probably be the way to go.

Emily Rogers just teased that it will be the best roster in smash and that it will make a lot of people happy.
Where did she say this? I couldn't find it anywhere ;_;
call me ignorant but I see his hope is better now then in brawl and sb4

- there now is less hype first party they can add that's left, him and k rool is all I can think would bring in major hype. yes captain toad and the like are prob newcomers but would they bring as much hype?

- rumors, coming from a lot of different places, yes there to be taken with a grain of salt but unlike most leaks these has some merit that worth looking at.

- sakurai mind changes all the time
We can only hope. At least no one has come out and said their faking this time, they seem to be on very firm ground about the statements.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Is there a reason people expect Ridley to be heavily marketed? It's not like he hasn't been in almost every Metroid. They've already had opportunities to say "hey we have this cybernetic alien space pirate dragon, buy our game!". Unless I'm forgetting, he's never been central to marketing, so why would that change now?

I do agree Ridley will probably be used to "market" Prime 4 to the more "core" crowd, but that really has less to do with sales and more to do with exciting the fans.
Well Ridley was also used in the final pre release trailer for Samus Returns, editting footage to hide him yet heavily implying he's in the game. That very trailer also said Smash fans should pay attention too mind you

D

Deleted member

We will always remember you Chrono, for your contributions to the Roy and Ridley fanbases (and Smash speculation as a whole). Your words of encouragement have helped a lot of supporters, and you honestly made speculation that much more entertaining because of the passion you had (you make it seem as if we are going to fight in an epic war that will determine the fate of our people, and im NOT saying this as an insult, you really have a talent to immerse people and get them to notice you) and it made the ride all the more fun, even at the face of adversity.

However im not surprised that the Ridley fanbase has survived this long, because the one reason: Passion. It's the only reason as to why Ridley supporters can't be stopped. Other characters get temporary boosts because of Remakes, begin a glorified Easy Mode for a port, and appereaing in a weird third party/Nintendo collab, etc. Flavor of the Month if you will (not to undermine their supporters, but they only have like 1 chance to ever make it big)

But Ridley as always been there, because he is a prominent, recurring and important character from a prominent, recurring and important Nintendo franchise, and that will always be the case playable Ridley or not.

But whatever happens, we shall keep dreaming to the very end.

Dream on Chrono, and dream on Space Pirates, we shall never falter.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I actually forgot about that to be honest. Yeah, Ridley was just showed in the first Other M trailer nonchalantly, but I still didn’t know Little Birdie and the Mystery Creature would become him, so that was still a surprise for me. I didn’t appreciate them spoiling Ridley’s presence in Samus Returns on a Nintendo direct the same week the game came out, hype as it was.
I actually didn't know that Ridley was spoiled in that Direct until after I beat the game, I was watching it with friends and I think because I was talking with them I just didn't notice the tease. It's super lame that it was though, because it was a fantastic surprise for me.

What i find interesting about the leak, it's not that Ridley was leaked, but with who else. Simon and Ridley sounds like a great pair for a trailer, the later fits that trope of monster that Simon battles on castlevania, so making both fight each other of a trailer sounds like poetry. (but also too good to be true)

Still skeptical about all this info, but al least we don't have to wait much longer to see if this was true or false.
Although probably coincidental (whether the leak is true or not), the term Metroidvania also comes to mind with that combination.

You're an absolute legend in the Ridley fanbase Chrono, I always look back at this whole Ridley journey and feel like I've been going at it for too long, but then there's someone like you who's been dreaming for almost two decades. I'm not sure where you find the willpower from, but just your presence reminds us all that there's no excuse for not keeping at it, you deserve so much respect.

I really hope for everyone who makes up the old guard that we get Ridley at this E3, because for a lot of them this might just be their one last hurrah, maybe myself included. I feel that part of what makes the Ridley fanbase so special in comparison to every other support group is how many generations it spans, no other fanbase can even get close to having the same history as Ridley's, and I can say with certainty that something similar will never happen again, not even for any other fighting game.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I can not say much I told him I would not reveal any specific info and my word is my word but I have talked to vergeben in pm and he is standing firm on ridley being in so he has huge faith in the source he has

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
From what I've seen, DasVergeben usually gets things wrong with leaks to do with Nintendo, but is usually right with leaks to do with Bandai Namco (though not flawless). As such, it's best to take things he says with a grain of salt. Recently, DasVergeben stated:
DasVergeben said:
My sources are different. I can't really get into the other thing I want to say, because it could implicate people, but I even had a third source come to me and tell me about Ridley recently that also pertains to E3. But if I can try to be subtle.... they say he'll have a presence there outside of just being revealed for the game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Ridley is part of Nintendo's show floor or Invitational setup, which could be what he's implying, then chances are we might even get picture leaks of him before his official reveal, which would both be a bummer (reveal ruined) and amazing (he's in!).

Nonetheless it's encouraging that he's putting a 3rd source to it, at this point it's less about whether the sources are right and more about whether Vergeben is bull****ting us. If he's wrong then his credibility will never recover.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
If Ridley is part of Nintendo's show floor or Invitational setup, which could be what he's implying, then chances are we might even get picture leaks of him before his official reveal, which would both be a bummer (reveal ruined) and amazing (he's in!).

Nonetheless it's encouraging that he's putting a 3rd source to it, at this point it's less about whether the sources are right and more about whether Vergeben is bull****ting us. If he's wrong then his credibility will never recover.
The ****storm that would happen if the pics leaked tho, with people frantically trying to prove it real or fake. I’d be living for that tho

IronTed

Smash Ace
A third source? So he's tripling down. And having a presence outside of the reveal? That's pretty interesting. To be honest, I kind of hope there's no picture leaks (assuming he gets in), that way his design is still a surprise.

At this point though, if Ridley doesn't get in, no one here will put any amount of trust in Vergeben, and for good reason.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Vergeben having a third source at this point means nothing to me. His leak is so popular and covered by new sites that I wouldn't be surprised if anyone just contacted him with "info". Seeing as his record has a lot of just posting whatever anyone tells him.

It would be real interesting if there was actually a Ridley prop/statue whatever at E3. If I were Nintendo I would avoid doing that at all cost because I can't imagine how easy that would be to leak lol.

EDIT: Oh is that what people are interpting outside of his reveal as? (Sorry thought someone directly mentioned show floor presecene) I took that as Ridley would be revealed outside of Smash as in MP4, which makes sense since most of his sources seem to be though Bandai-Namco.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
if the leak is true ...happy for ridley but simon belmont ? not so mcuh
I can not say much I told him I would not reveal any specific info and my word is my word but I have talked to vergeben in pm and he is standing firm on ridley being in so he has huge faith in the source he has
ok so tell him about K.ROOL ok?....ok? :-D

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Little disappointed that we aren't getting hints from other "credible" (and I use that term loosely) sources aside from Vergeben. I really want to hear something Ridley-related from a different person, just so this rumor holds a little more weight.

Still, a third source for Ridley is good news. At the very least, Vergeben seems confident, and he isn't backpedaling yet his claims yet. He's digging himself a deeper hole that he'll never get out of if he ends up wrong.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen, DasVergeben usually gets things wrong with leaks to do with Nintendo, but is usually right with leaks to do with Bandai Namco (though not flawless). As such, it's best to take things he says with a grain of salt. Recently, DasVergeben stated:
Hmmm interesting, I am really curious to know what Ridley form will they choose for the Statue, which I assume will be Ridley's main form in smash switch. Will it be Brawl Ridley? Proteus ridley? Or will they just give us Metroid Prime 4 Ridley? It would be weird to actually play as MP4 Ridley in smash with the game probably releasing in 2019.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Hmmm interesting, I am really curious to know what Ridley form will they choose for the Statue, which I assume will be Ridley's main form in smash switch. Will it be Brawl Ridley? Proteus ridley? Or will they just give us Metroid Prime 4 Ridley? It would be weird to actually play as MP4 Ridley in smash with the game probably releasing in 2019.
Or they could do an amalgamation of various ridley's to create one that would fit in smash just right, I'm assuming (hoping) samus is altered to her samus returns appearance, and proteus ridley wouldn't really be the best choice for smash over an organic ridley.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Little disappointed that we aren't getting hints from other "credible" (and I use that term loosely) sources aside from Vergeben. I really want to hear something Ridley-related from a different person, just so this rumor holds a little more weight.

Still, a third source for Ridley is good news. At the very least, Vergeben seems confident, and he isn't backpedaling yet his claims yet. He's digging himself a deeper hole that he'll never get out of if he ends up wrong.
I don't think credible people will risk anything until we're closer to the day, there are a lot of factors that mean they can't be 100% sure at this stage, right now they can only rely on word of mouth (which is what Vergeben is doing), when the game begins doing the rounds for press, publicity and media preparation they'll know for sure. The earliest we'll probably hear anything from a reputable source is two weeks before the event, but more likely it'll only be a few days before, if at all.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If by chance the Ridley thing is bogus, I will kinda feel sorry for DasVergeben, since as mentioned it would be a credibility blow he wouldn’t be able to recover from with how much stock he’s putting in this. Wouldn’t begrudge him or anything since he’s not intentionally trying to bull**** us or wish us ill or anything. I’d just quickly forget it like I have other leaks pertaining to Ridley that didn’t pan out, especially when I remain as skeptical as the next person. Still though...

Last edited:
Top Bottom