• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
It feels like just yesterday that I was disappointed that Ridley never made it into 4. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Just hope for the best but prep for the worst (or in this case, the same as 4).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Proteus Ridley did need more fanart, but this one's so good I actually thought it was the render until I took a closer look.

Also really like this Super Metroid one someone did, far as more recent stuff.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
ok just out of curiosity, what would be the worst possible outcome for this next smash bros? like for you,
i for myself would be quite pissed if they cut all my favs, and only include characters i dont care, aswell asl rework the remaining characters i enjoy
like no ridley in any way, no tropty no stage hazard, not characterslot, no boss
no ike, no roy, no cloud, no darkpit
bowser rework, no shulk... cut 10 characters more so have a smaller roster, this would kill the hype

and bayonetta buffs. waluigi wario clone, king k rool bowser clone
10 new pokemons that i dont care about, corrin...
honestly these things are things that got like, predicted by alot of ppl, just so to reboot the game...
#scarythoughts

'edit i forgot, charizard alternative costume for ridley. just because

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Proteus Ridley did need more fanart, but this one's so good I actually thought it was the render until I took a closer look.

Also really like this Super Metroid one someone did, far as more recent stuff.

xD I think if I drew Proteus Riddles using my interpretation of Ridley, it would look kinda similar to the first one, but with an indifferent look! The only thing I have down is doing my Ridley with his right arm, leg and tail have the prostetic he has in his Omega form. WAAAAAY before Proteous Ridley was even a thing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
^ Heh, nice. I could see that.

ok just out of curiosity, what would be the worst possible outcome for this next smash bros? like for you,
i for myself would be quite pissed if they cut all my favs, and only include characters i dont care, aswell asl rework the remaining characters i enjoy
like no ridley in any way, no tropty no stage hazard, not characterslot, no boss
bowser rework, no shulk... cut 10 characters more so have a smaller roster, this would kill the hype

honestly these things are things that got like, predicted by alot of ppl, just so to reboot the game...
#scarythoughts

I've had or felt that level of disservice with other games; nearly all my favorites being cut, characters I previously enjoyed more being reworked in ways I didn't like as much, etc... You get used to/become numb to it after awhile. Just try not to think of worst case scenarios, because that's no fun, and life's too short to think of the worst possible outcomes for everything. :p

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
OK, going with the belief that Ridley would be revealed at E3 (hoping that God Almighty hears my prayers for Ridley), what would be his tagline, assuming Smash Switch will have them like Smash 4 did?

Me, I'm banking on "Ridley makes his BIG debut!" With "BIG" in all-caps just for that fun little bit of teasing.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ridley SIZES UP the competition!

If they don't have a reference to "Ridley is too big," I will be disappointed. (Not too much though if Riddles is playable at the end, but still...)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
worst case is no ridley or king k rool, there is no reason not to add them since almost everyone else is already there.

I think ver believes this leak is real from what I seen from him, question is are his sources legit

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Worst case scenario for me is that Ridley becomes some sort of playable boss and is used as the face of the mode, meaning he's stuck as a stupid gimmick forever. If we're talking in general I'm dreading the prospect of the game being slowed down significantly just so it's easier to play with joycons, Sakurai said that part of the reason Brawl was slowed down was so it was easier to play with the wiimote, so I'm a bit wary of something like that happening.

Also, I'm not sure we're getting those taglines in trailers again, we might, but with it being a new game I expect its marketing will change accordingly and it'll introduce a bunch of its own quirks instead.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

#scarythoughts

Worst case scenario#1 for Smash Switch in my opinion is no Ridley and a complete gutting of the previous game's roster of unique and wonderful newcomers with hardly anything new to compensate and stupid reasoning behind it... *Glares over at MVCI and their "Nobody remembers the X-Men"*
Worst case scenario#2 for Smash Switch are troll-ish characters like Steve getting in Smash and no Ridley.
Worst case Scenario#3 The Inklings aren't playable at all, and all this hype just goes towards a Metroid Pachinko machine that features Ridley.
Worst case scenario#4 Ridley's not playable, but half of this rumour is true so Simon and IC's are there, but of course, no Ridley.
Worst case#5 - The game gets cancelled.

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Worst case scenario#1 for Smash Switch in my opinion is no Ridley and a complete gutting of the previous game's roster of unique and wonderful newcomers with hardly anything new to compensate and stupid reasoning behind it... *Glares over at MVCI and their "Nobody remembers the X-Men"*
Worst case scenario#2 for Smash Switch are troll-ish characters like Steve getting in Smash and no Ridley.
Worst case Scenario#3 The Inklings aren't playable at all, and all this hype just goes towards a Metroid Pachinko machine that features Ridley.
Worst case scenario#4 Ridley's not playable, but half of this rumour is true so Simon and IC's are there, but of course, no Ridley.
Worst case#5 - The game gets cancelled.
man... those truly are some rly heavy worst case scenarios... well more like freaking nightmares.. a metroid pachinko.. i have a better one, remember halo gets now tan arcade game that you can only play at one location in the US? yeah how about a even worse scenario man
what if, we get simon belmont, NO ice climbers, the last roster cut by over half, throwing out all dlc characters EXEPT bayonetta
there is a spyro stage hazard on a map, similiar to ridleys smash 4 hazard
metroid prime 4 will be a arcade game that is only playable in some gamehall in japan, with a demo of its first level for switch to download
there will be a ridley amiibo that is limited to 1000 units japan gamestop only, that unlocks a ridley skinn for charizard,
we will get a third samus, which will be dark samus and she will be a clone of samus
and nintendo officialy announces that metroid moves to microsoft as a franchise and gets published by EA

that nightmare enough? lets play, who can make it worse from here?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Worst case scenario?

Ridley was planned as a playable character, but got scrapped halfway through development in favor of completing the work on Goku. They end up using Ridley's model to make a stage boss on the new Metroid stage, in addition to bringing back Pyrosphere from Smash Wii U.

Man, I think I just got chills.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Worst case scenario for me is that Ridley becomes some sort of playable boss and is used as the face of the mode, meaning he's stuck as a stupid gimmick forever.
ding ding ding, we have a winner. "here's the character you wanted, but in the most convoluted dogs**t way possible. no, you don't get to play with the other kids, you're quarantined here in Big Boy Mode. now shut up forever."

for me personally the absolute Worst thing would be this plus losing Mewtwo again.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion

#scarythoughts

Not a single new villain character, no story mode, only new characters from franchises I don't play / I don't like / I don't care.
Smash can be the game that decides if I buy a switch or not.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Worst case scenario?

Ridley was planned as a playable character, but got scrapped halfway through development in favor of completing the work on Goku. They end up using Ridley's model to make a stage boss on the new Metroid stage, in addition to bringing back Pyrosphere from Smash Wii U.

Man, I think I just got chills.
Funny you mention that

I'm going to come clean on something

I'm still skeptical on the Ridley shadow thing back on Wii U/3ds

I still think that Ridley was a attempt to be playable but the technical diffculties thing cause him to change to boss

I mean the tail end is about the same size as pikachu approximately and it's almost as big as Anthony in other m which tells me Ridley was also possibly shrunken a little to playable size.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, who are all of the people that collaborated/confirmed the Ridley rumor?
For reference.
To my knowledge, so far it’s been the Resetera mod Jonneh and DasVergeben. There was also the Resetera mod Nibil, but he’s even shakier to trust than Jonneh since his post prior to the Direct could have meant anything.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I apologize if this has been brought up really recently, but I wanted to ask.

How are you guys feeling about the Simon/Ice Climbers/Ridley lead that's been going around? Think it might be credible?

IronTed

Smash Ace

How are you guys feeling about the Simon/Ice Climbers/Ridley lead that's been going around? Think it might be credible?
Given Vergeben's record, it could be true (and to be honest there's nothing outlandish about his other claims), but it could also very possibly be false. Given how much he's been backing this, he seems very confident though.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I'd say it's credible.

On one hand, Ice Climbers are a given considering the 3DS version of SSB4 couldn't handle them. Also, Sakurai has been known for changing his mind with characters from Animal Crossing, as well as PAC-MAN, so Ridley is certainly up there despite his concerns on size. Not to mention, with Sakurai taking it easy this time around, having no cuts in the roster would make sense.

But on the other hand, after Snake got cut from Brawl to 4, having another Konami rep seems a little unlikely.

Last edited:

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
To my knowledge, so far it’s been the Resetera mod Jonneh and DasVergeben. There was also the Resetera mod Nibil, but he’s even shakier to trust than Jonneh since his post prior to the Direct could have meant anything.
What exactly is the history with the ResetEra mods? I didn't keep up with that, just Vergeben alone.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I think it’s really shaky tbh, but honestly I feel a bit more confident in Ridley actually making it in this game for various reasons. One being that DasVergeben wasn’t even the first person to suggest Ridley’s playability in SSB5, the rumors of that date back to March with the Resetera mods teasing Ridley and Smash sometime before the Direct. Vergeben only posted his leak on Ridley a couple days later, before tripling down on it months later, so who knows if they were really “speculating” or not, I for one think it’s something you can’t just ignore.

I’m still giving Ridley a 50/50 chance as always, but somehow I don’t feel as pessimistic as I was before.

What exactly is the history with the ResetEra mods? I didn't keep up with that, just Vergeben alone.
This is what I’m talking about:
91637B79-86C6-4303-890B-F362D73031A8.png

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Given Vergeben's record, it could be true (and to be honest there's nothing outlandish about his other claims), but it could also very possibly be false. Given how much he's been backing this, he seems very confident though.
I hope his information is solid. Ridley, Ice Climbers returning, Simon Belmont, and no cuts sounds amazing.

I'd say it's credible.

On one hand, Ice Climbers are a given considering the 3DS version of SSB4 couldn't handle them. Also, Sakurai has been known for changing his mind with characters from Animal Crossing, as well as PAC-MAN, so Ridley is certainly up there despite his concerns on size. Not to mention, with Sakurai taking it easy this time around, having no cuts in the roster would make sense.

But on the other hand, after Snake got cut from Brawl to 4, having another Konami rep seems a little unlikely.
I feel like Ridley just may have gotten enough votes in the ballot to be considered as playable again. And it's very like Sakurai to return to old ideas.

While Simon isn't a choice I would have initially suspected, he does make a lot of sense in hindsight. Especially if it means bringing Snake back from Brawl and/or getting Bomberman alongside him. It seems to be easier to get multiple characters from one third party than it is to get multiple companies.

I think it’s really shaky tbh, but honestly I feel a bit more confidant in Ridley actually making it in this game for various reasons. One being that DasVergeben wasn’t even the first person to suggest Ridley’s playability in SSB5, the rumors of that date back to March with the Resetera mods teasing Ridley and Smash sometime before the Direct. Vergeben only posted his leak Ridley a couple days later, before tripling down on it months later, so who knows if they were really “speculating” or not, I for one think it’s something you can’t just ignore.

I’m still giving Ridley a 50/50 chance as always, but somehow I don’t feel as pessimistic as I was before.
Fair. I'm optimistic, but still grounded enough to know that he might not make it again.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I'd certainly like the leak to be true, but I honestly can't see every single character from Smash 4 making it back.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'd certainly like the leak to be true, but I honestly can't see every single character from Smash 4 making it back.
Who do you think is likely to be cut?

Personally, I don't think any of the Fire Emblem cast's in danger given Lucina and Roy's popularity and Fate's success.

I can't see them cutting Dr. Mario after bringing him, Mewtwo, and Roy back from Melee.

Dark Pit's a little iffy, but I think Sakurai would prefer to keep him since he takes such a small amount of development time to implement anyways.

Miis I guess there's a case for since they're so much work, but they're also stupid popular and likely made tons of money for Nintendo with the costumes.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Personally, I don't think any of the Fire Emblem cast's in danger given Lucina and Roy's popularity and Fate's success.

I can't see them cutting Dr. Mario after bringing him, Mewtwo, and Roy back from Melee.

Dark Pit's a little iffy, but I think Sakurai would prefer to keep him since he takes such a small amount of development time to implement anyways.

Miis I guess there's a case for since they're so much work, but they're also stupid popular and likely made tons of money for Nintendo with the costumes.
Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario should be given unique movesets if they DO return (which I hope they do). Lucina can take a few cues from her moves from Project X Zone 2, Dark Pit can get the Pandora Claws instead of the Silver Bow in addition to a different Neutral B (I'm thinking Doom Cannon), and Dr. Mario can have all-different specials derived from Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure, in addition to having some of the viruses. I can agree on the Miis, though.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97

I'm skeptical. I usually try to be careful when it comes to leaks... Basically, "Believe it's fake, hope it's real."

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
OK, going with the belief that Ridley would be revealed at E3 (hoping that God Almighty hears my prayers for Ridley), what would be his tagline, assuming Smash Switch will have them like Smash 4 did?

Me, I'm banking on "Ridley makes his BIG debut!" With "BIG" in all-caps just for that fun little bit of teasing.
"Ridley Brings His Vengeance!"

It would have an unintentional double meaning.

It references the trailer for Metroid Samus Returns that teases his return and upcoming boss battle - "Vengeance has a name".

It also means that he (and the fans) have come back stronger.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace

It's not so much that I feel a certain character is likely or not as I feel I'm not fit to answer that. But it's a fighting game with nearly 60 characters on the roster. I definitely think there's a chance nobody gets cut, but my thing is with a roster this big, and with more newcomers coming in this game, I feel it's pretty easy to see why cuts seem like something that could very well happen. I'd prefer none, but I'm expecting a few.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

I'm on the 50/50 line for believing this leak. If it's real and we do get Simon, ICs and Ridley, then I wouldn't even care about it being spoiled - We finally got the outcome we wanted all this time in Ridley finally being playable. If it's fake, then Vergeben's credibility is gone, and we've all been played like damn fiddles.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman

i have this theory that we might have veterans who are clones, keeping their clone moveset, allowing to change the original, such as dr mario, and odissey mario, and toon link and BoTW link, its the smartest move to statesffy the greatest ammount of ppl rly.
all the old mains just need to adjust to a slight change in hight or something else, but keep the base movepool,
and the new fans who come from the new games

i also think that the baloot of smash 4 might have been a majo factor for this smash, since every character that made sense to them is in already,
characters such as banjo and kazui, rayman, ridley, inklings, simon or trevor belmont. King k rool, are all candidaes for a slot since their request has now weight. ppl have voted for them to such an ammount PROPABLY that sakurai sees their potential as natural.

also what another theory is, we had a chance to get inklings as dlc last smash, maybe the engine did not support them back then, and it has been updated heavily, which MIGHT actually mean that options are now open, and with that the chance for until now impossible characters rises.

things like the iceclimbers on 8 players might be a start,
ridleys wings along with backgrounds and cliping could also be a problem with the old engine
inkling ink,
arms .. well moveable arms,
simon belmonts wip perhaps?

physics in general, and if the rumors are true, and this is more like a mix between melee and smash 4, then this makes ALOT of sense.
so i see a high possebility for characters such as that

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I see everyone coming back, sakurai hates cuts so he try to fit them all in as best he can

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Living in a timeline where Steve from Minecraft and Ridley from Metroid being announced for Smash Bros at the same E3 is plausible. Feels weird.

Top Bottom