• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
:squirtle::ivysaur:? :crying:

I'd really hope that, if this were the final roster, that these guys would be remerged with Charizard. That roster has all unique veteran movesets return except for the two of them.

Still seeing a decent lack of Zelda reps here, and the third parties are meh for me, but I could live with this.
But can I get Urbosa and Dovahkiin for DLC then pls?
I'd rather Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Charizard be their own individual characters.

If they want this to be an ultimate roster, they should have:
  • All 56 veterans from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU to return.
  • All missing veterans to return (Ivysaur and Squirtle in their own individual places, and yes even Pichu to return, though adjusted so he's not a self damage inflicting punching bag).
  • Newcomers: Inklings, Ridley, King K.Rool, etc all from this image leak, plus Bandana Dee, Isaac, and a few other essentials not listed.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Porky a villain from one game most of us never played or rly know exept maybe from brawl?
Porky is a villain of both Earthbound and Mother 3.
Mother 3 never got outside japan, but Earthbound did, and even if at first didn't sell well, it has become a cult classic game, knew for a lot and have spawn a lot great game highly inspired, like Lisa, Undertale and Knuckle Sandwich.
Also a +, if they add Ridley playable, maybe Sakurai looked at the rest of the brawl bosses and saw potential in Porky, after all he is the only real main villain left (because neither petey piranha or rayquaza are main villains)

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I feel like there's 3-4 clones on that imgur leak, tbh. I also feel like, given the picture provided, it harkens back to that Smash 3DS/U rumor that Ridley would be playable, but evolve over time.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
The only possible way I can really believe that leak just a little bit is if we take Emily Rodger's saying "This is the best Smash roster yet and will make a lot of people happy" at face value. Because with that Roster, it would most definitely be by far the best roster, but it still has a few notable names missing like Bandanna Dee, Isaac, and even Rayman. But as I said earlier, IF this leak is real, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them be deliberately left off as DLC like MewTwo was last year. Once again, that's a huge if though. The fact that they're left off does raise an eyebrow though because if you're gonna make a fake list with all these most wanted characters why would you leave off Bandanna Dee and Isaac? Even Springman, who I don't think is notably requested, but I think Arms representation is a given. Either way, I don't think the leak is real and it's just piggybacking over the original Ridley rumor and adding more fan favorites to it, but those characters being left off is weird. It's totally something Nintendo would do, but at the same time why include Ridley and not include Bandanna Dee who'd probably be easier to implement? I'd imagine bigger characters like Ridley, Bowser, and DK take a lot more time than someone like Kirby.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
sooo i was wondering, is somebody here interested in watching the e3 nintendo direct together in a discord? i right now try to gather some ppl to watch the thing together, including like a little talk before and after over highlights, and possebilitys, i guess the main focus will be metroid but that may change depending on whats in this direct, because there is alot that can be blown out in this thing, maybe we even watch the treehouse or the smash trounament there together, IF there is a crowd that would enjoy this. if you have interest you can PN me i do have a discord server,
this direct has i guess the biggest chance for ridley to be in, just ebcause metroid might have a big presence there, so i guess there wont be that much of chance in the futur to do this in theme

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Just my two cents, but that "leak" reeks of wishful thinking.

Two Donkey Kong reps. I do believe we will get a new DK rep this time, but two? One can dream.
Ridley. Until it happens, it is wishful thinking.
Medusa. I wouldn't say she is "unlikely" considering how Sakurai loves to rep his own works, though to be fair, Viridi > Medusa
Mimikyu, the meme Pokémon of Gen 7
Elma. I believe a Xenoblade 2 rep is more likely; It is more recent, and the game is not on a failure of a console. Elma > the whole Xenoblade 2 cast, though.
Snake coming back. Again, not unlikely (only Nintendo knows what is likely or not), but it is what people are asking since the final Smash 4 roster was revealed.
Roxas, but more importantly, Geno. Again, everything can happen, but I wouldn't expect to new Square-Enix reps.
No new Fire Emblem rep. As unlikely to me as not having a new Pokémon rep. Even if Sakurai supposedly said there are too many FE reps, I would expect a new rep to replace an old one instead of no new reps whatsoever.

I am surprised Bandana Dee isn't on the "leak".

Is that a bad roster? No. I would be fine with it. I don't see the appeal in bringing Squirtle, Ivysaur and Pichu back, anyways.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm also interested in seeing most of these leaks bringing in loads of third parties - there's that one from Lazzyman that taps Spyro and Crash (and not Ridley, so I don't like that one), and this one has four. And they're assuming all of Sm4sh comes back? Is this Nintendo's Smash or All-Companies Smash?

Sm4sh only had 3 third parties at release - a completely deserving third party vet and two super iconic newcomers. Beyond that, all three were revealed at different times: Megaman at E3 2013, Sonic in October 2013, and Pac at E3 2014. I don't know if I but a lot of third party reveals at E3 this year. Granted, the dev window is way shorter now, but I feel like they'd save some hype characters for later Nintendo directs.

I don't see the appeal in bringing Squirtle, Ivysaur and Pichu back, anyways.
To each his own. Honestly, I've never been so hyped for a character as I was for the Pokémon Trainer in Brawl, and Squirtle is the character I miss most.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
h his own. Honestly, I've never been so hyped for a character as I was for the Pokémon Trainer in Brawl, and Squirtle is the character I miss most.
Of course. To each their own, by the way.

I just don't find them fun in Brawl (their movesets in Project M are quite fun, though) and I never cared much about base stage Pokémon. If I could have Venusaur and Blastoise instead, then I would be slightly more interested.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Remember that both Samurai Goroh and Porky have conexions with Ridley.
In meele both Samurai Goroh and Ridley appear in the intro, making people believe they were playable and unlockable, yet that wasn't the case and some people got dissapointed.
In Brawl the only 2 bosses that were main villains were Porky and Ridley, both said to be very important generals with Bowser and Ganondorf, both had 2 forms (ridley / meta ridley, Porky statue / Porky)
If Ridley is finally playable, maybe those 2 get the chance to be playable too.... someday....

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I'm also interested in seeing most of these leaks bringing in loads of third parties - there's that one from Lazzyman that taps Spyro and Crash (and not Ridley, so I don't like that one), and this one has four. And they're assuming all of Sm4sh comes back? Is this Nintendo's Smash or All-Companies Smash?

Sm4sh only had 3 third parties at release - a completely deserving third party vet and two super iconic newcomers. Beyond that, all three were revealed at different times: Megaman at E3 2013, Sonic in October 2013, and Pac at E3 2014. I don't know if I but a lot of third party reveals at E3 this year. Granted, the dev window is way shorter now, but I feel like they'd save some hype characters for later Nintendo directs.

To each his own. Honestly, I've never been so hyped for a character as I was for the Pokémon Trainer in Brawl, and Squirtle is the character I miss most.
Sm4sh was a dead give away that Nintendo wants to transition Smash from a Nintendo-All-Star game to just a general All-Star Video Game. Megaman, Sonic, and Pacman made sense, and Bayonetta too, but Ryu and Cloud made it obvious that Nintendo wants to branch out more. Ryu has appeared on Nintendo Consoles before but his inclusion felt very weird to me due to Street Fighter not exactly being a prominent third party on a Nintendo console in ages and SFV is exclusive to PS4 and PC. Cloud was an even bigger out of nowhere characters because while Final Fantasy has a huge history with Nintendo, Cloud's game is what shattered the N64's chance of outshining the PS1 (And the difference between Sonic and Cloud is that Sonic was more of an iconic Rival towards Nintendo while Cloud was straight up the death sentence) and he's more of a Playstation Mascot. Not to mention the only time he has ever appeared on a Nintendo console was a cash grab spinoff game. At least Snake had a few mainline games beforehand.

I don't think we'll be seeing characters like Master Chief or Nico from GTA in Smash but I do expect more third party characters like Rayman or even Geno in Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

People who are expecting Smash to get 8-10 third-parties are forgetting that these additions aren't free. Heck, even Bayonetta isn't free. Nintendo still has to pay Sega for the rights every time they use her.

I guess it's not impossible, but it seems like an unnecessary and pricy move on Nintendo's part.

Sm4sh was a dead give away that Nintendo wants to transition Smash from a Nintendo-All-Star game to just a general All-Star Video Game. Megaman, Sonic, and Pacman made sense, and Bayonetta too, but Ryu and Cloud made it obvious that Nintendo wants to branch out more. Ryu has appeared on Nintendo Consoles before but his inclusion felt very weird to me due to Street Fighter not exactly being a prominent third party on a Nintendo console in ages and SFV is exclusive to PS4 and PC. Cloud was an even bigger out of nowhere characters because while Final Fantasy has a huge history with Nintendo, Cloud's game is what shattered the N64's chance of outshining the PS1 (And the difference between Sonic and Cloud is that Sonic was more of an iconic Rival towards Nintendo while Cloud was straight up the death sentence) and he's more of a Playstation Mascot. Not to mention the only time he has ever appeared on a Nintendo console was a cash grab spinoff game. At least Snake had a few mainline games beforehand.

I don't think we'll be seeing characters like Master Chief or Nico from GTA in Smash but I do expect more third party characters like Rayman or even Geno in Smash.
I think most of the DLC was Sakurai's doing, not Nintendo's. Depending on the agreement, when characters are on the base game, Nintendo might have to pay money for every copy of Smash they sell. DLC is optional, and it's probably less of a concern to Nintendo if they have to cough up a percentage of $5 as opposed to $60.

If Nintendo really wants turn Smash into a general All-Star game, it's gonna cost them a pretty penny to do so. They'd probably end up with a bigger profit if they focused on Nintendo characters and cut back on the third-parties. Otherwise, they'll have six or seven different companies barking for money.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Remember that both Samurai Goroh and Porky have conexions with Ridley.
In meele both Samurai Goroh and Ridley appear in the intro, making people believe they were playable and unlockable, yet that wasn't the case and some people got dissapointed.
In Brawl the only 2 bosses that were main villains were Porky and Ridley, both said to be very important generals with Bowser and Ganondorf, both had 2 forms (ridley / meta ridley, Porky statue / Porky)
If Ridley is finally playable, maybe those 2 get the chance to be playable too.... someday....
Honestly, even as an EarthBound fan that's perfectly content with just Ness and Lucas, I have no idea how a playable Porky would work...

Zeox

Smash Champion
Honestly, even as an EarthBound fan that's perfectly content with just Ness and Lucas, I have no idea how a playable Porky would work...
Spider mech from the end of Earthbound + throwing mecha porkies + Spankety taunt + final smash summoning the Porky statue.
It could also make references of old enemies, just like lucas and ness have moves that are from other characters like paula, poo or duster, Porky's moveset could make references from other enemies too.
If Ridley finally gets confirmed I would move to support him... specially because I feel that if Ridley gets confirmed, K. Rool would be too.

Zeox

Smash Champion
This was made by our old good friend Dalek_Kolt :

Comparing sizes from enemies etc, I repost it to give you a better idea of how porky would fight and his comparison with other characters

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wow... Mind = blown.
And I didn't even notice Bowser being knocked away there until it was mentioned. lol

Chrollo.

fka president wario
People who are expecting Smash to get 8-10 third-parties are forgetting that these additions aren't free. Heck, even Bayonetta isn't free. Nintendo still has to pay Sega for the rights every time they use her.

I guess it's not impossible, but it seems like an unnecessary and pricy move on Nintendo's part.

I think most of the DLC was Sakurai's doing, not Nintendo's. Depending on the agreement, when characters are on the base game, Nintendo might have to pay money for every copy of Smash they sell. DLC is optional, and it's probably less of a concern to Nintendo if they have to cough up a percentage of $5 as opposed to $60.

If Nintendo really wants turn Smash into a general All-Star game, it's gonna cost them a pretty penny to do so. They'd probably end up with a bigger profit if they focused on Nintendo characters and cut back on the third-parties. Otherwise, they'll have six or seven different companies barking for money.
Sakura still has to get approval from Nintendo, to be fair. I get the point of DLC vs Main game though. But with the inclusion of Ryu and Cloud, I still feel like at least Sakura envisions the game of being a full on All-Star game instead of just a Nintendo All-Star game, and since Nintendo has to approve everything, it is safe to assume they're fine with it. Nintendo is sitting on money anyway so I'd imagine paying royalties is a lot less than making a game. But that's just a big assumption though.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Wow... Mind = blown.
And I didn't even notice Bowser being knocked away there until it was mentioned. lol
XD I couldn't resist, honestly! I was going to add Peach there too but I was too lazy for it. :> Well, at least Ridley is happy! And more than willing to help without even noticing it! Yeah, the tail swing was unintentional (Or maybe not...)!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I would like Ridley to be playable. He'd be a better Metroid rep newcomer than another Samus. Though this thread about a character that Sakurai is refusing to put in the Smash roster does make me wonder why non-video game characters like the highly requested Goku are banned from the forums. But I think Ridley should be in the game because the size issues are flawed when you have Olimar who's supposed to be 3/4 of an inch but is scaled up to about the height of Mario. If Sakurai doesn't want Ridley to be scaled down because he would be less threatening, then just make him the tallest character in the game. He may still need to be scaled down to be reasonable, but make him taller than Charizard, Bowser, Ganondorf, Dedede, etc. Basically, make him big but not too big.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Sakura still has to get approval from Nintendo, to be fair. I get the point of DLC vs Main game though. But with the inclusion of Ryu and Cloud, I still feel like at least Sakura envisions the game of being a full on All-Star game instead of just a Nintendo All-Star game, and since Nintendo has to approve everything, it is safe to assume they're fine with it. Nintendo is sitting on money anyway so I'd imagine paying royalties is a lot less than making a game. But that's just a big assumption though.
Eh, that just doesn't sit well for me. If he wants to go full-on All-Star, he should start by clearing out the Nintendo characters who are not iconic. I was hoping for a Smash game, not game 1 of whatever new franchise he's making.

I think DLC is a great time for third parties since they are by definition optional, so people like me who want Smash to be primarily a Nintendo game can avoid too many other companies in there. Plus that also allows me to be a total hypocrite if he does put in a third party I like.

Does raise the interesting question of who pays for this and how much though. Does Nintendo pay royalties, or do the other companies pay for advertising in as massive of a game as this?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I would like Ridley to be playable. He'd be a better Metroid rep newcomer than another Samus. Though this thread about a character that Sakurai is refusing to put in the Smash roster does make me wonder why non-video game characters like the highly requested Goku are banned from the forums. But I think Ridley should be in the game because the size issues are flawed when you have Olimar who's supposed to be 3/4 of an inch but is scaled up to about the height of Mario. If Sakurai doesn't want Ridley to be scaled down because he would be less threatening, then just make him the tallest character in the game. He may still need to be scaled down to be reasonable, but make him taller than Charizard, Bowser, Ganondorf, Dedede, etc. Basically, make him big but not too big.
I feel like a better comparison would be Ganondorf, Palutena, or the Pokemon. Olimar doesn't have anyone else from his original series in Smash to compare him to. Meanwhile, Ganondorf and Palutena are much shorter than normal when compared to their canonmates, and either Pikachu and Jigglypuff are really big, or Mewtwo and Charizard are really small.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Though this thread about a character that Sakurai is refusing to put in the Smash roster does make me wonder why non-video game characters like the highly requested Goku are banned from the forums.
Because the potential inclusion of non-video game characters is a completely different can of worms, and not something that there's a huge desire among Smash fans to discuss, it's only something that will spark regular conversations if that barrier is ever broken. I'm not sure how Smashboards did things pre-Brawl, but chances are that if no 3rd party character had ever been included then they wouldn't be allowed to be discussed either.

Also, Sakurai has changed his mind on simple Nintendo characters plenty of times before, so Smashboards can't just go and lock every thread for characters Sakurai has previously dismissed for one reason or another. A character like Ridley also needs a place to be discussed, as evidenced by how this is the character thread with both the most views and posts.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yes I even did the math rounding olimar is about 5000% bigger than his real size

And as for the Ridley size just make him 1/8 to 1/4 bigger than bowser then he's still biggest character

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Comparing sizes from enemies etc, I repost it to give you a better idea of how porky would fight and his comparison with other characters
I just want to add that he's not that much bigger in the bedmech either.

But talking further about this would be getting a mite offtopic when we could be talking about fake leaks.

This is a bit late, but im just going to talk a bit about leaks and all that since for some reason every single one gets brought up and people aren't quite sure how to react.

There are two basic questions to ask for every leak

"why is this real?" and "why is this fake?"

Why is this fake- basically, is there anything that stands out to prove something as false. These usually apply to picture leaks. Stuff ike re-used renders/assets or animations clipping through he ground. Just general unprofessional things. See something like that, and the leak gets thrown out the window. Yeah you may have a few problems like "wario is clipping into G&W's box," but you at least have a basic idea.

Why is this real- for when something doesn't have something that automatically makes it fake. Is there any evidence that this leak/rumor is real in any capacity? Is the origin of the rumor reliable like a known leaker/outlet that could have this information? Or is this just a random post on a random forum or nonsense? For instance, i've had info in the past and I may have some now, but does that make me trustworthy? Not really. If there is no evidence that a list is real than what is even the point of analyzing? At that point it's just a wishlist if it doesn't have any evidence. . .
:061:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
This is a bit late, but im just going to talk a bit about leaks and all that since for some reason every single one gets brought up and people aren't quite sure how to react.

There are two basic questions to ask for every leak

"why is this real?" and "why is this fake?"

Why is this fake- basically, is there anything that stands out to prove something as false. These usually apply to picture leaks. Stuff ike re-used renders/assets or animations clipping through he ground. Just general unprofessional things. See something like that, and the leak gets thrown out the window. Yeah you may have a few problems like "wario is clipping into G&W's box," but you at least have a basic idea.

Why is this real- for when something doesn't have something that automatically makes it fake. Is there any evidence that this leak/rumor is real in any capacity? Is the origin of the rumor reliable like a known leaker/outlet that could have this information? Or is this just a random post on a random forum or nonsense? For instance, i've had info in the past and I may have some now, but does that make me trustworthy? Not really. If there is no evidence that a list is real than what is even the point of analyzing? At that point it's just a wishlist if it doesn't have any evidence. . .
:061:
The point of analyzing is it's fun, even I don't know if it's real or not

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Eh, that just doesn't sit well for me. If he wants to go full-on All-Star, he should start by clearing out the Nintendo characters who are not iconic. I was hoping for a Smash game, not game 1 of whatever new franchise he's making.

I think DLC is a great time for third parties since they are by definition optional, so people like me who want Smash to be primarily a Nintendo game can avoid too many other companies in there. Plus that also allows me to be a total hypocrite if he does put in a third party I like.

Does raise the interesting question of who pays for this and how much though. Does Nintendo pay royalties, or do the other companies pay for advertising in as massive of a game as this?
Yeah I feel that. I personally don't mind more 3rd parties, but I do not want to see them prioritized over Nintendo characters.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have to pay royalties, but I don't doubt that companies who approach Nintendo for their characters in Smash do have to pay a fee. As for how much areRoyalties, I actually don't think they're that much, but I guess that depends on the companies. I know in Wrestling some of them get paid from 100 up to 1000 in monthly royalties. But I do think it depends on the company.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen

I like that ridley size, and the fact he's quadrupedal like in the recent game. But i feel his model would receive some tweaking, namely his hands being a tad bigger if he's going to use them for attack.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I like that ridley size, and the fact he's quadrupedal like in the recent game. But i feel his model would receive some tweaking, namely his hands being a tad bigger if he's going to use them for attack.
Personally, I feel like him being quadrupedal makes him look too small compared directly with Samus. I'd rather have him bipedal, but with his wings and tail making him appear much larger than his hurtbox is.

I feel like this looks better, as his wings make him look huge, but his hurtbox is only about the size of Bowser. If you have his tail-based attacks have startup lag, then you don't have many issues with his reach being too long, and if you keep his wings basically for show, then it really makes him look large without affecting balance.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Personally, I feel like him being quadrupedal makes him look too small compared directly with Samus. I'd rather have him bipedal, but with his wings and tail making him appear much larger than his hurtbox is.

I feel like this looks better, as his wings make him look huge, but his hurtbox is only about the size of Bowser. If you have his tail-based attacks have startup lag, then you don't have many issues with his reach being too long, and if you keep his wings basically for show, then it really makes him look large without affecting balance.
I’ll always feel somewhat partial towards Bagan’s classic Ridley mod in terms of how to make him look presentable as a fighter, but I must say that’s a pretty good look on him. I like that he’s still able to look down on Samus despite being smaller, since almost every other mod or take on Fighter!Ridley to my knowledge had him heavily crouched down so that he couldn’t look down on Samus, even the classic Ridley mod.
0C545E50-01D5-4E11-8C89-7A1CE50B22E7.jpeg

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I’ll always feel somewhat partial towards Bagan’s classic Ridley mod in terms of how to make him look presentable as a fighter, but I must say that’s a pretty good look on him. I like that he’s still able to look down on Samus despite being smaller, since almost every other mod or take on Fighter!Ridley to my knowledge had him heavily crouched down so that he couldn’t look down on Samus, even the classic Ridley mod.
View attachment 146084
Personally, if Samus can look down upon Ridley, it doesn't sit right with me. If he's tall enough to look her in the eyes, that's better, but looking down on her is ideal to me.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If we're showing off our renditions again, here we goooooo! Meta Ridley standing in for Proteus

Honestly, as much as I like the stance of his core body, I feel like he's slouching his neck too much, since it makes him meek. I also would prefer him having his wings up like in my version. If it ends up clipping through Battlefield's platforms, then I'd honestly rather the platforms be changed to accommodate for larger characters in the next game instead.

That said, did you do this yourself? If so, color me impressed. I don't know the first thing about modeling, and it's cool to see people doing stuff like this for themselves.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If we're showing off our renditions again, here we goooooo! Meta Ridley standing in for Proteus

Great concept, still the one I want.

Honestly, as much as I like the stance of his core body, I feel like he's slouching his neck too much, since it makes him meek. I also would prefer him having his wings up like in my version. If it ends up clipping through Battlefield's platforms, then I'd honestly rather the platforms be changed to accommodate for larger characters in the next game instead.

That said, did you do this yourself? If so, color me impressed. I don't know the first thing about modeling, and it's cool to see people doing stuff like this for themselves.
I'm with you on the platform thing. Raising them up a bit shouldn't be an issue.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Are we sharing concepts now? I'm still a fan of my version.

Riddles isn't normally grounded while fighting, rather he's going to be flying most of the time unless someone forcibly grounds him.

Top Bottom