• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley was initially planned for Echoes, but I’m fine that Quadraxis or whoever took his spot there in the end, since Ing posssession probably would’ve killed him like all the other hosts they infected, whereas Phazon corruption could at least be undone when the source was destroyed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Apparently not; it only disintegrated some of his cybernetics, which resulted in Proteus Ridley by the time of Metroid II.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Echoes had the best boss battles, I'll give it that, even without a Ridley fight. The sheer scale of battles like Amorbis and Quadraxis was great, and then there also were Chykka, Emperor Ing, and the multiple Dark Samus encounters. The Spider Guardian though, **** that.
Ugh, the Spider Guardian... Forget the Boost Guardian, THAT little bugger annoyed the heck out of me during my first playthrough of Echoes...

I enjoyed the whole Metroid Prime trilogy, but I found Echoes more memorable. That game was the first to make me feel uneasy about my surroundings. My younger self was always nervous that the Ing could pop out anywhere and possess the enemies I was already a bit frightened by. (Dark Bloggs and Grenchlers... *Shivers*) And whenever I had to go into Dark Aether I wanted to get the heck out of there as quickly as possible. (That place creeped me out, with it being the Ing's home turf and all.) So far Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Fusion are the only games that made me genuinely feel uneasy/unsafe during the first playthrough.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'm still playing Super Metroid (that wall jump is so awful), and when I'm done I will start with Metroid Fusion.
After that, I may should play the metroid prime trilogy, but on the other hand I'm not really into shooters so... I don't know if I should play it or not.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Ugh, the Spider Guardian... Forget the Boost Guardian, THAT little bugger annoyed the heck out of me during my first playthrough of Echoes...
Seventeen tries to beat the Boost Guardian in my first run. Was unable to beat the Spider Guardian until Wii trilogy, but I'm not sure how different play controls helped. We seem to have similar opinions on Echoes and Fusion...

I'm still playing Super Metroid (that wall jump is so awful)
Turn off Hi Jump? Much easier that way.

And definitely at least try to play Prime. A specific experience can bust through a general dislike; I don't much care for shooters either, but Metroid Prime has enough of the puzzle devilry to potentially reclassify it, and Borderlands was hilarious. Halo, however, can die in a fire. Retroactively, if possible.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Metroid is in dire need of reps in Smash, and Ridley is the only one that's really suitable. And he wasn't even that big in Super Metroid and the opening of Melee. And besides, what other Metroid-characters could you take?

Mother Brain? Okay, you could make her move around in a glass and have her shoot lasers but itw would still be a bit weird. I still like the idea of it though.

Dark Samus? Yeah, she well known enough, but does she have enough unique moves to set her apart from regular Samus?

Kraid? Now that one is certainly way too large.

Sylux or Rhundas? Are there seriously people who think that these two are even remotely iconic enough?
If they don't put Ridley in, they're going to put Dark Samus or Sylux in. Why?

Dark Samus was an AT in Smash U at more moves could be pulled from that

Sylux is likely to be prominent in Metroid Prime 4 (sigh......)

So, needless to say, we want Ridley.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I just signed back into Smashboards for the first time in four years. Nice to see that this character thread is as popular as ever (though the numbers and views being comparable to Daisy of all characters is eyebrow-raising)
What the hey, before the game gets released and I slink back into the shadows, I'll back this metaphorical horse, though I'm not planning on being as conspiracy theorist-levels of analytical as I was in the Smash 4 days.

I guess I should actually talk about Ridley himself? I want him to play like he did in Samus Returns but with a nerfed fireball attack, limited infinite flight, and smaller size. Give him the Marx treatment.
It's great to see you around again after such a long time! :D I still remember when you did an MLP-Style Ridley (that was a Griffon if I'm not mistaking)! That design for him was clever!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It's great to see you around again after such a long time! :D I still remember when you did an MLP-Style Ridley (that was a Griffon if I'm not mistaking)! That design for him was clever!
Thanks. I haven't touched that particular creation of mine in a while (I usually do Jojo crossovers now) but I did hunt down one Ms. Silfoe to draw him for me.

Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Printer-1.png

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Why the sigh? Sylux is dope

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm still playing Super Metroid (that wall jump is so awful), and when I'm done I will start with Metroid Fusion.
After that, I may should play the metroid prime trilogy, but on the other hand I'm not really into shooters so... I don't know if I should play it or not.
I despise shooters, single player and multiplayer alike, but Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games ever. Despite the perspective it has very little to do with shooter gameplay, the transition from 2D to 3D is seamless, it really feels like a Metroid game just from a different perspective.

Also, while the Super Metroid walljump is difficult to get the hang of, it's probably my favorite in the series once you've mastered it, you've got so much more control than in any of the other games.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Here's a funny thought I had: Wouldn't it be funny if there was a special voice line for encountering Giant Ridley is Classic Mode? Imagine the announcer saying "Giant... Ridley?" Like he was slightly confused at the seemingly obvious prospect.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Dark Samus is dead for good according to Tanabe. She's not coming back sadly

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Probably done before, but I made a moveset out of Samus Returns.

Ridley is a mode-shifting fighter, shifting between Ground Mode and Flight Mode. Flight Mode is objectively better than Ground, but it is also Ridley's "default" Mode, and Ridley will enter Ground if he is sufficiently damaged, too high off the ground, or offstage. While in Flight Mode, Ridley's moves become stronger, further reaching, and overall better. More importantly, Ridley has infinite flight, and can float anywhere under two conditions: There is a platform or ground beneath him, and he isn't too high off the ground or platform. Should Ridley be taken too high or fly offstage, Ridley will enter a "fall" or "midair" state.

Neutral B: Fireball
Down B: Tail Whip
Side B: Slash
Up B: Fly

Last edited:

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Well I know the main problem and issue with his character is the size thing. If they (Sakurai) can find a way to get the downsizing to work in a way that he likes or sees fit, then I am totally down for Ridley as a playable character.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

True, but I can also think of a reason why neither would get added.

Dark Samus hasn't really done anything in the past ten years. Feels weird to randomly add someone like that when there's no games in the recent past or future that will include her. Plus, there's also the fact that we have two Samuses (is that the plural for "Samus"?) in the roster already. I don't think people would be too thrilled if the Metroid series is represented by three versions of Samus.

Sylux is likely going to have a notable role in Prime 4, yes, but do we know if Sakurai will even consider that game when he makes the roster? I know I've been using Prime 4 as an argument in favor of Ridley, but at least Ridley has Samus Returns as a fallback if Prime 4 is too late. Sylux doesn't have that same advantage.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
True, but I can also think of a reason why neither would get added.

Dark Samus hasn't really done anything in the past ten years. Feels weird to randomly add someone like that when there's no games in the recent past or future that will include her. Plus, there's also the fact that we have two Samuses (is that the plural for "Samus"?) in the roster already. I don't think people would be too thrilled if the Metroid series is represented by three versions of Samus.

Sylux is likely going to have a notable role in Prime 4, yes, but do we know if Sakurai will even consider that game when he makes the roster? I know I've been using Prime 4 as an argument in favor of Ridley, but at least Ridley has Samus Returns as a fallback if Prime 4 is too late. Sylux doesn't have that same advantage.
They'll add Dark Samus to the main roster, with Baby Samus and Pink Gold Samus coming as DLC.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Also took a digital painting class last semester, our teacher wanted us to make a painting with a narrative. So I painted Medieval Metroid.

"Traditional dragon" Ridley
Lady Aran

And my penultimate painting.

IronTed

Smash Ace
First of all, Super Metroid wall jumping> all other wall jumping.

Second of all, Dark Samus isn't happening. If Brawl and 4 weren't her time, then her time is pretty much never. Sakurai said he added Zero Suit Samus to give Metroid another character (or rather, that was one reason for her inclusion). The fact he skipped over Dark Samus when wanting to add another Metroid rep doesn't bode well for her at all.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Probably done before, but I made a moveset out of Samus Returns.

Ridley is a mode-shifting fighter, shifting between Ground Mode and Flight Mode. Flight Mode is objectively better than Ground, but it is also Ridley's "default" Mode, and Ridley will enter Ground if he is sufficiently damaged, too high off the ground, or offstage. While in Flight Mode, Ridley's moves become stronger, further reaching, and overall better. More importantly, Ridley has infinite flight, and can float anywhere under two conditions: There is a platform or ground beneath him, and he isn't too high off the ground or platform. Should Ridley be taken too high or fly offstage, Ridley will enter a "fall" or "midair" state.

Neutral B: Fireball
Down B: Tail Whip
Side B: Slash
Up B: Fly
Nice gif's. Where'd you find those, or did you make them? I had to screencap for all the images I posted in my rough draft moveset, though regardless, we had the same kind of idea for some moves it looks like. Still, the Proteus form added a good bit of new things to Ridley's already decent arsenal of attacks to draw from, though I guess to be fair, same can be said for pretty much any new appearance he's had, even the hated Other M clone. A moveset that's like a hybrid of all or at least most of his different forms but with Proteus as the base for like special moves, I still think would be the most inspirational.

First of all, Super Metroid wall jumping> all other wall jumping.

Second of all, Dark Samus isn't happening. If Brawl and 4 weren't her time, then her time is pretty much never. Sakurai said he added Zero Suit Samus to give Metroid another character (or rather, that was one reason for her inclusion). The fact he skipped over Dark Samus when wanting to add another Metroid rep doesn't bode well for her at all.
Even giving her a role in SSB4 as an assist trophy/palette swap Samus skin was out of left field, or oddly timed rather (you'd think that would've at least happened in Brawl), so it felt like an afterthought, with it sadly being the only content from Prime 3 to make it into Smash. No trophies, music, etc... Other M gave the excuse to mostly ignore MP3 for the former being more recent.

It's a shame Sakurai didn't see Dark Samus as anything special, enough to make her playable, as she has more to draw from than most clones/doppelgangers I can think of, and is still more fleshed out and iconic than Sylux to boot. I want Sylux to uniquely stand out among the lore, but his actions so far haven't really sold everyone on him, which have mostly retreaded old ground.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Nice gif's. Where'd you find those, or did you make them? I had to screencap for all the images I posted in my rough draft moveset, though regardless, we had the same kind of idea for some moves it looks like. Still, the Proteus form added a good bit of new things to Ridley's already decent arsenal of attacks to draw from, though I guess to be fair, same can be said for pretty much any new appearance he's had, even the hated Other M clone. A moveset that's like a hybrid of all or at least most of his different forms but with Proteus as the base for like special moves, I still think would be the most inspirational.
I used a combination of some Youtube videos showing Samus Returns' final boss and the Imgur video to gif converter. Nothing special.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Oh Ridley, I've never even finished a Metroid game, and even I know you deserve so much more. You can definitely consider me a supporter.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
The Leak might be fake but it can be a dim star of hope along with proteus Ridley and Metroid prime 4. May sakurai see the same lights that we all do.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I don't personally like Ridley that much as a character and find him to be pretty generic, only in comparison to other Smash newcomers that we ended up getting do I personally want him as far as my own tastes are concerned.

The actual reason I want him in is for you guys. After everything you've been through with that cancerous ambiguous shadow, the mocking from the speculation scene and the fanbase, and all of the memes? You guys deserve to be at peace and to finally get your anorexic space dragon. Ridley is more synonymous with Smash Bros than his own franchise at this point, he really doesn't deserve to have his name dragged through the mud like it has been.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Definitely goes to show that Proteus Ridley appears much easier to work with, he looks much better here proportionally than most other things.

Tail might still be an issue, but that can just be fixed when they remove the robotics. Ridleys tail is normally retractable/expandable anyway

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Definitely goes to show that Proteus Ridley appears much easier to work with, he looks much better here proportionally than most other things.

Tail might still be an issue, but that can just be fixed when they remove the robotics. Ridleys tail is normally retractable/expandable anyway
Yeah, and the original proportions were all sorts of wacky.
upload_2018-3-27_12-30-57.png

KingBroly

Smash Lord

Well, if you played Samus Returns, you'd realize that Samus' Gravity Suit Shoulder Pads are almost as big as Ridley himself. It's quite close, though.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Is... is it true that there is a password in the original Metroid called "Engage Ridley ************" that ****s up your game? because it sounds hilarious.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Is... is it true that there is a password in the original Metroid called "Engage Ridley ************" that ****s up your game? because it sounds hilarious.
Yes, the old password systems is games like that could be quirky. As each symbol used in the password applies to a specific value in the game's code. So putting in random characters in the right combinations could result in unusual behavior. Old cheat devices like Game Genie could do the same thing. Weird things happen because that password makes reference to location data that doesn't actually exist in the Metroid ROM and sets the the game timer to an invalid value (2861643271, equivalent to 314.5 years). Which causes glitches or crashing because you've basically confused the ROM to look for data in places it's not suppose to be.

Old video games were heavily dependent on limited memory constraints as such it was possible to write weird code into the game by perform a specific set of actions. The password system in the original Metroid just makes the reprogramming process that much easier which is why there are so many unintended password combos.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Disappointed this thread isn't quite as active as smash 4 era. Is support for Ridley dwindling?

I'm not going to get my hopes up this time, but I don't understand why people seem so down on Ridley's chances. Both he and Metroid more relavent than ever. Ridley was finally a final boss in a recent hit game that won best handheld at the game awards and could easily be a promotional character for prime 4. Nintendo is doing a lot with Metroid and they clearly know the demand is there. The only reasonable point against him is that Sakurai said he wouldn't work, but we know he's changed his mind before (mega Man pac man and villager).
I feel like Ridley is more likely now than he was in smash 4 by far. And as the number of big shot Nintendo characters steadily decreases with each game he moves up on the list of candidates. He's got to be on sakurai's radar.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Disappointed this thread isn't quite as active as smash 4 era. Is support for Ridley dwindling?

I'm not going to get my hopes up this time, but I don't understand why people seem so down on Ridley's chances. Both he and Metroid more relavent than ever. Ridley was finally a final boss in a recent hit game that won best handheld at the game awards and could easily be a promotional character for prime 4. Nintendo is doing a lot with Metroid and they clearly know the demand is there. The only reasonable point against him is that Sakurai said he wouldn't work, but we know he's changed his mind before (mega Man pac man and villager).
I feel like Ridley is more likely now than he was in smash 4 by far. And as the number of big shot Nintendo characters steadily decreases with each game he moves up on the list of candidates. He's got to be on sakurai's radar.
Eh to be fair, it might be a good thing that this thread isn't as active as the one in the Smash 4 days. That thread was a bit of a nightmare as time went along.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Also there isn't a Pic of the Day/Smash Dojo update thing (yet) so there are only so many ways we can say "I want X character" or "I hope the Link in the trailer has a new moveset".

Activity will probably pick up again at E3.

Top Bottom