• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Here's an interesting thought I had: For those of you who watch tournaments/play competitive Smash, If Ridley made it into Smash, where on the tier list would you like to see him? Would it be good if he was an S tier fighter who everyone in top 30 had a pocket of, or would that make him oversaturated and boring? Would it be more hype if he were lower tier, so you can be excited when someone shows up and boldly puts a Ridley on the table? Would a nice middle ground between C-A tier be good, where he's not used everywhere, but is somewhat common because he's a solid choice who isn't just super good or bad with his kit?

If Ridley was a really good S tier character, would you feel kind of bad using him he was perceived to be/was mechanically easy to pick up and use? Or do you think he would be an S tier who is only really good once you really nail down his mechanics and how he works? Then again a steep learning curve might dissuade people from mass picking him up, thus making him place lower anyways.

Here's another question I had: So with the Smash Bros. E3 invitational tournament just announced, of course people are thinking back to the invitational Nintendo held in 2014 at E3 for Smash 4. In that tournament, 20 characters were available, with 6 newcomers playable at the event in Rosalina, Greninja, Little Mac, Villager, Wii Fir Trainer, and Megaman.

So, with that in mind, odds are this invitational will receive a similar treatment: a small sample of characters to play, with a few newcomers thrown in. Inklings is probably a very safer bet for repping the newcomers, and if I had to wager a guess, an Arms rep (probably Springman) would take up a second spot. Assuming four more spots remain, what do you think the chances are that Nintendo would rep Ridley as a playable character for the Invitational?
I do not think any of us here would like to seem him be a bad character and ideally all characters should be viable competitively, but realistically I would like for Ridley to be pretty darn good, but not to the point where he gets demonised like Bayonetta. That would be almost as bad as people using the "too big" argument to make Ridley fans feel bad.

So, I guess anywhere between B and A+? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think Ridley would be a hype AF character to reveal at E3, but I think it would be kinda cool if he was a sort of surprise reveal where he comes out of the shadows or something with an epic reveal, but does not have any gameplay. This would be super exciting because, hey, Ridley is actually playable in Smash, but would still leave the mystery for people to really, really want to get and play the game. The only problem with this would be no gameplay, which would kinda suck.

In either case I do not think he will be playable as part of the tournament because then everyone would be playing him instead of showcasing the other characters cause he is frickn' Ridley :p

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I do not think any of us here would like to seem him be a bad character and ideally all characters should be viable competitively, but realistically I would like for Ridley to be pretty darn good, but not to the point where he gets demonised like Bayonetta. That would be almost as bad as people using the "too big" argument to make Ridley fans feel bad.

So, I guess anywhere between B and A+? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think Ridley would be a hype AF character to reveal at E3, but I think it would be kinda cool if he was a sort of surprise reveal where he comes out of the shadows or something with an epic reveal, but does not have any gameplay. This would be super exciting because, hey, Ridley is actually playable in Smash, but would still leave the mystery for people to really, really want to get and play the game. The only problem with this would be no gameplay, which would kinda suck.

In either case I do not think he will be playable as part of the tournament because then everyone would be playing him instead of showcasing the other characters cause he is frickn' Ridley :p
I'd have to watch the invitation again, but iirc, Nintendo had some kind of measure to ensure no two competitors played the same character for the tournament. It might have been random draw, I'm not sure. If so, odds are only one person would get to test run Ridley, but for sure everyone playing at the event would hope to try out any Newcomer.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Canon or not, I'd rather not have Ridley crawl everywhere. Maybe for his walk, but I really want his run to be him flying forwards (like how Charizard does). Honestly I know people hate the Charizard comparisons, but I really think his movement fits Ridley just fine.

Here's an interesting thought I had: For those of you who watch tournaments/play competitive Smash, If Ridley made it into Smash, where on the tier list would you like to see him? Would it be good if he was an S tier fighter who everyone in top 30 had a pocket of, or would that make him oversaturated and boring? Would it be more hype if he were lower tier, so you can be excited when someone shows up and boldly puts a Ridley on the table? Would a nice middle ground between C-A tier be good, where he's not used everywhere, but is somewhat common because he's a solid choice who isn't just super good or bad with his kit?

If Ridley was a really good S tier character, would you feel kind of bad using him he was perceived to be/was mechanically easy to pick up and use? Or do you think he would be an S tier who is only really good once you really nail down his mechanics and how he works? Then again a steep learning curve might dissuade people from mass picking him up, thus making him place lower anyways.

Here's another question I had: So with the Smash Bros. E3 invitational tournament just announced, of course people are thinking back to the invitational Nintendo held in 2014 at E3 for Smash 4. In that tournament, 20 characters were available, with 6 newcomers playable at the event in Rosalina, Greninja, Little Mac, Villager, Wii Fir Trainer, and Megaman.

So, with that in mind, odds are this invitational will receive a similar treatment: a small sample of characters to play, with a few newcomers thrown in. Inklings is probably a very safer bet for repping the newcomers, and if I had to wager a guess, an Arms rep (probably Springman) would take up a second spot. Assuming four more spots remain, what do you think the chances are that Nintendo would rep Ridley as a playable character for the Invitational?
Ideally I want every character to be perfectly balanced with each other, so whatever we call the one tier, is the one I'd like him to be in. :)

In your examples C-A tier is ideal. I don't want him to be S tier, because people (including me) start to hate characters that are OP.

I think they'll use whatever characters they reveal between then and now. If Ridley happens to be one of those characters, they'll definitely let people play him.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I really wouldn't want Ridley to be S tier, take it from someone with a bit of experience in that regard. I was incredibly excited to play as Meta Knight in Brawl, he was the primary reason I was hyped for the game once we had seen the entire roster, but my entire experience with him was ruined because of how bonkers overpowered he was, it didn't feel rewarding to play as him and nobody else liked playing against me. You can also look at how people react when a Bayo player wins a tournament these days, you quickly become the villain when you main the best character in the game.

Ideally he would be around A or A-, he'd be one of the regulars at tournaments, but not so good that everybody gets tired of him. Heavy weights have historically been awful though, so there's a chance he'd be among the worst characters in the game.

As for the invitational question, if Ridley is in the game then I could actually see them revealing him on stage, just imagine the reaction. If we are to believe the leaks then you'd imagine he was one of the first characters to be worked on though, in which case he'd probably be revealed beforehand and be playable.

Because that's how he moves on the ground in all games where he does so.
He moves on two legs in Prime 1, granted his movement is extremely limited outside of charging at Samus. Personally I don't see him crawling, not so much because of what I mentioned, but more so because his arms will have to be much shorter in Smash, which would make it difficult for him to reach the ground.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I really wouldn't want Ridley to be S tier, take it from someone with a bit of experience in that regard. I was incredibly excited to play as Meta Knight in Brawl, he was the primary reason I was hyped for the game once we had seen the entire roster, but my entire experience with him was ruined because of how bonkers overpowered he was, it didn't feel rewarding to play as him and nobody else liked playing against me. You can also look at how people react when a Bayo player wins a tournament these days, you quickly become the villain when you main the best character in the game.

Ideally he would be around A or A-, more than viable but not so good that everybody gets tired of him. Heavy weights have historically been awful though, so there's a chance he'd be among the worst characters in the game.

As for the invitational question, if Ridley is in the game then I could actually see them revealing him on stage, just imagine the reaction. If we are to believe the leaks then you'd imagine he was one of the first characters to be worked on though, in which case he'd probably be revealed beforehand and be playable.
The funny thing about heavyweights is, being heavy is really only an advantage, it's the size of the hurtbox that hurts the character. Rosalina is the only "big" character that has ever been top tier, and that's because of Luma. I still think big characters can thrive in Smash, I just think Sakurai underestimates the inherit weakness of actually being big in a fighting game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The funny thing about heavyweights is, being heavy is really only an advantage, it's the size of the hurtbox that hurts the character. Rosalina is the only "big" character that has ever been top tier, and that's because of Luma. I still think big characters can thrive in Smash, I just think Sakurai underestimates the inherit weakness of actually being big in a fighting game.
Yeah, when I said heavy weights I really did mean big characters, just an error on my part.

The primary problem is that being big (which usually means long range and powerful attacks) is usually an advantage in free for alls, which they take into consideration when balancing the game. Rosalina was obviously designed as a 1v1 character, but the likes of Bowser, Charizard, Donkey Kong and Dedede are being hamstrung by their power in 4 players matches, which is silly imo as it's such a chaotic environment that you just can't balance the game around it, especially if we begin taking items into the equation. The only way any of those were ever good was Dedede with his chain grab shenanigans in Brawl, which wasn't intentional design, and ironically it hurt the other big characters as he turned out to be a hard counter against them (although he himself had a big weakness to other characters' chain grabs aswell, so there's still that).

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I can’t really see them doing more at E3 than teasing Riddles. They aren’t the kind of people to just let us off the hook that easily; I could see them revealing a few vets and announcing a few newcomers and going with that.

Speaking of, was the tourney last time all newcomers? I don’t think so, so we should get some vets revealed too. How many are we realistically going to get?

I wouldn’t be too surprised if they show off a bunch of trailers, ending with a ‘villain showcase’ where Kirby faces DDD, Mario vs. Bowser, and then they go from there. The Dorf is always one of the last shown, but if they really updated him in moveset and/or aesthetic, he could show. That would all lead up to DK vs K. Rool, and then the trailer would end with Samus looking upwards after a screech is heard. Just to make all the threads on Smashboards have a huge boss vs. playable debate again.

I don’t think he’ll be revealed fully until just before release, which will bite them since the full roster will get leaked a week before. But then again, not many might buy it since Ridley being in is a clear sign of fake leak.

Speaking of, though, where is all the news? They need to have a few characters announced for the invitational in June, and we haven’t seen anything of the game beyond a cinematic trailer and three definite characters - a newcomer and the two vets who may (or hopefully not) get massive changes due to major new mechanics in their latest blockbuster games. We know literally nothing else. When are we getting any news?

It’s been two and a half weeks now, and we’ve already gotten two fake leaks for Ridley? Ugh, the dark side of speculation.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Speaking of, though, where is all the news? They need to have a few characters announced for the invitational in June, and we haven’t seen anything of the game beyond a cinematic trailer and three definite characters - a newcomer and the two vets who may (or hopefully not) get massive changes due to major new mechanics in their latest blockbuster games. We know literally nothing else. When are we getting any news?

It’s been two and a half weeks now, and we’ve already gotten two fake leaks for Ridley? Ugh, the dark side of speculation.
I'd guess at the end of April, I feel pretty certain that they'll give us a proper reveal before E3, it's not like Nintendo to hold a tournament for a game on the day/the day after showing us the game for the first time. With the game coming out this year their character reveal schedule would also be extremely tight, depending on the roster size and the amount of unlockables they'd have to reveal ~40-50 characters in half a year with only two big events around the game (E3 and the inevitable Smash Direct), it'd be a bit more manageable if they cram an event (in this case likely to be the first of two Directs) in just before E3 and get a proper stream of information going two months early.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The only way I'd be fine with Ridley being top-tier is if he was either...

(1) A character with a high learning curve (Rosalina).
(2) A glass cannon character who had a high-risk, high-reward moveset (Mewtwo).

Making a controversial character like Ridley OP is bound to backfire rather quickly. I'd rather have a decent C-tier/D-tier Ridley instead of one who's so cheap and hated by the competitive scene that he's banned from tournaments altogether.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I don’t usually look at tiers, but the larger, slower characters tend to end up low. I’d expect that from Ridley.

I think the bigger concern would be if he’s Melee Mewtwo (large frame, light attacks, featherweight), battling Ganondorf for dead last.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don’t usually look at tiers, but the larger, slower characters tend to end up low. I’d expect that from Ridley.

I think the bigger concern would be if he’s Melee Mewtwo (large frame, light attacks, featherweight), battling Ganondorf for dead last.
Mewtwo wasn't that bad in Melee. Low/Mid tier, but not worst in the game bad. Even then, a huge issue with Melee Mewtwo is that his tail is a hurtbox. If they did that to Ridley it would for sure hurt Ridley's placing.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Unless they have some big third party character planned to announce at E3 (surely there will be Smash news at E3), I could see the event as a good opportunity to revealing Ridley — Even more if Ridley is a relevant character in Metroid Prime 4, and he might as well be. It would be super cool if they could tie in a Ridley announcement to a Metroid Prime 4 trailer featuring the space dragon.

A girl can dream.

It is of my belief that Ridley isn't that big of a character (no pun intended) for an E3 announcement, if they have any third party newcomers for Smash Switch. If not, I can't imagine any first party character that would be as interesting. Some drab Fire Emblem character? Nah. Ridley is the one big antagonist who isn't in the game yet as a playable character. We got Bowser, Ganon, there is Mewtwo who is not a villain, but people love to paint it that way, Dedede (also not a villain, but let's count him). So that leaves Metroid... and Kid Icarus, but let's face it, we will probably get another KI rep in Smash Switch. I'd like Medusa, but Hades is more popular, so... Well, he is a funny character, I can dig it.

So that leaves Metroid and Ridley is the one. The one. Not only he appears in most Metroid games, he is the arch-nemesis of the main character, he looks cool as hell. He is iconic. And on top of that, he is now a meme thanks to Ridley supporters being disappointed over and over again, to the point the developers went as far as make fun of the supporters.

So, assuming for a moment Sakurai let go of his bias and actually added Ridley to the roster (unlikely, he probably added three Fire Emblem lords instead), unless they have some big third party character to announce (something like a Dark Souls or I don't know, Resident Evil character... Jill pls), I can't imagine a bigger character to reveal at an E3 Nintendo Direct other than Ridley.

I would be as happy as I was when Mega Man and Villager were announced, that is for sure.

Again, a girl can dream.

For Ridley's gameplay, I think a mix of Hisako's gameplay (Killer Instinct) with bits of Ridley's unique capabilities such as flying would make for something interesting.

"Hisako is normally a very slow character, possessing a walk speed even slower than Aganos', but she has powerful strikes and her strategy focuses on counterattacks. She has a fast forward dash perfect for rushing the opponent and can jump off of the walls of the stage for mix-ups"

Hmm... Maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Yeah, I woudn't want Ridley being incredibly good or incredibly terrible. Just make him good, like B to A.

But given the trend of large characters, I really doubt Ridley would be S tier.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
Guys, I just had that crazy idea. Since we know that Dark Souls Remastered is coming to Switch and is developed by From which belongs to Bandai Namco and we also know that Bandai Namco is developing Metroid Prime 4, what would you think of our old purple Space Dragon being a secret boss in Dark Souls for Switch? I mean of all Nintendo Bosses to ever exist, he would be the best fit in the world of Dark Souls, wouldn't he?

I mean, I really doubt this would ever happen but just thinking of fighting Ridley with the Dark Souls physics makes me very excited.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Guys, I just had that crazy idea. Since we know that Dark Souls Remastered is coming to Switch and is developed by From which belongs to Bandai Namco and we also know that Bandai Namco is developing Metroid Prime 4, what would you think of our old purple Space Dragon being a secret boss in Dark Souls for Switch? I mean of all Nintendo Bosses to ever exist, he would be the best fit in the world of Dark Souls, wouldn't he?

I mean, I really doubt this would ever happen but just thinking of fighting Ridley with the Dark Souls physics makes me very excited.
That sounds like a pretty cool secret boss idea! Imagine the title: "Ridley - Dragon of Another Realm"! Or "Ridley - Destructive Terror"!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Or Skyrim. Especially since they did put Zelda costumes in, it’d be funny to have a Nintendo exclusive boss as a fight against Ridley with all of the dragon shouts.

Dovahkiin’s been my never-gonna-happen dream Smash character for a while...I’m picturing a trailer of Dragonborn fighting Ridley...

Reila

Unlikely, as From Software is really adamant on keeping the lore of the games as cohesive as possible. Dropping some random cameo in the game would completely ruin that.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Ridley is the one big antagonist who isn't in the game yet as a playable character.
Okay look I'm here supporting Ridley as much as the next Ridley fan (As evidenced by the fact I think I've posted more on this support thread than any other thus far.), but I won't let you sleep on my boy King K. Rool when we're talking villains that should be in Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay look I'm here supporting Ridley as much as the next Ridley fan (As evidenced by the fact I think I've posted more on this support thread than any other thus far.), but I won't let you sleep on my boy King K. Rool when we're talking villains that should be in Smash.
Well K.Rool hasn't made any important appearances lately so he isn't like Ridley, the main villain of the franchise. Only games Ridley didn't appear in are Return of Samus, which got the remake, Prime 2 in which he was planned yet scrapped, Hunters which was made as a multiplayer game first and Fed Force

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97

If Ridley became playable I'm hoping that he would be either B or C tier. A decent fighter who has some downsides but can cause major damage if used right. Considering some of my favorite characters to use are Charizard and Ganondorf, I wouldn't mind if he's mid/low tier as long as he's fun to play as. I wouldn't mind if he was high tier either, but I'd be nervous about how he'd be received online... About the invitational, I don't think Ridley would be playable there. Someone like him would likely be saved as a big reveal before release or as a surprise unlockable. But if he is revealed to be playable at the invitational/E3 I'd be pleasantly surprised.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Well K.Rool hasn't made any important appearances lately so he isn't like Ridley, the main villain of the franchise. Only games Ridley didn't appear in are Return of Samus, which got the remake, Prime 2 in which he was planned yet scrapped, Hunters which was made as a multiplayer game first and Fed Force
That is true that K. Rool hasn't had any major appearances in awhile, I can't deny that. Still, a lot of people still love the DKC series, so I'd say he has being iconic checked off, and honestly even if he wasn't, Pit made Brawl long before Uprising came out, so even if I was a weirdo rooting for a character nobody cared about I could argue he has a vague chance.

But even more I am at least happy to know that K. Rool isn't completely forgotten about by Nintendo. The Smash 4 Mii costume obviously wasn't ideal, but it was nice seeing his classic design appear once again, and Mari Odyssey gave the Kroc a callout with a street named after him in New Donk city.

But even without me arguing my case (And I'll fully admit I'm probably a bit biased. K. Rool is my #1 Newcomer hope, with Ridley being a close second.), I think he'd be a good choice for another Villain in Smash, and I think he'd just be fun as a Smash character. He's unique and crazy looking and offers a unique playstyle for another big heavyweight character.

But my main point to Reila was just that I think K. Rool is a notable villain who should grace Smash imo.

But enough about that. This is the Ridley thread after all, back to our regularly scheduled Ridley posting.

*EDIT* Although on the topic of appearances, if we consider the DKCR series as kind of a mix of reboot/continuation of the DKC series, K. Rool still appeared as DKs primary antagonist for DKC 1, 2, 3, and 64, vs no appearances in Returns or Tropical Freeze. And then K. Rool has been the primary antagonist of DK spinoff games, as well as making appearances in the Mario Sports titles.

Last edited:

Reila

Well, King K. Rool hasn't been around for a while, but Ridley has made an appearance in most Metroid games, including the most recent one. I dig K. Rool, but all things considered, I would say Ridley is a bigger (gods...) and more important character.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Well, King K. Rool hasn't been around for a while, but Ridley has made an appearance in most Metroid games, including the most recent one. I dig K. Rool, but all things considered, I would say Ridley is a bigger (gods...) and more important character.
That is certainly a fair perspective. No doubt Ridley is more topical and relevant at the very least.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd have put Ridley and K. Rool about the same in Brawl. Recent games haven't been generous to K. Rool, though, so speaking as someone who has K. Rool as my most wanted character, putting Ridley a bit above him in importance is probably fair.

Reila

That is certainly a fair perspective. No doubt Ridley is more topical and relevant at the very least.
I want both in Smash, just in case I didn't make it clear. I already have my top priority confirmed (Inklings), having Ridley and K. Rool would be a bliss (though I want Dixie a tad more than K. Rool). I also want Solaire of Astoira just for the lulz.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I want both in Smash, just in case I didn't make it clear. I already have my top priority confirmed (Inklings), having Ridley and K. Rool would be a bliss (though I want Dixie a tad more than K. Rool). I also want Solaire of Astoira just for the lulz.
ngl, I'd be happy for Dixie to make it in, and I'd for sure be happy for her fans, but outside of the copter hair and maybe picking things up with her hair, I'm not sure how she'd differ from Diddy. Although good lord could you imagine how broken she'd be if she was just Diddy but with DK's cargo grab for heavy objects and characters with her hair, and Peaches midair float aerial game with the copter hair?

Reila

ngl, I'd be happy for Dixie to make it in, and I'd for sure be happy for her fans, but outside of the copter hair and maybe picking things up with her hair, I'm not sure how she'd differ from Diddy. Although good lord could you imagine how broken she'd be if she was just Diddy but with DK's cargo grab for heavy objects and characters with her hair, and Peaches midair float aerial game with the copter hair?
Some people suggest that she should use the animal buddies in her moveset. Would definitely be interesting. Like Squawks for her recovery, Rambi for her side special, etc. As long as she has her guitar somewhere (taunt, victory screen, it doesn't matter), I am sold.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Some people suggest that she should use the animal buddies in her moveset. Would definitely be interesting. Like Squawks for her recovery, Rambi for her side special, etc. As long as she has her guitar somewhere (taunt, victory screen, it doesn't matter), I am sold.
Yeah, I could see it. The animal buddies are important to the DKC series. And on the note of Rambi, his charged... charge was introduced in DKC2, the same game Dixie debuted in. I could see that as a slow but powerful side special. If Squawks was her recovery, it'd be interesting if the player could manually control the nuts Squawks spit in DKC2, giving her a damaging recover that requires some strategy to use, kind of like Duck Hunts recovery, but with an arced projectile.

And now that I said it, using her hair to carry items like she did in DKC2 would be a cool excuse to give another character a cargo grab.

And yes, her guitar riff victory would be very cool to see. If it were me I'd probably make it a taunt and a victory animation. The musical riff is just straight cool.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd have put Ridley and K. Rool about the same in Brawl. Recent games haven't been generous to K. Rool, though, so speaking as someone who has K. Rool as my most wanted character, putting Ridley a bit above him in importance is probably fair.
No offense intended; however, I would go much father than "a bit."

StormC

Smash Hero
No offense intended; however, I would go much father than "a bit."
Ridley missed the boat on Metroid II and Prime 2. K. Rool missed Jungle Beat, DKCR, and Tropical Freeze. I think the disparity is pretty negligible, the only difference is that K. Rool isn't as recent.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ridley missed the boat on Metroid II and Prime 2. K. Rool missed Jungle Beat, DKCR, and Tropical Freeze. I think the disparity is pretty negligible, the only difference is that K. Rool isn't as recent.
I feel it has more to do with Ridley being around for nearly a decade earlier and consistently maintaining appearances relative to King K. Rool. Do not get me wrong, he is still important to Donkey Kong. But Ridley is closer to that Bowser/Ganon tier whereas King K. Rool is probably the tier below that, realistically. The difference might be negligible merely because Nintendo is not known for prominent antagonists. But when directly compared, I believe the story is just a bit different. Again, just my opinion. It is just that Ridley transcends even Metroid, he has been relatively important to Smash as well.

Reila

Ridley has been present in a lot more games, including the most recent one. Not only that, but Ridley has appeared in Smash since the original (as a cameo in the background of Zebes), also appearing in the opening of Melee, as a boss in Brawl and as a *breaths*... stage hazard in Smash 4.

K.Rool, on the other hand...

Now, none of this matters, at the end of the day. Whether Ridley and/or K.Rool are added to the Smash 5 playable roster is subject to Sakurai's bias... Or the bias or whoever is directing the game, as I am not sure if Sakurai is leading the team again this time.

StormC

Smash Hero
Ridley has been present in a lot more games.
Not true. Ridley has been in 8 Metroid games (counting remakes and Neo Ridley from Fusion). K. Rool has been the main villain of 9 DK games, had a playable role in another and a playable role in a Mario game, and had a minor role/cameo in Konga. The 64 and Melee appearances of Ridley are as trivial as being a trophy, but if you add in the Smash Boss appearances, he still falls short.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Hmm idk, I keep thinking Ridley is the kind of character Nintendo could show at E3 but hold him until pre-release event demos to actually make him playable. Kind of like how Palutena and Pac-Man were shown at E3 2014 but weren't made playable in events until much later

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think it's worth noting that during the period K. Rool has been absent he has gone completely missing in the DKC franchise, it didn't really matter when Ridley missed Prime 2 or Prime Hunters because they were sandwiched between or released alongside games like Zero Mission and Prime 3 where he had prominent roles, so there never was any concern regarding his future, where as with K. Rool we don't know when we might see him again. The time that has passed since his last appearance is also notable, which is 10 years ago in some janky Mario baseball game iirc, the only major hiatuses Ridley has had has been when the franchise itself has been on hold.

Part of the reason I really hope K. Rool gets in is so he can get a proper revival, I just can't understand how Nintendo, a company that prides itself on its great characters, has allowed him to end up in his current situation, it's baffling.

Reila

Not true. Ridley has been in 8 Metroid games (counting remakes and Neo Ridley from Fusion). K. Rool has been the main villain of 9 DK games, had a playable role in another and a playable role in a Mario game, and had a minor role/cameo in Konga. The 64 and Melee appearances of Ridley are as trivial as being a trophy, but if you add in the Smash Boss appearances, he still falls short.
Honestly, I don't really count anything other than Donkey Kong Country, 2 and 3, as well as Returns and Tropical Freeze. Those are the mainline games, but feel free to disagree. Ridley has been Samus' nemesis in a ton of mainline games, such as Metroid, Super, Fusion (a X-parasite clone...), Zero Mission, Prime, Prime 3 and as far as I read, the Metroid II remake as well. Oh, and the abomination called Other M.

At any rate, I think both would be cool in Smash. Donkey Kong Country, in particular 2 and 3, are actually a lot more meaningful to me than any Metroid title.

IronTed

Smash Ace
The fact is, as of late (and by late I mean the last 10ish years) K. Rool has had no appearances in the mainline DKC games DKCR and TF. Granted there have been few Metroid games during that period of time (only two games one of which was a spinoff), but Ridley still made an appearance in the mainline remake Samus Returns despite not appearing in Return if Samus, clearing displaying Ridley's prominence in his universe. You can't really say the same for K. Rool right now.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Saw some people discussing Sylux and how he's likely the main antagonist of MP4. While this is true, I dont think that hurts Ridley's chances for the base roster. If anything, I think Sylux is just a lock for DLC for Smash 5, while the Ridley being on the base roster is still on the table.

MP4 is likely 2019, and having a character in Smash to promote it just makes too much sense and Sylux would fit perfectly.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I guess it's easy to forget/gloss over that Smash 3DS is the only game in the franchise that Ridley didn't appear in at all. Though as many pointed out, that was a dark time for Metroid in general (with Federation Force being the only 3DS Metroid in the coming years, and Other M being the last thing to draw assets/"inspiration" from).

If Smash 3DS were just barely releasing now, I'd be much more confident in Ridley at least making a cameo (trophy, stage/theme remix, etc.)

I've been a longtime fan of DK as well. So seeing K. Rool not get any kind of love in so long makes me sad. Smash aside, the series misses the quirky gator. But that's for another thread.

Top Bottom