• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Any good new Ridley leaks or Rumors this past week? Holding onto hope... always.
Aside from Vergeben mentioning the character as a newcomer and possible hints from Jonneh, not really.
Got beat to it, nevermind.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I loved the Smash 4 speculation days, we did not get what we wanted; however, I genuinely had a lot of fun. The Ridley thread was the best. Most of the other threads were really boring, but the Ridley thread, for the most part, was always exciting. I do not mind the tranquil approach this time around, but at the same time, it does not really befit Ridley and it just makes him seem like "another Nintendo character" which could not be further from the truth in my eyes. It is what it is.
Oh, I mean, it is great that you got to enjoy those days, xD Back in 2014, it was the very first time I joined a discussion forum, and being around the speculation overall with the sudden pop up of detractors (Please, don't call them "Toobigots", that term kind of bothers me) and whatnot? That and some other things were kind of strange to me, but later on some people made me reach the point where I even felt sick of Ridley for some reason, but a friend got me back to it to only enjoy Rids as a character and not because of Smash. Now, this time I hope for the rest that do sopport him (including plenty of friends) that they finally get to play him after eons.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Um, what do you mean? Did I miss something?
It’s ancient news now. Was from a week ago. Basically, some mod over on ResetEra posted hints of a playable Ridley. He has a history of correctly leaking info about games. Also either he or another ResetEra mod tweeted hints about a playable Ridley. But then, everyone involved flat out said they have zero Smash info and that they were just speculating.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It’s ancient news now. Was from a week ago. Basically, some mod over on ResetEra posted hints of a playable Ridley. He has a history of correctly leaking info about games. Also either he or another ResetEra mod tweeted hints about a playable Ridley. But then, everyone involved flat out said they have zero Smash info and that they were just speculating.
Do you mean Vergeben by any chance or another guy?

Last edited:
Y'all have the leaks all ****ed up.

ERA mod, and previous multiple time leaker Jonneh (kind of guy who absolutely has info) was hinting at Ridley. Blatantly. Tweets, and ERA posts. After it went public, he walked back the statements and deleted the tweets. They were the exact same kind of posts as the rest of his hints, but he didn't like it being up. Maybe it was a hint he din't want up, maybe he was just joking. I suggest believing the latter for the sake of your sanity.

MemoryMan, the moron that he is, took an unrelated third party's speculation as fact. That whole GFAQ thread thing is unrelated

Someone on GameFaqs claiming to be Vergeben (The Kappa leaker. I dont know if it is their GFAQS account so im leaving that little asterisk) also claimed that Ridley would be in smash. Didn't give any info, and also has a very spotty record. Super shady guy, and has even edited leaks to make them seem more credible (only proves how shady they are.)
:061:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
You will pay over 700 dollars for a statue and you will like it
That is pretty cheap considering the size it would be :p

Honestly though, a Ridley amiibo is a necessity regardless of whether or not he gets into Smash. He would look so cool, and who would say no to a space dragon amiibo?. Besides, Mr. Squishy the Metroid amiibo needs a giant purple space dragon next to him on the shelf otherwise he just seems kinda lonely...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ayep. My recently acquired Metroid amiibo is already kinda lonely as it is.

That is surprisingly deep. They say you enjoy characters you can relate to, perhaps we are all just masochistic? Or maybe Ridely was never the answer and we need to support a meta-Ridley without wings? The world may never know.
Not sure how I would say Ridley's relateable, if at all. Regardless, one of the main attractions of gaming since its inception has been being able to be and play as something that you're not, which has easily made video games one of the most prevailing forms of escapism, and with something cool and popular conceptually like Ridley, the appeal of the idea of playing as him just came naturally for some fans after awhile, not because they relate to him or anything.

Is more or less how I see it anyway. Could go on with other examples, but I guess that'd be getting off-topic. Will say at least that how I first got introduced to him through Super Metroid as my first SNES game was something special. Of course pretty much anyone that likes Ridley has some cool or unique moment as to how they came to know him I reckon...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

ERA mod, and previous multiple time leaker Jonneh (kind of guy who absolutely has info) was hinting at Ridley. Blatantly. Tweets, and ERA posts. After it went public, he walked back the statements and deleted the tweets. They were the exact same kind of posts as the rest of his hints, but he didn't like it being up. Maybe it was a hint he din't want up, maybe he was just joking. I suggest believing the latter for the sake of your sanity.

MemoryMan, the moron that he is, took an unrelated third party's speculation as fact. That whole GFAQ thread thing is unrelated

Someone on GameFaqs claiming to be Vergeben (The Kappa leaker. I dont know if it is their GFAQS account so im leaving that little asterisk) also claimed that Ridley would be in smash. Didn't give any info, and also has a very spotty record. Super shady guy, and has even edited leaks to make them seem more credible (only proves how shady they are.)
For the record we do know that it's the same Vergeben as he repeated the entire thing on Reddit when asked about Smash. I don't think it's worth it to put any faith in these rumors though.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Not sure how I would say Ridley's relateable, if at all. Regardless, one of the main attractions of gaming since its inception has been being able to be and play as something that you're not, which has easily made video games one of the most prevailing forms of escapism, and with something cool and popular conceptually like Ridley, the appeal of the idea of playing as him just came naturally for some fans after awhile, not because they relate to him or anything.
Don't know what you mean. Being a sadistic purple space pirate dragon who is repeatedly blown up and never gets into smash is basically my life story. Very relateable.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Is more or less how I see it anyway. Could go on with other examples, but I guess that'd be getting off-topic. Will say at least that how I first got introduced to him through Super Metroid as my first SNES game was something special. Of course pretty much anyone that likes Ridley has some cool or unique moment as to how they came to know him I reckon...
Yesterday I saw a Phazon suit Samus itty bitty figure, I felt like wanting to take her but, but just wished there was a Ridley one just as small, because a huge 600 dlls one is way too much despite it looking gorgeous as all heck.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For the record we do know that it's the same Vergeben as he repeated the entire thing on Reddit when asked about Smash. I don't think it's worth it to put any faith in these rumors though.
At the very least, these rumors are worth remembering. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but the fact that so many "reliable" people are bringing him up this early on is a good sign. It's even more interesting how none of the sources who denied having inside information couldn't seem to flat-out say, "I don't know anything about whether or not Ridley is in Smash", even though the primary reason they got attention in the first place was because of Ridley rumors.

Even if all of this ends up being total Ridley hogwash, it's giving people a reason to revisit the character again instead of just pulling out the done to death "Sakurai said he's too big" argument and moving on to someone else.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Time to get on this rollercoaster of emotions again.
I'd still like him, but I'm not going to have any hopes raised for myself this time around after Smash 4.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It was originally posted by @Wolley2xjd, and aside from the tail and wings (which wouldn't be issues if they used the Brawl/Super Metroid design), it seems workable.
This is what I've been thinking this whole time. His tail and wings are what kill his chances.

IMO, in addition to the Brawl proportions, they really need to take from SR Ridley's ground stance as well.

Note how his tail is raised and his wings are folded.

Maybe if they shorten his tail a bit more and shrink the wings to Brawl/Super size in addition to what SR does, his proportions will finally be suitable.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
I just thought in another reason why Ridley should be playable in this next smash.... A RIDLEY AMIIBO! Why there is still no Ridley amiibos!? I want to buy one! C'mon Nintendo!
A Ridley amiibo would be pretty darn sweet. Riddles would be a welcome addition to my small collection. Part of me is hoping that Prime 4 has some amiibo compatibility and they'll make some sort of special Prime-themed Ridley/Meta Ridley amiibo for the game for Ridley-related content... (Artwork? A bonus level starring Ridley? Something else? I don't know.)

Speaking of amiibo, if the trainable amiibo fighters return, I wonder if the amiibo used in Smash Wii U/3DS can carry over some of their data to Smash 5... (Level, stats, equipment, etc.) Probably not, but it'd be nice if we didn't have to train them all from scratch all over again.

Morbi

Scavenger

Ridley does not need to be relatable. He is a giant, purple, space dragon. That is enough for most people.

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like Ridley crawling might be kinda awkward looking in Smash... though the more I watch that video the more I'm curious about it. Would certainly make him stand out visually.

Morbi

Scavenger
I found this through Google.

It was originally posted by @Wolley2xjd, and aside from the tail and wings (which wouldn't be issues if they used the Brawl/Super Metroid design), it seems workable.
I would really hate to say it (actually, I always wanted to say it un-ironically), but that seems a bit too big. I guess it would be fine in a one versus one; however, if you think about 4 Ridley on a smaller stage, or if 8-player Smash returns (pls no), it would just be ludicrous.

StormC

Smash Hero
Wingspan will always be Ridley's biggest issue and if Sakurai can't get it to work then I don't see him appearing.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wingspan will always be Ridley's biggest issue and if Sakurai can't get it to work then I don't see him appearing.
That does beg the question, would it just be fine if he shrunk the wings? Ridley would definitely look weird, but would Ridley fans be okay with that? I know I would; however, it would not surprise me if other people were not as into it. Even I am a bit skeptical about Link in BotW just because I am so attached to the iconic tunic. It will probably be a costume, but I am just worried because they would have to model a hat, and last time, they did not even bother removing the hat for the Skyward Sword costume.

I am not sure if wings and a tunic are even close to the same, but that is even more reason to suspect people would not want his wings tampered with.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I feel like Ridley crawling might be kinda awkward looking in Smash... though the more I watch that video the more I'm curious about it. Would certainly make him stand out visually.
As long as they fix his wings and tail it could work. Remember Bowser's run in Melee and Brawl? His crawling would be in a similar boat.

StormC

Smash Hero
That does beg the question, would it just be fine if he shrunk the wings? Ridley would definitely look weird, but would Ridley fans be okay with that? I know I would; however, it would not surprise me if other people were not as into it. Even I am a bit skeptical about Link in BotW just because I am so attached to the iconic tunic. It will probably be a costume, but I am just worried because they would have to model a hat, and last time, they did not even bother removing the hat for the Skyward Sword costume.

I am not sure if wings and a tunic are even close to the same, but that is even more reason to suspect people would not want his wings tampered with.
Only real way I can see it working is if his wings are folded in perpetuity, but then they would have to be out when he flies. Sakurai would have to basically redesign his anatomy, which he's never really done for a character before, barring maybe Mega Man, who uses his NES proportions.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545

If Vergeben said it then id say more likely. If you payed attention to the soul calibur 6 reveals then he was correct on alot of things

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley does not need to be relatable. He is a giant, purple, space dragon. That is enough for most people.
Pretty much this. Very few characters in all of fiction I find to be actually relateable. ****posting aside, some just loosely say that about other characters to make it look like they have another good reason for liking them.

Did anyone have a problem when all the 2D sprites (i.e. Super Metroid Ridley) had tiny wings that didn't look like they'd realistically support the rest of the body? At least Proteus Ridley has a smaller wingspan compared to the Other M clone as pointed out, though aside from that and the tail being stretched out, Ridley in SSB4 looks okay I guess when compared to someone with a super mushroom...

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well now we know it was just speculation and not a leak

But that doesn't mean Ridleys chances are zero I mean that villager miracle could happen for ridley

But really the bigger problem is sylux is very likely to be the main villain of metroid prime 4 from the rumors

And we know sylux is small enough if we are to get a new metroid rep at long last it's him to present for metroid prime 4

(Reminder sakurai may know what's in metroid prime 4)

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I doubt Sakurai knows anything about Prime 4. It's still a year away or so and Sylux is such a minor character in the big scheme of things.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I just beat Samus returns, like, right now... that was intense.

The way he puts his wings and tail are actually a pretty good way to make him look smaller in Smash, just saying.
But the best part is that it seems the game was made by a Spanish team, now I feel proud of being from Spain :)
Anyways, that was an awesome game, now is time for the next game in the chronology, Super Metroid!

StormC

Smash Hero
Thinking about it, Ridley crawling might be a good option wrt Ridley's eye level to Samus. He can be like Donkey Kong who is technically the tallest character in the cast but is always squatting. I always feel like Ridley's eye level should be above Samus's in Smash, but you might be able to fudge it depending on the pose.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Why would Ridley have to crawl though? Not every character in Sm4sh can, so it could just be that he has a crouch, which could look similar to Charizard's.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Why would Ridley have to crawl though? Not every character in Sm4sh can, so it could just be that he has a crouch, which could look similar to Charizard's.
Because that's how he moves on the ground in all games where he does so.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Here's an interesting thought I had: For those of you who watch tournaments/play competitive Smash, If Ridley made it into Smash, where on the tier list would you like to see him? Would it be good if he was an S tier fighter who everyone in top 30 had a pocket of, or would that make him oversaturated and boring? Would it be more hype if he were lower tier, so you can be excited when someone shows up and boldly puts a Ridley on the table? Would a nice middle ground between C-A tier be good, where he's not used everywhere, but is somewhat common because he's a solid choice who isn't just super good or bad with his kit?

If Ridley was a really good S tier character, would you feel kind of bad using him he was perceived to be/was mechanically easy to pick up and use? Or do you think he would be an S tier who is only really good once you really nail down his mechanics and how he works? Then again a steep learning curve might dissuade people from mass picking him up, thus making him place lower anyways.

Here's another question I had: So with the Smash Bros. E3 invitational tournament just announced, of course people are thinking back to the invitational Nintendo held in 2014 at E3 for Smash 4. In that tournament, 20 characters were available, with 6 newcomers playable at the event in Rosalina, Greninja, Little Mac, Villager, Wii Fir Trainer, and Megaman.

So, with that in mind, odds are this invitational will receive a similar treatment: a small sample of characters to play, with a few newcomers thrown in. Inklings is probably a very safer bet for repping the newcomers, and if I had to wager a guess, an Arms rep (probably Springman) would take up a second spot. Assuming four more spots remain, what do you think the chances are that Nintendo would rep Ridley as a playable character for the Invitational?

Top Bottom