• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I don't think it is the same source. It was said that his source for JoJo was lying to him to "teach him a lesson" and "to help him improve". DasVergeben has severed ties with that source. I think if it was the same source, he'd post an update about Ridley, and the source lying to him. He has said that the source regarding Metroid Prime 4 is the same for Ridley and is "very reliable". That's not to say we should dive in head first and believe this leak, considering what has happened before (Tower of Smash). We just need to be careful, and hope for the best.
What leak?

Reminder that Vergeben is still pretty ****-y when it comes to info.

Soul Calibur info was wrong, SFV info was wrong, and frankly, the Saiyans part was known to a lot of people before Vergeben had said anything (hell I knew about Broly bardock and base forms. That says a lot.)

Not to mention editing stuff to make them seem more accurate.

Don't get hasty.
:061:

Morbi

Scavenger

Soul Calibur info was wrong, SFV info was wrong, and frankly, the Saiyans part was known to a lot of people before Vergeben had said anything (hell I knew about Broly bardock and base forms. That says a lot.)

Don't get hasty.
Again, realistically, I never needed any leak to believe that Ridley has a genuine chance. Now more than ever given that Waluigi is the next largest Nintendo character that Sakurai would realistically add. I say, that alone, gives him a chance. The plentiful leaks definitely inspire a bit of confidence, but nothing I would not have expected.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Also there isn't a Pic of the Day/Smash Dojo update thing (yet) so there are only so many ways we can say "I want X character" or "I hope the Link in the trailer has a new moveset".

Activity will probably pick up again at E3.
I mean, last time the thread ended close to 2,000 pages, right? That's a ridiculously high bar, especially with a shorter hype cycle.
Basically this. We just don’t have any information. All we know is that the game exists, and Inkling, Mario, and Link are confirmed.

Also, I’d credit it at least a bit to some of us getting older and more reasonable. Think about the Brawl days (the cloud theory, the Melee poll, the 35-character vs 48-character debate, etc) and the Sm4sh days (the shadow debates, “more boss characters”, the Tower of Smash, the character icon debate, the Sal theory, etc). I think people have just learned a lot from the last two (hell, it wasn’t even just Ridley! Speculation for both of those games was out of control in general, then Ridley speculation was just next level). This time, people aren’t quite seeing things that aren’t there just because they want to believe, at least not yet. If the Smash 5 trailer was shown for Brawl or Sm4sh, there would alread be heated debates about somebody finding Ridley and K Rool in the fire of the Smash logo, and Decidueye and Geno in the silhouettes.

tl;dr: the community’s consensus this go-round is “I’m hopeful...but I’m not falling for that **** again.”

Morbi

Scavenger
Basically this. We just don’t have any information. All we know is that the game exists, and Inkling, Mario, and Link are confirmed.

Also, I’d credit it at least a bit to some of us getting older and more reasonable. Think about the Brawl days (the cloud theory, the Melee poll, the 35-character vs 48-character debate, etc) and the Sm4sh days (the shadow debates, “more boss characters”, the Tower of Smash, the character icon debate, the Sal theory, etc). I think people have just learned a lot from the last two (hell, it wasn’t even just Ridley! Speculation for both of those games was out of control in general, then Ridley speculation was just next level). This time, people aren’t quite seeing things that aren’t there just because they want to believe, at least not yet. If the Smash 5 trailer was shown for Brawl or Sm4sh, there would alread be heated debates about somebody finding Ridley and K Rool in the fire of the Smash logo, and Decidueye and Geno in the silhouettes.

tl;dr: the community’s consensus this go-round is “I’m hopeful...but I’m not falling for that **** again.”
Eh, it has only been about two years and this thread was pretty much closed because of, death threats, I believe? Or at least that was the rumor. I doubt that is much time for people to grow and even if it was, I learned that people never truly grow up. It is easy to dismiss all toxicity as "children" but it is really not reality.

I thought I was present for most of Smash 4 and I do not remember the boss characters, tower of smash, character icon debate or sal theory. All I remember was the shadow which I still stand by, to be quite honest. The logic was fine despite the result.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

What was the logic behind that 35 vs 48 character thing during Brawl speculation again? I had forgotten all about it, I only remember it was a big deal, so I'd like to have my mind refreshed on the matter. Same for the Sal (Romano?) theory aswell.

Anyways, I think speculation will kick on to its usual self as soon as we're actually getting updates on the game, Smash 4 speculation was also pretty low key in between the initial announcement by Iwata and up until the E3 reveal. Right now none of the fanbases have anything to discuss really, once we get updates almost everyone will go back to their usual crazy selves. Some people will have matured yes, but we also have to remember new and younger people will join the community.

I agree that the Ridley fanbase may never get as crazy as it used to be though, most people approach it with a skeptical point of view now, and in previous cases I think it went completely bonkers because there was such a strong belief and expectation that he'd make it. The only way I see anything similar to your examples happening again is if Ridley is teased in a really obvious way, I don't think we will try and connect every hint to Ridley anymore like we used to.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
What was the logic behind that 35 vs 48 character thing during Brawl speculation again? I had forgotten all about it, I only remember it was a big deal, so I'd like to have my mind refreshed on the matter. Same for the Sal (Romano?) theory aswell.

Anyways, I think speculation will kick on to its usual self as soon as we're actually getting updates on the game, Smash 4 speculation was also pretty low key in between the initial announcement by Iwata and up until the E3 reveal. Right now none of the fanbases have anything to discuss really, once we get updates everyone will go back to their usual crazy selves. Some people will have matured yes, but we also have to remember new and younger people will join the community.

I agree that the Ridley fanbase may never get as crazy as it used to be though, most people approach it with a skeptical point of view now, and in previous cases I think it went completely bonkers because there was such a strong belief and expectation that he'd make it. The only way I see anything similar to your examples happening again is if Ridley is teased in a *really* obvious way, I don't think we will try and connect every hint to Ridley anymore like we used to.
Honestly, this time around, if he is in the game, we probably do not have to worry about any of that. He is blatantly an e3 character. Unless they have an insane third party character, Ridley is going to need to carry the hype. This thread might not even have a chance to make it to 100 pages. Unless they hint at him before e3, which I highly doubt.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
View attachment 139844
"*Sigh*, How about instead of looking at that action as some kind of brutal move against little yellow pests, why don't we take it as an easier and faster way to paint walls? Sometimes the room I get to be in needs of a decorative change!"

:p
Oh, hey! Nice to see you again. Remember me from sm4sh? It's always nice to see more people from the old Ridley thread. Makes me nostalgic. I had such confidance he'd be in that one. Here's hoping this is the one.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Honestly, this time around, if he is in the game, we probably do not have to worry about any of that. He is blatantly an e3 character. Unless they have an insane third party character, Ridley is going to need to carry the hype. This thread might not even have a chance to make it to 100 pages. Unless they hint at him before e3, which I highly doubt.
I definitely see him as an early reveal too should he be in. Beyond the hype reason you'd also imagine that he'd be one of, if not the first newcomer to have been developed. Obviously his all-star status is one factor in that, but you'd imagine they'd also have to find out if they could even pull him off as one of the first things before they could go on to other characters, otherwise the development cycle would be thrown off. Historically characters that have been amongst the first in development have pretty much always been early reveals too, and if we give the leaks the benefit of the doubt then they support him being planned as one of the first characters, as leaks that come this long before release tend to be from early development (Gematsu as an example). They'll also want some newcomers to be playable at the Invitational, so if Ridley is one of the few who's in a fully playable state, then they might not have any other choice than to reveal him beforehand.

If he misses E3 then I think we're more or less done here, there's obviously the chance that they'd use Ridley to string fans along, and then reveal him close to release to have a hype explosion, but I don't think that's anywhere nearly as beneficial for them as revealing him on the biggest gaming stage and with the most media coverage. Plus, they'll want to use him for marketing, there's no better way to sell your game than to put a dragon on the cover.

Morbi

Scavenger
I definitely see him as an early reveal too should he be in. Beyond the hype reason you'd also imagine that he'd be one of, if not the first newcomer to have been developed. Obviously his all-star status is one factor in that, but you'd imagine they'd also have to find out if they could even pull him off as one of the first things before they could go on to other characters, otherwise the development cycle would be thrown off. Historically characters that have been amongst the first in development have pretty much always been early reveals too, and if we give the leaks the benefit of the doubt then they support him being planned as one of the first characters, as leaks that come this long before release tend to be from early development (Gematsu as an example). They'll also want some newcomers to be playable at the Invitational, so if Ridley is one of the few who's in a fully playable state, then they might not have any other choice than to reveal him beforehand.

If he misses E3 then I think we're more or less done here, there's obviously the chance that they'd use Ridley to string fans along, and then reveal him close to release to have a hype explosion, but I don't think that's anywhere nearly as beneficial for them as revealing him on the biggest gaming stage and with the most media coverage. Plus, they'll want to use him for marketing, there's no better way to sell your game than to put a dragon on the cover.
Not only that, but you have to also consider what is at e3, Metroid Prime 4, it just makes a lot of sense for cross promotional marketing reasons. To that end, there could potentially be a Pokemon newcomer as well, and that is all fine for the casual audience, but Ridley is something that the hardcore crowd could really get behind.

I agree, if Ridley is not at e3, I will lose all hope for the base game. However, I would just start my DLC hype train a bit earlier. I just cannot fathom Ridley missing Smash again, not when there are so few viable characters to add. That would be ludicrous.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Not only that, but you have to also consider what is at e3, Metroid Prime 4, it just makes a lot of sense for cross promotional marketing reasons. To that end, there could potentially be a Pokemon newcomer as well, and that is all fine for the casual audience, but Ridley is something that the hardcore crowd could really get behind.

I agree, if Ridley is not at e3, I will lose all hope for the base game. However, I would just start my DLC hype train a bit earlier. I just cannot fathom Ridley missing Smash again, not when there are so few viable characters to add. That would be ludicrous.
While logically I agree, it's probably a good idea to temper our expectations. I was very sure that he would be in the last one and I took it pretty hard when he wasn't because of it. We should all just be careful this time, just in case.

Morbi

Scavenger
While logically I agree, it's probably a good idea to temper our expectations. I was very sure that he would be in the last one and I took it pretty hard when he wasn't because of it. We should all just be careful this time, just in case.
I, personally, do not need to temper my expectations. I have been disappointed plenty when it comes to expectations in gaming and I have become somewhat immune, myself. If I was not excited about Ridley, there would not be much for me to be completely honest. Everything else is just too obvious, as far as I am concerned. I would probably just sit on the sidelines if there was nothing exciting to speculate about.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I, personally, do not need to temper my expectations. I have been disappointed plenty when it comes to expectations in gaming and I have become somewhat immune, myself. If I was not excited about Ridley, there would not be much for me to be completely honest. Everything else is just too obvious, as far as I am concerned. I would probably just sit on the sidelines if there was nothing exciting to speculate about.
Fair enough:) I really do think he will be in this time though. It's just kind of hard to imagine it really happening after all this time. I swear if at e3 they show a Metroid prime 4 trailer and then the smash logo pops up my heart is going to stop beating.

Morbi

Scavenger
Fair enough:) I really do think he will be in this time though. It's just kind of hard to imagine it really happening after all this time. I swear if at e3 they show a Metroid prime 4 trailer and then the smash logo pops up my heart is going to stop beating.
As much as I expect Ridley, I have to be honest, I cannot even imagine. It is pretty hard to get me hype similar to the reaction videos where people are rolling around and screaming, but Ridley in Smash would probably be that one thing that could manage it. I have been waiting for most of my life, oddly enough. Ever since that godforsaken Melee intro.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I agree with this so hard. Ridley would make sense on the cover to where its brilliant, I wouldn't have realized. A sick reference to, "Ridley?! Where the ** have you been?!"
** DLC, dude. Its E3 or bust for Ridley. No more waiting. NOW!

I want this to end. I want to see this thread talking about Ridley finally being in the game. NOTHING ELSE!

I want confirmation. To Cease! the speculation.

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree with this so hard. Ridley would make sense on the cover to where its brilliant, I wouldn't have realized. A sick reference to, "Ridley?! Where the ** have you been?!"

** DLC, dude. Its E3 or bust for Ridley. No more waiting. NOW!

I want this to end. I want to see this thread talking about Ridley finally being in the game. NOTHING ELSE!

I want confirmation. To Cease! the speculation.
I feel you, fam, I understand. I do not want him as a DLC character either, but we have to be real, he would, easily, be the best selling character. It might be in their interest to keep us waiting unless they give us that early reveal that he deserves.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If they continue the fireball logo in the eye thing, then the cover is going to be all of newcomers' eyes with the Smash logo.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I feel you, fam, I understand. I do not want him as a DLC character either, but we have to be real, he would, easily, be the best selling character. It might be in their interest to keep us waiting unless they give us that early reveal that he deserves.
Let Ridley sell the game from E3. No more waiting.

StormC

Smash Hero
If neither K. Rool or Ridley appears at E3, I might be worried. If one appears, I think it's still encouraging for the other one.

Personally, I would reveal one at E3 and reveal the other as the last character. But the last reveal for Brawl and 4 were both mid-level characters like Olimar and Shulk, so I dunno if that would happen this time around.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I mean, Ridley doesn't have to be an E3 reveal. It really depends on what gets revealed. If a third party megaton gets revealed, than it makes sense to hold Ridley back. If, say, Waluigi is the headliner, than the dream is pretty much dead.

Morbi

Scavenger
I mean, Ridley doesn't have to be an E3 reveal. It really depends on what gets revealed. If a third party megaton gets revealed, than it makes sense to hold Ridley back. If, say, Waluigi is the headliner, than the dream is pretty much dead.
I definitely agree, I mentioned it a bit earlier, but that would be a logical reason to hold him back. Needless to say, I am not really expecting a megaton third-party, the largest I expect is Crash, and while that would be big, it would not be "Too Big."

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
What leak?
DasVergeben's leak about Metroid Prime 4 being developed by Bandai Namco, and another leak saying Ridley is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Switch.

Don't get hasty.
Nobody here's saying that they believe him and his leaks...

I certainly don't, I'm already aware of his dodgy record.

I still hold on to Ridley having a chance this time, regardless of leaks.

Morbi

Scavenger
DasVergeben's leak about Metroid Prime 4 being developed by Bandai Namco, and another leak saying Ridley is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Switch.

Nobody here's saying that they believe him and his leaks...

I certainly don't, I'm already aware of his dodgy record.

I still hold on to Ridley having a chance this time, regardless of leaks.
If nobody here is saying that they believe him and his leaks, I will be the first. I believe him. :cool:

Ridley, time to come home, big boy.

StormC

Smash Hero
Crash might not happen because of timing. Besides him there's not really a big third party addition that fits the bill. This Smash speculation period is breaking all the "rules" of previous games so the big reveal might not be a third party at all.

Morbi

Scavenger
Crash might not happen because of timing. Besides him there's not really a big third party addition that fits the bill. This Smash speculation period is breaking all the "rules" of previous games so the big reveal might not be a third party at all.
That is sort of my point, the only big reveal they could possibly muster is King K. Rool or Ridley unless they want to go the Goku route. And while I fully expect him, that is more of a DLC thing to keep interest in the game.

The other possibility is that they try and pass Rayman or something off as "big." But I doubt it would work.

StormC

Smash Hero
Rayman and Bomberman are mid-level reveals who happen to be third party. They aren't gaming icons on the level of Cloud, Ryu, and Crash. The amount of hype they would generate would probably be closer to Bayonetta. Probably not E3 tier characters.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
The thing about DasVergeben bis that he has a lot of 50/50 sources. He correctly leaked the DBZ DLC characters, he correctly leaked the SCVI reveal, Grøh and characters like Zasalamel coming back.

But he's also been wrong. Aside from the above, he's gotten pretty much everything else SCVI-related wrong as far as I know. He also got the Jojo info wrong. But that all comes down to his sources (the source for the initial SCVI reveal and the info he got there is either not the same as the one his other info came from, or IIRC his source got found out and fired. The source for the Jojo intentionally fed his false info).

If Namco turns out to be developing Metroid Prime 4, then I'd put a lot more stock in Ridley's Smash chances because it's the same source revealing them both, and if they're shown to be accurate and trustworthy with the one piece of info, then they're more likely to be accurate and trustworthy with both. And vice-versa as well, depending on which we find out about first.

But until it's officially confirmed, it's not a leak, it's an unverified rumor coming from a known-leaker who's very wishy-washy as far as sources go and has a good track-record when his sources are correct.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For some reason this made me laugh. I'm just picturing Nintendo promising one of the most hype-inducing characters of all time, and then imagining how confused people would be when Waluigi is revealed.

"Wait, do you guys think there's more? Is there, like, another press conference or something where Ridley or K. Rool could be revealed?"

Anyway, to add on to what you said, Nintendo generally reveals it's biggest characters early on. Brawl got Meta Knight, Wario, and Snake, and SSB4 got Villager, Mega Man, and Rosalina. Is it impossible for Ridley to appear after E3? Not at all. Bowser Jr. is a fairly iconic character who was kept as a hidden character until the SSB4's 3DS release. Is it logical to keep Ridley hidden that long? Not really, especially since he's one of the most-requested characters.

To put it simply, if Ridley isn't one of the first few characters announced, I'd start lowing your expectations just to be safe.

IronTed

Smash Ace
But until it's officially confirmed, it's not a leak, it's an unverified rumor coming from a known-leaker who's very wishy-washy as far as sources go and has a good track-record when his sources are correct.
This. I get it's nitpicking, but people should stop calling rumors leaks. The latter implies it's totally confirmed.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I hope they do a character reveal at the Invitational this year. Such a missed opportunity with Pac-Man.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The other thing that would basically deconfirm Ridley is if we see prime 4 at e3 and no Ridley. They would time those together.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To be fair, the initial E3 reveal of Samus Returns didn’t show Ridley. They saved teasing/spoiling that for a direct the week prior to when MSR was coming out. Probably wouldn’t expect to see him in the first MP4 trailer, that said.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
To be fair, the initial E3 reveal of Samus Returns didn’t show Ridley. They saved teasing/spoiling that for a direct the week prior to when MSR was coming out. Probably wouldn’t expect to see him in the first MP4 trailer, that said.
Be prepared to see Ridley in Metroid Prime 4. Not necessarily at E3, though.

If Ridley were playable, he'd be Roidley or the Proteus Ridley.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I meant that if they show Metroid prime 4 at e3 and then don't show Ridley in smash that he is probably not in because that would be when they would show his smash trailer.

StormC

Smash Hero
Anyway, to add on to what you said, Nintendo generally reveals it's biggest characters early on. Brawl got Meta Knight, Wario, and Snake, and SSB4 got Villager, Mega Man, and Rosalina.
I wouldn't call Villager and Rosalina the biggest reveals for Smash 4. Little Mac and Pac-Man were as big if not bigger than those. And Brawl waited a while to announce Dedede and Sonic.

Top Bottom