• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I mean, last time the thread ended close to 2,000 pages, right? That's a ridiculously high bar, especially with a shorter hype cycle.
I just remember the thread being bloated with nonsense and basically large scale flame wars. It was large for probably the wrong reasons.

Zeox

Smash Champion
The only info that we have of this game is that is being made, so we can't make stupid crazy theories with the look of the stages or other things.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The only info that we have of this game is that is being made, so we can't make stupid crazy theories with the look of the stages or other things.
To be fair, some of us went deeper than that. I remember being convinced I saw Ridley in a mystery character slot on a promotional pamphlet that turned out to be a crinkle in the page. Some of the more desperate of us legitimately believed it. Frankly I'm just glad no one "spotted" Ridley in the shadows during the trailer.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I just remember the thread being bloated with nonsense and basically large scale flame wars. It was large for probably the wrong reasons.
Yeah, that was definitely a dark time for the Ridley movement, and Metroid in general. Hopefully everyone learned a lesson from that experience, if nothing else.

But how big was the Ridley thread back during the Brawl days? Was it active as well?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Yeah, that was definitely a dark time for the Ridley movement, and Metroid in general. Hopefully everyone learned a lesson from that experience, if nothing else.

But how big was the Ridley thread back during the Brawl days? Was it active as well?
It was dark but at the same time it was fun. I don't miss the flame wars, but it felt like new stuff was always happening. Even if it was ridiculous it was fun to speculate and theorize (although it probably caused more anxiety than anything else). It was quite a mess and I wouldn't want to repeat it but I will always have fond memories of that thread

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
To be fair, the new game was only announced just this month + we have much less time before the game comes out from the last few times. Even if the thread was more active we still wouldn't get too big before any confirmation good or bad.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
This is the perfect example of why he is ok to shrink. I dare say, even make him slightly bigger (crazy I know) from your example and he would be the perfect size.
I chose that size based off my moveset idea of Ridley having Ground Mode and Flight Mode. Figured if it wasn't perfect, it would be close enough.
upload_2018-3-27_20-1-1.png

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I chose that size based off my moveset idea of Ridley having Ground Mode and Flight Mode. Figured if it wasn't perfect, it would be close enough.
View attachment 139769
So glad that we have a good modern version of Ridley this time. Super Metroid Ridley will always be my favorite, but this version is so much better than Roidley.

Edit: That size comparison is awesome too! Seems very feasible.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I always kind of thought the biggest struggle for Ridley was more his long and lanky design more so then his size which much like most Nintendo characters seems to vary drastically.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So glad that we have a good modern version of Ridley this time. Super Metroid Ridley will always be my favorite, but this version is so much better than Roidley.

Edit: That size comparison is awesome too! Seems very feasible.
Zero Mission and Meta Ridley were my personal favorite designs, but I have to admit the horseleg/chickenleg look in SR works out well for Ridley. Probably helps that his boss fight was a true 2.5D Metroid fight.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Zero Mission and Meta Ridley were my personal favorite designs, but I have to admit the horseleg/chickenleg look in SR works out well for Ridley. Probably helps that his boss fight was a true 2.5D Metroid fight.
Those ones were awesome too. I honestly loved every Ridley design except Roidley and the phazon version (forgot what it was called). After Super Metroid Ridley I would want to see meta Ridley get in. Samus Returns isn't my favorite, but if we get that design in this game instead of Roidley in smash 4 I'd consider it a pretty good trade off. I'm happy to wait for a better version of him.

What would be a good final smash for Ridley? I really can't think of anything specific.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
What would be a good final smash for Ridley? I really can't think of anything specific.
It'd probably be a super-mega-ultra fireball attack, but I had an idea for a more special Final Smash, though it'd probably be out of character.

A number of Space Pirate ships touch down on the stage, attacking other fighters, bringing items, and in general causing mayhem and assisting their captain.

Morbi

Scavenger
Those ones were awesome too. I honestly loved every Ridley design except Roidley and the phazon version (forgot what it was called). After Super Metroid Ridley I would want to see meta Ridley get in. Samus Returns isn't my favorite, but if we get that design in this game instead of Roidley in smash 4 I'd consider it a pretty good trade off. I'm happy to wait for a better version of him.

I want it to be a cut-scene one similar to Captain Falcon where he just grabs you and scrapes you against every wall known to man.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It'd probably be a super-mega-ultra fireball attack, but I had an idea for a more special Final Smash, though it'd probably be out of character.

A number of Space Pirate ships touch down on the stage, attacking other fighters, bringing items, and in general causing mayhem and assisting their captain.
That space pirate raid is a great idea! I like how it highlights his role as a commander more so than just being a big monster.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Brawl speculation was split up evenly on two different websites, Smashboards and Brawl Central, and the latter website ceased to exist many years ago, so it's hard to compare. I'm not too sure about here on Smashboards, but I think the thread got closed some time before release, probably because of drama. Brawl Central was where I did my speculation and his fanbase was very prominent, but I can't remember how big his thread got given how many years have passed, I just remember him being one of the frontrunners from very early on (Sonic, Dedede, Diddy Kong and Geno were the only ones who were more popular iirc).

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
I honestly loved every Ridley design except Roidley and the phazon version (forgot what it was called).
You mean Omega Ridley?

About his Final Smash, for awhile I thought it would be something similar to Yoshi's/Charizard's where he would fly around and spit explosive fireballs, but the sound of him grabbing someone and flying off-screen to drag them across a wall someplace seems like a fun idea.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I used a combination of some Youtube videos showing Samus Returns' final boss and the Imgur video to gif converter. Nothing special.
Ah, okay. Forgot that was a thing with imgur. I remember when gif's from videos were harder to make before you had stuff like that.

Yeah, it was very active during the Brawl speculation days as well, but was even crazier with some fans and arguments than the SSB4 era, which I'm not too fond of remembering.

Yep. Speaking of Zero Mission though...

Good ****. While I didn't care much for the sprite, brown Ridley always made an impact during the short cutscenes he had.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Official artwork of his most recent appearance is probably my favorite iteration of this character:

He keeps his knife tail from Other M, and clearly integrates his Super Metroid (overall skin color, wing color and hands) and Metroid Prime (mechanical armor and yellow/gray color scheme) designs as well, keeping most of the popular elements from every version of this character. If the in-game model were better this would probably be the best consensus restoration of this character, and given Prime 4 is likely right before this game in Canon it's possible we see a design super similar to this one for that game. Meta Ridley is arguably his best boss fight, but the design doesn't have him use his tail for much other than balance. This design allows for the tail usage of other M and Super metroid's Ridley without the poor head design/outdated sprite of each respected design.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You mean Omega Ridley?

About his Final Smash, for awhile I thought it would be something similar to Yoshi's/Charizard's where he would fly around and spit explosive fireballs, but the sound of him grabbing someone and flying off-screen to drag them across a wall someplace seems like a fun idea.
l
Yeah, Omega Ridley. That's what it was called. That one was a little too stout for me. I like my space dragons thin and lanky. I'd love the wall scraping idea as long as it doesn't have to involve the other m scene where he did that. Unless that means we get an Anthony meme. Imagine we see him scraping his opponent along the wall while Anthony shouts "Don't you know how to treat a lady!?" Even when It's Gannon or Bowser.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Ridley's Final Smash would involve turning everyone into scared baby versions of themselves for easy KO's

Think of the cameos! Baby Mario! Baby Peach! Baby Bowser Jr.! Baby Mr. Game & Watch!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Honestly, I think Ridley's Final Smash should be kept simple but iconic. Have him fly upwards out of the screen for a moment, have the player aim a crosshair, then Ridley flies from behind the stage into the crosshair, hitting anybody in his way, then lands back on the stage. Pretty much imagine this.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Ridley's Final Smash would involve turning everyone into scared baby versions of themselves for easy KO's

Think of the cameos! Baby Mario! Baby Peach! Baby Bowser Jr.! Baby Mr. Game & Watch!
Can't wait for baby ganondorf and baby Bayonetta:) For real though what if it was some kind of mechanic where all the enemies get stunned like some kind of intimidation move? That wouldn't really be from Metroid though I guess. Maybe a transformation into meta Ridley?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I know it is kind of sacrilege to mention Other M (I honestly thought it wasn't that bad), but Roidly did have some attacks that could be used as the Final Smash. The most obvious one, aside from the wall drag that some other people have mentioned, is his large fireball explosion that takes up a large part of the arena. So that could work. The other one is the sort of Super Armour mode that he has. Ridley could get some temporary Super Armour and have all his attacks sped up for a brief period of time, which could demonstrate how ferocious he is?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I want it to be a cut-scene one similar to Captain Falcon where he just grabs you and scrapes you against every wall known to man.
That looked super painful in SSE and the victim was Samus, who is using an armor.

Imagining Ridley doing that to someone like Peach or Pikachu is kinda brutal XD

But... Ridley is brutal, so I guess it's a possibility.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
With the cartoony violence of Smash, they should walk off any wall scrapes and such. Interesting point nonetheless though. :p

Danpal65

Smash Lord
With the cartoony violence of Smash, they should walk off any wall scrapes and such. Interesting point nonetheless though. :p
That could actually be a kind of interesting mechanic. Most characters' Final Smashes are meant to act as some sort of kill move, so what if Ridley's was one that just did a heap of damage to the opponent to set up a kill instead? Like make it so it does a set 50-60% or something? That way you can do the Final Smash and then use it to combo into a kill?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Going off the wall scrape idea. What if the final smash was Ridley grabs the opponent and then you get control of him with free flying as he carries the opponent and scrapes them across any surface you direct him toward for damage, then ends by throwing them for the kill?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
That looked super painful in SSE and the victim was Samus, who is using an armor.

Imagining Ridley doing that to someone like Peach or Pikachu is kinda brutal XD

But... Ridley is brutal, so I guess it's a possibility.
3.png

"*Sigh*, How about instead of looking at that action as some kind of brutal move against little yellow pests, why don't we take it as an easier and faster way to paint walls? Sometimes the room I get to be in needs of a decorative change!"

:p

KingBroly

Smash Lord
How big is proteus Ridley anyway

By what I'm seeing that Ridley seems a Smidge smash to me for some reason
I'd say...5x as big at least. You gotta consider that he flies, and when he's on the ground he's hunched over, kinda like an attack dog. Then you gotta consider his wings and tail.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Season 1 was a little disappointing but the rest sounds promising. Shame there's no Mercenary Tao or King Piccolo.

Also Prime 4 source? What's that?
I'm guessing the source was the person who stated that Metroid Prime 4 was being developed by Bandai Namco might be the same source that said that Ridley is playable in Super Smash Bros. Switch.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm guessing the source was the person who stated that Metroid Prime 4 was being developed by Bandai Namco might be the same source that said that Ridley is playable in Super Smash Bros. Switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I hope it's not the same source as his Jojo fighting game rumor that turned out to be BS.

I'm also surprised he only mentioned Ridley and no one else, like say, Snake, Ice Climbers or any 3rd party character

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I hope it's not the same source as his Jojo fighting game rumor that turned out to be BS.

I'm also surprised he only mentioned Ridley and no one else, like say, Snake, Ice Climbers or any 3rd party character
I don't think it is the same source. It was said that his source for JoJo was lying to him to "teach him a lesson" and "to help him improve". DasVergeben has severed ties with that source. I think if it was the same source, he'd post an update about Ridley, and the source lying to him. He has said that the source regarding Metroid Prime 4 is the same for Ridley and is "very reliable". That's not to say we should dive in head first and believe this leak, considering what has happened before (Tower of Smash). We just need to be careful, and hope for the best.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For what it's worth Vergeben's Dragon Ball FighterZ DLC leak has more or less been confirmed now via datamining.

Of course it's not worth it to get carried away, it sounds like it comes from another source than his Prime 4/Ridley source, but I thought it was worth pointing out in here.
More credibility is always good, but it's still not anything that directly suggests he's correct about Ridley.

As always, I'll keep this in the back of my head and move on. I'm not going to allow myself to become too invested in this rumor just to find out I was baited into more false hope.

Top Bottom