• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's still so crazy to me that Ridley actually finally made it in. Occasionally I'll get all hyped up again just seeing him on the roster or hearing the announcer say his name. I'm always turning to my fiancee and going "I still can't believe we got Ridley in this game!" I don't think it will ever stop being surreal.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Felt it was worth bringing to attention after seeing someone post about it on the discord (the labbing section), but this is a potentially significant find. If you catch someone's jump off stage with f-air, it sets up into a fairly easy footstool. Seems to work more easily catching the jump low though.

https://streamable.com/7gzt7

Yet another way for Ridley to gimp his opponent off-stage in addition to the other good options? :ohwell:

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Felt it was worth bringing to attention after seeing someone post about it on the discord (the labbing section), but this is a potentially significant find. If you catch someone's jump off stage with f-air, it sets up into a fairly easy footstool. Seems to work more easily catching the jump low though.

https://streamable.com/7gzt7

Yet another way for Ridley to gimp his opponent off-stage in addition to the other good options? :ohwell:
Hmmm I never thought of doing that. One potential concern I have is that if you miss, I’m not sure if you’d get back to the stage. I may try this today, but I'm a bit hesitant on it over other options. It may end up being really hard to line up during a match where your opponent may up air, up b, DI forward or away or up or down. I almost wonder if I'd probably just find it easier, safer, and more effective to go for a second falling fair or nair, then jump, side b, and wing blitz back to the stage. That, or grab the ledge, refresh my jumps, and go for a bair.

One other thing though that I just started doing a lot, is off stage down airs. They are so much easier and more accessible as part of Ridleys ledge guarding options with the up b range buff, and I didn't even consider it an option until yesterday. I was getting some insane kills with it.

Pre 4.0 you could:
Full hop down air, double jump, wing blitz.

That was all. There was no room for error. I never even bothered with it.

Now, you can:
Full hop, down air, jump, up b (with a jump left over)
Short hop, down air, jump, jump, up b
Full hop, jump, down air, jump, up b

The flexibility it now offers is tremendously improved. With the extra jump you can do before committing to the down air, you can go further off-stage, or go higher into the air before committing to it. It gives you a huge window of timing to line it up and wait for your opponent to be in the right spot.

It's even more effective on maps with platforms near the ledges, so you can start from up there and have even more coverage if they try to go high.

I'm starting to love Ridley's down air now tbh. I was playing against a friend of mine who mains Bowser, but I imagine it'd be very useful at catching a lot of recoveries that have non-instant travel times.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Whoa, nice. Yeah, I was used to the whole fullhop d-air before 4.0, but didn’t & should’ve realized he would have all those other means of getting back to stage from it now. Can even shorthop d-air and recover? That makes it so much more accessible.

While still pretty much the worst move in his kit, I find the d-air hate to be pretty overrated now tbh. I mean sure, downward wing blitz is still often a better alternative, especially after the wing blitz buff, but d-air can still have its uses too. Am not too greedy for buffs now after 4.0, but if Ridley was to ever get anymore, I would mainly just ask for either making the d-air spike/sweetspot easier to land like they did with u-air, or just give it less end lag. There’s other divekick d-air’s that have less end lag than Ridley’s, so it’d be reasonable. But for off-stage use, it’s already as good as can be now, considering.

But yeah, I’ll keep an eye on the off-stage footstool option during future practice.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
People keep mentioning downward wingblitz. Is this some kind of off stage option? Wouldn't it just lead to an sd?
You angle it down towards the ledge and then release the analog stick so you grab it. When timed properly it can spike your opponent. It’s also a good mixup for recovering high occasionally

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's essentially a better down air than down air is in almost every meaningful way. You can use as a suicide/taking them down with me spike, and there is also certain recoveries you can trade with (you spike them, then get hit/are able to still recover). Top all this with Ridley's enormous magnet hands + ability to hold down to go through semi soft platforms, and it's a scary option now that it is much faster

-

Side note, someone is going around leaving this on every set up at Shine 2019.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, so much for the theory of him being OP for the mode. As it is, I find moving the sandbag forward a little with like f-tilt, followed by charged plasma breath spam until the time comes for you to strike the bat to be the best damage rackup option with the time given, on first impression anyway. Maybe if you do quick enough damage with u-tilt/u-smash, getting some u-air's off the sandbag for decent damage may also be an option, though that might be reaching. RAR b-air can be a little trickier to do at first with the limited space given, but it's still a heavy hitter move on the sandbag.

Still good to see this mode back and better than ever, regardless. Now I'm content enough far as the amount of modes present with Ultimate, though if they add anymore in any future updates I won't complain. Even adding some more touches/options to the stage builder would still be welcomed, though I think things are mostly fine enough now as is.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The SNES app for Switch is out now by the way. Going through Super Metroid's prologue on there was a nice quick nostalgia trip, and the game on this platform is a great way for anyone who hasn't played SM or any titles in the series yet to experience Metroid and Ridley first-hand.
Predatoria Predatoria Dew ittt!!

Now I'm just waiting for the presumed eventual DKC additions... Compared to the NES catalog, this is actually hype.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
The SNES app for Switch is out now by the way. Going through Super Metroid's prologue on there was a nice quick nostalgia trip, and the game on this platform is a great way for anyone who hasn't played SM or any titles in the series yet to experience Metroid and Ridley first-hand.
Predatoria Predatoria Dew ittt!!

Now I'm just waiting for the presumed eventual DKC additions... Compared to the NES catalog, this is actually hype.
I think this is quite an excellent idea! I didn't know this.

Also, I made Ridley VERY proud today online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1MUNG3Qk28&feature=youtu.be

To Samus! The best part is it was to Samus, I am very happy with this one.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You guys remember how Sakurai said he used NES Ridley as a template for Ultimate Ridley? I wonder if any supporters thought if that back in the day.
Some supporters thought that having Ridley at his NES proportions would work well. Detractors usually pointed out that he was much larger in every other game, though, so it wasn't a point that came up often.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Or just said that Zero Mission as a remake retconned the original NES game anyway, which I thought was a fair enough argument even though I didn't like how ZM Ridley as a boss was designed (compared to Super Metroid and such) where size was kind of his main gimmick for awhile. Blame the GBA limitations I guess, between that and Ridley-X in Fusion.

Anyway, Banjo's another decent matchup for Ridley imo. Just capitalize on punishing his Wonderwing, whether it be with Ridley's own side B which can still grab Banjo right after his starting animation of his, or with a correctly anticipated skewer. Wonderwing's also pretty unsafe on shield, which Ridley or anyone can use to their advantage. Banjo himself is a fun character too though who I'm glad I got, and further appreciated some of the move similarities he has to Ridley with Kazooie once I tried him out.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Could this be seen as a potential example of how Ridley would take on things bigger than him?

((This is gonna be long'ish))

The first segment of this video demonstrates exactly how I would expect a highly intelligent, fragile creature (such as a dragon, wyvern, or Ridley himself) not to behave. It sensed a threat from a point of safety and a point of being potentially hidden. It had an opportunity here to hide. It did not. Rather than remain on its perch and potentially avoid detection, the wyvern roared at it, giving away both its position and its intentions as an adversary and aggressor.

The wyvern then engages what appears to be a much larger tyrannosaurus'like creature in direct combat. It's using its claws and jaw, which seem unequipped to confront the tyrannosaurus head-on. The front is also the place where the tyrannosaurus is most capable of defending itself against. This is well-demonstrated, as not far into the engagement, the wyvern is immediately grabbed and thrashed by its neck as punishment for such a reckless attack on the worst possible angle to approach this adversary. Had the creature not approached the scenario so recklessly, it would not have been in such a position to be, quite literally, grabbed by its neck and thrashed around like a dog's chew toy. That would have immediately killed such a fragile creature. After all, dragons or wyverns, if one were to make an argument for their existence, would likely have a physiology that would be put under tremendous stress in such a scene. Ripped wings, broken phalanges (finger bones, basically wing bones), and a broken neck would likely occur from this totally avoidable scenario for the wyvern.

I would, honestly, assume the creature to be dead at this point, though it was not due to story progression in the clip, after all, we had to have the rock smashed to reveal the hiding woman so it somehow survives.

At around 1:40, the wyvern appears to possess some sort of acoustic attack. It is ultimately able to inflict a potentially heavy blow with this attack, but the tyrannosaurus has not been wounded to the point where it's unable to stand up. The video cuts out here with the wyvern on the ground standing against the tyrannosaurus, putting itself again at tremendous risk and removing its gift of flight from the equation for no reason other than to roar and look intimidating. I imagine if the clip continued and logical battle were to follow, the wyvern would be, again, grabbed, thrashed, and killed.

I have many questions, and given Ridley is such an intelligent, sapient villain, I would suspect he would have many as well such as:

Why should I reveal my place of hiding?

Why should I reveal my intentions as an aggressor?

Why should I fight this creature in the first place?

Should I want to engage this creature, why shouldn't I hover well out of range of any of its attacks and use my acoustic attack on it repeatedly until it is in a weak enough state such that it poses me no threat?

Should I fight it at all, or stalk it, waiting for a more opportune moment?

Should my acoustical attack be ultimately ineffective, how should I approach such a creature? Clearly I want to avoid its big, toothy, pointy mouth of doom.

The wyvern has every point to make a decision here to keep itself alive, and it was reckless. I don't picture Ridley being this reckless (well, unless he's serving as a boss for Samus and needs to die in a battle area for gameplay's sake).

Bah, why are Dragons and Wyverns always so stupid? They could do whatevery they want, but in every game they choose to just die totally avoidable deaths without any practice of tactic in their approach to a scene. In so many games they can talk, they can think, reason, plan, ponder, and can sometimes even form societies, yet as soon as a battle breaks out it's "raaaaaaaaaawr rawr let's go face tank everything and die, totally ignoring my superior mobility, ability to fly, and ability to hit with ranged attacks such as fire breath"

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
((This is gonna be long'ish))

The first segment of this video demonstrates exactly how I would expect a highly intelligent, fragile creature (such as a dragon, wyvern, or Ridley himself) not to behave. It sensed a threat from a point of safety and a point of being potentially hidden. It had an opportunity here to hide. It did not. Rather than remain on its perch and potentially avoid detection, the wyvern roared at it, giving away both its position and its intentions as an adversary and aggressor.

The wyvern then engages what appears to be a much larger tyrannosaurus'like creature in direct combat. It's using its claws and jaw, which seem unequipped to confront the tyrannosaurus head-on. The front is also the place where the tyrannosaurus is most capable of defending itself against. This is well-demonstrated, as not far into the engagement, the wyvern is immediately grabbed and thrashed by its neck as punishment for such a reckless attack on the worst possible angle to approach this adversary. Had the creature not approached the scenario so recklessly, it would not have been in such a position to be, quite literally, grabbed by its neck and thrashed around like a dog's chew toy. That would have immediately killed such a fragile creature. After all, dragons or wyverns, if one were to make an argument for their existence, would likely have a physiology that would be put under tremendous stress in such a scene. Ripped wings, broken phalanges (finger bones, basically wing bones), and a broken neck would likely occur from this totally avoidable scenario for the wyvern.

I would, honestly, assume the creature to be dead at this point, though it was not due to story progression in the clip, after all, we had to have the rock smashed to reveal the hiding woman so it somehow survives.

At around 1:40, the wyvern appears to possess some sort of acoustic attack. It is ultimately able to inflict a potentially heavy blow with this attack, but the tyrannosaurus has not been wounded to the point where it's unable to stand up. The video cuts out here with the wyvern on the ground standing against the tyrannosaurus, putting itself again at tremendous risk and removing its gift of flight from the equation for no reason other than to roar and look intimidating. I imagine if the clip continued and logical battle were to follow, the wyvern would be, again, grabbed, thrashed, and killed.

I have many questions, and given Ridley is such an intelligent, sapient villain, I would suspect he would have many as well such as:

Why should I reveal my place of hiding?

Why should I reveal my intentions as an aggressor?

Why should I fight this creature in the first place?

Should I want to engage this creature, why shouldn't I hover well out of range of any of its attacks and use my acoustic attack on it repeatedly until it is in a weak enough state such that it poses me no threat?

Should I fight it at all, or stalk it, waiting for a more opportune moment?

Should my acoustical attack be ultimately ineffective, how should I approach such a creature? Clearly I want to avoid its big, toothy, pointy mouth of doom.

The wyvern has every point to make a decision here to keep itself alive, and it was reckless. I don't picture Ridley being this reckless (well, unless he's serving as a boss for Samus and needs to die in a battle area for gameplay's sake).

Bah, why are Dragons and Wyverns always so stupid? They could do whatevery they want, but in every game they choose to just die totally avoidable deaths without any practice of tactic in their approach to a scene. In so many games they can talk, they can think, reason, plan, ponder, and can sometimes even form societies, yet as soon as a battle breaks out it's "raaaaaaaaaawr rawr let's go face tank everything and die, totally ignoring my superior mobility, ability to fly, and ability to hit with ranged attacks such as fire breath"
Yes, well, the human logically should have even less of a chance of surviving, but this is Monster Hunter and as such is very capable of killing them both.

Yian Garugas (our Ridley-like Bird Wyvern) are extremely competitive and love to challenge almost anything they meet to a fight. Their tails are laced with poison and they're smart, or at least quick-witted enough to avoid pitfall traps and actively take advantage of the disruption caused by their sonic roar instead of just using it for intimidation like most other monsters do. Ultimately they're all still just animals that can't formulate truly complex plans, but Garuga is both tough and clever enough to outdo it's cousin the Yian Kut-Ku, who according to you would be more sensible in survival, as the former survives in this new ecosystem while the latter is nowhere to be found. Turns out fostering a reputation for being extremely belligerent can be an effective deterrent. Works on the players, anyway.

Yes, it's true that Garugas can fly and have fire breath, but they also have poor stamina, which when coupled with those wings being relatively small likely means it would not be able to keep up a bombardment strategy for long.

I honestly think Ridley's sadism would drive him to do similar things to this Garuga in the name of instilling fear in his quarry. Not to mention Space Pirate philosophy demanding you either destroy your enemies or die trying, with cowardice being punished with the same fate.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Being armed with this knowledge could definitely help Ridley’s against tether characters in the future... Take that Samus

edit: Seems some of that isn’t actually true and it’s based mostly on % and time in the air. Figures.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Yes, well, the human logically should have even less of a chance of surviving, but this is Monster Hunter and as such is very capable of killing them both.

Yian Garugas (our Ridley-like Bird Wyvern) are extremely competitive and love to challenge almost anything they meet to a fight. Their tails are laced with poison and they're smart, or at least quick-witted enough to avoid pitfall traps and actively take advantage of the disruption caused by their sonic roar instead of just using it for intimidation like most other monsters do. Ultimately they're all still just animals that can't formulate truly complex plans, but Garuga is both tough and clever enough to outdo it's cousin the Yian Kut-Ku, who according to you would be more sensible in survival, as the former survives in this new ecosystem while the latter is nowhere to be found. Turns out fostering a reputation for being extremely belligerent can be an effective deterrent. Works on the players, anyway.

Yes, it's true that Garugas can fly and have fire breath, but they also have poor stamina, which when coupled with those wings being relatively small likely means it would not be able to keep up a bombardment strategy for long.

I honestly think Ridley's sadism would drive him to do similar things to this Garuga in the name of instilling fear in his quarry. Not to mention Space Pirate philosophy demanding you either destroy your enemies or die trying, with cowardice being punished with the same fate.
Hmmmm, It is quite interesting to hear a bit of the lore behind this, as I haven't ever really played this game and know very little about it.

I suppose I would've just personally gone with more of a cautious approach. An approach such as stalk its target, swooping in from behind to get some tail hits on its backside, flank, or tail to poison its prey from a relatively safe angle rather than confront it head-on. When exhausted, back off, hide in the trees or out of reach, rest up, come back again, and whittle down your prey with a mix of fire breath, sonic roars, and poison swings from a vantage of safety. To me, that would represent an intellect that would parallel (or exceed) that of a human, and would be indicative of a truly sapient, intelligent creature.

I'd think the job being done (kill the other creature) with caution and efficacy would be better than a dead space pirate, and wouldn't really consider an effective tactic to be an act of cowardice so long as the end goal was achieved in a reasonably timely manner.

I'm still not too familiar with a lot of the Metroid games, as I picked Ridley up because I liked him in Smash, and didn't know of his existence prior to unlocking him when I got Smash Ultimate and started playing it. (I meant to buy the SNES one on the Switch last weekend, but have, unfortunately, spent all weekend trying to combat a sudden, rampant wave of cheating that has been happening on the game I have published).

How smart do you think Ridley is, canonically? Are his tactics in battle more indicative of a beast-like cunning, or more like that of a sapient creature.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hmmmm, It is quite interesting to hear a bit of the lore behind this, as I haven't ever really played this game and know very little about it.

I suppose I would've just personally gone with more of a cautious approach. An approach such as stalk its target, swooping in from behind to get some tail hits on its backside, flank, or tail to poison its prey from a relatively safe angle rather than confront it head-on. When exhausted, back off, hide in the trees or out of reach, rest up, come back again, and whittle down your prey with a mix of fire breath, sonic roars, and poison swings from a vantage of safety. To me, that would represent an intellect that would parallel (or exceed) that of a human, and would be indicative of a truly sapient, intelligent creature.

I'd think the job being done (kill the other creature) with caution and efficacy would be better than a dead space pirate, and wouldn't really consider an effective tactic to be an act of cowardice so long as the end goal was achieved in a reasonably timely manner.

I'm still not too familiar with a lot of the Metroid games, as I picked Ridley up because I liked him in Smash, and didn't know of his existence prior to unlocking him when I got Smash Ultimate and started playing it. (I meant to buy the SNES one on the Switch last weekend, but have, unfortunately, spent all weekend trying to combat a sudden, rampant wave of cheating that has been happening on the game I have published).

How smart do you think Ridley is, canonically? Are his tactics in battle more indicative of a beast-like cunning, or more like that of a sapient creature.
Oh Ridley is plenty as smart as a human, as we see from his verbose manga self and his smirking here. If he seems to act like a beast in combat, it's usually just because he's so strong he doesn't need complex strategies to destroy his enemies. When he doesn't have that or it just won't cut it, he's perfectly capable of guile and trickery, in Prime he lets Samus do the dirty work of finding the artifacts, and pretty much everything baby Ridley does in Other M.

Samus in general probably incenses him to the point of throwing at least some reasoning to the curb, but his sadism could actually be a point of saying sometimes he's actually too smart for his own good, where a lower beast wouldn't be distracted by such urges.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Considering Ultimate has run with the purple flames used by Proteus Ridley in Samus Returns alongside the traditional orange, does anyone think they'll be used more in future Metroid titles? Even if they don't necessarily come from his mouth?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Most of the 3D fights have their own similar effect (Meta Ridley in Prime 1 gets covered in yellow flames when it stomps, Omega obviously has phazon, etc.).

I wonder if they'll ever make the effect for Skewer happen for critical hits in the future, similar to how Ridley's command grabs in Metroid usually trigger a cutscene.

Abe 'n Munchie

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7902 4638 1107
Hey everyone! Great meeting you all so far!

Just making the rounds through some of the character channels is was really interested in learning! Ridley was one of the main ones I was looking to study and join in with the discussions, so here goes! :ultridley:
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help and support the channel as well! Have fun! :seuss:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Hey everyone! Great meeting you all so far!

Just making the rounds through some of the character channels is was really interested in learning! Ridley was one of the main ones I was looking to study and join in with the discussions, so here goes! :ultridley:
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help and support the channel as well! Have fun! :seuss:
Ahh well welcome to the forums!

I will mention that most people congregate to discuss character-specific topics in the character discords, and most the character-specific channels don't see a lot of chatting.

I do wish more people visited the character forums more frequently, as I prefer forums over the ever-scrolling Discord chat where things get lost more easily. As for helping the forums and the channel, the best thing to do is honestly just post. Videos, screenshots, replies to other people, anything really, helps.

https://discordapp.com/invite/3UJwxAh

This is where you'll be able to find Ridley-specific guides, information, sets, streams, and people to talk to. The Discord seems quite active and friendly. I usually check labbing chat, meta-game, and mission analysis.

I'll say a few things I like about playing Ridley, as he's a lot of fun to play and I play him the majority of the time.

He has very large, hard-hitting, grandiose moves that certainly are fun. The range he has on many of his moves goes further than most swordie moves do.

Ridley is actually quite capable of stringing combos together, despite being one of the largest, hardest hitting characters in the game. It's certainly fun to string several moves together while playing a character this large.

I enjoy his off-stage options a lot. He has an additional jump, and his up B wing blitz move goes so far, you can way over-extend past the stage to chase down opponents. He also has very strong aerials.

I like his projectile option, Plasma Breath. He's definitely not a zoner, but having this option is quite useful and helpful in many situations.

He has good taunts.

I like his command grab. It's fun to stage-dunk people who chase you off-stage, or to grab unwary people who get too close.

Last edited:

Abe 'n Munchie

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7902 4638 1107
Ahh well welcome to the forums!

I will mention that most people congregate to discuss character-specific topics in the character discords, and most the character-specific channels don't see a lot of chatting.

I do wish more people visited the character forums more frequently, as I prefer forums over the ever-scrolling Discord chat where things get lost more easily. As for helping the forums and the channel, the best thing to do is honestly just post. Videos, screenshots, replies to other people, anything really, helps.

https://discordapp.com/invite/3UJwxAh

This is where you'll be able to find Ridley-specific guides, information, sets, streams, and people to talk to. The Discord seems quite active and friendly. I usually check labbing chat, meta-game, and mission analysis.

I'll say a few things I like about playing Ridley, as he's a lot of fun to play and I play him the majority of the time.

He has very large, hard-hitting, grandiose moves that certainly are fun. The range he has on many of his moves goes further than most swordie moves do.

Ridley is actually quite capable of stringing combos together, despite being one of the largest, hardest hitting characters in the game. It's certainly fun to string several moves together while playing a character this large.

I enjoy his off-stage options a lot. He has an additional jump, and his up B wing blitz move goes so far, you can way over-extend past the stage to chase down opponents. He also has very strong aerials.

I like his projectile option, Plasma Breath. He's definitely not a zoner, but having this option is quite useful and helpful in many situations.

He has good taunts.

I like his command grab. It's fun to stage-dunk people who chase you off-stage, or to grab unwary people who get too close.
Thanks a ton for the welcome! Very much appreciated!

Yeah.. I've noticed things have been relatively quiet on the Character threads, which is a real shame since I find the slower pace of forums much more enjoyable to read through as well.. Ah shucks! Thanks for the Invite and I'm sure I'll enjoy it there as well regardless! I'd really like to learn Ridley and this seems like a great resource for me!

I'll definitely do whatever I can to help then! Maybe start recording some replays and screenshots to start with? Get to know everyone for sure.

Gotta agree with a lot of those points and his command grab is very satifying for sure! Perfectly matches him as a character, dragging Samus around the stages of Metriod games. I've also found his projectiles super powerful when guarding the ledge, Characters with bad recoveries like Chrom really suffer from the fire balls! His aerial game really is incredible to use so far, with all the moves seemingly working really well! Especially like the Neutral Air when fighting on the stage!

Plus that standing up taunt with the sly tongue slide, is just perfection!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I usually don't pay attention to stuff like this, but a Youtuber I follow recommended this movie pitch.
I'm also a fan of the Ridley design, though I feel the voice could use some more filters.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, saw about that earlier which was pretty cool, though should've thought to post it here too I guess.

So, it was kinda already established at some point that using Ridley's down taunt shortens his horizontal hitbox during the animation, and as such, can avoid some characters' ledge getup attacks during it, but only recently when some started fooling around with it more, did it become realized that down taunt can dodge some regular getup attacks as well, like after landing a successful Skewer on someone and they do a getup. It's just amusing how much it confuses some who've never had a Ridley taunt them like that in the middle of a serious match in arena (since you can't taunt in quickplay) and then get bodied with a followup attack when they don't react with a proper attack of their own. It's not really a new meta, so much as it is a way of getting extra styling points on your opponent, but still, our beloved meme dragon just got even more meme-y, and in a good way.

List of whose getup attacks Ridley can and can't avoid with down taunt... ZSS is one of the few!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yzJW--eDwnuKt31chEtlonovsrhs4BSWv-xNasc1m30/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Seeing such comebacks as Ridley gives me life, though there's none quite like that one. Only other one I can think of that comes close is this from earlier on.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

After seeing the one with SDX and Mewtwo, glad to see this was made.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Threw this together, I'd like to see a proper story mode with the Big 3 spearheading the antagonist faction in a Smash game in the future.
big3.png

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There’s a bit too many antagonists now for there to just be a “big 3” like in Melee, Brawl, and such, even if some can be delegated to antihero or something less than a big bad. K. Rool would still be the latter at least, though like the image still.

Top Bottom