• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I love this changes. not gonna solve ridley's weakness (slightly less punishable up air is always a plus though) but I feel that Ridley is a little like a high risk high reward character.. and this changes help with his rewards.

Are you guys using his up b outside of recovery now? at least now recovering horizontal with up smash seems like a viable option. .

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Are you guys using his up b outside of recovery now? at least now recovering horizontal with up smash seems like a viable option. .
My new past time for the last 24 hour has basically be spiking The Hero with Up Special angled downward. It is really fun. :p

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Oh god I don't know how Blender 2.8 works.
Anyway, did some model comparisons with Omley and Ultimately. It's interesting just how short and stocky the boss version is.
1564635129512.png

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Still love Ridley! Baggage and all! Every special leaves him wide open and he's got a big body to get slapped around constantly. I play semi competitively but don't have time for local tournaments. If he gets buffed great but if not I'll live and still play him like he's the only character available.
You will take your buffs and you will like them!

So I guess for late thoughts on them here...

Up Smash's increased active frames make Ridley's ledgetrapping and anti-airing even more deadly than it already was, along with him being able to hit everyone minus the shorties with u-smash from in front now.

Up B's increased speed in both startup and delivery helps him not only get back to ledge/stage faster and the downward version for spiking more viable, but it's harder for opponents to react to now, so using it to tech chase or even just as a read option offensively on stage is much more viable. In addition, it won't be as easy for opponents to edgeguard you during it, because with the increased speed, they won't have as much time to react and get in position to set up a counter/edgeguard against it, like they could before with the old up B. The distance buff with the move also makes you able to recover from much lower below the ledge now, I noticed. So much more recovery freedom was gained as a whiole, making it the MVP of the buffs. Even Ridley's air speed doesn't feel as consequential anymore, with Wing Blitz actually living up to its name now.

Side-B and back air have always been teammates, with how they work with one another as far as mindgames and such, and them both gaining increased kill power further strengthens their teamwork within Rid's moveset, making it easier to push opponents in the corner and such.

Up and down aerial now function like they should have in the first place, with the sweetspot of u-air no longer being microscopic (yay kill confirm with u-tilt > u-air), and no more constant whiffing BS with d-air, making it somewhat useable on stage now or to get out of disadvantage state. Not guaranteed of course, but it's more possible at least to use d-air for that purpose now.

There's not really much in particular I could think to ask of for buffs now after this, apart from maybe making d-air's sweetspot bigger and easier to land with like they did with the u-air buff and giving Ridley a bit more weight. Am content af now knowing he won't struggle to the extent he was before and that he'll improve even with his worst matchups to some decent degree. 4.0 made me the most hyped I've been since launch, and not because of Hero or anything. lol

This is nothing short of what was needed for Ridley. His claws and spikes will be able to leave more of a mark on the meta again like when Ultimate first came out, before people eventually knew what they were doing with him and figured him out for the most part. Godspeed.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
The Wing Blitz buff was almost word-for-word exactly what I wanted. Faster start-up and increased distance to make it a better on-stage offensive option and slightly improve recovery. Only thing that didn't happen is slightly lower landing lag, but that's alright.

Funny too, 'cause I have a few clips of me taking people by surprise and killing with Wing Blitz, and that's before the buff.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, did some model comparisons with Omley and Ultimately. It's interesting just how short and stocky the boss version is.
Sm4sh and Ultimate did great jobs with somehow making Samus and Ridley's hideous Other M designs actually look good. Samus's changes are subtle, like mostly detail work that just make the suit look actually mechanical and not just like some awkward bulky cosplay. Ridley, though... wow. I hadn't really compared his Other M design to his Ultimate one until now, and am just now realizing how disgusting the Other M one was. Why are his limbs so shredded while his torso is still so lean????? Other M was just a purple dragon. Smash Ultimate took that and morphed it into a fine Ridley.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Was made a few months ago, so before like the Banjo reveal, but didn't know about it till recently thanks to the youtube algorithm not being so kind. This style of villain ensemble really takes me back though, all the way to the Brawl era. How far we've come, and how much the roundtable has expanded since then... :u

Oh, also, the combo matchup document will be updated with the u-tilt > u-air kill confirm percentages on all the characters in the near future.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
4t.png

xD I couldn't help but to do this the moment I saw the pic!

And something I did to relax:
Garbage.png

"Don't look at me like that, Silly One. You cannot get picky right now when it comes to your food. Only when you go back to how you were before, you are going to be able to shove all the fishes you want into your goose beak for a mouth."

*Lil' Birdie whimpers*

"Deal with it, fluffball. At least the bugs are crunchy."

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Has anyone else noticed a lot of Ridley players on online matches lately? Yesterday, I ran into three. I think I've ran into more Ridleys than Ganons, which is an odd feeling.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
When you’ve got a dragon who can actually kill consistently now, former mains and whatnot pick him back up again as a result. It’s a good sight to see.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
When you’ve got a dragon who can actually kill consistently now, former mains and whatnot pick him back up again as a result. It’s a good sight to see.

I was definitely surprised though just how many I've ran into, though I do think Ridley was actually the character that received the most significant buffs out of all the characters buffed in 4.0, after reading through the changes for all characters. I've played twice this week, probably about 3 hours or so total of playtime, and have ran into five Ridleys online.

I do need practice with the Ridley Ridley matchup, ironically. Ridley is terrifying to fight, even as Ridley. He's pretty scary.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Getting used to Blender 2.8 now that I'm working in nodes. Tried recreating the Super poses.
Also I want to work on UltimateMeta Ridley, but for some reason the Models resource model's wing, tongue and tail pieces are part of the same model, meaning that applying the glow effect to the wings would also result in a glowing tongue and tail. looking into solutions at the moment but I'm open to suggestions.
1565408903681.png

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Getting used to Blender 2.8 now that I'm working in nodes. Tried recreating the Super poses.
Also I want to work on UltimateMeta Ridley, but for some reason the Models resource model's wing, tongue and tail pieces are part of the same model, meaning that applying the glow effect to the wings would also result in a glowing tongue and tail. looking into solutions at the moment but I'm open to suggestions.
View attachment 234264
You need a mask to block out the parts of the model you do not want to have the glowing effect applied to.

Could you post a screenshot of the material visual script you have set up for the wings/tail/tongue? How many material sockets does Ridley's model have? I'm assuming right now you have a diffuse, specular, normal, and maybe other maps hooked directly into a Blender material.

I'm not too familiar with Blender, but you should be able to open Ridley's model up in a software such as Substance Painter, and then paint on a mask that covers just his wings on the material socket that contains the wings, tongue, and tail. You'll export that mask from Substance Painter and bring it into Blender. Then, in your visual script, you'll need to take the effect you want, such as a glow, multiply it by the mask, and then apply this to where the glow would normally occur.

I created an example material below to show you, basically, what I mean. I have a material named 'texture' that contains a diffuse for a Pteranodon model. You can see in the bottom right corner, it has a yellow eye. If we wanted to isolate that eye from the rest of the diffuse, we need to multiply it by a mask. We have an eye mask and you can see I have taken the RGB channel out of this texture and multiplied it by the eye mask. Now the output shows just the eye. If we wanted to do something such as make its eyes glow, we would take the output of the multiply node that contains just the eye and have just this texture apply to the glowing effect. Here, it would go into the Emissive Color pin on the material node on the right.

This is UE4 though. I don't know how Blender visual scripts work or what they look like, but I imagine it'd be something similar.

1565451435209.png

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You need a mask to block out the parts of the model you do not want to have the glowing effect applied to.

Could you post a screenshot of the material visual script you have set up for the wings/tail/tongue? How many material sockets does Ridley's model have? I'm assuming right now you have a diffuse, specular, normal, and maybe other maps hooked directly into a Blender material.

I'm not too familiar with Blender, but you should be able to open Ridley's model up in a software such as Substance Painter, and then paint on a mask that covers just his wings on the material socket that contains the wings, tongue, and tail. You'll export that mask from Substance Painter and bring it into Blender. Then, in your visual script, you'll need to take the effect you want, such as a glow, multiply it by the mask, and then apply this to where the glow would normally occur.

I created an example material below to show you, basically, what I mean. I have a material named 'texture' that contains a diffuse for a Pteranodon model. You can see in the bottom right corner, it has a yellow eye. If we wanted to isolate that eye from the rest of the diffuse, we need to multiply it by a mask. We have an eye mask and you can see I have taken the RGB channel out of this texture and multiplied it by the eye mask. Now the output shows just the eye. If we wanted to do something such as make its eyes glow, we would take the output of the multiply node that contains just the eye and have just this texture apply to the glowing effect. Here, it would go into the Emissive Color pin on the material node on the right.

This is UE4 though. I don't know how Blender visual scripts work or what they look like, but I imagine it'd be something similar.

View attachment 234287

Managed to get it working, thank you!
Might add some metallic textures later, but I'm satisfied with my model.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
View attachment 234286

Managed to get it working, thank you!
Might add some metallic textures later, but I'm satisfied with my model.
Ohhhh I am very glad to hear! Tinkering around with Ridley's model looks like a lot of fun. I have to admit the temptation to bring him into UE4, animate him, and make him move around in a 3D game world under the player's control has been incredibly tempting.

Constantini

Smash Cadet
I have hit the roadblock. I've delved pretty high into the elite smash GSP realm but I'm now getting creamed by swordies.

CREAMED

Anyone have any isolated or advanced tips on success against roy/marth/lucina/chrom? Roy in particular I find absolutely unmanageable. Ive done lobby matches last week probably against 5 different roys and maybe 40 overall matches.....thus far my only conclusion is that none of ridley's buttons can do anything against him. At first I thought it was some salty scrub mentality going on but I really don't see how I can do anything, literally anything against fast falling Nair, Uair and Fair.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I have hit the roadblock. I've delved pretty high into the elite smash GSP realm but I'm now getting creamed by swordies.

CREAMED

Anyone have any isolated or advanced tips on success against roy/marth/lucina/chrom? Roy in particular I find absolutely unmanageable. Ive done lobby matches last week probably against 5 different roys and maybe 40 overall matches.....thus far my only conclusion is that none of ridley's buttons can do anything against him. At first I thought it was some salty scrub mentality going on but I really don't see how I can do anything, literally anything against fast falling Nair, Uair and Fair.
I have found the single Fire Ball to be a god send in those match ups. They have no projectiles and have to respect it. No charging unless they are off stage and do it while jumping and B-Reversing. Having them shield, jump or get hit because of it makes it easier to get in. Send a video of you playing. If it's that hard then maybe your approach to these characters is just off.

Constantini

Smash Cadet
Yea man, I've been playing a lot more than usual in lobbies and I'm slowly realizing I had a buttload of holes in my gameplan and that I was generally making a lot of dumb decisions. On the other hand I don't think I can ever go back to quickplay anymore.

I applied the single fireball and yea, it definitely helps! I ran into a palutena who got me like 12-0, I could barely even touch her. In that scenario I was totally lost. Idk if it's just because of ridley's floatiness plus hurtbox but today I learned that palu can fast fall Uair you into about 60% from 0%.....and if you block it she's still at the advantage to grab you into the exact same Uair combo anyhow.

Outside of swordies, she's also always been a major pain to deal with....

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I finally got into Elite Smash and won a few games today! It's the first time I've made it in without being booted out on my first ES match.

I sort of changed the focus of my game a bit and I think the mentality shift is giving a benefit.

Previously, I was always really aggressive in my play. I'd always approach and get punished a lot.

I started really trying to watch my opponent and wait for them to make a move, and then following up with a reaction to their play rather than trying to force my way in with mine. It seems to be benefiting me a lot. I try to watch their character, not mine, and behave accordingly instead.

This has also let me start picking up more quickly on how my opponent plays, rather than always focusing on my play. I can start seeing things like "Every time they miss a tech, they always get up attack," or "they always, always jump when getting up from the ledge," which I was missing before.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I kinda knew about plasma breath combo'ing into the tilts and such before like with u-tilt, but being reminded of it now, it's an easy alternative means of setting up the u-tilt > u-air kill confirm, even if the opponent's below the % range needed for said confirm to kill them, since plasma breath will put in the damage/work right beforehand. Like holy ****. Another game changer that was just realized.

Of course, you generally want to do a single fireball or half charged plasma breath that goes into three of them. Bombard the opponent with one or few well timed/placed fireballs, and you can run up to do your u-tilt > u-air kill confirm. Starts at around 65 to 70% versus most of the cast apparently, if you use three fireballs as the standard amount. With full charged plasma breath, it's even earlier.

Since I don't think I posted it in this thread already, this spreadsheet version of the u-tilt > u-air confirms on everyone and their needed % range is a good point of reference, whether you're gonna practice the mentioned plasma breath setup or not.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ODetoypSxKqHFZefXnlGI6FWNUJuaMLjIeEnZCPoPXY/edit#gid=0

The recent Vreyvus guide on Ridley disadvantage state and adapting was pretty good too, btw.

Constantini

Smash Cadet
I'm still not sure if fireball is terribly viable specially at higher levels. Single fireball works, but only from about 2/3 stage away, triple fireball is asking to get punished hard. After playing high level people and also watching tweek and Iota play ridley, I've noticed that a lot of the strategy against upper tier characters revolves heavily around out of shield Nair and parry punishing. I said this a few months back but now I'm more convinced about it.

At the very least, I feel like I can recover a lot faster and more often after his UpB buff.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Sm4sh and Ultimate did great jobs with somehow making Samus and Ridley's hideous Other M designs actually look good. Samus's changes are subtle, like mostly detail work that just make the suit look actually mechanical and not just like some awkward bulky cosplay. Ridley, though... wow. I hadn't really compared his Other M design to his Ultimate one until now, and am just now realizing how disgusting the Other M one was. Why are his limbs so shredded while his torso is still so lean????? Other M was just a purple dragon. Smash Ultimate took that and morphed it into a fine Ridley.
The most impressive design choices are those that explore his biology. Where Other M just stuck spikes on every available surface, the Ultimate designers considered how his musculature interplays with his exoskeleton-like elements. I especially love how they handled his eyes - such a fantastic interpretation of the Super Metroid design, and truly alien in that he doesn't even appear to have eyeballs.
I started really trying to watch my opponent and wait for them to make a move, and then following up with a reaction to their play rather than trying to force my way in with mine. It seems to be benefiting me a lot. I try to watch their character, not mine, and behave accordingly instead.
You're definitely most "in the zone" in Smash when you find yourself watching your opponent's fighter more than your own, with your movement/options flowing naturally as a result of theirs.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
^ Whether a single or triple fireball, it's all about using when jumping/landing or wavebouncing.

Anyway, after giving u-tilt > u-air some more good practice, starting to get more used to doing double jump over the fullhop version now (feeling more consistent with it), with or without the plasma breath setup, tho it helps. It’s not really something to fish for in a real match though; just occasionally try to pull off and let come naturally when the opponent's around the right % range needed for you to kill them with it. Still, great practice it can be as another option during future endeavors.

And yeah, saw that clip earlier. Felt good hearing indeed.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Participated in that Nintendo online tournament, while I didn't never dropped a set, didn't meet the minimum threshhold (certain amount of matches) to advance. Started feeling sick sadly, keeping one of the top spots on the ladder requires constant uninterrupted matchmaking. Was at least a fun time with decent rules.

Buffs feeling real good. I've come to have a newfound appreciation for a lot of moves lately. I am getting a lot of people by following them off stage > baiting an early airdodge > angle Up B appropriately (usually fast fall > straight up works, and allows for making it back with Ridley's aerial drift).

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Eh, I think the tourney ladder was a bit skewed. I had the same amount of wins as the top player, but because I played more matches and had a few more losses as a result, I wasn't in the top 32. It's like you could just win every match your first hour, then just quit until the cutoff point.

But I have to agree, I threw a lot of people off with Ridley. His already beastly back air is so good with the new buffs. I think the move was the one I got more KO's with than all other moves combined.

Last edited:

Constantini

Smash Cadet
Alright, finally got around to capturing a couple of good replays. My faults are evident, mainly hard reading a bit too much but otherwise I'm pretty content over my improvement. Lots to work on though.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Alright, finally got around to capturing a couple of good replays. My faults are evident, mainly hard reading a bit too much but otherwise I'm pretty content over my improvement. Lots to work on though.

It looks like you have gotten quite sharp in these matches. You seem to be good at pulling out the right move for the right scenario, and it looks like you've very comfortable controlling Ridley and pulling out the right part of his toolkit for the right moment. Especially with all those uses of plasma breath.

Last edited:

Constantini

Smash Cadet
Thanks man, yea it takes me a few matches to get into the mojo but once I'm warmed up I feel pretty confident these days. Ridley is easy in the regard that all of his A moves do exactly what they should intuitively be there for, but another bit I've realized recently is that his Nair and forward tilt tippers are crazy important to get proper mileage. I use plasma breath a but more now but you can definitely get ****ed up real hard even by using the single one at the wrong time.
Here's a couple more! I figure I can maybe get some critiques and perhaps newcomers can learn a thing or two??? The Ridley forums are pretty dead so any activity will do.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I'm looking for tips on how to improve generally as well. I still am not that great at the game, since I still can't seem to get to elite smash, so any advice would be appreciated. :p

Here are some of my replays. Forgot I edited out the music before I deleted them. Oops.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
XD I know this meme is old as heck, but, eh, I had fun doodling this thing:
NO.png

"WHO THE **** IS THIS?!"

*Roidley begins to talk inside Ridley's subconcious while they are in their fused form*

"...I think I remember him..."

"WHAT?!"

"Yeah...memories are coming to my head...He told me I didn't know how to "treat a lady" and that I "had no style.", also calling me a punk....And then..."

"And then what?"

"I kicked his butt by swinging my tail at him."

"...Hold on, really? From all the stuff that you just told me, that's the thing I find the HARDEST to believe, Silly One."

"I don't know why I suddenly I remembered that....but I SWEAR I DID, BIG BRO! Back in the Pyrosphere!"

"Well, congrats to ya, you finally achieved something in life, even though seeing this guy here means that you actually failed miserably."

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
XD I know this meme is old as heck, but, eh, I had fun doodling this thing:
View attachment 235287

"WHO THE **** IS THIS?!"

*Roidley begins to talk inside Ridley's subconcious while they are in their fused form*

"...I think I remember him..."

"WHAT?!"

"Yeah...memories are coming to my head...He told me I didn't know how to "treat a lady" and that I "had no style.", also calling me a punk....And then..."

"And then what?"

"I kicked his butt by swinging my tail at him."

"...Hold on, really? From all the stuff that you just told me, that's the thing I find the HARDEST to believe, Silly One."

"I don't know why I suddenly I remembered that....but I SWEAR I DID, BIG BRO! Back in the Pyrosphere!"

"Well, congrats to ya, you finally achieved something in life, even though seeing this guy here means that you actually failed miserably."
I remember during Smash 4 speculation when people were hungry for any Metroid rep even Anthony lol! We are so bless we got Ridley and Dark Samus in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm looking for tips on how to improve generally as well. I still am not that great at the game, since I still can't seem to get to elite smash, so any advice would be appreciated. :p

Here are some of my replays. Forgot I edited out the music before I deleted them. Oops.

One thing I would say is use jab 3 more often instead of always rapid jab; hold A for jab 3 to come out instead of mashing A which results in the rapid jab. I just say that mainly because jab 3 tends to be slept on and can be good for a quick knockback.

Also against Hero, because of how their up B works, you can basically d-air spike them on reaction when they're trying to recover with it and live.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
One thing I would say is use jab 3 more often instead of always rapid jab; hold A for jab 3 to come out instead of mashing A which results in the rapid jab. I just say that mainly because jab 3 tends to be slept on and can be good for a quick knockback.

Also against Hero, because of how their up B works, you can basically d-air spike them on reaction when they're trying to recover with it and live.
I did not know you could hold it to get to jab 3, that is really good to know. Thanks!

For hero I usually go for Up B angled downward, but I will try down air if it will result in me taking astock instead of trading. I played with down air in training mode but it seemed kind of random when the sweet spot would spike.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975

I went ahead and watched the videos you posted! I didn't find the Ganondorf match to be that helpful in assessing your play, as it seemed like you really just stomped him hard and he made a few massive blunders during the match. The Hero match was better. I usually find watching close losses to be more helpful in identifying gameplay weaknesses or mistakes than watching a set where I win by a significant margin.

I noticed in your match against Hero, in the first fifteen seconds you whiff a side smash and two SPR's. Two of the three times, your opponent got a punish. You've opened yourself up by throwing out heavy, slow attacks in neutral and your opponent has taken advantage of this. A hit here and there may not feel like much when you're at a low percentage, but you're racking up hits. I have this same problem too sometimes, especially when I get desperate, feel like I'm losing my lead, or stop paying much attention. Be very cautious about throwing out side B, up B, down B, neutral B, dash attack, or smashes in neutral. Usually after I lose a match, I can go back and watch my footage and more often than not it's because I'm being repeatedly punished by trying to use these moves too frequently, too predictably, or at the wrong time rather than good well-timed tilts and aerials. Take a look at the first two matches Constantini posted. Look how frequently he's using tilts and aerials and fishing for a hit. That's what the pro Ridleys do.

If you start substituting some of these heavily punishable moves for safer options such as dtilts, retreating nairs or fairs timed with your opponents jumps, and other, safe neutral options, you'll find your opponent has a harder time getting to you and racking up percentage. You'll also set up more opportunities for your opponent to make readable mistakes, such as air dodging into a smash, SPR, or skewer, missing techs and being forced to choose an option, being knocked off-stage and opening themselves up for gimps or ledge guards, etc. The stronger your neutral game, the more frequently you'll be given these opportunities for hard hits on your opponent. Each one is an opportunity.

At T=17 against Hero, and once other time during the match, you release from SPR and then stand right on the edge of the platform and use plasma breath. Usually, this will end up getting you hit, (though in both these cases it worked out). Usually to guard with plasma breath I like to hop back after releasing SPR to the spot where the fireballs barely cusp over the edge of the platform. It catches a lot of recoveries if timed and spaced well, and is a lot safer than standing on the edge.

If you don't mind me asking, what GSP were these recorded in? I'm curious just how close to Elite Smash you are right now. Currently, the cutoff is at 5.2 million. I'm hitting a point right now where I can beat the people right before Elite Smash fairly consistently, but often get booted out of ES within a few matches once I cross into it. I may post a couple matches later as well, probably some matches where I lose in ES and get kicked out, for some critiques.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I went ahead and watched the videos you posted! I didn't find the Ganondorf match to be that helpful in assessing your play, as it seemed like you really just stomped him hard and he made a few massive blunders during the match. The Hero match was better. I usually find watching close losses to be more helpful in identifying gameplay weaknesses or mistakes than watching a set where I win by a significant margin.

I noticed in your match against Hero, in the first fifteen seconds you whiff a side smash and two SPR's. Two of the three times, your opponent got a punish. You've opened yourself up by throwing out heavy, slow attacks in neutral and your opponent has taken advantage of this. A hit here and there may not feel like much when you're at a low percentage, but you're racking up hits. I have this same problem too sometimes, especially when I get desperate, feel like I'm losing my lead, or stop paying much attention. Be very cautious about throwing out side B, up B, down B, neutral B, dash attack, or smashes in neutral. Usually after I lose a match, I can go back and watch my footage and more often than not it's because I'm being repeatedly punished by trying to use these moves too frequently, too predictably, or at the wrong time rather than good well-timed tilts and aerials. Take a look at the first two matches Constantini posted. Look how frequently he's using tilts and aerials and fishing for a hit. That's what the pro Ridleys do.

If you start substituting some of these heavily punishable moves for safer options such as dtilts, retreating nairs or fairs timed with your opponents jumps, and other, safe neutral options, you'll find your opponent has a harder time getting to you and racking up percentage. You'll also set up more opportunities for your opponent to make readable mistakes, such as air dodging into a smash, SPR, or skewer, missing techs and being forced to choose an option, being knocked off-stage and opening themselves up for gimps or ledge guards, etc. The stronger your neutral game, the more frequently you'll be given these opportunities for hard hits on your opponent. Each one is an opportunity.

At T=17 against Hero, and once other time during the match, you release from SPR and then stand right on the edge of the platform and use plasma breath. Usually, this will end up getting you hit, (though in both these cases it worked out). Usually to guard with plasma breath I like to hop back after releasing SPR to the spot where the fireballs barely cusp over the edge of the platform. It catches a lot of recoveries if timed and spaced well, and is a lot safer than standing on the edge.

If you don't mind me asking, what GSP were these recorded in? I'm curious just how close to Elite Smash you are right now. Currently, the cutoff is at 5.2 million. I'm hitting a point right now where I can beat the people right before Elite Smash fairly consistently, but often get booted out of ES within a few matches once I cross into it. I may post a couple matches later as well, probably some matches where I lose in ES and get kicked out, for some critiques.
I juggle between 2 million and 5 million frequently. Sometimes I get some good matches and other times I just get juggled.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know what Ridley crossover I want to see next? Monster Hunter. Imagine him being an extra boss in that. He'd be the coolest monster in the game. Plus then you could get Ridley armor and weapons. It would be so awesome.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I juggle between 2 million and 5 million frequently. Sometimes I get some good matches and other times I just get juggled.
I have that happen too sometimes. Some days I'll just log on and lose 10 in a row or something and really tank low. Then the next time I sit down to play online, I'll win a bunch and go back up. I think it has a lot to depend on my mood going into the session tbh, as when I'm tired or in a bad mood I always tank my rating.

I did quite well today, and it's the first time I have won many games in Elite Smash! I went ahead and posted about 20 minutes of some of the better matches here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0xWWZlfdV8&feature=youtu.be

I am posting this looking for critiques on improving as well. I know I'm still getting hit a lot for using highly punishable moves such as side B, too many f smashes, really bad skewer misreads, or other stuff, which I'm working on reducing, but the bad habits aren't easy to fix instantly. I really struggled against Simon. I actually fought that same guy twice and both times only took one stock off him. I wasn't sure how to approach him and kind of got desperate during the match. I played 4 matches against the Captain Falcon, and went 2-2. The match I posted here was one of the closest. I played 5 matches against the Joker, and went 4-1. I went 0-2 against Simon (he actually kicked me out of ES, but I got back in again). Bowser, Jigglypuff, didn't rematch me. Corrin got knocked out of ES after that match. I wanted to rematch them. I rematched the Ganon, and he beat me both times. That guy was terrifying, and I've never seen a Ganon make use of down tilt as well as he did before. He didn't rematch again after the second.

Let me know what you think after viewing them, and I am open to advice.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well... I will say, good comeback against the Corrin. Once you started playing more punish-defensively, you turned the match around. Shame about the Belmont MU part there though; is why I always try to face on him a Battlefield variant when given the opportunity, where it's more even between them.

With the Little Mac you definitely got too aggressive, but with how close you were to taking his 2nd stock for awhile, it's understandable. I think I would've d-smashed after that skewer on him at the end, though not sure if that would've been the right/best call either. And I guess I would say ya should've used plasma breath a bit more against the Ganondorf at further range. As a former Ganon main/current co-main, take it from me that he has to respect projectiles (to a point) when he lacks one himself. It probably helped for him though that y'all was fighting on a Battlefield variant and not Final Destination, so he had more room to maneuver past and get to ya.

This is only something I had started practicing more myself, but try sharking past a ledge with upward wing blitz every now and then (press down right before your up B goes up to snap past the ledge), to catch them off guard and hit with wing blitz when they least expect it. Only when they're right above you though; wing blitzing up past ledge at any other time would leave you open for punishing, and of course doing it too much would make it predictable, but still, make it an occasional option/habit for a mixup.

At this point you've played/progressed with Ridley in elite smash more than me, so I'm not the best one to be giving advice anyway, but my 2 cents I guess.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Well... I will say, good comeback against the Corrin. Once you started playing more punish-defensively, you turned the match around. Shame about the Belmont MU part there though; is why I always try to face on him a Battlefield variant when given the opportunity, where it's more even between them.

With the Little Mac you definitely got too aggressive, but with how close you were to taking his 2nd stock for awhile, it's understandable. I think I would've d-smashed after that skewer on him at the end, though not sure if that would've been the right/best call either. And I guess I would say ya should've used plasma breath a bit more against the Ganondorf at further range. As a former Ganon main/current co-main, take it from me that he has to respect projectiles (to a point) when he lacks one himself. It probably helped for him though that y'all was fighting on a Battlefield variant and not Final Destination, so he had more room to maneuver past and get to ya.

This is only something I had started practicing more myself, but try sharking past a ledge with upward wing blitz every now and then (press down right before your up B goes up to snap past the ledge), to catch them off guard and hit with wing blitz when they least expect it. Only when they're right above you though; wing blitzing up past ledge at any other time would leave you open for punishing, and of course doing it too much would make it predictable, but still, make it an occasional option/habit for a mixup.

At this point you've played/progressed with Ridley in elite smash more than me, so I'm not the best one to be giving advice anyway, but my 2 cents I guess.
Thanks! I was very happy my up smash connected at the end, and didn't expect it to take his last stock so early. What a relief. I was experimenting to see if Ridley's up smash could contest his stop and drop dair (I tried earlier in that match too but I missed). I've found that most of these Ridley can beat with either usmash or utilt if timed properly. I know it works on Bowser's and ZSS's dairs, but I think Link's goes through.

I'm noticing that among all the sets I record and rewatch, whenever I step back, breathe a bit, and calm down and start using the more basic moves in Ridley's toolkit, I start doing significantly better. It's when I start going for tons of side b's, or trying to finish them off with a smash or surprise wing blitz that I start getting punished a lot. That's why I had such a hard time with Simon. I couldn't do that because he just threw axes and crosses and holy water at me if I did. I suppose this realization is probably why so many high tier Ridley players say he struggles so hard against zoners. I was very confused on how to approach him during both matches I played vs him, and he was very good at covering all of my approach options at the same time, reacting to what I did, and hitting me away every single time. Some platforms would've absolutely helped here though.

I definitely botched the game against Little Mac. It's ironic, as I feel like I actually lose to Mac almost every time I encounter him, despite him being one of Ridley's best matchups, and one of the lowest tier characters in the game. He always surprises me with being so fast, hitting so hard, and donning his super armor right when I think I have a punish window open. I definitely got greedy for that final blow and kept getting punished all the way through my entire second stock. I usually dsmash after a skewer since it covers two options, but this time I just had a feeling he'd roll away because I guessed that he probably knew Ridley likes to dsmash after skewer. I'm actually not sure how he avoided that dash attack at the end tbh. It looks like I may have done it too fast, and he was still in his roll invincibility frames. Thought I had him there.

That Ganondorf was probably the best one I've ever fought. I've never seen a player make full use of Ganon's moveset like he did. Whenever I run into Ganon online, I'm always waiting to see if their first move is down B or side B. If so, it's an easy match. If not, it's going to be a real fight. I really liked fighting this guy. He was avoiding a lot of my attempts at plasma, and was doing a good job staying very close to me and not letting me do it. He surprised me many times where I thought I had a punish opportunity with that down tilt. I've literally never seen a Ganon even use that move before. I also second Ganon and love playing Ganondorf, so watching this guy was kind of giving me some tips on what I may want to try. I also liked that he tried to cover multiple tech chase options after he landed side B by moving and doing a dsmash.

I'll certainly look for more opportunities to WB up and hit players standing on the ledge. I'm not too good at it, so I may need to practice. Sometimes I try to do it but have the stick timing wrong, and I've got a bad habit of accidentally doing the stick too early and SD'ing in a very embarrassing way. Just gotta practice more. Also, from what I've seen you post in the Ridley Discord and on these forums, it seems your knowledge of Ridley is quite extensive. I would think you would be in a great position to give advice. You certainly know vastly more than I about how to combo or string Ridley's moves together, or how to perform more advanced techs (like a roll-boosted, auto attack canceled ultra joystick reversed upside down dash attack autograb).

Thanks for watching the matches I posted! I am happy you enjoyed them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom