• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
XD I love how both look. Though, this just reminded me how BIG Brawl Ridley's head looks, along with his bending straw neck. Is it just me or Brawl Ridley's lower jaw is equally short as Ultimate Meta Ridley? Or am I seeing things?
Either way, they sport some serious overbites.
1563764986270.png

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's weird seeing Brawl Ridley again, for so long he was my image of Ridley. He was the only 3D Model of the standard design, unless you count Other M (which I don't)

But the new design he received blows it out of the water in every way except maybe the tail. (I miss the arrowhead). He just looks absolutely incredible. I especially love the new eye slits.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Been watching more players I don't usually keep up with lately. Iota did really well a few weeks ago at Xanadu, going almost entirely Ridley until Grand Finals.

They got a 3-0 to reset the bracket in GFs, but swapped to Mewtwo after they felt their opponent had adapted/was too much. Still a very impressive showing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley too hot confirmed.

Already posted this, but figured it'd be good to post here too. Having just practiced it a bit, starting to get a better idea on Ridley tech chases against moving/dodging opponents, though still got a ways to go before I become more a natural at it far as reaction time.

Guess it can also be a good way to practice fishing for those combos I had posted at 0% when you pick the respective opponent matchup for training mode. Gonna try some of that later on Palutena, etc when I have more time/not about to work.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
They’re both space pirates, so yeah. Their popularity gave them precedence over Andross and Mother Brain within their own series respectively which is also always a nice comparison. Also still cool how their amiibos came out in the same time frame. Wolf is one of the harder matchups for Ridley, that said, but seeing fellow space pirates clash is always nice.

https://gfycat.com/decisiveillgnatcatcher

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I've just come here to confess that though ridley was my most wanted character in smash ever since melee. after about 4 months of maining ridley i dropped them in april down to a sub and honestly now they're barely even a tertiary as i just.. don't have fun with this character at all i realized as playing them for longer than the very occasional short burst i just find stresses me out more than anything in this game as even compared to arguably worse characters i like to play like k.rool Ridley feels like a character that has absolutely ZERO room for error even in relatively casual mid-level play it seems like you just always have to be absolutely on point every second of the match or get destroyed. combine this with the lack of consistent kill confirms and despite ridley being my favorite as a character, it's just not worth it to me.

Major props to you guys for still sticking to our long awaited metroid nemesis through all the frustration though.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Wait, I thought that tweet was a joke.. did that seriously happen? also agreed, plasma breath is already a lackluster enough projectile(partciularly in regard to it's overly strong weakpoint when throwing out the move randomly in neutral is already highly punishable enough) nerfing it would be the dumbest thing

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I've just come here to confess that though ridley was my most wanted character in smash ever since melee. after about 4 months of maining ridley i dropped them in april down to a sub and honestly now they're barely even a tertiary as i just.. don't have fun with this character at all i realized as playing them for longer than the very occasional short burst i just find stresses me out more than anything in this game as even compared to arguably worse characters i like to play like k.rool Ridley feels like a character that has absolutely ZERO room for error even in relatively casual mid-level play it seems like you just always have to be absolutely on point every second of the match or get destroyed. combine this with the lack of consistent kill confirms and despite ridley being my favorite as a character, it's just not worth it to me.

Major props to you guys for still sticking to our long awaited metroid nemesis through all the frustration though.
Have ya looked at the guides and stuff and how others play him, out of curiosity? That would likely give you more perspective beyond your own experience. Heck, just going from the Iota tournament plays posted above, I would say Ridley has plenty room for error and ability to make good comebacks. It's just part of the learning curve with him I guess.

I feel ya though, especially on the lack of consistent kill confirms which hurts him to a point. Usually it's not too consequential with the edgeguarding monster he is and when in advantage state, but when I see kill confirms that others have, even those that have less tournament presence like K. Rool, I'm like "Damn, if only he had some of these". At the highest level play, you kinda do have to just hope for the best as far as when he'll happen to kill, and not get greedy & try to fish for a smash attack for a kill or something, unless you're accurately reading the opponent for a punish, but that's how it goes for someone of his archetype.

Wait, I thought that tweet was a joke.. did that seriously happen? also agreed, plasma breath is already a lackluster enough projectile(partciularly in regard to it's overly strong weakpoint when throwing out the move randomly in neutral is already highly punishable enough) nerfing it would be the dumbest thing
Yeah, the tweet was a joke. That Switch shut itself off to prevent overheating. Plasma Breath already got nerfed once though if you count the time that character projectiles on shield got nerfed across the board so that shielding would become more viable again. :u Reasonable tradeoff.

As far as neutral, DI short/full hopping with a single fireball is where it's at, or wavebouncing with a half charged plasma breath. Doing the full charge in neutral is a common rookie mistake. I actually like the whole take set damage instead of suffering knockback whenever plasma breath is interrupted though (not to mention is another token Metroid series reference), as it can be a random lifesaver for Ridley depending on his %, but that's just me.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Yeah, i looked at lots of guides and pro player footage back then but now i currently am not interested in playing ultimate competitively and don't really have or will to lab these games as much anymore so that combined with the fact that i'm not really the type of player that likes to wait around a lot without reliable kill options up my sleeve has lead me to deem ridley as just not really fitting my playstyle.(especially since IMO gimping isn't really sustainable in a game that has so many crazy strong recoveries such as inkling, pacman, etc unless you also have an equally ridiculous recovery)

as for plasma breath i just think the ammount of damage is a bit high considering that fully charging plasma breath is already enough of an inherent risk as is

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Brotherly.png

xD Well, just a little idea I got for various days now. My Ridley Bros. got yet again separated by Master Hand, and well, Roidley was turned back into his baby form temporarily for something the annoying floating glove needed (He had to threaten them again for it) and got his little fluffy butt kicked. Ridley didn't have it any better, having to fight constantly in ridiculous amount of matches without any rest (In his Meta form), and in the end, the last thing he received was a punch in the gut (probably from C.Falcon, and yet Ridley won every single one of the fights), causing him to vomit a lot of blood when returning to Norfair. But he tries to joke around to ease Roidley's worries (xD Though, for the record, he WASN'T joking when it came to how disgusting Samus is).

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
A Japanese player named Ridley I guess who mains the named character? Odd, but not unwelcomed.

https://twitter.com/ridley17104

They've been using him since day 1 too from the looks of it, and is pretty good as you would expect. I regret that they were under the radar for us till now, but a Japanese Ridley player in the midst is especially vindicating after the whole "He's not popular in Japan" thing.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It seems like Ridley got a decent amount of improvements in this update.

Up Smash Attack: Increased the amount of time hit detection lasts. Extended launch distance.
Back Air Attack: Increased power.
Up Air Attack: Increased the high-damage range. Made easier to hit the high-damage range.
Dash Attack: Increased attack range.
Side Special: Reduced vulnerability when jumping after grabbing an opponent. Extended launch distance when throwing an opponent at the edge.
Up Special: Increased attack speed. Increased movement speed.

Source: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47012

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Anyone notice that for the patch notes, with the exception of Ridley, all other characters whose down air dives to the ground got changed to descend immediately? Kind of strange.

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
My friends! Our boy was loved today! Can I finally start calling Ridley a good character like I did in the past? Time will tell! But still, it's damn nice to finally see this.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Gleam

Smash Ace
They may have also fixed Ridley's D-air so that it doesn't go into that strange idle animation when you've been struck. So when he uses it, he immediately drops down at full speed. Frankly if it was something that could be utilized more easily, I wouldn't mind as I think it would allow for better options for Ridley. It would certainly make the move better if you could halt your trajectory at will.

But I've only done a little testing so if I'm wrong, my apologies.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
It's been five years since I first signed up to Smashboards and it's been a ride for the ages. I'm glad I can be a part of the inner circle of the enjoyment of Ridley. What a difference five years make. Who knew that K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie all got into the same game. It's still a feeling that feels incredible and no one can take that away from us. I'm fortunate to meet all of you here and hopefully can still retain that connection. Also, nice to see Ridley getting some buffs finally! I'll have to try the new buffs out myself. Cheers fellow Space Pirates!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
YEEEEEEES!! What a lovely thing to wake up to. They're not buffs to suddenly propel him to high tier or anything of course, but they definitely help a lot regardless, I'll take solid mid tier if I can.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
At the very least I think he went from low to somewhere high in the mid tier spectrum with those changes, which is all I could really ask for. Happier times ahead.

Oh, and he now has a kill confirm with up tilt > fullhop u-air, thanks to u-air’s buff making the sweetspot so much easier to land now.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Decided to mess around on the new tourney mode after spending some time labbing. Yeah, the buffs help. Not gonna solve everything, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anyone notice that for the patch notes, with the exception of Ridley, all other characters whose down air dives to the ground got changed to descend immediately? Kind of strange.
I'm pretty sure they just didn't remember to put it in the patch notes, just played against my brother's G&W, and while he was spamming U-Air I kept on doing D-Air to see if it'd ever lose momentum, and it didn't, so I'm fairly confident in saying that he got the change as well.

The buffs do feel pretty good overall, his Up-B feels so much better now, and in the Online Tourney I played I got two kills that I don't think I'd have gotten previously thanks to the B-Air and U-Air buffs, the latter which won me the final. I'm not too sure how significant his U-Smash and Dash Attack buffs are, the moves' hitboxes don't feel different to me at least, U-Smash still whiffs from the front regularly.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
I'd gotten a few cheap up-b kills before, but with these changes I feel it could be a reliable rush option. Approach to Ridley is going to change. Excited to lab exactly how deep offstage he can reliably go with side-b and fair walls now.

U-Smash still whiffs from the front regularly.
Strange, I was immediately feeling the difference against a Sonic. Would try against different heights.

Constantini

Smash Cadet
You're doing it wrong homie, it's all about the run up reverse U-Smash life with riddles mc diddles.

I stopped playing smash for a bit.....my **** stiffened when I saw the patch notes this morning. Great reason to come back!
He's still got issues but the buffs are fantastic, all of them, especially up B. For the next patch, all I want and need is for him to be slightly, just ever so slightly heavier....then I will be completely happy.

Oh and I guess rework down B but that ain't ever happening.

Enjoy the buffs, everyone!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yes! His recovery got buffed.

It's been five years since I first signed up to Smashboards and it's been a ride for the ages. I'm glad I can be a part of the inner circle of the enjoyment of Ridley. What a difference five years make. Who knew that K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie all got into the same game. It's still a feeling that feels incredible and no one can take that away from us. I'm fortunate to meet all of you here and hopefully can still retain that connection. Also, nice to see Ridley getting some buffs finally! I'll have to try the new buffs out myself. Cheers fellow Space Pirates!
Their inclusion along with the return of all the veterans made Ultimate the dream game for me. K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie were in my top 5 most wanted list before getting in. I've waited almost 18 years for those 3 and as you said BravadoMan_13 BravadoMan_13 It's a incredible feeling that we got those 3 in the same game.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Looks like Ridley finally got a notable set of buffs. Glad that recovery is faster.

Like others have been saying, I doubt this will suddenly make him high tier or anything, but this gives me hope for his tournament presence.

Gleam

Smash Ace
The launch distance for Space Pirate Rush has been notably buffed, as stated in the patch. I seem to recall that it usually took Ridley anywhere from 150-180% to get a reliable kill off a grounded Side-Special.

Now he can kill Cloud, a character who is just a few frames from being a heavy weight, at 120%. He can kill Bowser, the heaviest character at around 130-140% and he can kill Fox, one of the lightest characters at less than 100%.

Firox

Smash Master
I've noticed that sometimes when I use Side B, the angle of Ridley's throw is different. Sometimes it goes horizontal for a nice kill confirm while others it throws my victim at a crappy 45 degree angle. Is there a way to control it?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've noticed that sometimes when I use Side B, the angle of Ridley's throw is different. Sometimes it goes horizontal for a nice kill confirm while others it throws my victim at a crappy 45 degree angle. Is there a way to control it?
The less distance you drag them across the stage, the higher the KBG. Dragging them the entire stage does more damage, but kills significantly later (and gives them more time to mash out).

This was actually an error on the English translation, the Japanese patch notes correctly list this change. Dash attack range is seemingly a placebo.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I wasn't exactly crying for Ridley buffs like I've seen many others do in certain other forums, but not gonna lie, these changes feel pretty nice. At my level I feel the most significant ones are definitely the longer up smash duration and faster Wing Blitz, but the increased power of Space Pirate Rush and better u-air sweetspot are nothing to scoff at either.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Holy crap Ridley's voice lines sound menacing. I just listened to them in sounds for the first time and they sound way more horrific on their own than they do in game.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Holy crap Ridley feels like a brand new character here! all my complaints with his up b, his previously linear feeling gameplan, and lack of kill options have now pretty much all been answered(when usualy they never do!) rusty with ridley but am definietly havin fun with the character;s greater feeling of freedom now(especially in regard to his air game as now he truly feels like the threatening sky predator he should be) and am going to put in more time to get back into them again

Last edited:
Top Bottom