• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing it with Low Tiers?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I've noticed this happening alot in the community where alot of low tier mains have dropped their mains in order to play higher tier characters. I notice Taj playing MArth ALOT now as opposed to the sexy Mewtwo he's known for. I also recall Gimpy dropping Bowser for ganon a while back(but he returned to Bowser). Eggz(I know MArio isn't Low tier but he's still hard to place well with against the top 5) I've noticed playing Marth and Fox a few times. Hell it's even happened with me lately. I used to be a Ness/Ice Climber/Ylink/GaW main but now I just find myself not playing Ness as much, mostly focusing on my IC game. I don't feel like I'm improving with him and it saddens me. Hell, I've even been screwing around with MArth alot more than usual.

So who here just plays low tier for the sake of playing Low tier and how many tow tier mains have been through this period where they felt like it was a hopeless cause at becoming good with a crappy character? Was it stagnation that brought along these thoughts? An embarrassing defeat at the hands of a player that you KNEW you were better than? What was it?

simplicityho

Smash Journeyman
Yes.
I used to be a Falcon/Zelda/Pikachu player, but I"ve moved on to Sheik and Marth, though I still play with Zelda a bit.
I think it's because however much we want to be loyal to our characters, it eventually hits us that you can't win anything with them, so why not spend your skill on someone better?

vinnieminnie

Smash Cadet
yes... it happened to me and my kirby :( but now... kirby's still my main :) I just like to screw around with falcon... and I'm really starting to like link since I've seen aniki play... but they aren't top tiers so I've had my period of high tiers :)

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
I've never gone through that kind of phase with my Ness. I like playing with Fox because of his speed but to me, Ness is still the funnest to play with.

Anther

Smash Champion
I almost dropped Pikachu for Fox a while ago, when I first started going to tourneys due to lost confidence, but then he caught up and started beating pretty badly again, and it feels so much better to play the character I've been playing for years as opposed to playing my falco or one of my other lesser characters.

Especially when pika's only 2 ridiculous matchups in my opinion being ICs and Sheik.

Reppin dat low tier woop woop.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
So who here just plays low tier for the sake of playing Low tier and how many tow tier mains have been through this period where they felt like it was a hopeless cause at becoming good with a crappy character? Was it stagnation that brought along these thoughts? An embarrassing defeat at the hands of a player that you KNEW you were better than? What was it?
I'm probably going to make some people mad by saying this, but maybe they just finally got serious? Honestly, i can't see how people can main low tiers and still call themselves competitive players. I'm not saying that you can't be good with low tiers, it just seems to me that you're knowingly setting a limit for yourself if you plan to go competitive but won't give up the low tier.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
its melee's biggest flaw... the balance factor.

im a jiggz, Y. Link and im in that period now where im tempted to play high tier

Anther

Smash Champion
Honestly, i can't see how people can main low tiers and still call themselves competitive players.
I main pikachu because I beat people that are better than me with him, using the surprise factor to the fullest, plus the fact that I don't think his tier placement is necessairly correct with his matchups not being as bad as most people think they are. But I also have Ice Climber and Falco backup for situations that I feel the need to bring them out.. which is typical of most tourney players anyway..

Some of us low tier mains win tourneys, knowing our character limits and when its time to switch are part of being competitive, so saying otherwise is silly. I don't go into a fight thinking "Oh man I know I'm disadvantaged, but I'm going to choose this low tier to challenge myself." I do it cause I know my ability with Pika's a lot greater than my other characters... and that my chances of winning are a bit higher with him, especially against fastfallers and marth, because chances are I know the matchup a lot better than they do.

Shazz

Smash Journeyman
That sounds reasonable Anther, although aside from the 'surprise factor', the experience in matchups you'retalking about could just as well be applied to a character of a higher tier and potential.
So is it really that good (from a pure competitive perspective)?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
cant remember exact quote but g-reg said something along the lines of "Get good with matchups for your character, dont worry about counterpicks". So basically, u might have a disadvantage with a character, but it doesnt mean u should stop using them. People used to say sheik counters marth (most still do) but i have yet to see Ken or M2K lose to a sheik in a set using marth more than a few times in their whole career of smash. Sure i main top tier, but im also good with just about every low tier character. The tier list is not how good a char. is, but based off of how many tourney placings. IC's should be higher in terms of how good they are, but seeing as there arent many IC players they r not higher up. Peace out.
100TH POST BIOTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Pikachu 4 lyfe!!!onethousendandthree
The reason I do not play secondaries is that I will lose Pika's love.
In the fraction of the time I practiced with Pika, Falco will surpass so I'll play him more.
That is horrible! I am a Pika main forever! Even threw Brawl.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, well, to be honest I experienced the opposite.

Ever since day one, I've been mained Marth. Captain Falcon and Link were my secondaries. Just recently though, a few months ago, I decided that I've had enough with high tier characters. I honestly feel that it's easier to win with Marth than most other characters.

Not to be a john or anything... but winning with Marth makes me feel really cheap.

So now Captain Falcon is my main, followed by Link, and I'm working on Samus as a third. Too bad Falcon's been climbing up the tiers lately... hmm... I'm also working on my Mewtwo again. Picking Mewtwo in the middle of a tournament is the ultimate mindgame, albeit a great risk... but all the more humiliating a defeat for the opponent... hah!

Anther

Smash Champion
That sounds reasonable Anther, although aside from the 'surprise factor', the experience in matchups you'retalking about could just as well be applied to a character of a higher tier and potential.
So is it really that good (from a pure competitive perspective)?
Yeah it's true that it'd probably be better applied... and higher tiered characters would suit me better for competitive purposes. At the same time, I really like the psychological advantage that's gained when people know you're good with a low tier, and you take their first stock in an instant, or just seeing that the matchup's not really an easy one as they thought it'd be..

But you're right. Course at the same time I'm enjoying exploring the potential of Pikachu, as I know that I've played him past my own expectations on its ability as a tourney character, and I'ma use the game nearing its end john and probably still play him the majority of my tourney matches, as opposed to sucking at the last few tourneys for SSBM I'll attend XD.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Well, if you think about it, it makes sense. The way tiers are defined is by the level at which a character can be played (from current knowledge/observation). A high tier character can be played at a higher level than a low tier character. And it's often more fun to play at that higher level.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I went through somethin close to that. like I had to get over my yoshi pride. Like in the beging before i started goin to tournament an playin at that lv. I used to think yoshi could f up everybody. But no. He still needs help in some match ups were the odds are just to great. Now no i didnt drop him. But u better believe ive picked up to secondary characters to help him out. An thats all their there to do. Is help. I would never drop yoshi. F that.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I know some people who **** with low tiers, but as it turns out, the top tier characters are top tier for a reason... Unfortunately, my Luigi, Pika, and M2 can't win tourneys, only occasional matchups, while my Falco tends to do any major victories. Le sigh.

edit : holycrap Yoshido we posted at the same time almost, it's those Columbia MINDGAMES

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
It's really never been a problem for me lol. I've been using Fox and CF since SSB, and not because of the tier list (lol, didn't even know there was one back then), it was because I wanted to use them. Melee came and I started to use Marth and Falco, and once again, this was before I knew of the Tier List.

Strangely enough, Tiers have influenced me the opposite way: My friends all use Link because he's the highest ranked Low Tier, so it's forced me to take up Bowser, Pikachu, and Ness as Low Tier mains -_-

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Well, I still main FAlco, but I use Ganon as a secondary, who isn't a really high teir, but high tier. I'm also sorta good with Mario, kirby, and jiggz.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Well, my mains are Ice Climbers, Ness, GaW and Ylink. My secondaries are MArio, Mewtwo, Bowser and DK. I feel Marth creeping up with his High-tiered-ness though.. lol

The funny thing is, If I'm facing space animals, I'll use Ness and do relatively decent(Tailwhip/PK fire ko ftw!) but any other time(especially against a link or samus) I'll do really bad. I don't feel myself improving with Ness at all but I'm determined to stick with him. Because he's hella fun.

I guess it's stagnation that's discouraging me....

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Well I consider myself a G&W main (probably what i'm most known for), but when it comes to tournaments I play Samus and Ice Climbers, and rarely use G&W. I picked up Samus and IC (and some other higher tiers) a while back as an alternative to G&W because to be blunt, I wanted to use a better character. G&W's my favorite character and the character I know best, but I just do so much better with Samus and IC. I love playing Samus almost as much as G&W though, so don't think I'm just forcing myself to use them. Actually, I absolutely hate playing as IC, but I will use them if I need to because they serve me well in tourneys. Samus is fun. Sometimes I think to myself: "Why use G&W when I can use Samus?" Samus is just so good, she was also my main in SSB.

At this point I mostly play G&W in friendlies for novelty and to show off that I'm really good at G&W. I might counterpick a fastfaller with him in tourneys though.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I don't really play low tier for the sake of playing low tier. I'm just better with my low tiers. I play Peach sometimes too, but I'm so much better with my low tiers that there's really no point (aside from having fun, when i don't care about the outcome of the match). I'm not on any kind of "mission" or some other crap.. I just like range, power, and floatiness of my characters, which is something that high tiers don't have.

Zone

Smash Champion
I don't really play low tier for the sake of playing low tier. I'm just better with my low tiers. I play Peach sometimes too, but I'm so much better with my low tiers that there's really no point (aside from having fun, when i don't care about the outcome of the match). I'm not on any kind of "mission" or some other crap.. I just like range, power, and floatiness of my characters, which is something that high tiers don't have.
I know where you're coming from, but you're probably better with low tiers, because you play them way more than high tiers. I sucked with fox forever, but I practiced some tech skill with him. and learned how to incorporate it into my game, and now my fox is getting better. Not better than My Zelda yet.. but that's only because I spent like half a year just developing Zelda cuz I thought she was the character for me. But I'm still picking up Marth and Fox, although they are kinda fun to play, I need them to balance my match ups vs opponents.

I guess what I'm saying is, even though ur just better with your low tiers than high tiers. It can be switched with practice.

But why switch if your enjoying yourself? I like playing Zelda, I bust her out in tournaments sometimes vs Peach, Ganon(Sometimes being shiek >.>), Captain Falcon, Falco(When I get power shielding down 100%) ; ;

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
FYI, I've ALWAYS played Marth and Fox in tourney and RARELY Mewtwo. Just because I play Mewtwo all the time in friendlies and it's what I'm most well known for doesn't mean I should be exlcusive. It's annoying to me personally to have to do fan service ALL the time for my Mewtwo.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm honored that so many people enjoy watching my Mewtwo, and I do love to play Mewtwo when I can, but people need to understand that I'm also looking to place in tournaments, and it's very well possible for me to drop unnecessary games if I pick Mewtwo exlcusively. Where as my Marth has gotten much better and I've done well at Pound 2 and FCD with him.

Zone

Smash Champion
FYI, I've ALWAYS played Marth and Fox in tourney and RARELY Mewtwo. Just because I play Mewtwo all the time in friendlies and it's what I'm most well known for doesn't mean I should be exlcusive. It's annoying to me personally to have to do fan service ALL the time for my Mewtwo.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm honored that so many people enjoy watching my Mewtwo, and I do love to play Mewtwo when I can, but people need to understand that I'm also looking to place in tournaments, and it's very well possible for me to drop unnecessary games if I pick Mewtwo exlcusively. Where as my Marth has gotten much better and I've done well at Pound 2 and FCD with him.
lol, Agreed. You play what you feel comfortable with winning right? Until u randomly some how feel really comfortable with winning with mewtwo for money, it's fox and marth.

I pick marth over Zelda ALOT, because of my fear of losing with Zelda far outweighs my fear of losing with Marth. Only reason I pick Zelda over fox, is because I'm not failure free from making mistakes yet on fox.

Why give up big bucks if you can win it, by not being exclusive.

ksadkiller

Smash Apprentice
i think people are dropping their low tier mains because they realize that you can only be so good with a low tier. but dont get me wrong i love low tier players

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
When it comes to tourneys, I'm gonna use Samus and IC. But in friendlies, I use G&W. I just place better if I use the better characters. Tier whoring, call it what you want. I just wanna do well in tourneys.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
Odd. I dropped maining pichu yesterday and just went right back with Fox/sheik again.

After like a year of playing him, got tired of losing or just barely winning.

Zone

Smash Champion
I first started out with Falco, but I didn't have that much fun with him over time.

I picked Yoshi, Kirby, Ice Climbers, and Mario because I have the most fun with them. Unless you're that desperate to win, you should only pick a character that you enjoy using.
Agreed as well lol,

It depends on what ur aiming for.

Fun? Pick your favorite characters at tournaments.

Winning money? Pick characters you know you can win with in w/e situation.

Challenge? Pick the worse matchup for yourself intentionally just to see how far u can get? if that excites you go for it.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
yep. higher tiers feel more natural after you dwelve into the game for certain people

roy/link
to
marth/falco/fox

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Um, i used fox and sheik ever since i can remember. Fox in ssb as well. I think that moet people pick higher tier characters because when they are first trying to find a character to be good with, they want a character thats good. And even without the tier list, the majority of people are better with higher tier characters. It also doenst help that ness pikachu and kirby were the best in ssb but in melee they are not that good. xP

ThE SubjEct

Smash Rookie
My lower tier characters are Ness and Mewtwo; but haven't been playing them lately since i've met marth.

Top Bottom