• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[LoLiS] MI Circuit (Ann Arbor) MISSION COMPLETE; Total: $5030($1081)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Good **** to everyone that came, with special thanks to Juggleguy, Panda, WTP, and everyone who brought a TV, and even more everyone who brought a TV and didn't leave.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
will someone link to the results thread (if one is going to be made) when it's up?

great tourney everyone. shoutout to kels for ****** my entire pool, dope for running train, juggle for recording, and everyone who ***** me either in or out of pools. great fun.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Cool venue, good turnout,
Ill be sure to bring a brawl setup next time, that was pretty ridiculous only having like 4 setups... Also I think it may be a good idea to make it be top 3 out of pools..I know for a fact at least 6 people that wont come again if it stays top 2...just a thought.

MarkLoo

Smash Ace
Cool venue, good turnout,
Ill be sure to bring a brawl setup next time, that was pretty ridiculous only having like 4 setups... Also I think it may be a good idea to make it be top 3 out of pools..I know for a fact at least 6 people that wont come again if it stays top 2...just a thought.
if we have a turnout over 32 again, then yea i agree, but if it's like 20-30 like i think it will be, keep it top 16
oh except you're talkin about brawl, but i think this applies to melee too

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
also you should lower brawl singles to 1 stock so the matches don't take 15 minutes each. haha. brawl singles was soooooooooo long.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And no, we're not doing anything bigger than top 16 brackets. If you think you deserve to get into brackets then step it ups~.
We already went two hours past time with top 16 brackets, cutting into a top 24 isn't going to be doing ourselves any favors.

Arc_Revived

Smash Journeyman
We already went two hours past time with top 16 brackets, cutting into a top 24 isn't going to be doing ourselves any favors.
You have to take into consideration that we didn't really start in time as we were waiting on people, as well as the fact that there weren't nearly enough setups when pools starts. there were maybe four TV's for Brawl Singles Pools, while the other ones were being used for Melee. I think a 24 person bracket would work out if A. You stick to the the time schedule(although, when does this actually happen?) and B. If more people bring setups.

All in all, a great tourney, but I agree with Iris on the brackets. And more setups would make it work. Either way, I'll see you all in a couple of weeks and I will be stepping my game up!

IrisKong

Smash Lord
We started 2 hours late, thats why the time went over, and we had a stupid amount of setups (4). Im sure im sounding b!tchy but if its going to stay top 2, I wont be attending anymore, I know several others that would be doing the same. If you are going to be so strict on brackets, be strict on the time and start when you are supposed to, to bad if people show up late (sorry everyone who drove with panda, i would say it for anyone, including myself). Sounds like johns but half the bracket is already determined because michigan has alot of the best players in the midwest. Lain, Anther, Omni, Judge, Mikey, panda, not to mention M2K is planning on attending regularly, thats a 4th of the bracket every time because im sure you guys wont put them in the same pool together. I know Lain anther and judge were not there this time, but we had M2K and ally to make up for them, haha. I dunno, guess we will see what happens, good luck in the future!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I'd consider running a top 24 bracket iff there were at least twice as many setups.

It ran 2 hours past the target ending time. The common against argument is: "we started late and people showed up late". I ran pools so that late showers didn't impact it AT ALL. We also started ~1 hour late. I also skipped the 1 hour break in the schedule to make up for that. I would imagine more than 6 people wouldn't come if it were going to last to 2. Also the venue doesn't allow that.

I can say that there will be no mercy for DQs in the future for being late, and there will be no starting time mercy either.

Also, I'm considering a system for venue fee waiving where you get your venue fee reimbursed after the tourney for bringing a tv/setup. Thoughts?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
What purpose does that serve? Wouldn't that just make more hassle for you and the people who get the fee waved?

IrisKong

Smash Lord
I'd consider running a top 24 bracket iff there were at least twice as many setups.

It ran 2 hours past the target ending time. The common against argument is: "we started late and people showed up late". I ran pools so that late showers didn't impact it AT ALL. We also started ~1 hour late. I also skipped the 1 hour break in the schedule to make up for that. I would imagine more than 6 people wouldn't come if it were going to last to 2. Also the venue doesn't allow that.

I can say that there will be no mercy for DQs in the future for being late, and there will be no starting time mercy either.

Also, I'm considering a system for venue fee waiving where you get your venue fee reimbursed after the tourney for bringing a tv/setup. Thoughts?
I wouldnt agree with the reimbursed thing, it would force people to stay long long long after they wanted to. I personally would not want to stay an extra 5 hours if I got knocked out early Or if I didnt want to stay for both events.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I mean, Brainjack and I had to leave because his parents were coming to his apartment. There wasn't really anything we could do about that. He brought a TV that was used for almost the whole tourney, and when we took it, it was being used for friendlies anyway.

Boxxy

Smash Lord
i can probably bring a set up to the next one i go to, but the tv is small >.>

but i'll bring it no matter what

SCOTU

Smash Hero
For the most part, I dont' think the reimburse idea is a good one, but also for the most part, people who bring TVs tend to be the ones that are planning on staying a long time. But yeah, we basically need more TVs and we need the TVs to not leave 1/2 way through the tourney.

INB4 more people bracket means TVs last longer: assuming the people who didn't make it out of pools will do "appropriately" in bracket, the same people will be leaving at the same ratio into the tourney, we just added an extra 24 matches to the time. At the beginning.

In fact, the whole cut in pools is the difference between playing two extra games in bracket or not. You still get more circuit points for placing in 3rd seed than placing in 4th/lower, it just makes things go faster, and let's you leave earlier if you want. Making it into top 24 bracket as a 3rd seed isn't really different than placing 17th by getting 3rd seed in pools. Full results are listed even for the top16 bracket cuts.

MarkLoo

Smash Ace
3rd seed would get to play two more sets, at the very least, and could also advance further if they pulled an upset over a higher seed. saying that it saves the player time to cut them out of brackets is like saying they have no chance of winning another match in brackets, nor will they learn anything from the matches.

Arc_Revived

Smash Journeyman
3rd seed would get to play two more sets, at the very least, and could also advance further if they pulled an upset over a higher seed. saying that it saves the player time to cut them out of brackets is like saying they have no chance of winning another match in brackets, nor will they learn anything from the matches.
Agreed. I know there are people who may place higher in terms of seeding, but I can beat. I surprised Panda at GYGO when I faced him first round. Pools are great, don't get me wrong. They even out brackets, give people more matches and make for an overall better tourney. However, at least for me, pools always feel very rushed to get into then and to get out. As SCOTU said, pools lets you leave early if you want, but who honestly comes to these tournaments just to leave earlier? People come to have fun and last as long as they can, all while spending time with good people and to play their favorite game. At least I do.

I'm just ranting now, but I'm sure there will be more debate about pools/brackets/etc. over the course of the circuit. I trust you guys will make a good decision for the majority of the players who want to come to these, not just the few elite. It is good to hear that there will be no tolerance for being late. Also, I'll probably end up bringing two setups with brawl next time so this can be run more smoothly as well as more setups for friendlies while matches are going on.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
People don't WANT to leave earlier, but sometimes they have other things they want to do at night or have other things they have to do that day.

BigDaddy4

Smash Journeyman
Oh and is there parking on site or is there a lot close by? I'm sorry if this has been answered before but i didnt show to the last one and i dont check smashboards that often. I hope this isnt like GYGO where i had to park like 10 minutes away from the store.

Top Bottom