• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Potential Changes in My Homebrew-Smash

[reposted from AllisBrawl, 'cause SWF-goers actually respond to these threads]

Yo! I'm making a homebrew-DS Smash ("Smash Riot"), and when I get bored with programming—or I know that I'm so distracted that if I don't capitalize on the slightest bit of given attention then I'll never get to it—I like to get some input on how to improve the characters. While I dislike tiers, I acknowledge that they're real (and indicative of bad game-design). My goal is to just break everyone to the point that being top-tier ultimately means jack squat.

One thing to start with is that there will NOT be two Links in Riot: there's no mechanical need for more than one. Whatever strengths Young/Toon Link had will be integrated into… the remaining Link. Well! Since I wanna keep my coding-momentum going, let's just crank out a list and be done with this!

Mirror-Shield
Instead of the normal shield, Link'll have his mirror-shield: projectile-reflection FTW, right? Wouldn't it be cool if an idle Link pseudo-powershielded (only works on weak attacks) all frontal attacks? The animation'd be weird, but a fancy clash-effect would obscure that well enough. (Would the powershield-thing really be all that different from what the shield already does?)

No Free-Fall; and Melee-Style Hooking
There'll be no free-fall in Riot, and Link will certainly benefit from that: with a wall-grabbing hook, Link will be HARD to kill (unless you're Bowser, of course). Oh! And that lame grab-whiff lag is going away.

Controllable Arrow-Tension
With the arrow:
  • Press 'back' while holding B to instantly charge the arrow.
  • Press/hold 'forward' while holding B to reset arrow-tension.
That's gotta be nice.

Lasers!
Like in ye olde Zeldas, Link's sword will shoot lasers! (It's easier to code than it sounds!) The laser will degrade as Link's damage-percentage goes up, instead of only working when he's in perfect shape. I figured the "laser" would be more of a range-extension than a full-on projectile (think, like, a lightsaber attached to the end of the Master Sword) but still…!

Multi-Hitting Gale-Boomerang Return
On it's return, the Gale Boomerang will be a multi-hitting object; perhaps with a vacuum stronger than before, to hinder SDI somewhat.

Discuss. What sort of things from the Link-alternatives do you want to see in Riot-Link? *runs back to coding-environment*

Oh! Progress? I've gotten movement settled, and input's not troubling me, so I'm going to write a data-loader so that EPIC SQUARE-BATTLES may soon ensue.

mackman

Smash Cadet
i;m not sure we want the dair spike, since that will limit its ability to kill over the stage... but then what do i know? i agree with the up+b pseudo spike. This is gonna be awesome.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Make it so that his B is his final smash, except it hits at a downward angle so it's guaranteed to kill people XD

But seriously, give his up+B more distance so he can recover better lol

sasook

Smash Champion
Dtilt spike over dair spike. Slow fall dairs are too good to remove.

Bring back scrahhh and all it's glory. Put some fire/ice/bomb arrows. Put back bomb jumping. More distance on his recovery, vertically and horizontally.

That's all I can think of.

Bouse

Smash Ace
I sense an epic build-up to an April Fool's joke...

That could just be my other personality talking though.

If you want an honest opinion on balancing the game, you need to take it and test it with actual gamers for at least a month or two until the game is released to the public. Keep an open mind to their criticism and if anything understand that you're actually designing for a portable system. It'll be all silly and **** yo.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
For some reason I just can't stop laughing at the fact that it's called a "Homebrew smash" lol. Don't get me wrong I understand why it's called homebrew...it's just..:laugh:

But anyways I'd say keep the lag on Link's grab to balance the fact that his grab has a good range. Yea definately improve Link's upB recovery...PLEASE! Bomb jumping back or if you can't you can always decrease the timer on the bomb by like a second or something. Give the rang the same damage it does in Melee.
That's all I got so far

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Enlarge the boomerang and increase the range and damage so it's like the one fron N64 Smash.

sasook

Smash Champion
The grab can have the lag it did in Smash64. In and out, never touching the ground.

Heck, the lag was better in Melee, even. The range was better in melee too...

Melee.....

I want scrahhhh back more than anything.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
The grab can have the lag it did in Smash64. In and out, never touching the ground.

Heck, the lag was better in Melee, even. The range was better in melee too...

Melee.....

I want scrahhhh back more than anything.
Hey what's wrong with his AYYEEEEEEA! It's manly, it's from TP, and uses more vowels :laugh:

sasook

Smash Champion
I don't mind eyahhhh, it's just....

scrahhh is so much more....broken.

And I like OoT better than TP anyway.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice

Hahahaha so sig worthy *adds onto signature*
But I have to agree OoT was tonnes better than TP
Oh well I guess having scrahhh back is ok...only because he uses eyahhh on his dsmash :laugh:

Lemonwater

Smash Ace

And I like OoT better than TP anyway.
lmao that was the best thing I read all day.

I missed SCRAAAAAAI so much when Brawl came out, but I've grown to like EYIAHHHHHH

And it sort of makes sense to deepen Link's voice. He matured more and became manlier in the transition between Melee and Brawl! What didn't make sense was Bowser's sounds being changed. He sounded more intimidating and cooler in Melee.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
wow, link will be sexy in the brawl hack.
Link's rocked my socks since N64 :laugh:
(although he was slightly malformed and ugly in Melee)
He's already the greatest thing ever in Brawl. Brawl Link deserves more fangirls than Marth =D

galekill

Banned via Administration
Could you then port the game to this device?

www.openpandora.org

that device is much stronger btw and is fully opensource which makes it a better enviroment for a homebrew game actually.

and for link i want to be able to walk around when Im charging the up B also I want the up B to Increase in range when you are charging it, like it was in OoT, first blue then orange. Also I want links hover boots so you can walk off from the stage when edgeguarding(similar to peaches float edgeguard but with ground attacks). mkae the dtilt spike hit. Also bombarrows when holding a bomb and firing an arrow. And make it possible for link to use both of his clawshots(so that if he misses one when grabbing he still can guard himself by throwing out another still laggy ranged grab at either side) also link should be able to aim his grab somehow. his galerang should be a little (not fully but when it comes closer than a certain distance to some things)homing and also pick up items not just pushing them around. also make it possible for link to bombplant bombs at any surface.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
Could you then port the game to this device?

www.openpandora.org

that device is much stronger btw and is fully opensource which makes it a better enviroment for a homebrew game actually.

and for link i want to be able to walk around when Im charging the up B also I want the up B to Increase in range when you are charging it, like it was in OoT, first blue then orange. Also I want links hover boots so you can walk off from the stage when edgeguarding(similar to peaches float edgeguard but with ground attacks). mkae the dtilt spike hit. Also bombarrows when holding a bomb and firing an arrow. And make it possible for link to use both of his clawshots(so that if he misses one when grabbing he still can guard himself by throwing out another still laggy ranged grab at either side) also link should be able to aim his grab somehow. his galerang should be a little (not fully but when it comes closer than a certain distance to some things)homing and also pick up items not just pushing them around. also make it possible for link to bombplant bombs at any surface.
Ok that seems a bit too much for even a homebrewed Link to handle. Some of those ideas are good but a lot of them would make him too broken...which would suck because we'd be like Metaknight xD

galekill

Ok that seems a bit too much for even a homebrewed Link to handle. Some of those ideas are good but a lot of them would make him too broken...which would suck because we'd be like Metaknight xD
Did you see what the guys suggestions for Boozer was? like how he would live to 700% and his shell having hyper(WTF?) armor and so on.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
Did you see what the guys suggestions for Boozer was? like how he would live to 700% and his shell having hyper(WTF?) armor and so on.
Wow seriously? yeah I haven't really checked out the other boards so I really wouldn't know. In that case go crazy with your ideas...I still think that they'd make Link overly broken (just as the other characters) but if it's possible then go for it

Wow! That OpenPandora seems like a cool rig! I can see myself making projects on it. Unfortunately, porting Smash to OpenPandora opens the way to political complications of official adoption that are worth more than the principle of openness: a closed console's hacked, eventually, anyway.

Walking off the stage, eh? That's pretty cool. Running and wavedashing won't trigger hovering; only walking. The other ideas do push Link into brain-dead territory, though: except the bomb-arrow idea, which I was thinking about implementing. :) Inching forward/backward while charging a grounded up-B doesn't seem too shabby, really: it may not be exactly what you envisioned, but it's something.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Off the bat, giving Link the ability to block attacks from the front doesn't seem very fair. However, giving him the mirror shield and making him more or less impervious to frontal projectiles doesn't sound too shabby. Just to balance things out a little, you could still possibly make Link's legs still vulnerable. BUT, if he ducks, that's all there is to it. No projectile is hitting him from the front.

One thing I'd like to see is the charged spinning ability that Link had in Wind Waker. That would make him MUCH more dangerous and give him more versatility since that attack while grounded is just kind of hit-or-miss at the moment.

galekill

Wow! That OpenPandora seems like a cool rig! I can see myself making projects on it. Unfortunately, porting Smash to OpenPandora opens the way to political complications of official adoption that are worth more than the principle of openness: a closed console's hacked, eventually, anyway.

Walking off the stage, eh? That's pretty cool. Running and wavedashing won't trigger hovering; only walking. The other ideas do push Link into brain-dead territory, though: except the bomb-arrow idea, which I was thinking about implementing. :) Inching forward/backward while charging a grounded up-B doesn't seem too shabby, really: it may not be exactly what you envisioned, but it's something.
actually the pandora is thought to be a homebrew device so as long that you dont earn any money on your nice creation there is nothing to be afraid of, also you could probably just drop the source code(if you want, and maybe by "accident") somewhere so can someone else port it. also a port shouldnt take to much time since both use ARM processors.(not that Im very good at programming but from what I understand it should be pretty simple)

Also I want link to utilize both clawshots somehow. Tell me what character you will do next, I could probably give you some more ideas.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Creating a Smash game takes groups of professionals a long time to do....working on this by yourself seems insane. But that's what makes it awesome.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
One question...

Do you have legal permission to even attempt this?:confused:

sasook

Smash Champion
How about walking while charging arrows? He could do it in the games....heck, in brawl you can do it with certain items, even.

No one's said remove the lag on the dair? Well....that might be a bit much, how about just lessening it? And make Link do the flip from TP when he does it (finishing blow, I think it was called?).

Someone figure out what a good move for the Helm Splitter would be.

One question...

Do you have legal permission to even attempt this?:confused:
Not really, no: but I also have no reason to obey the law. I'm already so poor that I have to get my lunch out of dumpsters, so why would I worry about a law-suit? Do you honestly think they'll care, either way?

Geez! Is this secretly the board for SWF's hardest cynics? :laugh:

dude no johns
Hm? I thought he was mistaking my project for something it wasn't.

galekill

Geez! Is this secretly the board for SWF's hardest cynics? :laugh:
"link sucks" most link mains
"link deserves last spot on the tier list" many link mains
we advice n00bs to play metaknight, or an other character you can win with instead of link.
we cant tell you any good thing about link
we hate gay cause he is too toon link
the only thing that is good with link is that HE IS FREAKIN LINK

most cynic on SWF? I think so

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
link's fair should be changed to helm splitter (like ike's fair) and have a spike in the middle of the animation. His dair should stay as it is. He needs his spin attack that he had in the beta of brawl ( i can post a link if u want [no pun intended]). Clawshot needs alot more range and link should be faster like he is in his games (he is in no way as slow in his games as he is in brawl).

Top Bottom