• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Link's Metagame Thread (Informative Quotes Can Be Found in the OP)

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Topics like this are to be discussed in the metagame thread. Expect this thread to be locked. Just copy-paste it onto the metagame thread to discuss it. Make sure to read the rules.

Welcome to the Link boards. :)

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
Now that we have an improved grab game and a reliable Usmash, I was hoping to see an updated list of combos and strings available to the hero of Hyrule. Anybody have one yet?

I'm happy to help compile one, though I'm having trouble finding a pre-1.08 list that I know is valid. I went through the stickied posts, but what I found was limited or fragmented.

Can anybody help out a bit?

Still valid: (if anybody lists some below, I'll add them here)
- forward bomb -> dash attack
- jab 1-2-3
- upward bomb -> uthrow

As for 1.08, the strings I've read about so far boil down to:

dthrow -> Usmash
dthrow -> utilt
dthrow -> hop Uair

Please forgive me if I'm posting wrong somehow; I've been a lurker, but I'm new around here. :)
dthrow -> nair works too.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Now that we have an improved grab game and a reliable Usmash, I was hoping to see an updated list of combos and strings available to the hero of Hyrule. Anybody have one yet?

I'm happy to help compile one, though I'm having trouble finding a pre-1.08 list that I know is valid. I went through the stickied posts, but what I found was limited or fragmented.

- jab 1-2-3
- upward bomb -> uthrow

dthrow -> Usmash
dthrow -> utilt
dthrow -> hop Uair

Please forgive me if I'm posting wrong somehow; I've been a lurker, but I'm new around here. :)
There was a post regarding all of Link's combos and strings before the patch a couple pages back. There certainly are more combos that can be done now than there were pre-patch.

Last edited:

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Hey guys!

Drigo here again to a new random play that MAYBE could be useful. If you get a bomb in your feet while you are throwing an enemy, you can wait for the explosion and throw your opponent horizontally instead of vertically. This is useful when you are near the ledge.

Here is a video of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ScrCG1PjKs

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193

- jab 1-2-3
- upward bomb -> uthrow

dthrow -> Usmash
dthrow -> utilt
dthrow -> hop Uair

Hey there. I think you missed my post above, but if you want to see what I've compiled so far, check it out.

http://smashboards.com/threads/link...-techniques-here.379659/page-29#post-19322376

I still need to test DI for some of the true combos, but for the most part, those combos work. I need to also add combos for dthrow and possibly dtilt now.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Hey guys!

Drigo here again to a new random play that MAYBE could be useful. If you get a bomb in your feet while you are throwing an enemy, you can wait for the explosion and throw your opponent horizontally instead of vertically. This is useful when you are near the ledge.

Here is a video of this:
Seemed somewhat situational, but that's still pretty sick.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
edit:
Sorry poster in wrong thread I didn't see this was the meta... you can violate this post how ever you want now

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
Guys im not sure if this my 3DS or something but when im playing against cpus(smash mode) it doesn't display my percentages but I went on training and did show them but when I went back to smash mode it still didn't show I tried turning off and on percentage display and also tried the score display and nothing changes

Is anyone else experiencing the same or similar problem
Somehow unsure how this affects our metagame.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I did some labbing. Link's new grab range (standing grab) makes it an excellent punish grab. If an attack hits Link's shield and Link grabs immediately after the grab range will work from where Link started. So even if Link is shield pushed back he can still grab moves like Ganon's Fsmash. If you start too late the grab will miss because the shield push moves Link too far back.
So if Link's shield is hit by a move with enough endlag (at least 12 frames) Link can grab to punish even if it has massive shield push.
The longer grab also is good for punishing missed attacks that have a lot of range like jab combos since the enemy is grabbed before being pulled into Link. If you have Link just outside of Shulk's Fsmash range so Fsmash barely wiffs Link's grab barely wiffs too; it's as long as Shulk's Fsmash. If Shulk Fsmashes and Link grabs at the same time Link will successfully grab Shulk since he leans forward.

Grab is by far Link's longest reaching ground move and we should take advantage of that. It's like Ganon's flame choke.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey guys!

Here is a video of this:
Actually we recently discussed this on the Toon boards. Essentially U-throw has two hitboxes, the first was designed to hit third parties, and then the second hit which follows immediately after hitstun on the one being thrown is designed for them. So yes, if you interrupt the throw with very precise timing in-between the two hits, you can send the opponent at that weird horizontal trajectory. Unless a more reliable set up is found however (perhaps with buffered inputs), this is a dead end imo just because of how precise the timing is.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Decided to try out :4link: after the patch and he feels great. Down Throw buff was just what he needed and the alterations made to his standing and dash grab are pretty great. I love his new D-Tilt now as well. Its a decent OOS option and Link can follow it up with an U-Air / F-air.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Actually we recently discussed this on the Toon boards. Essentially U-throw has two hitboxes, the first was designed to hit third parties, and then the second hit which follows immediately after hitstun on the one being thrown is designed for them. So yes, if you interrupt the throw with very precise timing in-between the two hits, you can send the opponent at that weird horizontal trajectory. Unless a more reliable set up is found however (perhaps with buffered inputs), this is a dead end imo just because of how precise the timing is.
Do you know the window? The amount of frames?

It seems that bombslide + 2 grabbed hits are the needed time for Link's bomb to explode (dunno with toon link, as it has a greater explosion time)...

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I did some labbing. Link's new grab range (standing grab) makes it an excellent punish grab. If an attack hits Link's shield and Link grabs immediately after the grab range will work from where Link started. So even if Link is shield pushed back he can still grab moves like Ganon's Fsmash. If you start too late the grab will miss because the shield push moves Link too far back.
So if Link's shield is hit by a move with enough endlag (at least 12 frames) Link can grab to punish even if it has massive shield push.
The longer grab also is good for punishing missed attacks that have a lot of range like jab combos since the enemy is grabbed before being pulled into Link. If you have Link just outside of Shulk's Fsmash range so Fsmash barely wiffs Link's grab barely wiffs too; it's as long as Shulk's Fsmash. If Shulk Fsmashes and Link grabs at the same time Link will successfully grab Shulk since he leans forward.

Grab is by far Link's longest reaching ground move and we should take advantage of that. It's like Ganon's flame choke.
Imo, grabs in this patch make up for jab 1 cancels very well. People really have to be careful about wiffing moves anywhere near Link now, because not only does our grab cover lots of range, but we can rack damage with Dthrow combos and can even use it as a kill setup into Uair. Not even other zoning characters are completely safe, since if they land inside of our grab range while using a projectile or something, depending on how much lag an opponent is stuck in after using the move, we can just grab them out of a shield or spot dodge. And like you basically just said, we can safely punish a lot more wiffed moves from a distance (even while the move's hitboxes are still active) now with no risk of getting hit, because our grab will almost always be able to out-range that said move. Our grab might also be good at covering an opponent's landings. Especially if we find that they have a habit of landing with aerials which we can punish by grabbing them while they're stuck in landing lag, or while they are still in the air.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
The OP has been fully updated.

A couple of things:
- Check out the OP even if you've been here the whole time as there are still quite a few gaps in the meta that need to be filled, e.g. some moves that have no real discussion (see the third post) and some aspects of the meta that have received little or no attention (see the second post).
- Since the patch there are a few things that are behind now. Specifically I would invite @ Knife8193 Knife8193 to do some combo tests on D-tilt and D-throw seeing as you did such an excellent job with the testing and write-up for the combos last time. Take your time of course.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
We all know that For Glory isn't the best testing grounds, but since that, and a little bit of offline playing, is all I have at my disposal at the moment I'm going to mention some of the things I noticed regarding our newfound grab game.

D-throw is very read heavy. Learn the habits of your opponent. Do the d-throw->u-tilt-> as many u-tilts as you can->maybe u-smash if their DI is bad. If they air dodge early, they'll land in front of you and you have a guaranteed forward smash, unless they DI towards you (because our forward smash doesn't like it when our opponent is right next to us, apparently), but then you can just do f-tilt or d-tilt. If they're a captain falcon or a heavy fastfaller at 0%, you should probably up-tilt once then down tilt to a followup or just our basic jab combo, since falcon has a quick jab and will hit you before you can land another u-tilt (haven't tested regrab but that seems like it would still be within the "no regrabs" window considering they've only been hit by one u-tilt). If they double jump immediately, regrab them on landing until they've been conditioned to spot dodge on landing, in which case you get a free forward smash.

At higher percents, you have to read their DI. If they DI towards you, u-air is very easy to hit. If they DI away from you, a fair or an up-b can be used. Don't up-b fast fallers though (notably sheik), as they'll fall right through it and can punish you on landing.

As far as the actual grabbing goes, I've found that if you want a extra amount of range on your grab, you can get a little dash grab slide in a stationary location if you input a grab with the kara smash inputs - except instead of pressing your attack button, you input your grab right after you input your final dash direction. Otherwise you'll just dash attack, which we don't want. Technically we could do a pivot grab with almost the same inputs as that has slightly more range than our regular grab, but I've found that the standing sliding grab (boost grab?) is much more useful. It does have the dash grab cooldown though, so if you're not sure it will land, just use the regular grab.

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
So I did some testing with Link's dtilt to fair. I tested it on Mario with no DI. It registered as a combo.

-Dtilt to both hits of fair works from 0-30%.
-Dtilt to first hit of fair works from 0-50%

Dtilt > Both hits of fair = 29% Damage!

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Two notes from tourney yesterday:
1. Our Dtilt spike is still very present, I killed a Lucas with it when he was at 120%. It was on Smashville, he was the ledge ready to rope and I was standing quite a bit back from the ledge. (His response: ":O ... That SPIKES!?") I was planning to just hit him up for a Fair or Uair.
2. I had two kills in a set against a Luigi through Z-dropping a bomb from a ledge-jump. In one instance, he was under me and had high percents, it blasted him up and I could quickly land and Ftilt him. In the second instance, he was standing next to the ledge: it blasted him up and I fastfalled Uair for the kill. Again: I can not under-emphasize how useful it is and how often I do it.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Pfft missed Scizor footage how could I -- if you're going to play Link in teams, do it like this:

Scizor:4link:/:4greninja: + S2H:4metaknight: vs Larry:4fox:+ Terry:4mario:
16 February 2015 Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59jJ2qWflCg

Scizor:4link: + S2H:4metaknight:vs Zenyou:4mario:+ Bam:4sonic:
16 February 2015 Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6bfSZXKK-M

Plus as a treat for DD there's a bomb "shine" here.

An upward bombslide to Dsmash here.
Scizor still plays? Where's he been lately? Haven't really seen him on the forums.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Two notes from tourney yesterday:
1. Our Dtilt spike is still very present, I killed a Lucas with it when he was at 120%. It was on Smashville, he was the ledge ready to rope and I was standing quite a bit back from the ledge. (His response: ":O ... That SPIKES!?") I was planning to just hit him up for a Fair or Uair.
I also spiked an opponent in pools, but they were landing, and I spiked them into the stage. Followed up with an f-smash and took a stock that way.

I was so shocked it actually spiked, especially since we were onstage. Maybe the hitboxes were changed?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So I thought of a chain grab/combo that might work now. You may or may not have seen me theorizing about it pre-patch. However, with the change in trajectory, the chain will be more difficult to perform. Now I'd imagine the combo would only work from early to mid %s (depending on the opponent's wight), but it could be a good damage racking tool. It's possible that opponents can escape the chain early given their weight and DI, so yeah.

Anyways, the theoretical chain goes like this: Dthrow > RAR/turn around Bair > grab > repeat

Would someone mind labbing this for me?

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
So I thought of a chain grab/combo that might work now. You may or may not have seen me theorizing about it pre-patch. However, with the change in trajectory, the chain will be more difficult to perform. Now I'd imagine the combo would only work from early to mid %s (depending on the opponent's wight), but it could be a good damage racking tool. It's possible that opponents can escape the chain early given their weight and DI, so yeah.

Anyways, the theoretical chain goes like this: Dthrow > RAR/turn around Bair > grab > repeat

Would someone mind labbing this for me?
I don't even need to lab that. The lack of hitstun after bairing and our high-frame grab wouldn't make this possible. Any jab is capable of beating our grab, because no jab takes 12 frames to come out.

However, at low percents it is possible to grab->u-tilt->grab if you're facing a heavy that likes to shield. But once again, they can just roll behind you on landing and punish. So, only regrab if you know they'll shield.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I don't even need to lab that. The lack of hitstun after bairing and our high-frame grab wouldn't make this possible. Any jab is capable of beating our grab, because no jab takes 12 frames to come out.

However, at low percents it is possible to grab->u-tilt->grab if you're facing a heavy that likes to shield. But once again, they can just roll behind you on landing and punish. So, only regrab if you know they'll shield.
Ah, thanks. I haven't played in a while.

Edit: If Jab 1 has been completely re-worked, then is it possible to jab lock like in Brawl? Someone should get on this one for sure.

Lastly, we could have some neat bomb follow-ups with Dthrow as long as threre's a grounded bomb near by to pick up/Z-catch/instant toss. With our massive grab range, I don't see this being too far off to set up.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I labbed D-throw pretty heavily today. Quick tips:

D-throw -> D-tilt works on Ganon and Falcon.

It's best to start D-throw -> U-tilt at around 10% on midweight floaties like Mario, Luigi, and Villager. Around 12% for someone like Yoshi. This is where you don't trade hits with their N-airs.

D-throw -> B reverse Up-B is the most reliable combo on Fox at 0%.

D-throw -> Bomb -> D-tilt is really helpful against both Fox and Sheik for starting really big true combos at 0%

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
I've practiced against one of the best players in Chile. He normally destroy me Sheik vs Link. This time, I could win some matches and it was so much fair.

Dthrow -> Usmash is feasible in early %, but no in 0%, as Sheik can simply Nair us (i recommend to shield it and respond acordly). In later % (around 50%-60%) you can Dthrow into Fair. Later on we will wiff, but we could jump to force a DJ and then grab/dash attack/force an airdodge landing. You can Hoo-Haa with Uair in 100%~ (I didn't test the exact percentage).

Also, i tested a shield breaker combo. If the opponent is shielding near you, with a bomb in your hand you can: Short Hop->Bomb Dthrow->Nair (catch the bomb) -> FF -> Spin Attack.
This combo get around 60%->75% of the opp. shield. Also, it is relatively safe as the bomb will explode save us a punishement of the opponent if it fails. If you jump a little away and the bomb explote, you can also preassure the shield with jabs into Dsmash (the grab after jab 2 is not feasible for the opp. as you are not as near).

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
I labbed D-throw pretty heavily today. Quick tips:

D-throw -> D-tilt works on Ganon and Falcon.

It's best to start D-throw -> U-tilt at around 10% on midweight floaties like Mario, Luigi, and Villager. Around 12% for someone like Yoshi. This is where you don't trade hits with their N-airs.

D-throw -> B reverse Up-B is the most reliable combo on Fox at 0%.

D-throw -> Bomb -> D-tilt is really helpful against both Fox and Sheik for starting really big true combos at 0%
Did some testing as well and D-throw -> D-tilt does not work on Falcon, he can jump out of it. Jab or utilt however does work.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Did some testing as well and D-throw -> D-tilt does not work on Falcon, he can jump out of it. Jab or utilt however does work.
An immediate tilt does work, but you have to follow it up with something as most falcons will try to land and punish you. that's when we should use our jab or dtilt.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If he jumps during the first U-tilt, he gets auto-juggled for free til like 40% and then basically eats a Smash no matter which way he tries to land without a jump. So actually he doesn't want to do that (ideally iirc he would try to shield or jump out of the 2nd U-tilt, I forget exactly), making the mixup into D-tilt legitimate given the low% followups from D-tilt are better. Once you connect the D-tilt, you can get F-air, and then he's in a position where you either have enough time to F-smash him, or you can chase his jump. You're extremely likely to instantly put Falcon offstage with D-throw -> D-tilt setups, which is something worth considering given Link has strong edgeguard options.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
If he jumps during the first U-tilt, he gets auto-juggled for free til like 40% and then basically eats a Smash no matter which way he tries to land without a jump. So actually he doesn't want to do that (ideally iirc he would try to shield or jump out of the 2nd U-tilt, I forget exactly), making the mixup into D-tilt legitimate given the low% followups from D-tilt are better. Once you connect the D-tilt, you can get F-air, and then he's in a position where you either have enough time to F-smash him, or you can chase his jump. You're extremely likely to instantly put Falcon offstage with D-throw -> D-tilt setups, which is something worth considering given Link has strong edgeguard options.
It's a mixup, a 50/50, the way you worded it in your post made it sound like it was guaranteed. If the falcon does not double jump and he gets hit with dtilt -> fair, he is going to eat 35% damage. If he does double jump and gets caught with it from an utilt he'll eat atleast 15%, the next utilt he can airdodge and run away. If you expect the airdodge you can instead of another utilt you can fsmash which gives about 35% damage or you could grab him again and dthrow -> usmash for 38% (he can also airdodge the first hit to end up with 35% and he can jump away). To me it sounds better for Falcon to double jump, it gives him more options to get out before going over 35% damage. He might get away with no damage if you try to dtilt him. If he fails getting out he won't eat much more than 35% anyway. He can airdodge or attack to mix up his get away.

But I won't say much more than this, it is getting too theorycrafty for my liking. Better to try it out on actual opponents.

and in my previous post the first utilt or jab is guaranteed, he can't jump or airdodge. It's guaranteed damage for us which is possible to extend to 35% instead of risking doing no damage at all.

Last edited:

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I'm going to buy a capture device and record dthrow scenarios (DI for the most part) because people need to know what's true, and what's simply a read or mixup.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm going to buy a capture device and record dthrow scenarios (DI for the most part) because people need to know what's true, and what's simply a read or mixup.
Better idea: wait for youtube sharing and save money.

If it's anything like MK8 youtube sharing, it will be a free way to save footage in HD quality.

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
I put this in the patch thread but it probably fits better here. It's very situational, but can be useful.
I've done some testing and I can confirm that our dtilt's spike/meteor hitboxes are still there, but the hitboxes have been changed again. You can test this by setting the CPU to jump and spacing yourself so that the tip of the sword will hit your opponent just as they're about to land on the ground. In other words, it appears that the new hitboxes are the entirety of the tip of the sword, instead of just the underside.

That's right. Our dtilt can now spike our opponents into the ground while they're landing or jumping. At lower-mid-(character dependent)high percents, it's nothing more than a soft spike. They can't tech it and can act immediately out of it. But if your opponent doesn't expect to be spiked (which isn't uncommon), it can mess with their timing and you get a free grab or well-spaced f-smash. On larger characters and slow fallers, it's easier to hit the spike because timing is more lenient. On faster fallers, timing is very difficult, but since the cooldown on our dtilt is good now we can whiff and shield and be pretty much safe. If you mistime the dtilt but still hit them, they're now above you and you can follow up as normal.

When it meteors, the likelihood of your opponent teching the ground out of it is slim, so you get a free fsmash which should net you the stock, due to the meteor hit% being around the kill % for our fsmash. Come characters can fall out of the second hit of our fsmash though (**** you kirby) so an ftilt on floaty characters with few hitboxes will hit and possibly kill.

I went ahead and tested the percents where the meteor starts on a few characters. The rest of the cast will fall somewhere in-between them.
Jigglypuff: 92%
Mario: 110%
Bowser: 129%

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
So I was testing dtilt follow up again. I was able to combo usmash from dtilt. I was testing it on Lucario with no DI. It works from 0-10%. After 10%, it whiffs after the first hit of usmash.

Top Bottom