• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match-up Thread: Ryu would like an answer to a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Im assuming you mean Yoshi, since i think hes the first person Link runs into. I ran into a bunch of Yoshi's recently too. So i could possibly help.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I vote Yoshi. When I played Volt Ano (or something), a good Yoshi main he really surprised me. Good Yoshis have interesting tactics.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Especially on slope covered stages. He might be able to make use of Brinstar almost as well as Link. Due to the slopes for Dspecial and semi permeable stage.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I think the MU is in IC favor imo. Not pinning any ratios since I'm horrible at this kind of stuff. x.x

ICs will never be desynced when they are far away from you since it's like Nana saying "get at me". The biggest problem with Link is that a lot of his moves have some considerable cooldown. So most times in close range ICs can just dash into shield and it's almost a lose lose situation for link. If he grabs a climber, then he gets attacked by the free climber. And the climbers have enough momentum from their slide to get a grab. A lot of what link can do in the air is also risky. Link's best bet against climbers is staying in a range where ICs IBs and such are too risky to use, and to try and keep that space. But that space is really hard to maintain if the ICs can perfectshield well.

Heh, that's all I have. X_X

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
IC's have Link pinned down in this MU.:urg:

Your best options are Zair(obv.), Bair, and Nair; Avoid using Dair, Uair(lol), Spin Attack, or Grabs.

Space the crap outta everything with Zair, and pull some bombs.
I think Bdacus may come in handy after a dodge, and buffering in general is a good option as well.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

I was certain i said avoid using Spin Attack...

Anyway, best KO option for this MU: Fsmash, Dsmash.

Best Rackers fot this MU: Zair, Bombs, Quickdraw, Bair, Nair, Utilt, Usmash, occasional Boomerang(You can throw it and have the ICs get pulled with the boomerang on return, leaving you with Rang lag, and open Grab or KO option for ICs)

Best offensive: advancing Zair
Best defensive: retreating Zair

Combo starter(s): Zair, Utilt, Bair, Nair

Combo finisher(s): Bomb(s), Usmash, Dsmash, AC-Fair, AC-Dair(If you can time it)

To sum, stay within the range of ICs where Ice Blocks are a no-no, and grabs won't reach. Highly reccomending alternating with Defensive and Offensive Zair, and whenever you see Ice Blocks, crouch.

DO NOT ALWAYS TETHER RECOVER VS ICs! Ice Blocks slide offstage and can shorten our bad recovery even further.

Also, take advantage if you ever get ICs Desynch, that's when you've got the chance to get SoPo for the stock.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Anyone have any good CP suggestions? I normally go Japes, they can't do too much there because of the divisions, unless they know how to Hobble. Then we are very screwed.
Also, their Dthrow > Nana Fair or Ftrhow > Nana Fair has tech chasing properties as a setup, and a KO move near the ledge.
Unless you're Mr. Doom.

Sieguest

Smash Master
our projectile game is the key for this MU
Pretty much, but all that takes to get past that is PS's and airdodges. And I don't think Link can really make space between him and the ICs once the ICs do get close. And IC uair is X_X.

Also, take advantage if you ever get ICs Desynch, that's when you've got the chance to get SoPo for the stock.
That depends. Us getting desynced by an attack can also lead to us being able to put Link in a bad spot. E.G. having nana blizzard chase which could lead into a grab.
Also, their Dthrow > Nana Fair or Ftrhow > Nana Fair has tech chasing properties as a setup, and a KO move near the ledge.
Unless you're Mr. Doom.
The only time we'd ever have Nana using fair after a popo dthrow or fthrow is if we grab Link at low percents. At the ledge you can SDI the and tech the spike. It'd just be better to finish the CG.

Edit: And hobbling isn't that hard. :p

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Link is dust in this MU. No melee game when it comes to up close and personal, and i think ICs can out camp Link with Ice Blocks the counter his landing lag, if not hit him during his falling Zair.

So far i'm thinking 70-30 or 65-35 IC's

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I find it funny that everyone was saying yoshi and then the topic goes to IC without any real suggestion for it. lol.

Anyway i think bombs are key to this match up. Just constantly trying to keep a bomb in hand will limit CGs done to Link. Also dropping bombs while you land can also help prevent them from attempting a grab.

As for stages, i think non flat stages with platforms would be best option. Brinstar of course comes to mind first, along with Yoshi's Island. PS1 may also be worth trying, the 2 small platforms for Link to camp on, other transformations that enable jab locks for Link like the windmill and walls for infinite jab locks. Avoid/ban w/e, any stage with walk off potential and FD. FD is the best neutral for ICs as i hear.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
may i be the first to say, wtf are you talking about IYM. Maybe you want to edit ur last post. It makes very little sense.

IYM!

Smash Lord
may i be the first to say, wtf are you talking about IYM. Maybe you want to edit ur last post. It makes very little sense.
i say somethig wrong :confused::confused::confused:. if i did that, sorry:(

OK, i will try again

you said in your last post ""LOL, all world are ask for yoshi and now the topic is IC"

and i ansewered you, "i also find some funny that, but Red ryu is the boss here
(he made this thread)so, we have to wait", well that was i try to say

You understand now???, and again sorry:)

if i said my opinion about norfair in this MU bad, please tell me to say it in other form:)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
i think on norfair how or best option to take IC. improbe or recovery, and limit the CG options
No just this part.

"how or best" If i read it over and over you could have meant.

"I think Norfair is our best option on countering Ice Climbers."

"improbe" I have no idea what thats suppose to be. Thus i have no idea what the last sentence is about. But...

"The stage limits their CG options and is better for Link's recovery."

Frankly i have no idea...

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Negi said it a bit rude, but he does speak the truth.

Anyway, anybody have a valid ratio for me? I'm still thinking 70-30 ICs, if not further into IC's favor.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I think the range is around 65:35 - 55:45 IC's

If Sopo grabs Link, he can solo Dthrow chain grab Link to the edge and then Dtilt, which may take away your jump depening if your mashing jump. The Dtilt sends Link at a bad angle making it hard to cover and make it back on stage.

Link's also really easy to chaingrab and fairly easy to land a grab on with his landing lag and sometimes from shielding his first jab you can grab him before his second jab which is pretty dumb.

Link doesn't have to approach IC's, he can split them up with bombs, spaced Zair is safe.

Watch out for IC's when they start using a running shield tactic, this is fairly good against Link, especially when he's trying to Zone with Zair or whiffing attacks. In between Zair's they can run up to you shield wait for you to land and then grab. There's not much that Link can do to this, if you see IC's you can pivot grab them.

But IC's can break out of grabs since Nana will be there to hit you out of it. Depending on which throw you can sometimes still be able to throw them, I think Back Throw works because it's fairly fast.

Link's on Fair on their shield is pretty safe. It pushes them back a fair distance. Not sure if the first hit will happen since they're fairly short and the first hit could go above them.

Watch out with how you pull your bombs, they're good in this matchup but the Bombpull lag could result in you getting grabbed. Bombs can help break out of grabs okayish.

Keep really far from IC's, You don't want them in your Zair range, that's pretty much their dash grab range.

Flat stages like FD (their best stage) are really good for IC's since they don't mess up chaingrabs. Platforms are good for avoiding the grab but their Up Air is really really good when your on them. I think Smashville might be okay if you camp the platform.

For counterpicks pick Brinstar, they'll probably ban that depending on the stagelist. Lylat Cruise could slightly screw up their Chaingrabs then most stages although it's a pretty bad stage for Link.

I think Pictochat would be pretty good since it's got a few hazards that could split them up.

IYM!

Smash Lord
No just this part.

"how or best" If i read it over and over you could have meant.

"I think Norfair is our best option on countering Ice Climbers."

"improbe" I have no idea what thats suppose to be. Thus i have no idea what the last sentence is about. But...

"The stage limits their CG options and is better for Link's recovery."

Frankly i have no idea...
a ok, well, again

Norfair, IMO, is the best stage if we will fight again IC,

because, we have 3 ledges to grab with our clawshot( that was the reason to say "improve our recovery" (written right this time)), the lava can help us, and as the stage is made up of platforms, IC will be limited options to doCG

Clear now?:)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I really know absolutely nothing about IC's minus what I've seen from vids with Scabe. It looks like that CG is pretty much instant death unless you have a bomb, in which case you'll only take like 80% damage (heh, only). IC's uair is crazy good; I'm guessing it beats our dair?

Our number one priority is to not get gtabbed; other than their nasty grab, what do the IC's have on us? What else do we have to worry about?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
@Huggles: Their Hammer is a complete Disjoint. Their best aerial was Bair, i think. Nair was a defensive tactic, and Uair can juggle. Dair is close to worthless, Fair with Nana can Spike, but it's still strong unsweetspotted. If you're vs SoPo, do all you can to get him offstage. SoPo Belay is easily edge-guarded or edge-hogged, and SoPo Squall Hammer is too predictable, and we can edge-guard it with Zair's Disjoint, so we don't take damage trying to Bair or Nair.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's not a 7:3, if you play gay. Platform camping and doing nothing but running away it's a 6:4.

Link does have a few ways to separate them, Zair, Boomerang, Bombs that don't put him directly at risk of getting grabbed. Using bombs a lot is part of what you, use a lot of them since they can stop a chain grab and they will separate them if it hits them.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
we need gimp nana in this MU, do that is pretty easy, because she cant recover alone
I find gimping ICs with Link extremely hard, primarily due to the fact that if they're close enough they WILL interrupt any hint of an attempt at a gimp. The 'rang (which is what I use to 'gimp' most) has enough startup lag to make it a definite 'no-no'.

N-air, while possibly the best gimping move Link has, is ineffectual because, even offstage, it won't provide enough knockback to separate the two definitively enough.

I find my CPU ICs ridiculously easy to beat, but that's only because the CPU doesn't CG more than twice, and doesn't know any ATs. Nana cannot recover alone, I agree, but Popo by himself problem when we're not facing him (trying to gimp Nana) because his moves hit hard enough that the pause between fighting will be enough to let Nana get back to Popo.

I'll still lean towards the 75:35 ICs, though RR's gamping might definitely get the ratio up to 60:40.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
The match up is probably similar to Fox vs Pika, basically as soon as you're grabbed you're dead. However, Link has a much easier time fighting while still avoiding being grabbed. So it has to be at least better ratio then Fox Vs Pika, if by only a little.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think you guys are underestimating how much Link can play keep away with platforms and separate them.

Link's Bombs are bonkers in the MU, they can stop the infinite if your holding one, they separate then, they will help Link outcamp ICs.

Trust me as long as your not on FD you can run circles around them.

It's still in their favor but trust me, this isn't lolmk, DDD, fox, etc. like people think it is. He does really well against Ice climbers provided your willing to run away from them and make them come to you.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Everyones probably seen this match right"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHfRurCwkR8

See how much camping and constantly running away on BF completely messes with IC. Invincibombing, or just bomb dropping in general is a great way to slowly rack up damage safely.

It seems as long as you dont approach, and avoid seriously laggy moves, you are pretty safe from grabs against IC. IC have no real way of setting up the initial grab, unless you approach or make a mistake.

Though in this match the IC didnt use the squall hammer or w/e. Which is a rather annoying move that forces you to shield if you're too close. With desync nana could do the squall hammer and popo could go for the grab

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Overall Yoshi Vs Link. I feel that Yoshi has the advantage. Fast Bair, Nair, and Uair for kills makes Yoshi pretty deadly in the air. Dair can be thrown out as well, but its rather hard to land the hit, but if it does you are in some serious hurt. Fair as most of you know can spike, though even if it doesn't it still hits pretty hard and may kill you anyway. Though if you're below Yoshi there isnt much he can do against Link's Uair.

Yoshi has the easiest Dash pivot cancel in the game. So you can expect yoshi to slide around with smashes almost as good as Link can if not better. As for smashes, Fsmash and Usmash are pretty powerful. Dsmash allows Yoshi lots of sliding capability that may even hit you with both hits if you are at low enough percent and DI the wrong way.

Yoshi's jabs are really fast, well kicks... He can dash attack> jabs before many of the cast can retaliate. They are even fast enough to Jabs>Jabs if you if you react just a bit too late. Yoshi's tilts are also really fast, though at the same time they have no killing power like Link's does.

Yoshi's grab is evil. I believe he can always force the air release as there is no way you can touch the ground while you're in his mouth. So watch out for grab release>Grab on walk off stages or at the edge of the stage where he can go for a walk off fair for a spike attempt. Also note that if you do a standard SH Zair, Yoshi can do a dash grab under the chain and get you in mid air. i don't think Yoshi's grab is considered tether grab, since it doesn't suffer from the "cant grab airborne opponents". Yoshi also has one of the best pivot grabs in the game, or so I've been told.

Yoshi's Dspecial is pretty deadly, but does leave him pretty vulnerable if missed. I think it can efficiently be used as an OoS for a kill if you use a laggy move. It is also been used to go for a quick ledge grab from way above that instantly grabs on. Also a nice little AT for that move is to use it on a slant, it will cause Yoshi to slide in that direction. If he goes off stage he can instantly go into an aerial with no land lag what so ever.

Uspecial is one of Yoshi's best planking moves. Release to Uspecial is a great way for Yoshi to stall. Most likely Yoshi will use this move before even using his second jump as a recovery.

Yoshi's Neutral B can lead into many things depending on what they want to do. They can go into aerials, Uair for kills. He could toss an egg at you. He could use it again. Though i've never been killed by it off stage, in theory he could just swallow you way off stage and you wouldnt have enough time to recover.

Sspecial seems pretty useless. Its fast with no priority. Its easy enough to shield/dodge it. Though if you want you can easily clank or beat it with almost any of Links attacks. If he is pushed off stage while in the egg he will die. So my thought is to attempt a gale push while he is in the egg to go for an easy and satisfying kill.

Sooo.... yeah.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I find Yoshi very hard to edgeguard when I play against him and easy to avoid being edgeguarded when I play as him. His biggest worry is being footstooled, and a smart Yoshi will know to watch out for that. His aerial movement is the fastest in the game, so even if you knock him out of his double jump he still has a good shot to make it back if he DI's well with his side movement and his B up, although it's not very big.

Yoshi's shield sucks a lot. I would love Yoshi if I didn't think his shield and OoS options were absolute garbage (and I play Link, hahaha). I think the key is going to be spacing him with moves like zair or fair. Keep him at midrange. At midrange we're gonna beat him and if he shields his options are limited, allowing us to much more easily reset the spacing against him than most other characters. I think Yoshi will actually win long range with his eggs, since all we have at very long ranges is charged arrows, which aren't all that great.

Close up I'm guessing Yoshi's gonna beat us up (what else is new, haha). Try to force him to pull up his shield; this is going to give us tons of options to reset the spacing, much more so than other characters (but I'm assuming good art Yoshis will know this and try to minimize their shield usage?).

Link's pretty good when it comes to kill potential, with a lot of moves that can kill. Yoshi is not iirc, and his best killers, usmash and utilt, are vertical, and Link is hard to kill vertically. I'd watch for fsmash, since that has a nice low trajectory, although fsmash is a bit sluggish and lacks range, and with any luck we'll be keeping Yoshi out of range. Dsmash isn't really a great killing move at all.

I'd say this matchup is probably not too much worse than a slight advantage to Yoshi because we can space him very well and have better killing options, although he wins close quarters if he can get in and stay in and can gimp us much more easily than we can him. Basically, don't let him in. I know from what little time I've played Yoshi that characters that can space him and spam him are incredibly frustrating to have to deal with, and I'm betting this is one of those matches that will just irritate the heck out of a Yoshi even if they can do some damage once they get in.

My thoughts on this match. What do you guys think? Also, bump because we've been neglecting this thread, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom