• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Vs. Samus HELP!

abel_ignatius

Smash Cadet
hi. im having a slight problem wen facing my brother who uses samus. it her projectiles that piss me off. i get trrapped and sooner or later im hit by either a bblast or her damm missiles. whut is a guud strategy to use against samus, with link?

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
My friend uses Samus. He uses this gay combo where he shoots a missle and then his charged beam, so dodging and shielding are useless. All projectiles, when hitting Link's shield, like, hylian shield, are useless. So if you have some distance between you, throw a rang and stand there and let the projectiles hit your shield.
If you're close to samus, try taking advantage of start-up / ending lag of her missles. If you're really close, grab her before she gets the missle off.
Basically, you have projectiles too. Sometimes me and my friend are just on the opposite sides of FD in a projectile war. :D The point is, your projectiles are just as good as Samus's, so if she's getting the better of you with her projectiles, you should be doing the same to her. D:
And go for vertical kills if you can.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
My friend uses Samus, and these are what I think are good strategies against a projectile spammer:

1. Let everything hit your shield. It does knock you back a bit, but maybe Samus'll get bored?

2. Powershielding works. If you time your shield right, it'll send her missles back at her. This is great to use when they least expect it, and hilarious.

3. Swipe em with your sword. Or use the neutral air, cause Link's hylian kick is freakin awesome.

4. Spamming your boomerang works, and arrows sometimes pass through missles and keep going, but the boomerang is better.

Skler

Smash Master
Outspam the Samus. It's easy, just throw boomerangs and catch them while pulling an occasional bomb. Samus doesn't spam all that fast, and all of her projectiles just go straight out so if you feel pressured move to a platform and continue spamming.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Powershield all her spam, and use your spam back at her, and now she'll have twice as much **** to worry about... :p

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
You have range as well, with your sword and projectiles.
Do you use Links hylian shield? I face Samus's quite a lot and I try to keep the pressure on the player.
I use the shield, and powershielding dosent always work with me. Might be different for you, but use mindgames against your brother that spams. <<

D

Deleted member

use the shot stopper for her blast (shoot an arrow at the ground)
i try side stepping missiles (doesnt always work)
use shield dashing and platforms to get closer to her

if u can get up close to samus she should start being a little bit easier for link, one thing though, dont touch her or they'll use her up b and thats just annoying lol

Skler

Smash Master
No, no, no! If Samus wants to spam at you don't close the gap and don't try to hide behind your shield. Spam back, Link does it much better than Samus, even on FD. Why anybody would want to go against Samus at close range without an opening from projectiles is beyond me, just spam spam spam until Samus approaches or you land a bomb.

Link can use platforms if he decides the pressure is too much while still controlling the stage with his projectiles. Just spam and win.

ilikepielol

Smash Rookie
I just use a combo of throwing **** through the air and shielding while on the ground to close the gap and get closer to samus, that usually works for me.

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
hi. im having a slight problem wen facing my brother who uses samus. it her projectiles that piss me off. i get trrapped and sooner or later im hit by either a bblast or her damm missiles. whut is a guud strategy to use against samus, with link?
Just jump over the Projectiles for one thing, if anything the way your sibling plays it sounds very predictable, always keep him in the air, sure it seems he has the advantage, but if he wants to ***** B moves then ***** your Up-A. Or you can go all projectile just like him and trust me when I say you'll own him at that, you have much more projectiles. Bombs for instance are a great way to start combo's, ***** them. I wouldn't so much as say to use the Arrows though, too much Lag; However the Boomerang is your friend, try and combo it with bombs.

Don't be afraid to whip out a bomb or a boomerang when needed, it'll help a ton in the long run.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Spaming works well for me. Also watch out when you Dthrow a samus cause most will just do N-Air and you may run into her move. < But thiers no need of grabbing her if you can just spam. Also watch out for the Double missles. Boomerang her ***!

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
use sex kick alot, link kick will cut thru almost everything
qft. Link's Nair eats Samus's missles... and aerials... and recovery... dayum, this move is hot.
Oh and Link's bombs negate a fully charged shot.

So to counter Samus's projectiles:
1) Nair everything that isn't a fully charged shot
2) Throw bombs at charge shots.
3) Use platforms.

Samus's also like to CC stuff to Dsmash. So, try throwing bombs at Samus that uses CC, she'll trip. Or use a Dair; the fact that she's CC'ing might make it hit twice.

Another Hero

Smash Rookie
I can second the fact that bombs totally negate Samus' B regardless of its charge.

It makes Samus less threatening because you can gte a bomb out before Samus can get to max. Sure they can hold the shot in but when charging its basically a telegraph that Samus is going for a heavy hit. When you see the chrage begin...thats when you pull your bomb. Hold the bomb untill you either need it for blocking the shot or if its gonna blow up in your hand [ obv ].

I usually keep a bomb out the duration of my fight with a Samus so that my opponent knows Im prepared, plus I have a good bomb game.

I didnt know about a short distance arrow is a shot stopper though, I gotta try that. My friends gonna be even more pissed :chuckle:

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
skler FTW

listen to him

but ya out spam and a shot stopper with the arrow maybe but idk just try and out spam and when you finally win the 8 year spam war take advantage of your chance or........

you can just spam for the win and then nair at 170+ % because it says out for so many frames..

XEM

Smash Rookie
Link is a projectile factory, take advantage

Links Spam is way better than Samus' because he can do it in all directions.
So move around so Samus cant just sit there and chase her into vulnerable positions.

Also remember that Link can barely combo and Samus almost cant be comboed so if you go in close, hit and run...hit very hard..and then run.

aerials are good for 2 maybe 3 hits combined with projectiles they're even better depending on the samus player.

This is just based on my experiences.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Hmmm, I don't really agree with some of the advice here.

Hylian Shield only works at a distance and doesn't get you anywhere offensively.
Powershielding? Come on, you don't really expect to use that effectively?
Out spamming? It's not about "out spamming," it's about using your projectiles effectively.

I vouch for bladeofapollo's advice for the most part.

FAR RANGE

Bombs will stop all shots. Even Samus's fully charged shot. Keep that in mind. For the most part, Link's projectiles have more arch while Samus's is straight forward. Cancel her projectiles with your bombs and boomerang and when you can jump over her projectiles and launch your own projectiles at her to put pressure on her while at the same time stop her projectile pressure.

MID RANGE

The sex kick can eat practically all of Samus's projectiles except for for a fully charged shot. If she shoots or charges, come at Samus with the sex kick. It has amazing priority and you will be able to manuever more than Samus. Just learn how to string other attacks in with it when you land it. Remember you can also use your projectiles and strike when you catch a connecting stun.

CLOSE RANGE

Your objective really is to get Samus into the air. Link's sex kick and Up Aerial will out prioritizes Samus and can be very punishing to her. Combo-wise don't expect anything too long. Link isn't a very lengthy combo character and Samus is not a character that is easily comboed. Keep it short, simple, and effective. Of course use Link's other moves as you see fit.

Here are some vids of my Link vs Spin Jumps Samus. They are pretty old, but maybe you can draw some tactics from them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVNQAJFtz0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hlddTK1nk

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Another Hero

Smash Rookie
When you get in close I also suggest looking out for Samus' shoulder bash, which is her dash move. My firend calls it bowling when he slams me with this and I hate it. It moves quick and prioritizes Links moves.

Just because you got close doesnt mean your in the clear. So keep a finger ready to spot dodge,roll,or get that hookshot out in case they go for the shoulder bash.

Of course if you can close the gap quick enough then you shouldnt have to worry, or just slam her with a projectile when in range and go for a combo immidietly.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
The awesomest spam fight would be a samus on pokemon stadium vs link. Samus spams so fast its not even funny there

Peace

Namiel

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, I don't really agree with some of the advice here.

Hylian Shield only works at a distance and doesn't get you anywhere offensively.
Powershielding? Come on, you don't really expect to use that effectively?
Out spamming? It's not about "out spamming," it's about using your projectiles effectively.
Yes, I expect to. It's great when they fire them pretty close range, becuase they DON'T expect it to come back. If you're early, you have your shield up, if you're late, oh well it hits your hylian shield. I do powershield missiles sent at me often, and it's great to see Samus charge face first into it. My brother is more careful about shooting off missiles close range now because of this.

I can relate to this situation because my brother has perfected intercepting me off the screen. His missiles are pretty much calibrated to Link's fall speed so I need to find ways around them anytime I recover. His "projectiles thrown" total used to be nearly 180 after every five stock match.

As mentioned before, bombs are sexy. Remember that they'll defend you from both missiles and charge shots. Pull one out if you're nervous about the charge shot. Boomerang works best for missiles at any distance though. Just lob it at her and try to keep it in front of her, even bounce it off the floor to keep it in missile range longer if she's on the ground.

Grounded arrows are pretty useless. It's great if the Samus doesn't know about that just to piss them off, but I've tried to lay a barrier and gotten nailed by the shot numerous times because it just takes too long. Only do it if there is A LOT of distance between you, and then probably use it as a shield to pull out a bomb. Remember, a well placed jump can put it over the arrow (and your hylian shield. I've even had it go UNDER the shield on flat ground).

Nair is quick and will stop a missile if you're bound to hit it. You can just short hop nair through them if you want, just don't let them get under your foot or it'll nail you.

Overall, just spam the boomerang to take the heat off of missiles and to try and put her where you want her, but lay off of it when she has the charge shot. You will be punished for boomerang spam when it gets eaten by charge shot.

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
The biggest problem i have is getting the projectiles out there, when all Samus has to do is spamming her power missiles and uncharged B shots. Pulling out the bomb takes time, and you can't always expect the boomerang to be there when you need it the most.

I guess the question I want to put out there is: When should you be canceling her projectiles, and when should you be trying to spam around her shots? Does an arrow on the ground really cancel out a Big Shot? How should you be throwing your boomerang? When shoudl you be chucking a bomb, and pulling it out for said Big Shot?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Yes an arrow on the ground cancels it out. Unless the samus is AMAZING at spamming and you r only ok at it, then link can win a spam fight. If worst comes to worst, pick a smaller stage like yoshis story where recovery and spam dont matter AS MUCH. Though u should be able to win the spam fight unless they are amazingly good, stick to a small stage if that helps.

Peace

Another Hero

Smash Rookie
You should be throwing your boomerang as efficiently as possible. I find its the best way to take out anything but a fully charged blast [ considering thats a job for your bombs ]. If youre not careful with your boomerang Link will whiff and not even throw it because you dont have the rang' back yet.

Also Samus shots are tied to a straight path aside from homing missles, whereas all of Links projectiles can be controlled : bombs can be thrown any main direction and arc, arrows can vary in distance and speed, and boomerangs go wherever you can manage to throw them.

A quick example using teh boomerang efficiently:

Jump toward a spamming samus and throw the boomerang so it arcs down and toward the on comming projectile. The rang' is basically clearing the path for you and as you move foward it will come back to you ensuring you catch it and have it again to throw and block anymore incomming shots. This method closes the gap and keeps you out spamming her at the same time.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
practice against samus is also a key thing, because over time u will eventually create your own style to countering samus.

Omnirighteous

Smash Cadet
You have range as well, with your sword and projectiles.
Do you use Links hylian shield? I face Samus's quite a lot and I try to keep the pressure on the player.
I use the shield, and powershielding dosent always work with me. Might be different for you, but use mindgames against your brother that spams. <<
lol at the fact that no page in help threads can be free of the infinitely useful advice that is 'use mindgames'

oh well...but its not at all difficult to dodge the spam. and dont forget links bombs...they're use more flexible than her missiles
draw in midair and keep that pressure on that samus

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
practice against samus is also a key thing, because over time u will eventually create your own style to countering samus.
This is what I did in order to get better when I was having problems against my friend who plays as Samus, and even though I fought the CP, it helped a lot. Now our matches are neck and neck, and last time I did better than him...

Slightlyvicious

Smash Cadet
my main is as samus. to beat her, (my worst fear) GET IN HER FACE! she doesnt do well against ur sword. if u want 2 no more, go to my thread "samus matchups" in the samus sect.

Namiel

Smash Cadet
If u get in samus face she will sit there, crouch, and then down smash. STAY BACK!!!!
Yes, Samus must have the best crouch cancel in the game because almost anything I throw at her can be crouch canceled up to 80%, and within counterattack range if you're not careful. Know the length of your sword and use it to it's fullest if the Samus you're going against likes to CC.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
DThrow -> Fulljump DAir when samus is over 90%

aim ur DAir above where samus ends up right after ur DThrow. most samus' will jump out of links DThrow. you will be waiting with the kill move.

Namiel

Smash Cadet
DThrow -> Fulljump DAir when samus is over 90%

aim ur DAir above where samus ends up right after ur DThrow. most samus' will jump out of links DThrow. you will be waiting with the kill move.
Honestly, I can't see that working. She DIs too far to the side if nothing else, but I'd also think she goes too high/gets out of it too fast. I rarely ever get to combo out of a down throw against Samus.

Blazing

Smash Apprentice
what you need to do is jab the missiles and spam and if samus is getting close use the runing atack it works wonders and destroys missiles,also try to keep samus above you that is were link can do some big damge and kill samus,also when samus does her runing atack and you block it that is a free spin attack but dont spin if she is at low% you grab when he is at low%

Top Bottom