• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Because you know it's true. Especially when you look at Link back in 2.0 and 2.1 man. His boomerang was so ridiculously easy to spam.

2.6(b) is better in many other ways, but it's not so overcentralizing anymore as it was back then. Bombs imo are just as good, if not better, than the boomerang.

Fortress

Smash Master
If you feel that way, you can do what I do and experiment with the other projectiles. It's greatly improved my zoning and pressure game and gives me an idea of how each tools is applicable.
I've started using the bombs a lot more, and it's something I'm getting more comfortable with. AGT up while throwing down has proven to be a solid approach option, while AGT back while throwing forward is great for fakeouts. I haven't had any opportunities come up in which I took the chance to instant-toss a perfect-shielded bomb, but I hope I get there. I started doing the DACUS less, because when I first learned it, it was all I was doing for a few games. I wonder if anybody else does that, figures out a trick, and then kind of does it too much without thinking of it. Anyway, I've started to do it with forward throws, and it's been nice.

I still need to get the hang of tether-cancels, though.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
In 2.1 I used mainly rang. In 2.5 I didn't use rang at ALL(I considered it a mistake any time I threw rang) so I got pretty good at fighting without it and bomb stuff. 2.6 I feel I use a nice mix of everything, sometimes I have to remind myself not to pull so many bombs, or use rang so much if I auto-pilot I will fall into predictable patterns. The reason you feel like you need to use rang less is because you subconsciously know you aren't optimizing your combos or are falling into predictable play that will be picked up on by better opponents.

Sarix

Smash Ace
For me I used the boomerang a lot in 2.1 like so many did since it was such a brainless projectile. In 2.5 I basically only used it for defensive application and started playing with bombs and arrows more myself. For 2.6 I've been aiming to find ways to blend all 3 into tighter zoning patterns and seeing how the bow can be maximized for Link. I've been finding many odd ways I can pepper arrows into my zoning, traps, and pressure just to add a little more. Now if only the quickdraw wasn't so useless...

I know when I autopilot I have to tell myself not to use projectiles for a bit to stop myself from falling into routines otherwise I'm just giving my opponent powershield practice. I find the best way to add tricks and techniques to your gameplay without them domineering your play style is to look for ways that they can follow up or support other tricks instead of looking for opportunities to use them stand alone.

Fortress

Smash Master
Hylian (and Strongbad, if you're reading), can you two consider speaking with the rest of the staff to figure out why we don't have bombs like these yet?

I think Link will truly be top-tier viable once he has nukes like in the instruction manuals.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Because you know it's true. Especially when you look at Link back in 2.0 and 2.1 man. His boomerang was so ridiculously easy to spam.
I'm not dying from your quote because it's a good move or anything. I'm dying from how you mentioned it bing BnB like Mario's fireballs or spacie lasers, you just toss it out without really thinking. Everybody does it at some point
People generally play the game far too mindlessly then they should, and Fireballs + Laser + Blasters + PKFreezes + projectiles in general are simply the most obvious physically tangible and visual result/notice-able way mindlessness expresses itself.
I'm probably the biggest advocate of awareness in Smash history, and comments about doing things without thinking shatters all human potential with the game, and using the most obvious symptom of a shattered mind... is just perfect for shattering my hopes for people.

I'm being a bit of a drama-queen about it, it's really not THAT big of a deal because I'm on everyone's case in the whole community, but still. lol @ the quote.
I also understand you're not 'doing all the time' or anything, and that you're aware of it so can work with not 'falling into auto-pilot' because of noticing it, so it's not a terrible thing or anything.

This basically. you subconsciously know you aren't optimizing your combos or are falling into predictable play
Do everything with all of your mind and intention. Projectile tossing as a default position in Smash is generally a sign that awareness is lacking, deeply.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Also, if you guys haven't watched my most recent videos from my last smashfest I highly recommend them because I played pretty amazing.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Sweet. Is that the last swab of links you posted, or something else?

A local and I were practicing bomb stuff today. The Bomb-Z-air hitting (the on-stage flutter trick) is hilarious. Shoots them SO far, or slides them so low. TL has some hilarious play with it too.
Still not a projectile fan and haven't been since ever (as everyone has always likely known), but I'll warm up/gravitate to them eventually I'm sure. These fun tricks are always nice encouragement.

What's the deal with the AGT Down-Bombthrow > AGT Up/Side-Bombthrow off-stage?
Just for speed/fun/getting around things?
It's not a distance-difference maker, and doesn't seem practical at all other than maneuvering quickly... lol fun though.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah it's the last link I posted with the huge match list.

The AGT thing is to stall out their invincibility. Most people just look at the bomb instead of trying to position themselves from stopping me from getting back on the stage after their invincibility runs out. Also, throwing the bomb at them to return to the stage gives me a lot of options, especially if they shield I pretty much can get on the stage for free and in an advantageous position to boot. The people who run off to try and gimp me I almost always gimp them instead because I understand where I'm going better than they do, they just see me doing weird movement stuff. The maneuvering quickly while recovery can be useful to just dodge people jumping at you.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
That's what I figured, the speed/getting around things.
Though that whole 'distracted by movements' thing isn't something I would encourage, as it's what a LOT of players in Project: M are banking on, gimmicks, in a way, and at a result the meta-game should have been where it is NOW, a year ago.
Not saying it's bad/anyone should avoid it, I just dedicate so much of my time to helping people understand their options/what's going on/etc, with both the mental and physical play, that anything that someone might be effected by (losing or winning) is something I directly give attention to, to make sure it isn't a common thing and won't play a factor in the games.
LOL I'm just too 'down' with using Smash like a spiritual growth tool than to actually let people just beat each other because of experiential nuances and intuitive lacking like knowledge-based 'stuff' to let it go. XD

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I mean..there is nothing else to do when they are invincible lol. My options are getting on the ledge normally or getting on the ledge with a bomb flying at them >_>. I choose the bomb. Not gonna stay on stage while they are invincible considering how slow Link is.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I was referring to the AGT Down > Up thing. Dodging stuff with it = awesome, using it to confuse people (especially when it really IS a linear thing once in motion) = not so awesome.

Throwing bombs at people is generally pretty good. Nothing bad about that. lol

Edit: Who has slower run-speed than Link? I'm curious... this character is sloooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I was referring to the AGT Down > Up thing. Dodging stuff with it = awesome, using it to confuse people (especially when it really IS a linear thing once in motion) = not so awesome.

Throwing bombs at people is generally pretty good. Nothing bad about that. lol

Edit: Who has slower run-speed than Link? I'm curious... this character is sloooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww

I mean I only do it to confuse people when they are invincible..because what else?

Link has the 4th slowest running speed. Zelda/Ganon and...Peach? are below him.

Fortress

Smash Master
I mean I only do it to confuse people when they are invincible..because what else?

Link has the 4th slowest running speed. Zelda/Ganon and...Peach? are below him.
I thought Jigglypuff was at the bottom of the bottom in terms of ground running speed.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's probably jiggs then lol.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Hi guys, I'm obviously new here. I just started to pick up P:M competitively. Currently working on stuff with bombs, like launching them with your hookshot (incase that hasn't been discovered yet). You'll be hearing from me often to chat.

Oh, and hi Hylian.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hello! Working on stuff with bombs got me into PM so have fun :p.

Yes that has been discovered(by me I think, maybe someone else but I've been doing it since I picked up the game and made a video about it pretty early on). It's referred to as a punt heh. You can double and triple punt as well so have fun figuring that out :p.

Fortress

Smash Master
Hi guys, I'm obviously new here. I just started to pick up P:M competitively. Currently working on stuff with bombs, like launching them with your hookshot (incase that hasn't been discovered yet). You'll be hearing from me often to chat.

Oh, and hi Hylian.
Yup, that's called a 'bomb punt'. Give AGT a try sometime, if you haven't heard of it already. Technical stuff like wavelanding and L-cancelling will help you out bunches, also.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
What's a 'punt' for TL if he just slides/pushes it along the ground?
It's the same idea, so maybe he's just got a really terrible soccer kick... with his hook-shot. >_>

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
What's a 'punt' for TL if he just slides/pushes it along the ground?
It's the same idea, so maybe he's just got a really terrible soccer kick... with his hook-shot. >_>
Dem short legs man.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I like Links changes, like how they change his Dash attack and Utilt animations to be like Melee, but theres one attack i would like to see with Melee animation and is his second attack of the Fsmash.
Current One:

Melee Animation:

In Melee it looks like he swings his sword with grace and matches better how upwards he sends his opponents.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
I like Links changes, like how they change his Dash attack and Utilt animations to be like Melee, but theres one attack i would like to see with Melee animation and is his second attack of the Fsmash.

In Melee it looks like he swings his sword with grace and matches better how upwards he sends his opponents.
I second this. Link's Melee animations are more deliberate looking and imo, are nicer to look at.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm probably going to start working on a Link guide after we release 3.0 since I won't have to be doing as much pmbr stuff right after release. Would people want me to just make a guide about specific things(bomb play for example) or everything in general?

Sarix

Smash Ace
Would it be fair to assume the guide would be written based on how you play Link Hylian? Or will it also include info for Link players who are more zoning oriented? I'm mostly curious is all.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Wait, you can zone with Link? I just throw 'rangs at faces within arm's reach.
Um... my entire play style is trap pressure zoning with Link lol. I've been digging deeper into that side of Link on my own since Hylian has covered the majority of rushdown for him. I basically use projectiles to force or bait certain reactions or get the opponent to make mistakes. It's a lot of indirect pressure and it allows me to flexibly play offensively or defensively based on the situation.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Would it be fair to assume the guide would be written based on how you play Link Hylian? Or will it also include info for Link players who are more zoning oriented? I'm mostly curious is all.
I think we can assume that he'll just go over the general uses of Link's tools, options, etc. That's what I'd prefer, anyway. I don't think it would help if the guide only showed how to do things the way Hylian does.
I am interested in seeing the double and triple bomb punts in action, though.

Sarix

Smash Ace
On another topic, I was playing around in training mode and it looks like if you jump + Bow > Release > FF it appears to cancel the initial arrow release animation. You can also hold the bow for a few frames to DI forward or backward before releasing and still getting the what possibly is a small frame cancel. Possible new AT for the bow? If so, dibs on naming it. If not then, oh well, might as well share possibilities.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
In Brawl if you landed as you pressed B you automatically shot the arrow out.
Is that what you're referring to?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Land cancel-able projectiles aren't an AT. Many characters with projectiles have a relatively large auto-cancel window shortly after firing. Falco's lasers are a notable example. It's just an attribute that's been around forever, it doesn't need a wacky name.

Sarix

Smash Ace
In Brawl if you landed as you pressed B you automatically shot the arrow out.
Is that what you're referring to?
No, it's actually releasing in mid air then landing with FF right after releasing. It doesn't automatically shoot out, it just appears to cut out part of the initial arrow release animation upon landing. What you're referring to is the Quickdraw which unfortunately is not very useful in P:M because it travels very low to the ground and a short distance making it cover no space.

Land cancel-able projectiles aren't an AT. Many characters with projectiles have a relatively large auto-cancel window shortly after firing. Falco's lasers are a notable example. It's just an attribute that's been around forever, it doesn't need a wacky name.
Falco's lasers cancel completely though. This just appears to get rid of part of the initial release animation while retaining the majority of the recovery.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I'm probably going to start working on a Link guide after we release 3.0 since I won't have to be doing as much pmbr stuff right after release. Would people want me to just make a guide about specific things(bomb play for example) or everything in general?
I think if you had a section about bomb play then it would be cool. You could include other advanced techniques as well. Better to be universal. I just wanted to make a bomb one, but you've a few more tricks than I in that department.

On another topic, I was playing around in training mode and it looks like if you jump + Bow > Release > FF it appears to cancel the initial arrow release animation. You can also hold the bow for a few frames to DI forward or backward before releasing and still getting the what possibly is a small frame cancel. Possible new AT for the bow? If so, dibs on naming it. If not then, oh well, might as well share possibilities.
This was discovered in Brawl a while ago. Assuming you mean arrow cancelling.

Fortress

Smash Master
Um... my entire play style is trap pressure zoning with Link lol. I've been digging deeper into that side of Link on my own since Hylian has covered the majority of rushdown for him. I basically use projectiles to force or bait certain reactions or get the opponent to make mistakes. It's a lot of indirect pressure and it allows me to flexibly play offensively or defensively based on the situation.
I know he zones well lol. I was just joking around, since I find myself more inclined to pelt people with bombs and 'rangs while rushing up.

Top Bottom