• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

D

Deleted member

All I want for Christmas is you is for his sword hitboxes to cover the tip of his sword. I'll be very disappointed if that wasn't fixed.

I'm excited to try the new Boomerang though.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Likewise.
This is actually what I was hoping for in a boomerang for 2.6. I don'tneed it to combo everytime, just when I'm close. I need it to work like a projectile when I'm far away, not a combo starter.
It reminds me of SD Remix rang, which I really like. It's like you read my mind Hylian:eek: Now I'm just itching to try it out!

Waht I'm really interested in is if there are any changes to his sword hitboxes and his bombs. It says on the site that bombs are melee sats but the KB growth and angle are totally different.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I have faith in Hylian, he actually seems to understand what Link needs
Ignoring the fact that the boomerang change originated from a discussion Gimpyfish and I had, sure. ;)

So did some other changes that haven't really been noticed/shown off yet, actually. Believe in the Alakadoof.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Just looking for opinions:

Link's P:M bombs don't work like they do in melee. The knockback is higher and there is less follow-up potential. However, P:M bombs are better for bomb jumping.

Does anyone think that they are okay the way they are, despite the fact that the official site states that bomb stats are reverted to melee?

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
Ignoring the fact that the boomerang change originated from a discussion Gimpyfish and I had, sure. ;)

So did some other changes that haven't really been noticed/shown off yet, actually. Believe in the Alakadoof.
We don't know who did what, but I'm sure everyone must know most of PM Link was your doing. That said Hylian is clearly the best Link in PM right now so people trust him.

These are all the changes I have noticed so far from all the streams. These may or may not be true.

Dash attack: Melee animation. Still seems to be the same speed.

Utilt: Fix hitbubbles

Dtilt: Sped up (maybe different meteor hit bubbles. It seemed to land more often onstage.)

Usmash: hitbubbles fixed on sword.

Fsmash: fixed hitbubbles on second hit.

Fair: seems to start faster but this is highly unlikely imo.

Dair: seems that the forward hitting hit bubble bubble is still intact but I would assume the inner lower hit bubble is moved down over the sword tip.

Bow: arrows seem smaller and have either faster startup or endlag.

Bombs seem smaller. As a side note I'm liking the angle and distance return rang sends bombs.

annnnd

" 2.6 rang is much shorter and much faster than 2.5. It has a combo hit active the first 6 frames which does 16% and sends them at a similar angle to 2.1 rang, letting you combo off it easily if you get the combo hit. In addition to this, we removed the catching animation in every action except standing still. You can be running or jumping and it won't interrupt you anymore causing you to get punished for using your rang close and not being able to avoid it. The quickness of rang along with some other tools link has now makes him much better at close to mid range fighting and helps him deal with pressure. You can continue combos now that you couldn't before with rang, and you can use rang as an effective approach tool, a defensive mid-range tool, overall it's a lot more versatile and you don't need to fear it harming you or being used against you. It's much more dynamic than 2.5 or 2.1 rang's uses, try it out in combos next time you play and don't try to use it like 2.5."

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace

Well you were also responsible for Link up until Hylian was brought aboard lol

Link's P:M bombs don't work like they do in melee. The knockback is higher and there is less follow-up potential. However, P:M bombs are better for bomb jumping.

Does anyone think that they are okay the way they are, despite the fact that the official site states that bomb stats are reverted to melee?
Actually they're worse for bomb jumping, if you use up-B too much on stage, you'll just smack the bomb away when you try to bomb jump instead of it exploding, in melee you could do it constantly no matter how much you used up-B on stage IIRC

I think the bombs should have less knockback for higher follow-up potential considering bomb-jumping isn't really reliable if you like to up-B OOS on stage which is a good option to have, it sucks having to choose between that and having a bomb jump

That said Hylian is clearly the best Link in PM right now so people trust him.
I'm pretty good too, I beat MattDotZeb and won some tournaments, that kid is really good, I should really start recording though

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
Actually they're worse for bomb jumping, if you use up-B too much on stage, you'll just smack the bomb away when you try to bomb jump instead of it exploding, in melee you could do it constantly no matter how much you used up-B on stage IIRC

Bomb jumping worked like this in melee.. If up-b is staled two or three times it will just knock the bomb away. This includes grounded up-b for some reason.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Well you were also responsible for Link up until Hylian was brought aboard lol
Blame a certain wizard for SideB in 2.5 though. I agree that it was poorly designed, but admittedly didn't realize the full implications of the nerf. And the fact that one move being nerfed messed him up so badly wasn't indicative of the greatest overall design, either.

Both of which should be fixed for 2.6. Whoo Link.

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
Blame a certain wizard for SideB in 2.5 though. I agree that it was poorly designed, but admittedly didn't realize the full implications of the nerf. And the fact that one move being nerfed messed him up so badly wasn't indicative of the greatest overall design, either.

Both of which should be fixed for 2.6. Whoo Link.
Glad to hear that from a backroom member. It was getting on my nerves that some people seemed to think it wasn't a big deal.

By wizard I can only think of Wizzy (couldn't be) Dantarion, and magus. I'm guessing magus.

WHooooo 2.6 Link!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
By "it was poorly designed," I'm referring to 2.0/2.1's boomerang, by the way. Probably wasn't clear.

New boomerang works better while on the offensive, and isn't just something you can throw and forget about. Combine that with the rest of the 2.6 changes and people should be considerably happier with 2.6 Link.

(I say should because everything is subjective and some people are too attached to what once was.)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
1. Shadic is awesome and does good things for Link.

2. 2.6 link da bess.

3. I wouldn't worry about who is the best, there are a few good link players to watch and learn from.

Sanity I played MDZ at a chicago tournament in some friendlies, I beat him 2-3 stocks every match we played he didn't seem very familiar with PM then, though he did beat me in teams and they were just a few friendlies so it doesn't mean much lol. He's also probably much better now if he's played more PM.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Yo guys, in case you haven't noticed, I've updated the video thread. Go take a look!
Can't wait to start putting up 2.6 vids!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Characters don't have feet hurtboxes, and Fox's shoes are gigantic.

And Daz wasn't using the latest build because he's derp.

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
Characters don't have feet hurtboxes, and Fox's shoes are gigantic.

And Daz wasn't using the latest build because he's derp.

LOL, I guess that means he does get his melee dash attack and hit usmash hitboxes are fixed ^_^

I feel cheated watching the stream so closely looking for link changes only to find out Daze wasn't using the right build. XD

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Sanity I played MDZ at a chicago tournament in some friendlies, I beat him 2-3 stocks every match we played he didn't seem very familiar with PM then, though he did beat me in teams and they were just a few friendlies so it doesn't mean much lol. He's also probably much better now if he's played more PM.
He is much better now, when I first started playing him in P:M he still had some trouble with the new mechanics and I managed to beat him with Link, now he switches between melee and P:M flawlessly, it sucks lol, idk if metroid had a more recent experience against him but he said he's really good now if you'd take his word if not mine

also... Run attack is 2.5 again. I guess you guys are still testing things out with him.
It looks like the melee dash attack has more endlag... might just be me though

GMaster171

Smash Ace
It looks like the melee dash attack has more endlag... might just be me though
I imagine its like Ness' dash grab change from 2.1->2.5. Its Melee animation (with him sort of tripping and everything), but the speed remained the same. It just looked slower due to the animation.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I am happy they gave him his Melee Dash Attack animation. I remember me and someone else were saying it'd look a lot better back in like 2.0.

The way he swings the sword just looks so much more powerful in Melee.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Oh, I should have a vid of my Link vs metroid's Ike (and I guess some general Link videos from that weekend) here soon. Going into work though, so I'll put them up afterwards.

Unfortunately only one of the games got put up. I think I went 3-2 overall vs his Ike. I got 4stocked once, 2 stocked, won by one stock (recorded), won by two x2.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Cool match. Boomerang did absolutely no work for you, though.
How do players get returning rang to cover them? It feels like you have to force it to control space.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I think it was the small stage that hurt me that way for 'Rang then. It did guarantee me my last kill though, so I think it was my little MVP of the match, lol.

As for the question, hm... I guess using it to force space control from a distance or threaten someone into or out of an area is what I mostly use it for. It's sometimes a decent punish (initial hit) when you jump away from something that can lead to a follow up, too. In terms of space control, I've found I've just been using his sword hitboxes more.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda jumping the gun here, but are there any final thoughts on 2.5 Link before 2.6 rolls by? What exactly did we all learn from 2.5 Link?
What works?
What doesn't?
I think that if we want to see Link improve in tournament results, we need to know what we are working with.

Just trying to spur some conversation; these boards are ususally dead.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I learned how to play without rang.

:).

By the way, I'm loving 2.6 Link. Been playing a lot recently and I'm way better with him than I was in 2.5.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Haven't downloaded 2.6 yet, but I'm excited for Link's improved rang. The fact that there are no catch animations except for when standing still sounds pretty awesome.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
LOVING the new rang. The speed and ability to lend to combos better more than makes up for the reduced distance. I can't imagine going back to any other version of it. Amazing work and props to PMBR.

Also, hook shot used in the air can pull opponents in now and can make for some great set ups.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0

I've noticed this. I'm in the camp that I really really want them to behave exactly like Melee, but I'll deal with this, because I'm not sure that will ever happen. :(

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
Dang that rang is a good combo starter. I've been running and sh past them and do a reverse momentum rang right in their back. Instant 18% and combo starter. If not the slight delay usually throws them off enough to shield pressure, grab, etc.

iLink

Smash Champion
Any reason Link's hookshot can't hit his own bombs anymore? I liked doing that for some shenanigans.

Also, did Link's zair always send the opponent up on the last hit or is that new?

Loving him so far besides the tragic lose of the z bomb : (

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Any reason Link's hookshot can't hit his own bombs anymore? I liked doing that for some shenanigans.

Also, did Link's zair always send the opponent up on the last hit or is that new?

Loving him so far besides the tragic lose of the z bomb : (

You can still Zbomb, I do it every match. Links zair is new.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Something to keep in mind for long time Link mains. Most of us are used to avoiding our own boomerang because of the catch animation. Now that the animation almost never shows up, you actually benefit from catching your boomerang. You can now throw the boomerang again as soon as it enters Link's body.

Ninjamo

Smash Cadet
Even though I'll miss Link's extreme, head-on-backwards boomerang throw animation, his new rang is da bess. Awesome work guys. :smash:

Sarix

Smash Ace
Like everyone else that's posted so far I agree that 2.6 Link is definitely a big improvement. The boomerang's reduced range is completely made up for in sheer flexibility as a combo starter or as a zoning lockdown tool. His mobility buffs also make spacing and offensive pressure so much more convenient and MUs against speedy characters less likely to give me gray hairs.

Top Bottom