• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Matchups - Someone who knows what's he's talking about

THE AVENGER

Smash Journeyman

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
Again, only one match proves nothing.

This is better proof than the others because they are higher up players.

But, GERM is not at the level of Isai, so it isnt perfect proof.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
lol @isai spamming 10 nairs on germs Link. anyways... germ loves getting four stocked by any of isais characters so.... =b

The King

Smash Ace
It also doesn't help that 95% of smash vids on youtube have no date or reference of date as to when they actually took place. The set between Germ vs Isai happened like, over 2 years ago. Both sides have gained things in their favor in this matchup, but it's pretty much stayed the same. Fox has upper hand, but that should go w/o saying.

Lol, I guess while I'm here I'll also add that Link has the natural advantage vs Jigglypuff. Taking away styles and mindgames and all that, Link has the upper hand by somewhere between +1 to +2 on a scale of -4/+4 as far as advantageous matchups go. Link's Nair and Bair eat through pretty much every single move jiggs has, and Link can just power his way into puff's defense if he wishes. Puff can't really trade/clank anything against Link's Dair, and same with Uair. Dsmash is a great way to keep puff airborne, as the shieldstun pushes a nearby puff pretty far away, and has little lag once finished. Projectiles **** puff once they start connecting, and a bomb can easily lead to an Uair/Dair finisher from Link. If jiggs is extremely keen, it might get a rest *opportunity* once every 2 stock. Not an easy matchup, as Link can combo jiggs from like 0-60 with efficient randomness and priority. Meh.

King Out

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
I think we can believe him. He knows Germ.

Yeahh I have no arguments against him what so ever.

I acctually agree for the most part.

I'd like to figure a way to beat foxes with Link though. I'll do it eventually, even if its in Brawl with rebalanced moves haha.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
You cant. any fox player smart enough to spam shffld nairs (like isai did) will **** link.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
lol, go for it. I'll also put up Thunder vs Aniki and this vid of Aniki losing to some nub Shiek player.

Deva

Smash Lord
Lol, not sure where You got the idea Giga Bowser counters Link. Then again I've never played a skilled Giga Bowser so what do I know :laugh: .

Aesir

Smash Master
not many have played a skilled giga. my reasoning behind it was simple.

He has alot of weight and for reasons that escape me a recovery that is pretty amazing. he should be able to survive and just continue to assult link. But link can combo him pertty well, and vise versa so its even. lol

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Link can only combo Giga Bowser well at very high damages >.>
At lower %, Giga Bowser can easily attack Link while taking damage <.<

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
No way, Giga owns Master Hand.
Actually, every character in the game owns Master Hand >_>

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
rawr!
I don't think it's right for someone who's never stepped into a tournament should make a counter list for Link (no offense smashfan34).
Also, smashfan34 doesn't really use great logic...

um..lol? Now add that to the fact that he's somewhat of a biased Link fanboy.

Link Matchup List:

Counter Link:

Giga Bowser
Sheik
Fox
Falco

Link simply has the lower hand:

Cfalcon
Y Link

Link goes even:
Marth

Link has a slight advantage:
IC
Ganon
Mario
Doc
Pikachu

Link has the strong upper hand:
Peach
Samus
Jigglypuff
Luigi
DK

One-sided match up for Link:
Roy
Ness
Zelda
Bowser
Yoshi
Kirby
GW
Mew2
Pichu
This thread has matchups for all characters, not saying it is infallible:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92025

If you don't feel like reading it according to this list:
The above thread implies the following about Link's matchups (matchup strength indicated in parentheses):

Also, the matchup strength is out of 9 matches.

Peach, Luigi, DK, Roy, Yoshi: even (5 to 5)
Falco, C. Falcon, IC, Samus, Ness: distinct advantage over link(5 to 3 )
Marth, Doc, J-puff, Mario, Ganon, Y. Link: small advantage over link (5 to 4)

Pikachu, Zelda, Kirby, Mewtwo: Link has small advantage (5 to 4)
G&W, Bowser, Pichu: Link has distinct advantage (5 to 3)

Disclaimer: the statements above do not necessarily represent the opions of tarheeljks.

just kidding. I'm not going to claim to know enough about all the characters to debate the veracity of this list, but I do think that the NJ's list has Link at an advantage over too many people. I'm not awesome w/Link, but not bad either and I've been destroyed too many times by people who were at or slightly above my ability (and of course by others far better than me). I just pasted in the link to the other thread because it views link's matchups a lot differently than this one. Also, this list has some pretty hot debate surrounding it b/c it's this thread except for every character; check it out sometime.

Skler

Smash Master
Phanna does not play Link. No Link players posted on that thread about Link's matchups (and if they did, then phanna either ignored them or they didn't mention all of the matchups). Just look at the matchups of Link vs Ness, Mario, Doc, Samus and ICs.

The differences between the lists are that one is made by somebody who plays Link and the other is made by somebody with roughly no Link experience. Besides, NJz accepts that Link sucks, but he still knows Link does good against a lot of the characters, just none of the ones that are used heavily in tournies.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
@sklyer: I understand your point, but it seems like you are suggesting that phanna is hating, which suggests to me that you are a bit of a fanboy. Also, it's not necessary for him to be a pro link to analyze the matchups. Anyway, the truth probably lies somewhere in b/t being a fanboy/hater , but that's what these forums are for anyway. . .

SLH

Smash Journeyman
phanna's list for link is.. bad. just because someone sais that doesn't mean that they hate phanna. his list for link is innacurate, this one is accurate.

honestly, if CF, marth, fox, falco, ylink, and sheik weren't in the game, Link would be top tier with no bad matchups. he's mid-tier cause everyone plays fox and falco, so link players do bad in tournaments.

Skler

Smash Master
@sklyer: I understand your point, but it seems like you are suggesting that phanna is hating, which suggests to me that you are a bit of a fanboy. Also, it's not necessary for him to be a pro link to analyze the matchups. Anyway, the truth probably lies somewhere in b/t being a fanboy/hater , but that's what these forums are for anyway. . .
Knowing Link's matchups does not make me a fanboy. It is necessary to have played Link or know people who play Link and get their idea on the matchups, you can't make an accurate chart of them without knowledge. Phanna may edit the matchups, but they were VERY wrong the last time I checked the thread. Link has an advantage (or at least goes even) against a lot of the characters, he just happens to suck against spaces/shiek.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Updates:
Link > Kirby, good vs. Puff, Ness still runs pretty even, Doc disadvantage, Mario even. PM for discussion.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the original poster of this thread.Its a rough draft but very accurate on how he labels the sections.Nice work.

EDIT- I would also add that this is a draft of links match ups with people of the same skill level in tourny play or advance play.It is not how you personally do at home playing with your 14 year old sister or what you assume by watching videos...

technomancer

Smash Champion
Tell your Doc friend to play gayer and be quicker against your SHFFL. I'm telling you, if Doc knows how to get around your janx and combo, you're done sir.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Tell your Doc friend to play gayer and be quicker against your SHFFL. I'm telling you, if Doc knows how to get around your janx and combo, you're done sir.
that would be true if link didnt have about 2-3 times the reach as doc in everything he does

doc cant cape boomerangs but he can hit them, but he cant hit bombs safely.

Link's nair is amazing in this match its almost all you have to do since it has more reach than i think all of doc's moves, except for maybe that wierd rubber bair of his. it also breaks pills and in some cases combos, it's really something.

Skler

Smash Master
Doc and Mario can mess your bombs up IF they know how to do it. Reverse capes or early capes send bombs flying back at Link. Not that they are really a problem, but it can get annoying.

On a side note, Mario is harder than Doc for Link IMO due to his longer reach on almost everything and throw combos to fsmash and usmash. Seems easier for Mario to start combos on Link although his finishers are worse then Docs (plus Doc is easier to combo and has a worse recovery).

Uairs are a ***** and can bring you all the way across FD with either character. The closest either Doc or Mario go is being even, and it's still a close match assuming both people know what they are doing.

Mr.C

Smash Master
no matter what people say play a good peach/marth any link will be *****.

link really sux vs

sheik, fox, falco, cf, jiggly

link sux vs

peach, marth, doc, mario

link is ok against everyone else.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I do not understand where everyone is coming from when they say "Samus and Link are even" or "Samus beats Link". As NJ'zFinest stated in his original list, Link has a strong advantage over Link. The only Samus I've ever had trouble with was HugS, but he is just 200x better than me so it's not a good example. All Link has to do is stand still and absorb Samus' projectiles by means of the Hylian Shield.
My best friend/rival uses Samus as his main and he uses his projectiles to create openings for follow up attacks. Example: He uses very good spacing as Samus and he will spam missiles, with his blast already charged to pressure me (Link) not to counter the missiles with my attacks, like boomerang spamming, then if I just stand there and block with the hylian shield. He might dash towards me after shooting afew missiles and try to tackle+some combo (or cc the dash followed with a blast or smash/tilt, he likes to keep me guessing) very quickly right as the missile hits your hylian shield so instead I try to power shield that last missile/blast to kill his appoarch. Also, you lose ground everytime that missile hits your hylian shield unless you move up inbetween missiles which can get you hit if timed poorly. He uses wavedash+couch-canceling+down tilt/smash alot in defense to keep from getting in the air which I chunk a boomerang upwards above him and sometimes with a bomb throw to create an opening to try for my appoarch with Link to smash or grab him followed with combos if he is in the air. He is very good at dodging grabs and smashes unless that boomerang hits him on it's way back to me in which case I can juggle him then. But, If he gets me unbalanced in the air, he will murder Link with his sex kick/bair followed by missiles/blast and with Link as heavy as he is, he can time his projectiles very well so I can't make it back if I get sent out uphigh to the right/left side of the stage. If I get sent out low or he doesn't have time to shoot I can just b+up spin attack or sweetspot my hookshot back up to the ledge easy.

Over all, I think I am alittle better then he is but we are very close in skill and both pretty good imo. We seen tons of pro videos like ken, aniki, ect. We have played like 45000+ matches in total on vs mode on my memory cards record and we have been playing since melee was released in the US and played ssb on n64 since US release. We have been to one singles tournament so far (not many around where we live sadly) that was for ssbm that had over 150 people sign up, most of them sucked tho. I took 1st place and he got 2nd losing to me in the finals.

Anyway, I think for Link vs Samus, Link has a very small advantage over Samus or Samus has a very small advantage over Link or they are even but I don't think either one has huge advantage over the other.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I hated it when people simply use their best friends as examples instead of actual good players.

Trevyn says Link beats Samus and he beat HugS, I think that's good enough >.>

Mr.C

Smash Master
trevyn also said link ***** peach

he also said he ***** peach and never loses to them

while proceeding to be 3 stocked by s.o.s's peach who doesnt even use peach then 2 stocked by his sheik, at sex2.

lol =]

Top Bottom