• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Matchups - Someone who knows what's he's talking about

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
fox and falco slight advantages not counters....
According to the best smash bros players....they are. When looking at the numerous battles between good Link players and space animal players...they are. Or they at least have an enormous advantage....but a slight advantage? LOL, maybe you should stop playing your little sister's Fox and Falco. Link only has fast faller combos vs these two characters...and he can't even combo them well on every stage. Fox and Falco combo him well wherever and out spam the hell out of him. "Lasers>>>Link" as Trevyn (Zarelid) would say. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe us Link players are wrong. Maybe the best players out there are wrong and Top Cat is right....

nah :ohwell:
link murders falcos recovery...[
Falco has one of the worst recoveries... WHO DOESN'T MURDER FALCO'S RECOVERY???

....and that's the only example you gave for Link vs Falco

Also, Fox and Falco are one of the better characters that have a good time edge guarding Link.
come on njz step ur game up
stfu, I hope you're joking.

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
Alright from what I have read here there seems to be a lot of arguments, I like seeing that.

I've been to about 5 tourneys and fought characters of all kinds of skill levels.

Y. Link and Link are about even when it comes to evenly skilled players. Y. Links speed balances the lack of power.

Y.Link Dair is deadly too, as well and Dsmash. They both are good for killing.

Link has spin spike, and his UAire is also a very good up killer, DAir is good as well.

When you go into the projectile area, Y.Links are better, hands down. Bombs have more effect, Arrows have more effect, and you can do more with the boomerang.

I am a decent level Link player, I am not god at all. But from what I have played that is what I have seen. Sure it can go into more detail and further arguments can come, but overall they are about evenly matched.

Skill level of players is the biggest factor though.

As for the Jigglypuff deal, I have not played too many, overall I think Link has the general upper hand, but if they can use Jigglypuff right (which the ones I played could>.<) Jigglypuff can almost easily win, evil recovery, and the deadly...... rest.

I love lamp

Smash Apprentice
fox and falco slight advantages not counters....link murders falcos recovery...come on njz step ur game up
Its not slight at all. lolol

my team partner, just recently picked up fox. He wins 80% of the time, theres only a few instances where I would win. A I get an early spinspike kill or be were on dream land.

Fox counters link

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
Not always.

I am not a great Link player, just decent.

Some of my friends play Fox, and I can win roughly 60% of the time over them.

It has to do with the skill level of the players, me and him are about even.

And there has been some at tournaments who were better skilled than I was, and I could put up a fight to them with Link, they never won easily on me.

Its all skill based.

Basically you can use the famous quote here.

"The sword is only as good as the warrior who weilds it"

The character is opnly as good as the one using it.

I could take up fox and lose to everyone I played, because I dont know how to use him strategically.

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
Not exactly. I know plenty of people who can play Pichu and Bowser at a decent level.
I have also seen videos of them played good too.
There are no 'bad characters', that is an opinion.
There are characters that are harder to use than others are though, some people then think they are bad that way because they are hard to master.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Not exactly. I know plenty of people who can play Pichu and Bowser at a decent level.
I have also seen videos of them played good too.
There are no 'bad characters', that is an opinion.
There are characters that are harder to use than others are though, some people then think they are bad that way because they are hard to master.
i take your entire post as an insult that is directed entirely at me.
there are certainly bad characters, take your anti-tier garbage back to gamefaqs

i belived i've achieved a pretty good "mastery" of bowser, and he is most certainly terrible, not bad, TERRIBLE.

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
That is not at all what I had intended.
These topics can be taken from many views.
It depends on the person.

My stand is simply that any character can be used effieciently.
That could change through different things however. I still have a while to go before I master every character.

There are flaws to it however. So my opinion is open to change.

Tian

Smash Apprentice
I think Link rules over Pikachu, Luigi, Kirby, Yoshi, Mario, and Dr. Mario.

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone else noticed how far off topic this thread went?

Gimpy, feel free to IM me if you wish to finish our debate, I'm well open to your knowledge on it.

You are a bigger known player than I am, so I'm interested in what you have to say.

Skler

Smash Master
Not always.

I am not a great Link player, just decent.

Some of my friends play Fox, and I can win roughly 60% of the time over them.

It has to do with the skill level of the players, me and him are about even.

And there has been some at tournaments who were better skilled than I was, and I could put up a fight to them with Link, they never won easily on me.

Its all skill based.

Basically you can use the famous quote here.

"The sword is only as good as the warrior who weilds it"

The character is opnly as good as the one using it.

I could take up fox and lose to everyone I played, because I dont know how to use him strategically.
See, the thing is the quote you used assumes that everybody is using a sword. Let's say your **** good at using that sword, making you a great warrior. Let's say somebody else has a gun. Do you think your skills with a sword will save you from that gun? Maybe, but the gun guy has a huge advantage over you because he has a better weapon.

Skill matters a ton, but once you reach metagame (like Gimpy's bowser or Ken's marth) the character starts to matter quite a bit.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
just a little detail thats irkin me...IMO falco counters link wayy more than fox does ( even tho fox has u throw to u air and wave shine to u smash....). Link goes even/slight disadvantage vs. Peach and gannon. I **** noob peaches...its the ones who actually camp and downsmash that get me.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
link counters ganon, haven't you ever played OoT.

hahah Masa, what the hell am I doing in this thread anyways.

but yeah, I really had no idea link had an advantage on so many characters, but it's true. the most played characters in tourney's are the ones that destroy link.

and falco vs link is annhilation for link. Falco is a bigger counter than shiek I'd say for the triforce of courage.

link should get a tipper, that would be dandy.

Skler

Smash Master
Gimpy, you ARE the best bowser aren't you? I just used an extreme example, really extreme.

I never found camping peaches that tough because she throws like a little girl (blatant sexism) and Link can outspam those turnips or at least match them. The downsmash is annoying, but you never need to get that close to peach, just space yourself. Link has an advantage on peach. I've never played any really good ganons, so I've got no idea on how that matchup goes.

Fox is still a tough matchup because if they wanna be techy then can waveshine you across whatever level you are on and then u-smash or whatever. At least when you get hit by Falco you can do some things (and he can't edgeguard Link as well as Fox). I hate them both but hate shieks more.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
the best bowser certainly would not lose to a mediocre link, only a really high level link should be able to keep up

and no, i'm not the best bowser, arash is better by a teensy bit

but i'm the most cutest boozer eva fo sho xD

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
but i'm the most cutest boozer eva fo sho xD
ahahahha, probably true.

Yeah after debating with Gimpy a bit I realized a few of the things.

Oh and that point about the gun, that was a good one, it is possible for a sword to outdo a gun, just its really unlikely, you'd have to be a shogun.

But yeah, I'm still iffy on some of the counters people put up there, but there are some I can see now.

Link can actually counter Marth though, depends on skill level being even though, as long as you can use Link in a right style he can counter Marth.

Oh and as a warning, if any of you ever play me, if I can get you off the stage, you're basically screwed. =]

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha, wasnt meant to be, it was a joke. Because I have nearly mastered edge gaurding with Link.

I am a Link player, at a decent level. Been to a few tourneys, I'm nothing too hot though. SO if you are a good Gannon you might win.

I'm just good at different spike tricks with Link, my whole crew knows it because they get pissed because I pull it off a lot haha.

Skler

Smash Master
LOL YES. Not really though, granted she is hot with a capital T.

Can you guys see why Pixel deserves a FAQ now? That man is genious.

Back on topic time.
@Link countering Marth...There is no way Link counters Marth, he may have an advantage (very stage dependent) but he never counters Marth. Unless the Marth can't deal with projectiles (and every good Marth can) Link goes even or has a slight advantage/disadvantage depending on the stage.

This thread loves to go off topic for a page then get back on just to be derailed again. What a fun topic!

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
I said it.

Sure marth is good at countering items, but if the Link can spam them right Marth will have trouble keeping up.

At least that is what I have seen.

It may be more even and I just get stuck against bad Marths.

Though all Marths suck, except Ken haha.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
yea, Azen (who beat PC Chris) sucks. NEO (the amazing negro Marth) also sucks. Oh, and Mew2king (the one who 0-death comboed Ken and almost beat him in Marth dittos) also sucks.
:p

SpincycleofDOOM

Smash Apprentice
why do people take every sarcastic thing I say seriously on here?

I'm a sarcastic guy so get used to it hahaha.

I make BBQ out of falco =]

Anyways regardless of the facts of how much link does suck or not suck. I'm sticking with him, he's my favorite character, and I'm gonna go as a far as I can with him. I'm not really in it to make a name for myself. i just wanna see how far Link can go.

Top Bottom