• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I was talking about the tournament actually. but I'm hoping to have another stream on saturday to test the commentating and editing. I was gonna let you know when it was more certain.
Oh ok. I'll see if I can go on Saturday. I'm interested in making character tutorials.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Oh ok. I'll see if I can go on Saturday. I'm interested in making character tutorials.
Sounds good. You can start planning them and then we can see about getting the footage. I'll let you know when we get together.

By the way, the idea on Saturday is to train for doubles, so let Roxer know.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I was hoping link's meta wouldn't be perfect pivots...I'm so damn garbage at them

Also I don't know how to bomb slide using A-stick, only smash-stick

Last edited:

LinkHarper

Smash Rookie
As my title states, I'm a rookie, so I'm not too sure at what specifically was nerf'd with Link, but all I know is my FG matches have been bad lately and it takes a lot of HP damage for me to finally get KO's now.

Is this just me?
Literally my last 10 matches I've had my opponent to at least 120%+ HP and still lost most of them.. :(

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys, with Link's Dtilt, was it the Base Knockback or the Growth Knockback that was nerfed?

Anyone find it completely ridiculous that Luma's 1-2-3 jab is a KO move? How does that not warrant a Nerf?

Also, I'm not using the term 'ridiculous' in the sense that it's 'overpowered'. I'm using it more along the lines of 'stupid' because that's what it is, stupid. A jab combo that can kill someone vertically is downright poor design.
Well, Pit's Jab is a KO move too. Though that is at high %.

so i just got reported for spamming with Link and i realised that the guy might have been partially responsible for the 1.0.6 nerf, at least one of the many people whining about him.
:/. That's just stupid.

Thats ****ing hilarious, we should all try and get reported and see what happens in the next patch.
I am actually curious as how that would end now.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
As my title states, I'm a rookie, so I'm not too sure at what specifically was nerf'd with Link, but all I know is my FG matches have been bad lately and it takes a lot of HP damage for me to finally get KO's now.

Is this just me?
Literally my last 10 matches I've had my opponent to at least 120%+ HP and still lost most of them.. :(
Did you rely on canceling your Jabs before the patch to secure the kill? That may be why.

I don't ever have trouble killing on For Glory though. Everyone on their just rolls right in your Dsmash. You don't even have to work for the kill!

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII

Is this just me?
Most of our kill moves are above %120 anyway. What were you doing pre-patch?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
CPUs are known to have the best DI.
100% agree with this. It is so annoying versing CPU and using a Rapid jab, watching them escape after two and missing the finishing blow and then you get trapped in a rapid jab and can't escape. So annoying .

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
As Elessar said on some thread (maybe here), it is really useful to abuse more of our pivot game. Pivot F-tilt has been one of our best move against aereal approuches (not so good against grounded, even when the shield stun is good, our CD is semi-bad), as it can catch our opponent in the air. The same can be said about pivot bomb toss (pivot toss and JC bomb toss has similar results in distance). IDK if other pivot moves can be done so easely as Ftilt and bomb toss (in particular, is it easy to do pivot Utilt?)
I believe double jabs can be pivoted quite easily as well. Good for reading rolls.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Damn. I change my mind now. Link is way too fun.

I've been using pivot f-tilt and spin attack OoS more . I feel like I'm actually playing much better without fishing for jabs all the time, its weird in a good way.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been very busy irl.
I played vs a great Duck Hunt on AiB today; he was PRed on the east coast. Smart/defensive DH are a PAIN to kill. I learned a lot though. This is one MU where Hylian shield is useful. We didn't have customs but quick fire arrows would have been extremely good in this MU.
Link's shield pressure is complete c***; he had maybe 1/3rd of a shield left and a double Fsmash still didn't break it. I don't think shield breaks are realistic vs good players.

I wish Link had Brawl's ATs but SSB4 Link's stats. He was really dumbed down.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The problem with Rosa's jab combo killing isn't inherently the fact that her jab combo kills... Robin's jab combo can kill too, along with others.

It's the fact that Luma in particular can kill with a jab combo... From almost anywhere on the stage with the right percent. Meaning they can assert pressure from the opposite side of the map and possibly kill you by tapping A a couple times with minimal to no risk.

Sakuria plz

:093:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
No no, don't be crazy. Link's clearly God Tier. He needed a nerf more than any body in the game. In fact, let's nerf all his projectiles too since he can spam better than anyone.

You know what? Screw it, let's just strip him down to his hat and let him fight with a cardboard cutout of what used to be his Master Sword. No Hylian Shield either. That's the only way Link will be fair.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Three days ago everyone was sad and stuff, now we're all pumped to step up our game and overcome any obstacle. Hooray! :D
Now if only he had the stats and moves of Hyrule Warriors Link.

. . . Actually, I would enjoy a "rushdown fancy swordskills" version of Link far more than just spam and camp.
Just don't take my bombs.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
CPUs are known to have the best DI.
Well before 1.0.6 I was using pikas down or up throw(can't remember which) to thunder easily and they kept getting spiked by the cloud and killed by the explosion they probably just can't DI throws very well but everything else they have god level DI

I can't comment on the perfect pivot stuff because I can't perfect pivot I need to learn how to do it I have a 1 in million chance to actually pull it off

About Nintendo's nerfing system of nerfing a characters useless moves (I mean any move) what if they know a technique with that nerfed move that would make the character god tier and would mop the floor with anyone on the roster or it might be for glory scrubs just complaining which Nintendo shouldn't be getting advice from to nerf and should just ask top players what to nerf and buff to make the tiers more closer together

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Now if only he had the stats and moves of Hyrule Warriors Link.

. . . Actually, I would enjoy a "rushdown fancy swordskills" version of Link far more than just spam and camp.
Just don't take my bombs.
Hey as long as I get the combos of Hyrule Warriors, you would see no complaints from me. Combined with the HW Link alt costume... *grabby hands*

In other news, I believe a Gay main has found his way onto our boards.
Well before 1.0.6 I was using pikas down or up throw(can't remember which) to thunder easily and they kept getting spiked by the cloud and killed by the explosion they probably just can't DI throws very well but everything else they have god level DI
Lemme give you a hint. uthrow goes straight up, dthrow doesn't. And why do you say 'before 1.0.6'? Are they DI-ing away now?
I can't comment on the perfect pivot stuff because I can't perfect pivot I need to learn how to do it I have a 1 in million chance to actually pull it off
practice is a wonderful thing
About Nintendo's nerfing system of nerfing a characters useless moves (I mean any move) what if they know a technique with that nerfed move that would make the character god tier and would mop the floor with anyone on the roster or it might be for glory scrubs just complaining which Nintendo shouldn't be getting advice from to nerf and should just ask top players what to nerf and buff to make the tiers more closer together
Jab1 canceling wasn't useless. It was far from useless. Unless you're talking about our dtilt being nerfed - which I doubt because your whole post screamed of ignorance, I have no idea what you're talking about.

"Nintendo" (read, Sakurai) doesn't know any ATs about characters unless its brought to their attention. The only reason that link's jab cancel was removed, is because the great people who run game balancing saw this video (that now nearly has 100,000 views - which is huge for any smash vid, especially an AT vid) and due to poor information gathering and even less thinking (they should have only removed jab1->jab1 "infinite" instead of removing jab entirely), they removed the tech.

All ATs that will ever be removed, will be found by someone who doesn't work for Nintendo.

I'm trying to quote part of your last sentence here but it's such a fragmented run-on- ugh
Nintendo... should just ask top players what to nerf and buff to make the tiers more closer together
That's... actually not that bad of an idea, actually. But it will never happen. They'll keep on running balances based on matches that are reported to them by salty scrubs.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I was hoping link's meta wouldn't be perfect pivots...I'm so damn garbage at them
We were just talking about regular pivots though, as easy to do as a pivot grab.

I can't pefect pivot well either, and the timing isn't easy with Link. I never cared that much about tech skill anyhow: sometimes a man needs to realize it's just a video game, and decide he has better things to do, like trying to smash rocker chicks (see what I did there?).

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
We were just talking about regular pivots though, as easy to do as a pivot grab.

I can't pefect pivot well either, and the timing isn't easy with Link. I never cared that much about tech skill anyhow: sometimes a man needs to realize it's just a video game, and decide he has better things to do, like trying to smash rocker chicks (see what I did there?).
I don't perfect pivot with Link, I just pivot ftilt and it works wonders. There is no reason for perfect pivoting if you have the A stick because jab is useless and we can't smash out of a perfect pivot. Our only option thus is ftilt, which you can do without perfect pivoting. Now, if we had a reason to use jab, or you have c stick set to smash, then yes you need to perfect pivot to pivot smash and pivot jab.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I don't perfect pivot with Link, I just pivot ftilt and it works wonders. There is no reason for perfect pivoting if you have the A stick because jab is useless and we can't smash out of a perfect pivot. Our only option thus is ftilt, which you can do without perfect pivoting. Now, if we had a reason to use jab, or you have c stick set to smash, then yes you need to perfect pivot to pivot smash and pivot jab.
You can do tilts out of a perfect pivot I thought? Or is it not worth it to do?

FSK

Smash Ace
You can do tilts out of a perfect pivot I thought? Or is it not worth it to do?
I've never encountered a situation while playing where I thought "Damn I wish I had perfect pivotted that". I think atleast perfect pivot is not that useful.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I used to think a lot about Perfect Pivoting back when we had a reason to jab. Then it was a nice idea. Now though? Perfect pivoting is no more than a gimmick for Link as he is now.

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
So, I dunno if this means a lot, but I went to a tournament, in which I placed 12th, and when I attempted a jab, even if only one, nobody punished me. Also, when I made a wall of projectiles, I was able to hit them with an up close move, then I could rushdown. If it looked as though they would regain neutral, I would reset the situation. This seems to be pretty solid for Link, and many people congratulated me for my above average Link play, and for being able to take a game off of the best player in the state. What I'm saying is, Link's meta may have to rely on the player's ability to reset the neutral. Also, I'm going to see if I can switch to rushdown, should the opponent be able to make it through the wall and sucsessfully hit me.

On a side note, I'm looking at the possibility of best Link in my state.

Top Bottom