• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
After playing for a while yesterday I'm somewhat confident about finding a new good meta. It's hard, he's less viable and playing with him is a pain again, but I think we can make it work. What has changed for me is that I'll be using my secondaries in the tourney for the first time (I usually go all Link) because there are some impossible MUs I don't plan to lose against simply because of my char.

Asi said in the meta, I think that pivots will be more essential now based on the matches I played yesterday. Pivots and bombs. Time to pick up the spam.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
:4link: will always be my main, I don't care how horrible he is (he's still good as it stands now). I secondary :4falcon:&:4sheik: to make up for it when there's trouble, but again, I'll never be dropping Link as my main. Like, ever.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
:4link: will always be my main, I don't care how horrible he is (he's still good as it stands now). I secondary :4falcon:&:4sheik: to make up for it when there's trouble, but again, I'll never be dropping Link as my main. Like, ever.
If I facepalmed any harder my hand would go through my skull.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
lol. These Link mains. The truest courage lies in continuing to move forward after every setback. Link may never ever be tournament viable, but we'll force everyone to try their best to prove it in tourney.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
lol. These Link mains. The truest courage lies in continuing to move forward after every setback. Link may never ever be tournament viable, but we'll force everyone to try their best to prove it in tourney.
I'm having a custom controller made for myself, and I almost chose one with a picture of Link and a phrase which would be all too fitting now:

The coward tastes death a thousand times; the brave taste it only once.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I've taken down several PR'd players in Georgia and SC in both brawl and smash4 using Link. If they want to beat my Link in tourney they're gonna have to earn their damn win!

inb4emptythreats :awesome:

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
My fellow brothers, in this dark times the only thing we can do is the same thing that we always do... ENDURE! If we can endure this hard times and continue developing the meta of our hyrulian hero, when the next patch comes and Link gets his strengh back, there is nothing they can do to stop our true power... The power of hope, the power of courage, the power of the link mains! And last but not last... They can break our char but they never can break our spirit and love for our green guardian! May the spirit of aniki and deva be with all of us.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
There once was a musician who was renowned for his craft in composition and his skill in performance. Due to what scientists would later discover was lead poisoning, he began to lose his hearing. By the middle of his life he was completely deaf, and was faced with a decision. He would either try and continue his music, writing from his knowledge of music theory and the strength of his inner ear, accepting the possibility that he would go mad and fall into obscurity; or he would accept defeat, kill himself, and become a martyr for his own style and craft. In a letter to his brother he wrote, "I will grab fate by the throat; it shall certainly not crush me completely." This man continued working on music and almost singlehandedly ushered in the next era of music, creating revolutionary pieces that are still performed, studied, and loved today. Some of his music was considered wild and mad, and wouldn't be accepted until the early 20th century, when it would be dubbed the first glimpses of modernity.

If you couldn't tell, that man was Ludwig Van Beethoven, and his letter, known as "The Einstadt Testament," is where I got the quote in my sig (translated, of course; I can't speak german). That's just something I remind myself of when I'm feeling sorry for myself due to circumstances and setbacks.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Why did they give him so many IASA frames after jab1? 7 frames is ridiculous. I can understand them wanting to stop the lock, but there were so many other ways it could have been fixed.
What they should've done was make it so Jab1 can't IASA into itself. That way, the jab "infinite" would be gone, and Link's kill setup game would no longer be too risky by comparison. Everyone would win. But nope, that would make too much sense.

UUGHH, so yeah, this nerf has led me to be a tad more annoyed than I thought it would. To think that 999's Axe ending would be the second most disturbing thing to have happened to me this week...

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Before i go, let me get this straight: I AM and always will be a Link player at heart. I was naive in focusing on bringing out the potential in ONE character when there's flaws with my playstyle. In order to be more skillful at Sm4sh, I need to play other characters and the skills I learn from them to my own. Right now its a burden to play Link because i've pretty much capped with him. I'm going to main other characters so that once I've reached the skill ceiling, I can go back to Link and really hone in on him. Farewell... for now.
no one cares please leave

By the way guys, Scizor actually *won money yesterday*... with Link! Go check out the Metagame thread for the results and the video archive for his match against DEHF. Fourth place, 5% pay-out. He could go get himself a burger after the tourney, all because he repped Link.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Yeah can I get in too? I'll just copy-paste the old one for now.

"I always admired Link mains — they were true players. They set up a playstyle in their minds—it was adapting; they worshiped an idol there—it was fair play. They looked on every player as their brother, and only bowed their knee to those who shared the Triforce Tier. Separate from the tier *****s, they walked humbly with their character, and lived through all shameless defeats, bonding in thought with all those who had born testimony of a good conscience with the spirit of just players in all ages of smash. Their aspiration after victory was a sigh uttered from the hollows, time-rent, of the Triforce Tier; and their zeal for fair playing was kindled at the fires of KirinBlaze. Their sympathy was always with the underused characters, not the overused. They cherished in their thoughts—and wished to transmit to their posterity—those techniques and combos for discovering which their ancestors had lost countless tournaments, or had pined in desolate smashfests and foreign climes. Their creed, too, was "Glory to Link, and good-will to every man who sticks with his character." This creed, since profaned and rendered vile, they kept fast through good report and evil report. This belief, they had; it was fixed as the stars, deep as the firmament. They made their own hearts altars to the Legend of Zelda, a place of worship for what is true and just in smash; and they feel the greatest character in smash is always near them, and that all who play him work together so he can achieve the place he rightly deserves in smash history. This covenant they kept, as the stars keep their courses; this principle they stuck by, for lack of egoism or lust for money, and it sticks by them to the last. It grew with their growth, but will not wither in their decay. It lives when the almond-tree on Hyrule will again flourish, and is not bowed down with the broken fingers and destroyed controllers. It will glimmer in their last feeble game, will smile through the last bomb they ever pull, and will light a path before them to a social life, when finally they decide to leave it all behind them. It is a better life than that of a senseless Diddy main.

Eight years ago, there was no lovelier Xat in the whole of Smash, nor any more beautiful, by its expression of sweet human dignity and life, than that which was known as Linksmashers, frequented by all those who visited the Allisbrawl forums, including players from the old Link boards whence they came. No grander or greater players every sang to the tune of smash with constant lips; no chats ever lightened during winter with more passionate effusions; no sweeter homes ever hallowed the heart of the passer-by with their pride of peaceful gladness. Never have I seen anything as ghastly in its inner tragedy — not the loss of Kirin to Chibo due to Halberd's hazards — not Aerolink's switch to Diddy — not Lawz's sticking to Sheik — not even Legan's disappearance — as the aspects of reckless, indolent, animal opportunism represented by those who flock to a long neglected character after he is buffed. No godless thought is more appalling than the insolent defiling of those valuable characters by the human herds that abuse them for profit and fame. Our dreams of worldwide success have long vanished, with the earlier dreams of our youth; but we will never be prevented from returning on the wings of imagination to those bright, idealistic moments -- and to those who blasted these ideals, in the fear that they may be achieved, I have but one response: hatred and anger ever-lasting.

I was ready, two years ago, to talk of the old familiar faces —

How some they have died, and some they have left me,
And some are taken from me; all are departed;
All, all are gone, the old familiar faces.

But they were not. They returned, as I did; and with them we will create something that will breath when we have long expired: a Link metagame in Smash 4 for Wii U."
Also here's another Elegy for Lost Links:

“I’ll win more,” was their great vow
And perhaps that’s true, as of now.
But is winning with Zero, in truth
The crowning end of a Link’s youth?
And when money’s given, though Link’s dead,
Is he all happy, has all been said?
And is the heart of Links so light,
Its step so loose, its wishes bright?
No, NO! The bliss of Link mains is one
For the daylight, for the Hyr’lian sun,
For happy feels, and Link’s warm breath—
Link mains dream a bliss beyond Link’s death.
It dreams of playing, while not deep;
Before Link’s once more put to sleep.
They hear a voice within them tell:
Link may not win, but we are well.
‘Tis all most of them acquire
But ‘tis all that they desire.
Some seek for more, and with that all
Lost all respect, in one great fall.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Yeah can I get in too? I'll just copy-paste the old one for now.

"I always admired Link mains — they were true players. They set up a playstyle in their minds—it was adapting; they worshiped an idol there—it was fair play. They looked on every player as their brother, and only bowed their knee to those who shared the Triforce Tier. Separate from the tier *****s, they walked humbly with their character, and lived through all shameless defeats, bonding in thought with all those who had born testimony of a good conscience with the spirit of just players in all ages of smash. Their aspiration after victory was a sigh uttered from the hollows, time-rent, of the Triforce Tier; and their zeal for fair playing was kindled at the fires of KirinBlaze. Their sympathy was always with the underused characters, not the overused. They cherished in their thoughts—and wished to transmit to their posterity—those techniques and combos for discovering which their ancestors had lost countless tournaments, or had pined in desolate smashfests and foreign climes. Their creed, too, was "Glory to Link, and good-will to every man who sticks with his character." This creed, since profaned and rendered vile, they kept fast through good report and evil report. This belief, they had; it was fixed as the stars, deep as the firmament. They made their own hearts altars to the Legend of Zelda, a place of worship for what is true and just in smash; and they feel the greatest character in smash is always near them, and that all who play him work together so he can achieve the place he rightly deserves in smash history. This covenant they kept, as the stars keep their courses; this principle they stuck by, for lack of egoism or lust for money, and it sticks by them to the last. It grew with their growth, but will not wither in their decay. It lives when the almond-tree on Hyrule will again flourish, and is not bowed down with the broken fingers and destroyed controllers. It will glimmer in their last feeble game, will smile through the last bomb they ever pull, and will light a path before them to a social life, when finally they decide to leave it all behind them. It is a better life than that of a senseless Diddy main.

Eight years ago, there was no lovelier Xat in the whole of Smash, nor any more beautiful, by its expression of sweet human dignity and life, than that which was known as Linksmashers, frequented by all those who visited the Allisbrawl forums, including players from the old Link boards whence they came. No grander or greater players every sang to the tune of smash with constant lips; no chats ever lightened during winter with more passionate effusions; no sweeter homes ever hallowed the heart of the passer-by with their pride of peaceful gladness. Never have I seen anything as ghastly in its inner tragedy — not the loss of Kirin to Chibo due to Halberd's hazards — not Aerolink's switch to Diddy — not Lawz's sticking to Sheik — not even Legan's disappearance — as the aspects of reckless, indolent, animal opportunism represented by those who flock to a long neglected character after he is buffed. No godless thought is more appalling than the insolent defiling of those valuable characters by the human herds that abuse them for profit and fame. Our dreams of worldwide success have long vanished, with the earlier dreams of our youth; but we will never be prevented from returning on the wings of imagination to those bright, idealistic moments -- and to those who blasted these ideals, in the fear that they may be achieved, I have but one response: hatred and anger ever-lasting.

I was ready, two years ago, to talk of the old familiar faces —

How some they have died, and some they have left me,
And some are taken from me; all are departed;
All, all are gone, the old familiar faces.

But they were not. They returned, as I did; and with them we will create something that will breath when we have long expired: a Link metagame in Smash 4 for Wii U."

Also here's another Elegy for Lost Links:

“I’ll win more,” was their great vow
And perhaps that’s true, as of now.
But is winning with Zero, in truth
The crowning end of a Link’s youth?
And when money’s given, though Link’s dead,
Is he all happy, has all been said?
And is the heart of Links so light,
Its step so loose, its wishes bright?
No, NO! The bliss of Link mains is one
For the daylight, for the Hyr’lian sun,
For happy feels, and Link’s warm breath—
Link mains dream a bliss beyond Link’s death.
It dreams of playing, while not deep;
Before Link’s once more put to sleep.
They hear a voice within them tell:
Link may not win, but we are well.
‘Tis all most of them acquire
But ‘tis all that they desire.
Some seek for more, and with that all
Lost all respect, in one great fall.
I said this last time and I'll say it again. A book needs to be written about the Link community and Doomfire is the one to write it.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
We have one, big defining difference with this game compared to Brawl, however; Balance patches. They can either buff or nerf Link, which greatly influences our future as loyal Link mains. So lets do whatever is possible to get Nintendo to buff Link again.

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
We have one, big defining difference with this game compared to Brawl, however; Balance patches. They can either buff or nerf Link, which greatly influences our future as loyal Link mains. So lets do whatever is possible to get Nintendo to buff Link again.
Our mission is clear: tank all of the FG matches! Ruin his FG results so he looks bad and convince Nintendo he needs a buff :awesome:

DJTHED

Smash Apprentice
NNID
djthed
3DS FC
1805-3499-5905
Switch FC
SW-1721-8556-4217
Our mission is clear: tank all of the FG matches! Ruin his FG results so he looks bad and convince Nintendo he needs a buff :awesome:
I am surprised at how much I like this idea.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
You know, now it makes me wonder...

Are there really that many dominant Links in FG? I see more Captain Falcons on there than anyone.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Um, guys, why do you think Sakuria hates Link?
He's just jealous that the Legend of Zelda series is infinitely better than his Kirby series and this is his way of exacting revenge.

Triforce tier represent!

Last edited:

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Another big, defining difference is that Link's recovery is no longer the most disgustingly awful thing to ever grace the game of Smash brothers.

It's gonna be much harder after the patch, of course. But be grateful that this isn't Brawl/64.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
He's just jealous that the Legend of Zelda series is infinitely better than his Kirby series and this is his way of exacting revenge.

Triforce tier represent!
Uh, how exactly is he getting revenge on LOZ series?

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Another big, defining difference is that Link's recovery is no longer the most disgustingly awful thing to ever grace the game of Smash brothers.

It's gonna be much harder after the patch, of course. But be grateful that this isn't Brawl/64.
Oh c'mon 64 Link isn't THAT bad. lol
In fact, I'd say 64 Link is better than Smash 4 Link at this rate. At least he had projectile-combo setups in that game. :p

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Nerfed? What nerfs? I thought the only change he got was a damage buff to his spin attack.
And his shield blocks the space animals' lasers now.
But unfortunately, jab 1 got f**ked is the short version of it. His CQC (or what little he had) is completely destroyed now.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You been on our boards for how long and you still need to be spoon fed?

Man up. Do work.
He can't man up. He's both a kid and a gay main. If he manned up he would become a Link or a Ganondorf main. Those are the only men of smash. All else are mere children.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
And his shield blocks the space animals' lasers now.
But unfortunately, jab 1 got f**ked is the short version of it. His CQC (or what little he had) is completely destroyed now.
Yup, all CQC options are too risky. He's been forced to become a campy character yet again. And even then, there are way better campy characters than Link.

I don't even use projectiles that much in the whole LoZ series, seriously.

FierceGaiety

Smash Cadet
jab 1 got f**ked is the short version of it. His CQC (or what little he had) is completely destroyed now.
This makes it so much harder to play Link. Before I used to be able to hit confirm with the jab1 into a smash attack to kill exactly when a character got into kill percentages but now I need to wait until they are much higher percentages to pull off a safer kill move or risk over committing to get kills with the stronger moves. It's a real bummer. Also the new trajectory on his dthrow is throwing off a lot of my low percent combos but that might change as I get more comfortable with it.

Top Bottom