• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
and I will NEVER call it zaw dancing lol
That name is just all sorts of ********. How can people worship an egotistical maniac like him will elude me for the remainder of my days.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Have any of you checked the comments on his Art of Link 2 video lately? I did yesterday and I about near threw up...

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Have any of you checked the comments on his Art of Link 2 video lately? I did yesterday and I about near threw up...
I haven't quite reached that level of masochism and self loathing yet, thank you very much.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Is Izaw not a really strong Link? Maybe I'm missing something but thats probably why people like him.
Izaw is, at best, a slightly better than average Link. He's definitively not the best, and he isn't even a particularly strong Link. People like him because of his tutorial videos (if you made a tutorial video you must be amazing amirite?) and his excessive overhyping of his matches.

In layman's terms, it's all good marketing and PR.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Who's videos should I be watching for some gnarly Link play?
Check the Video Archive thread, it's stickied. @ Dumbfire Dumbfire is our resident expert on Link rankings and tournament performance. However, from the top of my head I'd say KirinBlaze and Scizor. Try to always check out tournament videos, not friendlies. People play different in a tournament than they do in a friendly setting.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My favorite thing about Zaw dancing is how literally everyone rejected it immediately.

:093:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So, I dunno if this means a lot, but I went to a tournament, in which I placed 12th, and when I attempted a jab, even if only one, nobody punished me. Also, when I made a wall of projectiles, I was able to hit them with an up close move, then I could rushdown. If it looked as though they would regain neutral, I would reset the situation. This seems to be pretty solid for Link, and many people congratulated me for my above average Link play, and for being able to take a game off of the best player in the state. What I'm saying is, Link's meta may have to rely on the player's ability to reset the neutral. Also, I'm going to see if I can switch to rushdown, should the opponent be able to make it through the wall and sucsessfully hit me.

On a side note, I'm looking at the possibility of best Link in my state.
Did you throw a jab out or did you actually hit someone with it? I remember that before the patch, characters like Fox who crap all over Link's neutral can simply run in and grab/dash attack just for Link simply throwing out jab 1.

Last edited:

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
Did you throw a jab out or did you actually hit someone with it. I remember that before the patch, characters like Fox who crap all over Link's neutral can simply run in and grab/dash attack just for Link simply throwing out jab 1.
If I didn't use the three hit combo, I mearly used it to bait from afar.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
The problem with Rosa's jab combo killing isn't inherently the fact that her jab combo kills... Robin's jab combo can kill too, along with others.

It's the fact that Luma in particular can kill with a jab combo... From almost anywhere on the stage with the right percent. Meaning they can assert pressure from the opposite side of the map and possibly kill you by tapping A a couple times with minimal to no risk.

Sakuria plz

Exactly. I understand characters CAN kill with jabs, but Rosa is a puppet character and that makes it all the more powerful.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Is Izaw not a really strong Link? Maybe I'm missing something but thats probably why people like him.
To add on to Elessar's post, all those amazing videos he shows off to the audience of him destroying people (the overhyped videos that Elessar mentioned) are all against FG scrubs at best.

What I dislike most about him is the fact that he gives potential future Link mains the WRONG ideas through his videos.

Last edited:

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
My issue with him has always been when he claims an advanced technique was discovered by him, even though it clearly was not. Or when somebody proves he didn't discover it, he claims he "knew about it already" to boost his ego. Either way, it's annoying.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My issue with him has always been when he claims an advanced technique was discovered by him, even though it clearly was not. Or when somebody proves he didn't discover it, he claims he "knew about it already" to boost his ego. Either way, it's annoying.
^
Mostly this.

In the Brawl days, he was very guilty of misleading Links with flashy tactics against really bad players, which made him look really good to someone that knows nothing about the game or character.

I will say, he's definitely not as guilty of that now as he's refined his skills. I'd say he's pretty good now, but not some legend like, say, Deva or Lawz were in their prime.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
but not some legend like, say, Deva or Lawz were in their prime.
Oh Lawz why not play Link once more?
You made the legend, you filled the lore.
I cannot know which char owns you now
With Link’s sad past fading from your brow:
While Ally knew you were passing fair
I never knew a man so rare:
A man who never dared say 'bye'
And knew where Link his pleasures lie:
But now your char's a diff’rent place
Happy to find so fair a face.
Farewell from Link, farewell from the boards
I will sound the last, shattered chords
Calling you great, Link wishing you'd stay here
To main the one char you endear.

Our boards’ honour on your face attends
Men may be foes but Link makes us friends.

:sadeyes:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
...Well ****. I watched his videos when I first started out, and referenced back to them a couple times.
I'm gonna need help fixing that stuff, then.
Don't feel bad, many of us we ensnared by his trickery when we began playing Link (myself included). Once you break free and see Izaw for who he really is, then you can begin to truly improve.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
What I dislike most about him is the fact that he gives potential future Link mains the WRONG ideas through his videos.
This is my main issue with Izaw. He deludes people about he meta or Link's capabilities. As he is, he's more harmful than beneficial to Link's meta game. Specially because...

This. He never contributes. NEVER contributes a single thing other than overbloated tutorials of gimmicky impractical crap that only work vs scrubs. And when he does come over, instead of helping develop the meta he just says some variation of "I knew this already, you guys just finding it out?". Then when we question him he gets all defensive and leaves again. I have always said that I'd have no problem with him if he decided to contribute and become a productive member of the boards, but he's not interested in helping people or developing the meta, only in boosting his ego (which he claims not to care about).

but not some legend like, say, Deva...

Deva tried playing Sm4sh, he's in our veteran chat group. He even posted here. However, he gave up on sm4sh (he currently streams LoL) because badges aren't legal. He says that badges are the tool Sakurai gave us to balance the game for ourselves. While I don't agree, he won't play unless badges are made legal I think (maybe not event hen).

Don't feel bad, many of us we ensnared by his trickery when we began playing Link (myself included). Once you break free and see Izaw for who he really is, then you can begin to truly improve.
I actually arrived tot he boards thanks to Art of Link and Izaw's match vs Calzors (allegedly the best snake in EU). I also thought he was the greatest at first. However, as I learnt more about the game and grew from scrub to semi scrub I started noticing him for what he is. As Zelkam said, as long as you realize and can start learning the game on your own instead of trying to emulate his useless style (watch his tourney match vs Luigi, even Izaw didn't play like Izaw; he played just like we all play) you should be fine.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Deva tried playing Sm4sh, he's in our veteran chat group. He even posted here. However, he gave up on sm4sh (he currently streams LoL) because badges aren't legal. He says that badges are the tool Sakurai gave us to balance the game for ourselves. While I don't agree, he won't play unless badges are made legal I think (maybe not event hen).
Badges?
As in the default pieces of equipment you're given at the start of a new save file in Sm4sh?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I sold all my equipment XD. I was so sick of practising against cpus to test custom moves only to have them random some bull**** equipment. Because 'customisations on' means all customs on, not just the specials (for 'reasons').

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Badges?
As in the default pieces of equipment you're given at the start of a new save file in Sm4sh?
Yes, the ones that modify how hard you hit, how fast you are, how much start or end lag your hits have, if you have auto lag cancel on all moves, and how much kb your char has. Theoretically, with the right combination you can balance the entire cast so everyone has the exact same properties.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Yes, the ones that modify how hard you hit, how fast you are, how much start or end lag your hits have, if you have auto lag cancel on all moves, and how much kb your char has. Theoretically, with the right combination you can balance the entire cast so everyone has the exact same properties.
While that does sound like a pretty good solution to me, it's highly impractical or just straight up awkward to set up on every Wii U.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
We technically have the tools to balance the game, is all what we're saying. No one will do it; but it's good to remember.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Like many people have pointed out, one of the big issues with badges is that they not only influence things like landing lag and such, but they also add or detract from the character's speed, attack, or defense. If I recall correctly, Deva has said that the game would be much more playable (and more akin to melee) if every character used the badges that increased fall speed and auto canceled aerial attacks. The problem comes with the fact that the badges with those effects will always be tied to some random attack, defense, or speed modifier.

If the stats on equipment weren't random then I could see this idea catching on, but as it is I don't ever see it happening.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Are you guys excited for the Avengers: Age of Ultron coming out tomorrow? I know I am XD.

HULKBUSTER ARMOUR!

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Are you guys excited for the Avengers: Age of Ultron coming out tomorrow? I know I am XD.

HULKBUSTER ARMOUR!
I'm personally more excited for Star Wars The Force Awakens, but I can't wait for Avengers 2 either.

On a side note, that BvS trailer was a little underwhelming...

Rizen

Smash Legend
I kind of lost hope for Star Wars after Episode 3: Da Derpy Derp Derp.

I agree the Batman vs Superman trailer fell short.

Avengers looks cool. I'm not a big movie goer but I'll probably see it.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'm personally more excited for Star Wars The Force Awakens, but I can't wait for Avengers 2 either.

On a side note, that BvS trailer was a little underwhelming...
I am excited for that too.

and the Ratchet and Clank movie

And Deadpool movie.

I kind of lost hope for Star Wars after Episode 3: Da Derpy Derp Derp.

I agree the Batman vs Superman trailer fell short.

Avengers looks cool. I'm not a big movie goer but I'll probably see it.
You mean the chosen one? :p

I have been meaning to see the BvS trailer. What is it like (i.e why do you think it fell short?)

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have been meaning to see the BvS trailer. What is it like (i.e why do you think it fell short?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe1LrMqURuw
It tiptoes around the obvious plot of Batman vs Superman (hence the title) but doesn't really show anything cool. Here's Superman: he's here! He's floating and not doing much else. Here's batman, yes he's here too! ...And he's not really doing anything cool besides standing there. Oh look they're going to fight for some unexplained reason! Derp.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Yeah, pretty much the fist thing to cross my mind when I see a movie title such as that is, "Why?" A little information I think would have been better than the blind hype they assumed the teaser would get. Then again, I'm probably wrong and everyone else is losing their minds over this.

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I'm still really jazzed for the Sly Cooper movie next year personally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbXEKZVonko

Been on a pretty big win streak on local and FG lately, I think I'm about ready to start diving back into the tournament scene again. My region is pretty rough considering customs are legal and we've got a lot of really strong players, but I managed to push AeroLink's custom Palutena for 10 matches straight just short of winning any of them, so I feel like I can handle most of the customs as they are. Villager's trip stump is kinda annoying, but I'm camping HIM out so I really don't feel motivated to go anywhere near it.

And I can safely say I've exorcised all of the demons in my playstyle by now. Despite lacking the Jab1 cancel options I'm working with a few options now kinda feeling out my opponents and it's been working fairly well. Jab2 to Shield is funny when people try to N-air out and get PS'ed for a free punish, when they jump over or back I pursue and grab, and on landing to shield I retreat and pull a bomb. I've been capitalizing HARD on Bombstool setups, (positioned just right: Bombstool -> D-air Spike ->DJ U-air totally works at 70%ish)

As a longtime Link main and fellow survivor of the dark ages of Brawl (and some depressing MUs in Melee) I can safely say without a doubt that Link is awful yet again, and the only way you'll take games off of competent players with better characters is to outsmart/campout/outplay them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom