• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Also the new trajectory on his dthrow is throwing off a lot of my low percent combos but that might change as I get more comfortable with it.
That's just your imagination, dude. Dthrow is exactly the same as it was before the patch.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I think Sakuria knows what she's doing @ The Merc The Merc jeez. She'll buff Link in the next update when they add Young Link to the roster.

Frost_Aer0

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really in a position to say Link's nerf is excessive (I don't have the game yet and I'm scrub cuz I don't at enuff ) but I have to say this seems unwarranted. They'll now be what ___ is too powerful nerf Link memes ;-(

edit:Still gonna main Link cause he can actually move (see brawl)

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You been on our boards for how long and you still need to be spoon fed?

Man up. Do work.
>:I.

I did do research. It's just been a couple of days since I last check the patch 1.0.6 update thread (which only had his spin attack buff) and I couldn't find it again. I just want to know what you guys were talking about. Sorry

Have a look at this post:
http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...ast-posts-for-now.378472/page-4#post-19022496

The most relevant change is to his first Jab.
*looks at link*

Hmmm......

Well to be honest it does look like Link actually has more buffs from this patch than nerfs. The jab does really both me as much as you guys as I never used the move (unless of corse this means it's hard for Link to, um, link his jab together).

The on that doesn't make sense is his Dtilt. Why nerf the knickknack that much AND that he can't spike people hanging on the ledge. It's already hard enough to land as it is. Though the improve hitbox on Dair is nice.

Anyway, I can just use my mii now if I want to play as Link :happysheep:.

And his shield blocks the space animals' lasers now.
But unfortunately, jab 1 got f**ked is the short version of it. His CQC (or what little he had) is completely destroyed now.
Oh I knew about his shield buff.

Uh, whats CQC? Crouch something Cancel?

I think Sakuria knows what she's doing @ The Merc The Merc jeez. She'll buff Link in the next update when they add Young Link to the roster.

*sigh*

I do really want Young Link to return. I really do.

Edit: I fixed up my mistake. Happy?

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Well to be honest it does look like Link actually has more buffs from this patch than nerfs. The jab does really both me as much as you guys as I never used the infinite (unless of corse this means it's hard for Link to, um, link his jab together)
And thus, with two sentences, all respect was lost....forever.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
What respect?

@ The Merc The Merc Don't call it an infinite. It wasn't one and it's because of scrubs calling it that that this happened. Stop spreading misinformation, at least here. If you want to spread misinformation go back to the gay boards.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Wait, what?

What respect?
Now wait just a min-

@ The Merc The Merc Don't call it an infinite. It wasn't one and it's because of scrubs calling it that that this happened. Stop spreading misinformation, at least here. If you want to spread misinformation go back to the gay boards.

Can't argue with that.

Though to my defence, I swear someone hear called it that or at least I heard someone call it that some where else. My fault for begin misinformed. Sorry, I'll try to do better research or ask next time. Also, I really don't feel like going back to the gay boards thank you very much.

Close Quarters Combat
Ah. That does make more sense. Thanks :)

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
"Link got nerfed again?" "What, did we win too many FG matches"
Wait wuh, they actually use those to define their balancing decisions???

"We're probably never going to have a tourney viable Link?" "Sakurai hates Link"

BRING IT ON!

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
On a mildly related subject... actually probably not but
My brother noticed that the cpus in 1.0.6 have gotten significantly better, he says they play more "human-like."
If that is the case, I guess FG was used as a method to create more 'realistic' cpus.
I don't play against the AI often (spend most of my time in the lab right now) so I was curious if anyone of you guys noticed any differences in cpu behavior.

If these changes are real, practicing making reads is a little more possible solo, something I could certainly benefit from.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
so i just got reported for spamming with Link and i realised that the guy might have been partially responsible for the 1.0.6 nerf, at least one of the many people whining about him.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
so i just got reported for spamming with Link and i realised that the guy might have been partially responsible for the 1.0.6 nerf.
"Link is super OP; I know because he beat me on for glory. Sakurai nerf pl0x! :cry:"
-a scrub

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
yes, FG reported... i think he was super salty about being embarassed but he changed his tag to "reported" and I'm pretty sure he did.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
yes, FG reported... i think he was super salty about being embarassed but he changed his tag to "reported" and I'm pretty sure he did.
Thats ****ing hilarious, we should all try and get reported and see what happens in the next patch.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
On a mildly related subject... actually probably not but
My brother noticed that the cpus in 1.0.6 have gotten significantly better, he says they play more "human-like."
If that is the case, I guess FG was used as a method to create more 'realistic' cpus.
I don't play against the AI often (spend most of my time in the lab right now) so I was curious if anyone of you guys noticed any differences in cpu behavior.

If these changes are real, practicing making reads is a little more possible solo, something I could certainly benefit from.
I have noticed this as well, but i haven't tested for specific mistakes yet, such as cpus air-dodging while trying to recover no matter where on the Y axis you are while attacking, but I have noticed more solid edgeguarding and better followups. I'll look into it more. My internet hasn't been able to hold FG recently and I live in a scarcely populated area where anyone who has Sm4sh doesn't have time to play, so cpus are about the only challenge I get. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it will train your reads or train current matchups according to the metagame, but it may be a better representation of a given character's options.

Btw, been experimenting a lot more with other setups. J2 seems okay, but I have to sort of crouch cancel into anything and it doesn't seem reliable. Definitely more reliable than j1 now, though. Also been looking into dropkick combos, if you guys remember those from brawl. They seem pretty reliable but I'm just working on ways to get the setup more consistent because just trying to time it is a B.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Do you suppose that they gathered data from people's amiibos to improve the standard ai?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
To be honest I kind of miss Link's jab cancel is gone. I seldom used it to land a free Dsmash at kill %. But now that I don't have that option, I'm forced to go for gimmicks and risky options most of the time. There is a couple of ways to get around this though. Just spam more bombs lol.

Last edited:

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Oh c'mon 64 Link isn't THAT bad. lol
In fact, I'd say 64 Link is better than Smash 4 Link at this rate. At least he had projectile-combo setups in that game. :p
Smash 64 Link would be better than Smash wii u Link if he didn't have the worst recovery in series history.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Anyone find it completely ridiculous that Luma's 1-2-3 jab is a KO move? How does that not warrant a Nerf?

Also, I'm not using the term 'ridiculous' in the sense that it's 'overpowered'. I'm using it more along the lines of 'stupid' because that's what it is, stupid. A jab combo that can kill someone vertically is downright poor design.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Anyone find it completely ridiculous that Luma's 1-2-3 jab is a KO move? How does that not warrant a Nerf?

Also, I'm not using the term 'ridiculous' in the sense that it's 'overpowered'. I'm using it more along the lines of 'stupid' because that's what it is, stupid. A jab combo that can kill someone vertically is downright poor design.
Well, Falcon's jab can kill insanely early %s on the platform of smashville when it's closest to the blast zone. Nerf? Nah.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Well, Falcon's jab can kill insanely early %s on the platform of smashville when it's closest to the blast zone. Nerf? Nah.
Yeah, except I'm talking about in the middle of the stage. Your example includes anyone in the game...because it's on the platform...next to a blast zone...

Do you know what the trajectory 'vertical' implies?

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Yeah, except I'm talking about in the middle of the stage. Your example includes anyone in the game...because it's on the platform...next to a blast zone...

Do you know what the trajectory 'vertical' implies?
Yep. But yeah, the problem I mentioned is probably more of a blastzone issue than anything. This might go for the Rosalina jab as well, along with other things.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Yep. But yeah, the problem I mentioned is probably more of a blastzone issue than anything. This might go for the Rosalina jab as well, along with other things.
No like, if Rosalina lands the jab and Luma ends it with his third jab (not the multihit jab) it sends the opponent UP and can kill from the middle of a stage. It's not complimented by the side blastzones at all.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
No like, if Rosalina lands the jab and Luma ends it with his third jab (not the multihit jab) it sends the opponent UP and can kill from the middle of a stage. It's not complimented by the side blastzones at all.
Well then that's just weird. What is the minimum % at which it kills?

Whenever my friend jab resets with luigi I am so bitter. So so bitter
Well we can double jab retreat. Doesn't work as well but it's something. Edit: nvrmind, thought that read as "retreat". Mah b.
We're depressed and sad right now :( it's a bad time
Same... I'm hoping they buff Link at some point. Let's all start off by losing a ton of FG matches on purpose lol.

Last edited:

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Honestly, we're probably going to be relying on converting bombs to kills at the moment, as jabs are almost certainly out of the window.
Now, how to lure people into letting us Jump-Cancel Bomb Toss them into a follow-up is the question...

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
To be honest I kind of miss Link's jab cancel is gone. I seldom used it to land a free Dsmash at kill %. But now that I don't have that option, I'm forced to go for gimmicks and risky options most of the time. There is a couple of ways to get around this though. Just spam more bombs lol.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
As Elessar said on some thread (maybe here), it is really useful to abuse more of our pivot game. Pivot F-tilt has been one of our best move against aereal approuches (not so good against grounded, even when the shield stun is good, our CD is semi-bad), as it can catch our opponent in the air. The same can be said about pivot bomb toss (pivot toss and JC bomb toss has similar results in distance). IDK if other pivot moves can be done so easely as Ftilt and bomb toss (in particular, is it easy to do pivot Utilt?)

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
As Elessar said on some thread (maybe here), it is really useful to abuse more of our pivot game. Pivot F-tilt has been one of our best move against aereal approuches (not so good against grounded, even when the shield stun is good, our CD is semi-bad), as it can catch our opponent in the air. The same can be said about pivot bomb toss (pivot toss and JC bomb toss has similar results in distance). IDK if other pivot moves can be done so easely as Ftilt and bomb toss (in particular, is it easy to do pivot Utilt?)
Yeah, the first three games here will show pivot Ftilt's use. FG scrubs or not, it shows how excellent it is. FSK uses it well too when baiting.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
So i was playing Majora's Mask and got the Romani Mask, after that i went to check the Milk Bar and i.... was.... AMAZED by the soundtrack. So after that i looked it up on youtube and found a piano version and now i'm addicted to both versions (in game and Piano). My point being, i NEED this song in smash :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXFbRMbGE7g&spfreload=10

Last edited:
Top Bottom