• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
Hey, FSK, I think we played on FG the other night. I know I probably left rather quickly, but I just wanted to say good games, dude. (I think I was using WFT in our match)

FSK

Smash Ace
Hey, FSK, I think we played on FG the other night. I know I probably left rather quickly, but I just wanted to say good games, dude. (I think I was using WFT in our match)
I don't remember sadly, hopefully they were good matches :D

Heero Yuy

#sweg
And no one takes you seriously man, I asked a lot of people about you and they all typed "he free lmfao" so, you sure impressed a lot with your veteran Link.
ROFLMAO, stopped reading here.

Rizen is an amazing Link and you, sir, are high on cocaine. Keep entertaining the internet with trolling, you'll go far! ;)

On a different note I'm now seeing way more Link representation than from top players like Keitaro, which does give me hope. I haven't been watching too much Smash 4 Link footage lately but I've been doing some work in my own lab in other games. Particularly I've noticed a trend in not-so-successful Links who want to be flashy and aggressive, which brings them wins but not tourney victories. Trying to incorporate patience into my game - which is the exact way Link should be played in that he chooses the right option at the right time.

Kinda like Marth...an on-point Link should be untouchable.

Edit: Also since Seagull randomly brought up who he thought the best Bawrl Links were/are, my list would look like Scizor >= Xav1er = Mr. R > Legan > everyone else.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
Lets not make this discussion into who was the better brawl Links, its not productive and won't end well.

Instead I suggest since its halloween times that everyone plays as Dark Link. Anyone else think that the Fiercy Deity Link costume looks kinda underwhelming? at least not as cool as one would imagine.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Ok, I want a reimbursement for all neurons I just killed by reading CoH's replies. Really. I can't even...no, just no...

Moving on. Has any of you noticed that on the new smash when you jump on the ledge, like really on the ledge, you sometimes use your SJ instead of your first jump? I have been able to replicate that but not in a way as to determine the variants. It's annoying and has led to stupid SDs T.T

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
ROFLMAO, stopped reading here.

Rizen is an amazing Link and you, sir, are high on cocaine. Keep entertaining the internet with trolling, you'll go far! ;)

On a different note I'm now seeing way more Link representation than from top players like Keitaro, which does give me hope. I haven't been watching too much Smash 4 Link footage lately but I've been doing some work in my own lab in other games. Particularly I've noticed a trend in not-so-successful Links who want to be flashy and aggressive, which brings them wins but not tourney victories. Trying to incorporate patience into my game - which is the exact way Link should be played in that he chooses the right option at the right time.

Kinda like Marth...an on-point Link should be untouchable.

Edit: Also since Seagull randomly brought up who he thought the best Bawrl Links were/are, my list would look like Scizor >= Xav1er = Mr. R > Legan > everyone else.
I'll end this smooth and painfully.

You all make me cringe, I've never seen anything you all (which is why I did not use any of you as an example). It's funny how you think I care I hurt your feelings (no, I got annoyed from things staying the same and whatever you all type is true).

Funny thing though man, others type I have a better balance than the others. And you all need better self-control (mostly due to the fact that Rizen went off and the subject was officially dead and I ONLY responded to Joe for setting his statement that he's that bad and can never move up or seen good in Brawl).

Once again I'll be the bigger man, my apologies, I spoke and that's that, you can to either choose to think what you want to feel about me (I don't care) that's your own decision to think and feel how you want to feel.

Good luck to all in Smash4, hopefully this time he will be better than how he was seen in brawl. Thanks.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
lashes out with insults and childish demeanour. Proclaims himself the bigger man. lmao.

I think in the beginning in the AiB days there were also some crazy people that went ballistic. I guess theres always gonna be a few that pops up once in a while.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
In case you guys didn't know this yet, because of Link's Down-B throw canceling landing lag, it can also combo break (in much the same way as rush for Megaman)
Have a bomb in hand when you get hit, and toss the bomb with down-B to cancel the hitstun of most moves.
I wish I could capture 3DS footage, but it totally works.
That's intense! I've been very excited these past few days as I've been seeing more and more Link techs get discovered. It will be nice to have a good foundation to build off of once the 21st comes.

EDIT: Purposefully deflecting. Can we be done with this? I'm genuinely embarrassed that our Brawl Link forum drama has found its way over here. I'd really like to keep a social thread in the Sm4sh Link forums so can we just all talk about the new and tasty options that bomb-throw-lag-cancelling is getting us?

Last edited:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
lashes out with insults and childish demeanour. Proclaims himself the bigger man. lmao.

I think in the beginning in the AiB days there were also some crazy people that went ballistic. I guess theres always gonna be a few that pops up once in a while.
No I am, this has gone far enough, everyone is better than me, I'm bad very bad and I should just quit and admit he's a bad character. What you guys say is all right, and none of this is your guy's fault but all my fault. I'll defend the things by myself of course NTAO. And Rizen was just helping by writing a lot to prove everything I say and type is all irrelevant. There you go you got what you wanted.

FSK

Smash Ace
You say you were done but you keep coming back, this is getting a bit sad on your part.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Can we all just ignore any and all posts on brawl Link? It doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks, Brawl is dead. It was a bad game that we all played once it was all there was, but now there is no reason to play it anymore. Brawl will die and be nothing but a footnote, period. Whether Link was good or bad, the game is dead. Period.

Also, CoH. I'm still to see videos of you playing. Mind to give me some links plz? I'm dying to see this completely unique, revolutionary, unstructured, experimental, well balanced Link that you claim to have. I would really like to see it so I can learn something out of it and maybe implement it in Sm4sh.

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
Who is ChangeOfHeart and why are they allowed to play Link? Or post? Talking **** about the top Links of the last age is verbotten. Say what you will about Brawl as a whole, but disrespecting the players of last gen is **** tier.

Now, then, my fellow Link mains, I see some of old faces behind new names. Or old names, in some cases. Let's doff our hats to absent friends who Did Work™, and then continue on doing as we always have. You know, doing work.

How do you guys feel about our hopes for landing above "oh my God, WHY?" on the tier list this gen? I'm optimistic!

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Me as well. Lots of good techs so far and I'm sure more to come. Does anyone know about the current status of custom moves in tournament play? Are Link's even worth using? I saw a demonstration of Link's different customs and am intrigued, at least.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
My fellow Link mains, I see some of old faces behind new names. Or old names, in some cases. Let's doff our hats to absent friends who Did Work™, and then continue on doing as we always have. You know, doing work.

How do you guys feel about our hopes for landing above "oh my God, WHY?" on the tier list this gen? I'm optimistic!
SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!

Y'all don't even know the kind of hype that just entered the room.
How the heck have you been my man?, all hail the return of the master of beer canceling.
Besides that, Do you still have the world's nastiest photobucket? lol Good to see you again.

And BTW everyone else, Link mains have always been the biggest tight knit collection of trolls. That was true before everyone migrated to AiB (Buzz knows this one), and it's true after the return, and so on for the rest of eternity, so for those of you out there prone to being butthurt, welcome to hell and enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Oh wow Shin's back! Now it's official: SSB4 is a go people!
:awesome:

Q In Smash, how many Rosalinas does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A None, Luma does it. Same goes for Olimar with pikmin.
Q How many Ice Climbers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A 2 but once they start it's inescapable.
Q How many Links...?
A 1 but first he has to frame trap it with his boomerang and arrows, then bomb footstool it to FF Nair to jab lock, then he can screw it in.
Q How many Zeldas?
A 1, provided the light bulb approaches her.
Q How many MKs?
A None but the job gets done anyway; he's that broken.
Q How many Ganons?
A 1 and it gets screwed in hard but only a small percentage of the time when the bulb does not shut Ganon down and Ganon goes down with the bulb too.
Q How many Pokemon Trainer Pokemon?
A 3. Squirtle starts to wear it down then Ivy comes, throws the bulb and switches to Charizard to finish the job.
Q How many Bowsers?
A 1 if he can grab release screw in the bulb, otherwise who knows?
Q How many Wolfs?
A 1 but just B-air-ly (barely).
Q How many Mr.Game and Watches?
A 1 and he makes it look easy, unless the bulb's high tier then forget it. Same goes for DeDeDe.

(^This is based on Brawl except Rosalina)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And BTW everyone else, Link mains have always been the biggest tight knit collection of trolls. That was true before everyone migrated to AiB (Buzz knows this one), and it's true after the return, and so on for the rest of eternity, so for those of you out there prone to being butthurt, welcome to hell and enjoy your stay.
Yours truly has witnessed some crazy events happen, both on the web and in real life, so warm welcome to hell (no pun intended) accepted. This Fierce Deity's body is ready.

Also, kudos for posting that flashy Persona 4 GIF.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Yours truly has witnessed some crazy events happen, both on the web and in real life, so warm welcome to hell (no pun intended) accepted. This Fierce Deity's body is ready.

Also, kudos for posting that flashy Persona 4 GIF.
Srsly like: Afro, Shin, Blubba, AeroLink, Anonano, Lootic, and many others a while back were some of the most sophisticated yet diabolical trolls I've ever seen, and I have no end of popcorn material thanks to them.

And Yeah man, I was looking for one from the game when Yu first get's Izanagi and JYB does the most cathartic yell on the planet, but that one will suffice. Always good to chat it up with fellow SMT: Persona fans.

Does anyone know about the current status of custom moves in tournament play? Are Link's even worth using? I saw a demonstration of Link's different customs and am intrigued, at least.
Might differ from region to region, but TX has them banned in favor of the native balancing patches as they come.

Of Link's specials: Non-Gale Boomerang is so good I seriously wish it were OG instead, Ripping boomerang at up close is basically a free F-smash for Link, Power Arrows are great on full charge and can kill like 2ndF-smash but very poor otherwise, piercing arrows are great for doubles but OG arrows are better overall, Power Spin is hella strong but gives Link his N64 recovery (:link64:), Wind Up-B does no damage but makes WARIO jealous of Link's mobility, giant bombs are slow and unwieldy, and meteor bombs don't spike until mid-high % and can screw you badly if you think you can bombjump.

I personally go 1-2-1-1 since the only one that has a definitive edge over OG is boomerang (feels soooo good)

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey so, serious post coming up.

To my surprise I haven't seen this discussed anywhere yet. It's something that the Toon Link boards have been working with for a while now.
Ok so you all know about that new bomb tech, the bomb lag cancel, that allows you to cancel hitstun and landing lag by hitting down-b while you're already holding a bomb. But did you know that you can throw the bomb in any direction, not just forwards, when you do this? The Toon's have come to call this the multi-directional bomb lag cancel, or MDBLC for short. I took the liberty to add both techs under Link in the 'character specific jargon' section of my latest thread, the smash dictionary. I figured it was just common knowledge at that point, but I haven't seen it discussed on the Link boards in any way.

To save you the trouble of heading over to my thread, I'll copy/paste the relevant sections below.
"BLC"- Bomb Lag Cancel. Hitting down-special while you’re already holding a bomb to cancel 'hitstun' or 'landing lag'.

"MDBLC"- Multi-Directional Bomb Lag Cancel. This allows you to cancel hitstun and landing lag by throwing the bomb in any direction. Choose the direction you want to throw the bomb in with the joystick and Hit attack/grab then Instantly Hit Down-special. Presumably easier with a c-stick.

Oh and if there is any commonly used jargon that you guys still use that isn't already in the dictionary in some way (e.g. does anyone still use stuff like 'zedge') then could you do me a favour and let me know (and let me know what it actually is just in case I don't know).

I went back to my old thread in the link boards (secrets of the seven sages) to look for possible Link jargon, and man, it brought back memories. That was probably my favourite thread, hands down. And it was purely because of you guys. The input you guys gave and the life you breathed back into the Link boards after all that time. We ended up finding some pretty sweet stuff together. So for what it's worth, thank you so much, we had fun.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Shin is Shin. Period. There is no way of even trying to describe his epicness. I mean, we have a meme around a part of his body. How can you beat that?

Now about customs, Zane, I actually like meteor bombs. Not only because of the meteor effect, though I like it a lot, but also because of their combo capability. Meteor bombs have no knockback but they stop the oponent dead on their tracks and leaves them wide open due to a short hitstun they do have. Also, their meteor effect is good enough while on stage at all % so you get a proyectile that can extend combos, work as a combo breaker or a deterrent for an approaching oponent since when you BLC them onto an approaching oponent they stop right there, are open for almost a second, and you are free to do whatever. Also, they're the best MC tool while on stage since you don't bounce back from the meteor effect. I agree, it is dangerous to have one in your hand off stage, even more so with their 3 sec fuse, but I am enjoying them so much. Also, they don't explode even when thrown right on the floor, so you can have them laying down over the map effortlessly and thus gain somewhat of more stage control.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I can agree with most of that Elessar, but "personally, I prefer OG bombs"
Having a near garunteeable second recovery is awesome since characters live forever in Sm4sh, and normal bombs have enough hitstun themselves for follow ups. Take your pick really, shorter fuse aside the two only differ on knockback trajectory up&outward or downward. Just find out if you prefer aerials or grounded attacks and go from there. :)

You guys are also aware DACUS is totally still a thing in this game right? Sheik still has it, but there's no really telling for Link since dash attack is different. I remember bombsliding once or twice in the Best Buy demo, so I'd assume that's still in too, just not really doable on 3DS.

EDIT: God, my fears on the matter of disconnects were horribly right... I queued up for a match on FG, the game crashes itself behind a nice little bush in the woods and nintendo bans me for it... nice job guys, kick me when I get pushed down the stairs. SMH

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Heh. Link is currently really fun to play.
And this Fierce Deity costume... *drools* I couldn't have asked more from nintendo.

Also, welcome back folks, I'm "kinda" new, and don't know any of you yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And this Fierce Deity costume... *drools* I couldn't have asked more from nintendo.
I guess I'm not the only one who was ecstatic when that costume was revealed, but I stopped drooling in excitement loooonng ago. I'm sure we all have our inner child, though.

I remember nominating that costume in @Groose's Rate Their Chances thread, but it was never actually rated due to being a very late nomination. I would have given it a 20% chance rating and a 100% want rating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I know you prefer them Zane, I just thought I'd talk a bit about how awesome I think meteor bombs are, not trying to chenge your mind. I mean, it's all about personal preference with custom moves since all of them have pros and cons, which is what makes them so damn great imho.

ScizorVX

Smash Apprentice
i feel like i should get more in touch with the link community instead of posting random L: on random days i know what characters destroy link who link walls who he goes even with i've been quite busy with collecting my own data at tourneys any questions fire away L:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I know you prefer them Zane, I just thought I'd talk a bit about how awesome I think meteor bombs are, not trying to chenge your mind. I mean, it's all about personal preference with custom moves since all of them have pros and cons, which is what makes them so damn great imho.
Have you seen if a meteor bomb placed on a platform will spike an opponent through said platform? I think this would add to it's viability even more. I think I'm still with Zane on preferring the original bombs but I have yet to play so I have no idea and am open to trying new styles.

If I did use the meteor bombs, though, I think I would opt for the wind up-B and just practice mobility with it since I never really got into the habit of using up-B to attach (preferred SH or FH options out of shield as a whiffed up-B meant certain death, usually).

@ S ScizorVX I would be interested to know what moves you usually end up sealing the deal with. I have seen that some new moves have been added to Link's list of viable killers but I want to hear what you find ends up doing the trick most of the time.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I haven't tested meteor bombs on platforms since I've only played on the Omega version (FD version) of the stages. I should test it though and report on it. Also, you should try them, they are a bit different from normal bombs sot hey take some getting used to, but I love them. Normal bombs are still awesome, but meteor bombs add a very good baiting and/or gimping tool.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I figured, i just wasn't quite sure as the demonstration I watched didn't really do the best job of showing their applications. To be fair, you can only do so much with 1p training mode but still. Guess I'll just have to wait till the 21st!

ScizorVX

Smash Apprentice
Have you seen if a meteor bomb placed on a platform will spike an opponent through said platform? I think this would add to it's viability even more. I think I'm still with Zane on preferring the original bombs but I have yet to play so I have no idea and am open to trying new styles.

If I did use the meteor bombs, though, I think I would opt for the wind up-B and just practice mobility with it since I never really got into the habit of using up-B to attach (preferred SH or FH options out of shield as a whiffed up-B meant certain death, usually).

@ S ScizorVX I would be interested to know what moves you usually end up sealing the deal with. I have seen that some new moves have been added to Link's list of viable killers but I want to hear what you find ends up doing the trick most of the time.
U-Tilt is links best kill move imo and now Smash 4 it kills extremely well then dsmash after that fsmash kills slightly early but its dumb now that its 2 hits unless you hit it like a tipper or space the first hit of fsmash to get the second which most of the time doesn't hit right L:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Fsmash kills slightly early but its dumb now that its 2 hits unless you hit it like a tipper or space the first hit of fsmash to get the second which most of the time doesn't hit right L:
In much the same manner that plagued Tink in Brawl, at high % 1stF-smash anywhere other than the tip will send the opponent lightly upwards. IMO best timing for F-smash is around 60-90% since 2ndF-smash is ARMY strong. Alternatively a lot of people panic when the 1st hit connects and doesn't tip, so you could bait a poor reaction and punish accordingly.

Scizor is right U-tilt is great and can be used easily out of jab1 and sometimes jab2. The backwards hit of D-smash is also good but needs either to be used punishing, or requires a great read to land. I feel that the forward hit is poor for killing until super high% but maybe you could get an U-air on a foe that tries to FF airdodge since the attack lingers. D-air spikes are pretty hype, but not safe until the opponent is in special fall. F-tilt IMO is kinda under rated but still slow to be considered a good kill option (again needs a good long punish opportunity)

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Anyway at all to cancel first swing of Fsmash into a Utilt, since you mentioned it pops them lightly up when not tipped? Or am I picturing the knockback for 1st hit Fsmash incorrectly?

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
It's good to be back, gentlemen. Just got the game today, so I'm pretty far behind the new meta and techs, I really want to learn Palutena once I've got Link and Ganon's basics down, because my brother HATES her, and my goal in life is to make him suffer. Siblings.

I love bombs. I love them. I always did, it bears repeating, bombs are like a wife who stays hot and interested in sex. Or something.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Anyway at all to cancel first swing of Fsmash into a Utilt, since you mentioned it pops them lightly up when not tipped? Or am I picturing the knockback for 1st hit Fsmash incorrectly?
Nah the knockback would be alright for it, but the ending of F-smash1 is too much to make it work, too easy for opponent to DI away, or N-air you out of it.

Z-air is gonna be a huge improvement on Wii U from the 3ds since we'll be able to fire it retreating, and with proper spacing. I speculate we may be able to bombslide still, and I would LOVE for Nintendo in a patch down the line allow Link to Z-drop without clawshot natively.

FSK

Smash Ace
It's good to be back, gentlemen. Just got the game today, so I'm pretty far behind the new meta and techs, I really want to learn Palutena once I've got Link and Ganon's basics down, because my brother HATES her, and my goal in life is to make him suffer. Siblings.

I love bombs. I love them. I always did, it bears repeating, bombs are like a wife who stays hot and interested in sex. Or something.

just go through blubba's guide and you will be all set!

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Clawshot coming out on Link isn't as nearly as annoying as it is when your playing Toon.
His IZAC is a lot easier to perform when I was messing around with him and I'm not sure why. Think it's cause you can pretty much Nair at any given moment with Link being so heavy. He's going to have much better usage out of it.
Has anyone been looking in to this Jungle Japes clawshot nonsense some more by the way? Swinging in to the water and landing on the stage with the tether out allows for some awesome slip n' slide momentum :p

Bomber7

Smash Hero
All this talk of Link really makes me want to go play in a tournament. Too bad I'm sick... and have work on tournament days. :(

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I don't own either console for Smash 4 but definitely gonna be a Link player either way. Once a Link, always a Link.

Now, let's see if I can find any familiar faces...

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Btw, I'm still waiting for CoH's videos.

Also, I remember you Terywj from the Disco Room, last year or so.

Top Bottom