• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
That's true about FG Shin, but once in a while you'll run into really good people, or so I'm told. Also, random wifi (FG) is based on a ranked system, so you need to play enough to climb the rank and start getting better opponents.

Or so we're told by Sakurai.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I haven't been to a tourney in about a year :( The last one I went to I didn't enter because it took 7 hours to start and I was worn out. I got good friendlies in though.
7 hours? Dear lord, what happened and why wasn't the TO run out of town?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Zane, I've gotten around to trying all the custom moves for Link, and I agree with you, the regular Boomerang is AMAZING! I love it. I also really like the power bow. Granted, you can't spam it and so Link is forced to work more with the boomerang and a bit more aggro, but so far I find that the set up I have works just fine and is a beast for combos. It's Power Bow, Boomerang, Spin Attack (regular upB), and meteor bombs.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Played in an online tournament on Saturday hosted by DistantKingdom on Twitch(his 2nd tournament so far). Placed 21st out of 60 entrants. I would've gotten further in the tournament if I didn't end up facing the soon-to-be finalists, which were KingArc [MegaMan] and Thouvexed [Sonic] (IGN: pachi). It was double elimination, so KingArc beat me in the winners bracket 2nd round while Thouvexed beat me in losers 4th round. I was gonna get a replay of the KingArc matches, but I forgot. I managed to get a replay with Thouvexed, though.

They played their characters really well. In the grand finals, I believe Thouvexed switched to Shiek, but KingArc beat him 3-1 with MegaMan. Those were some really intense matches. I always wished that I would make it to the finals and everyone looking at my Link like "Holy crap his Link is really awesome!" I would probably lose, but at least I would make it to the finals.

Someday, everyone will see how vastly different Sm4sh Link is from Brawl Link. Someday...

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
That's true about FG Shin, but once in a while you'll run into really good people, or so I'm told. Also, random wifi (FG) is based on a ranked system, so you need to play enough to climb the rank and start getting better opponents.

Or so we're told by Sakurai.
I see. Well I do come across competent players here and there, I'm mostly two stocking people despite having NO IDEA what I'm doing in Smash 4 so far. Match ups? Don't know them, I'm just gonna sit here and jab out of shield until your percent is high and then give you the sword. You outprioritise my jab and can frame trap me? Well, ****. Good thing I played Link in brawl, get your boots, it's going to rain.

Most of my losses (not counting the oddball lagfest here and there, I SD to end those quickly) simply come out of not knowing the match up against my opponent and doing the wrong thing too long before I wise up.

Also, Palutena is truly God awful, it's a shame. Still learning her though.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Something great that I felt when picking up Sm4sh for the first time int he demo was that Link is...Link from brawl but better. As in, he is improved but his playing style is essentially the same. The characteristics of most of his moves remain the same sot hat's a HUGE boost for us atm, the learning curse is less steep than, for example, falco mains who have to learn a whole new char.

Plus, we have been hardened by Brawl. Stupid mechanics are breakfast for us. We are the Fremen and the Sardaukar of Smash.

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
You're not wrong, it feels just like Brawl Link. Really dislike the Dair change, though.

It's amusing having decent priority on Link's disjoint. I remember in Brawl clanking AT BEST with almost any attack, now while that still happens, there are some characters we do in fact out prioritise and it's just so great.

Since I don't need to wear my tryhard hat I've just been practicing jabs in FG, and what they lead into against people. jab1->Grab seems legit, though if you go to jab2 it seems there's more delay before you can do anything but jab 3, I could be wrong though, since this is wifi testing.

The thing that's stuck out to me most though is that there are characters I can seriously just stand and jab against and they have to rethink their approach. Pikachu for example seems to have to find a way at me from above or force me to whiff my jabs to approach from the front, because I can stab right through his projectiles, dash, his own jab, and his tilts. It's... Beautiful.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Anyone else loving Smash 4 Link way more than Project M Link? He just handles way better and seems to feel more responsive. Especially without needing to l-cancel everything. Jump squat isn't nearly as long as in PM either. The only thing I might miss are the awesome combos you could do in PM and his Melee spin attack which could've been a custom move. I would've preferred it over the electric spin attack anyday. If they gave that a semi-spike, I would've been satisfied.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Plus, we have been hardened by Brawl. Stupid mechanics are breakfast for us. We are the Fremen and the Sardaukar of Smash.
That's understandable. however, i always find myself cringing whenever someone spams boomerangs more than bombs/arrows or when there aren't any new ATs utilized. Link has tons of more options than he did in brawl, so he shouldn't feel as restrictive. Let your minds be open to the new link. You can't play melee like smash64, you can't play brawl like melee, so you shouldn't play sm4sh like brawl.

_Relapse_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9930-5001
Played in an online tournament on Saturday hosted by DistantKingdom on Twitch(his 2nd tournament so far). Placed 21st out of 60 entrants. I would've gotten further in the tournament if I didn't end up facing the soon-to-be finalists, which were KingArc [MegaMan] and Thouvexed [Sonic] (IGN: pachi). It was double elimination, so KingArc beat me in the winners bracket 2nd round while Thouvexed beat me in losers 4th round. I was gonna get a replay of the KingArc matches, but I forgot. I managed to get a replay with Thouvexed, though.

They played their characters really well. In the grand finals, I believe Thouvexed switched to Shiek, but KingArc beat him 3-1 with MegaMan. Those were some really intense matches. I always wished that I would make it to the finals and everyone looking at my Link like "Holy crap his Link is really awesome!" I would probably lose, but at least I would make it to the finals.

Someday, everyone will see how vastly different Sm4sh Link is from Brawl Link. Someday...

Better luck next time. Keep at it and someday it will be your Link in the final.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You can't play melee like smash64, you can't play brawl like melee, so you shouldn't play sm4sh like brawl.
I agree, I'm not saying that our meta should be the same, just that the fact that we don't have to relearn our char from zero is a huge pro.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I've just been practicing jabs in FG, and what they lead into against people. jab1->Grab seems legit, though if you go to jab2 it seems there's more delay before you can do anything but jab 3, I could be wrong though, since this is wifi testing.
Nope, you're absolutely correct, jab1 is going to be your jab to option in Sm4sh as jab2 has more frames before IASA. Jab1->U-tilt is a nice killer at high% btw. Funny thing is people love to mash N-air to escape jab, but jab->D-tilt punishes that habit perfectly.

Rizen

Smash Legend
With vectoring, do we still use our fastest aerial like with Brawl's momentum canceling? If not Link could immediately pull a bomb after every launch.

PS
I finally got the lv3 Hammer for Darunia in Hyrule Warriors :grin:. That mission is a pain. Some warriors are just bad :glare:

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
With vectoring, do we still use our fastest aerial like with Brawl's momentum canceling? If not Link could immediately pull a bomb after every launch.
Don't get what you quite mean here. Isn't there a little bit more hitstun from getting launched? You can cancel the tumble animation with toss canceling, but from prior brawl experience, I've always used Dair every time I get sent flying. Not sure how useful it is in Sm4sh, though.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Guys, a thought occurred to me. I don't know if this was mentioned, but perhaps it bears more discussion.

Remember Marth's Vertical Spacing AT in Brawl where he could Footstool into a Dair spike? (I don't know if a counter was found, but assuming it wasn't...) Now that Link has a Dair spike on the first few frames, could Link also have Vertical Spacing in a similar manner?

If he does, this could possibly give Link a good visual reference point to input the spike safely (i.e., make sure you're high enough above your opponent so that you can footstool before inputting the command) if not give him a decent tool to more reliably spike offstage without fast falling to his demise.

I've yet to test this myself, since I more-or-less just thought of the idea, but I thought I should share in case it hasn't been deliberated and if others have time to experiment with the idea in my stead until I have time to test. Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^I have no idea if that would work (footstool>rising Dair right?). But that's an interesting thought if it does. It wouldn't have worked in Brawl but IDK how fast Dair starts in SSB4.

FSK

Smash Ace
It doesn't work sadly, you can test it in training mode by making the computer jump.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
With the increased hitstun the amount of time before momentum canceling is possible has been increased, but in all honesty just understand vectoring as being able to DI inwards. DI away from knockback trajectory up to a 90 degree angle still works, and can help you out of some lower% strings quicker, and anything less than 90 is vectoring. Basically DI to increase knockback and/or change your trajectory in a specific direction, and vector to cut knockback depending on how heavy your character is.
MC still works but to a lesser degree when you're in hitstun, but with a toss cancel Link can MC almost immediately after throwing the bomb. So now more than ever, try to keep a bomb in hand when you're getting hit.

Remember Marth's Vertical Spacing AT in Brawl where he could Footstool into a Dair spike? (I don't know if a counter was found, but assuming it wasn't...) Now that Link has a Dair spike on the first few frames, could Link also have Vertical Spacing in a similar manner?
After some testing, Rising D-air on footstool won't work on anyone. With a shorthopped footstool you'd be able to FF and catch up with them, but by the time you reach them they we'll be able to act again. It might work on DHD and other characters whose recoveries have no attack priority or property, but all the opponent needs to do is airdodge and Link is utterly boned for FF on D-air. Purely my conjecture on this note, but Megaman may be able to Up-B out of footstooled tumble, so it'd be even less doable against him.
It's a neat thought, and setups like those would definitely give Link more options, but you'll probably want to file this one under /situational.

Also, it's a fairly simple offshoot of toss canceling, but if you z-drop a bomb to linger on the stage you can totally SH aerial and toss cancel after.
At 0% with a bomb sitting in front of my opponent I SH F-air->toss cancel-> and follow up with another F-air and did 41% on a 5-hit combo.

Last edited:

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Ah, darn. I kinda expected this, but I guess it was worth considering.

Thanks for the initiative, gentlemen!

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I need to get this off my chest now. It's been really bugging me, and it bugs me more not to say it.

It seems that my Link is just different from everyone else's. Ever since I learned toss-canceling, I started revolving my meta around this, leading to lots of projectile spamming and toss-canceling. I believed this was revolutionary for Link's meta (and still do), so I sorta expected everyone to learn this AT and implement it into their meta somehow. I guess I got really ahead of myself.
You see, I learn things very quickly. I adapted to the Sm4sh environment quickly once I got my hands on the demo and started to develop my meta. I never look at matches involving Link until I play one myself because I try to shape my strategy the way I want it first before looking at other people's strategies. I'm very open-minded, so the result ends up being something that surprises me.
I expected everyone to think the way I did, but this is usually never the case as I've come to realize. Everyone thinks differently, everyone acts differently, and everyone learns differently.
I guess you could say this is just a way of saying I'm sorry for being overly-critical of a match or getting mad at something when I shouldn't be. I'm still learning myself, and I admit to beating myself up over a mistake I've made, big or small. I'm saying "I'm sorry" for all the harsh/critical things I have said in the past or will say in the future.

EmbarrassThere. I said it. :redface:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^I don't have SSB4 until the 21st but in Brawl everyone's Link was different. Link's a great character in the sense that he's so versatile and good for improv.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I need to get this off my chest now. It's been really bugging me, and it bugs me more not to say it.

It seems that my Link is just different from everyone else's. Ever since I learned toss-canceling, I started revolving my meta around this, leading to lots of projectile spamming and toss-canceling. I believed this was revolutionary for Link's meta (and still do), so I sorta expected everyone to learn this AT and implement it into their meta somehow. I guess I got really ahead of myself.
You see, I learn things very quickly. I adapted to the Sm4sh environment quickly once I got my hands on the demo and started to develop my meta. I never look at matches involving Link until I play one myself because I try to shape my strategy the way I want it first before looking at other people's strategies. I'm very open-minded, so the result ends up being something that surprises me.
I expected everyone to think the way I did, but this is usually never the case as I've come to realize. Everyone thinks differently, everyone acts differently, and everyone learns differently.
I guess you could say this is just a way of saying I'm sorry for being overly-critical of a match or getting mad at something when I shouldn't be. I'm still learning myself, and I admit to beating myself up over a mistake I've made, big or small. I'm saying "I'm sorry" for all the harsh/critical things I have said in the past or will say in the future.

EmbarrassThere. I said it. :redface:
I'm not sure why you haven't figured that out a while ago lol. Link can fit many play styles. More so in this game than in previous iterations. You can be aggressive, campy, or anywhere in between with him now because he has the tools to make it happen. Much like his Project M self, only more accessible imo.

Anywho, I've been able to pull off a few Nair> Jab> Dthrow> double Bair combos. It's really hard to pull off though. What do you guys think? Legit or naw?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Anywho, I've been able to pull off a few Nair> Jab> Dthrow> double Bair combos. It's really hard to pull off though. What do you guys think? Legit or naw?
Dthrow> double Bair is pretty legit. Idk about the Nair>jab part though since I haven't successfully landed it on a human opponent.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Dthrow> double Bair is pretty legit. Idk about the Nair>jab part though since I haven't successfully landed it on a human opponent.
N-air to jab works as long as it's the sourspot and doesn't knock them away (i.e. high%) and even has a chance to trip grounded opponents. Jab to D-throw is risky if the opponent knows what to do, but works well enough, and so on and so forth with B-air

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
N-air to jab works as long as it's the sourspot and doesn't knock them away (i.e. high%) and even has a chance to trip grounded opponents. Jab to D-throw is risky if the opponent knows what to do, but works well enough, and so on and so forth with B-air
What I meant to say is that the opponent can shield the Nair and grab you out of it, especially if you try to sourspot it. This combo is great for punishing air dodges or even spot dodges, but I find myself hitting shields when I try to Nair the opponent.
Does Double jab>dthrow>double Bair work as well or is the second jab a bit laggy?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
My guess is, if they fly a little bit too far to jab, you can go straight to grabbing them instead. That reminds me. Zair to grab is legit as well. Not sure why I don't use it much.
What I meant to say is that the opponent can shield the Nair and grab you out of it, especially if you try to sourspot it. This combo is great for punishing air dodges or even spot dodges, but I find myself hitting shields when I try to Nair the opponent.
Does Double jab>dthrow>double Bair work as well or is the second jab a bit laggy?
Link's second jab is definitely a bit laggier and gives you less frames to act out of. Though it may be possible, it would definitely be the more difficult alternative.

On the other hand, does anyone know for sure how legit jab> Dsmash is? I've landed it quite a few times, but I don't know how guaranteed it is.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
My guess is, if they fly a little bit too far to jab, you can go straight to grabbing them instead. That reminds me. Zair to grab is legit as well. Not sure why I don't use it much.
For sure? Zair goes further than his grab range and hits twice, putting the opponent a decent distance away from you, so I think you can end up whiffing with it. Not entirely sure about this, though. I'd have to see it for myself when I have the time.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
For sure? Zair goes further than his grab range and hits twice, putting the opponent a decent distance away from you, so I think you can end up whiffing with it. Not entirely sure about this, though. I'd have to see it for myself when I have the time.
It's definitely legit. The opposing character just needs to be close enough to you when you hit them with Zair and you might need some forward momomentum to grab them more easily. This was actually in Brawl, only difference is that there's more hit stun and Zair is practically lagless. It's a guaranteed follow-up.

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046
would this be the right thread to discuss link as a main, along with tactics/strategies and advice?
link has been my main ever since smash 64 so i have a great deal of experience with him.
however i'm VERY new to these types of forums so i don't reaally know what i'm doing regarding the best place to be.
tbh i'm astounded i managed to navigate myself even here!

Rizen

Smash Legend
would this be the right thread to discuss link as a main, along with tactics/strategies and advice?
link has been my main ever since smash 64 so i have a great deal of experience with him.
however i'm VERY new to these types of forums so i don't reaally know what i'm doing regarding the best place to be.
Welcome :) This is the social thread and should be fine to discuss most topics. Just keep posts within the global rules.
http://smashboards.com/help/terms

FSK

Smash Ace

You've managed to navigate yourself to the cradle of Link's smash 4 metagame. That is a good start! If you have questions regarding Link you could post the in the Q&A thread. If you wanna learn about Link you can read the "[Guide] "It's Freakin' Link!" - A look at Link in Smash 4" thread by Blubba. If you have vids you want critiqued you can post those in the video thread. If you find something metagame changing about Link you can make a new thread about it :)

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

That is all.

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046
Welcome :) This is the social thread and should be fine to discuss most topics. Just keep posts within the global rules.
You've managed to navigate yourself to the cradle of Link's smash 4 metagame. That is a good start! If you have questions regarding Link you could post the in the Q&A thread. If you wanna learn about Link you can read the "[Guide] "It's Freakin' Link!" - A look at Link in Smash 4" thread by Blubba. If you have vids you want critiqued you can post those in the video thread. If you find something metagame changing about Link you can make a new thread about it :)

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

That is all.
thanks guys, that's really good of you :)
tbh, as long as this is a grown up place that sticks on topic, i'm cool with it!
thanks for the specific thread references FSK, i'll be sure to check them out :)

one thing in particular i find interesting is how much people rave about link's bombs; is there something i'm missing here that would help my playing style?
personally i seldom use them; i find the time it takes to get them out to be a pain and opponent know you're obviously gonna throw it at some point soon.
i use the boomerang/arrows to build up a bit of damage if there's distance between me and my opponent but i can't stand the idea of being one of those sad players who runs to the other end of the field and spams projectiles.

i understand and appreciate that doing so is a legitimate method since projectiles can be used whichever way you wish but personally i'd feel cheap being a spammer.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Welcome.

Now, my advice, which helped me a LOT when I first started playing competitive, is to play vs other more experienced people, ask them to critique you mercilessly (even the slightest amount of mercy will wreck this process and leave you a scrub), and watch as many videos as possible of other players to get a decent idea of how to play your Link.

Now, concerning spamming with Link, Link is a spammy char. It is part of our metagame and you shouldn't shun it based on...anything really. Thank god though this game isn't Brawl, where Link was so underwhelming that if you didn't resort to spamming you would die really fast when playing with top competitive players. Link can actually be quite aggro now, at least for the time being, but spamming his projectiles is still an essential part of his meta game. So embrace it, enjoy it, and relish when your opponent calls you cheap and rages over not being able to approach. If you manage to do that, then gratz, you're doing it right.

Concerning bombs...bombs are amazing, but I can understand how using them appropiately can be...confusing. For that, again, watch videos. We have a video thread in here where you can start by simply watching the posted vids and when you see something you like, make note of it (as in, go back and rewatch it so you can understand what happened and how did it happen).

Finally, about being cheap as a spammer...no you're not. The only people who'll call you cheap are baddies who can't play and don't want to improve, learn or adapt. Really good players won't call you cheap...they'll zone in pasta ll your projectiles and smash in your face. So go ahead and use the tools that the game itself gave you. Create a wall of your projectiles to rack up dmg and then bait or move in for the kill.

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046
Welcome.

Now, my advice, which helped me a LOT when I first started playing competitive, is to play vs other more experienced people, ask them to critique you mercilessly (even the slightest amount of mercy will wreck this process and leave you a scrub), and watch as many videos as possible of other players to get a decent idea of how to play your Link.

Now, concerning spamming with Link, Link is a spammy char. It is part of our metagame and you shouldn't shun it based on...anything really. Thank god though this game isn't Brawl, where Link was so underwhelming that if you didn't resort to spamming you would die really fast when playing with top competitive players. Link can actually be quite aggro now, at least for the time being, but spamming his projectiles is still an essential part of his meta game. So embrace it, enjoy it, and relish when your opponent calls you cheap and rages over not being able to approach. If you manage to do that, then gratz, you're doing it right.

Concerning bombs...bombs are amazing, but I can understand how using them appropiately can be...confusing. For that, again, watch videos. We have a video thread in here where you can start by simply watching the posted vids and when you see something you like, make note of it (as in, go back and rewatch it so you can understand what happened and how did it happen).

Finally, about being cheap as a spammer...no you're not. The only people who'll call you cheap are baddies who can't play and don't want to improve, learn or adapt. Really good players won't call you cheap...they'll zone in pasta ll your projectiles and smash in your face. So go ahead and use the tools that the game itself gave you. Create a wall of your projectiles to rack up dmg and then bait or move in for the kill.
i got no problem playing experienced people tbh.
i could do with advice really - i play as :4link:,:4tlink: and:4gaw:.
although this is the first game where i've ever played online; i've always been the best in my family so it would be nice to come up against some really good opponents who could help me improve my existing character usages.
i have a lot of experience with link but i've never discussed SSB tactics and things with people outside of my immediate family, so i'm sure i could learn a lot from the posters on here :)

yeah i suppose you're right - he has 3 different projectiles which will obviously limit the variety of non-projectile based attacks he can have, making him more predictable at close range.
don't get me wrong, i spam to an extent but it's not something i've ever done before so i suppose i'll need to get used to it.
yeah bombs confuse me a lot - i'll definitely watch videos on them and i welcome any advice you or other posters can give me regarding them :)

P.S: i could do with advice about my next serious character to play with should be
i've played around with the roster and narrowed it down to :4bowser:,:4ganondorf:,:4metaknight: or :4zelda:
ideally i want a heavier character that has a different style to my currently used ones, although i used zelda a LOT on brawl and i feel like i could be really good with meta knight if i trained with him more.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Daigo Umehara... That's all I say to people who get mad at projectile zoning. Try calling him a scrub lolz.
Next Character out of the ones you mentioned I'd recommend :4bowser: if you want wins as he's probably the best of the 4. Fast, Strong, tricky, and heavy, all the neccesary traits for a lightning bruiser of epic proportions.

I remember back in brawl when 80% of the Link mains (myself included) secondary'd :4marth:.

Anyone else feel like maybe discussing good doubles partners in the future? Doubles seems kinda broke until certain strats get adjusted, but I feel that Link is a strong doubles character under fair circumstances.

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
I never played Marth as even a tertiary character. All Link, All Day, because It's Freakin' Link.

Also, welcome, Lucio. Link mains are all right guys, don't let what the other character boards say make you believe otherwise. I mean, yes, we are trolls and it is ENTIRELY possible Brawl finally made us snap, so our advice and actions may not always make sense, or even come across as approaching anything even remotely close to what can objectively be called 'sane'... BUT, we Do Work™.

So put your faith in the bombs and throw bull**** at your enemies until they SD out of frustration.

[I'm also kind of warning you ahead of time to not take us too seriously]

Top Bottom