• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
What a game.

EDIT: LOL the objection.

:093:

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I didn't know it was based off of taking damage and for a certain frame count. I assumed it was only if you were in hitstun as you passed it.

:093:
Well now you know. I knew it was based on dmg but I never noticed that Fox's laser didn't induce this. Maybe it's triggered by hitstun but you don't need to be in hitstun, obviously.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Well now you know. I knew it was based on dmg but I never noticed that Fox's laser didn't induce this. Maybe it's triggered by hitstun but you don't need to be in hitstun, obviously.
Good point. So any attack that causes dmg and hitstun

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So I just got through reading Shakespeare's The Tragedy of Caesar or something like that, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind if a Zelda game had any story aspects inpired by its plot. I love riding the emo train sometimes lol. @ Dumbfire Dumbfire

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
So I just got through reading Shakespeare's The Tragedy of Caesar or something like that, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind if a Zelda game had any story aspects inpired by its plot. I love riding the emo train sometimes lol. @ Dumbfire Dumbfire
The best thing in that play is Lucius falling asleep while playing his instrument the night before the battle.

—It is no matter;
Enjoy the honey-heavy dew of slumber.
Thou hast no figures nor no fantasies,
Which busy care draws in the brains of men.
Therefore thou sleep'st so sound.​

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
The best thing in that play is Lucius falling asleep while playing his instrument the night before the battle.

—It is no matter;
Enjoy the honey-heavy dew of slumber.
Thou hast no figures nor no fantasies,
Which busy care draws in the brains of men.
Therefore thou sleep'st so sound.​
Here's a nice one I found, quoted from Antony:

"~They could be content
To visit other places; and come down
With fearful bravery, thinking by this face
To fasten in our thoughts that they have courage;
But 'tis not so."

Oh, and this was just before the 2nd triumvirates' and Brutus and Cassius' armies fought btw. Act 5, page 2 methinks.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Well we should have the freedom to say **** Shaky too, Shaw did (he was basically trolling though LOL):
There are moments when one asks despairingly why our stage should ever have been cursed this ‘immortal’ pilferer of other men’s stories and ideas, with his monstrous rhetorical fustian, his unbearable platitudes, his pretentious reduction of the subtlest problems of life to commonplaces against which a Polytechnic debating club would revolt, his incredible unsuggestiveness, his sententious combination of ready reflection with complete intellectual sterility, and his consequent incapacity for getting out of the depth of even the most ignorant audience, except when he solemnly says something so transcendentally platitudinous that his more humble-minded hearers cannot bring themselves to believe that so great a man really meant to talk like their grandmothers. With the single exception of Homer, there is no eminent writer, not even Sir Walter Scott, whom I can despise so entirely as I despise Shakespear when I measure my mind against his. The intensity of my impatience with him occassionally reaches such a pitch, that it would positively be a relief to me to dig him up and throw stones at him, knowing as I do how incapable he and his worshippers are of understanding any less obvious form of indignity.

FSK

Smash Ace
Disclaimer: If you choose to do this it's your own responsibility to do it right. I only provided you with information, the rest is your decision and action. If you end up messing up, it's not my fault.

As we all know the most difficult bombslide to do is the reverse slide. This slide would also be the most useful one for Link, at least it was the most useful in brawl. I've been doing this bombslide in some matches but I haven't been consistent with them. Since bombslides were still in after the patch I decided to undergo some drastic measures to improve my consistency. What I have done is effectively moving the diagonal indents down so they coincide with the reverse bombslide input. Let me show you some pictures!

This represents the octagon on a traditional controller where I have indicated roughly where the input for the reverse bombslide is.

What we want to do is to move the indents slightly down to coincide with the reverse bombslide sweetspots.

In theory we do this by cutting along the blue lines shown in the image and removing the excess plastic inbetween the cuts. This allows us to lower the indent as shown with the yellow dot representing the new indent being under the green line which is aligned with the original diagonal indents. In practice we only do this operation on the diagonal indents, we don't touch the horizontal ones. This works since the distance we need to move the diagonal indent is very small, but this also means you have to be careful about not lowering it too much. In the image I've exaggarated how much plastic you have to remove for illustrative purposes. I had some old controllers that I practiced on first before I tried on my proper controller.

After I applied the slight modification I can now consistently reverse bombslide in 1/4 easily and I will practice the input until I am able to do it in real time.

Although I posted the "guide" here I would advise all of you who wants to do it to wait until I can confirm that I am consistent with it. It's still an experiment, but it looks very promising so far. If the guide is confusing then don't worry I will revise it tomorrow!

Now that I explained the method I'll add some details on how I did it. I disassembled my controller using a tri-wing screw driver (TRI1). I removed the front part of the controller and removed all the buttons etc. Then I used one of these to do the cutting/carving:

I did this little by little and continuously checking if I hit the sweetspot or not. Being very very gentle and careful. Then when it was done I assembled the controller again.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^That's cool but I'm not that hard core.

Anyone else trying to beat all the challenges? It takes forever to get the destroy 50,000 blocks in trophy rush and it's boring. I only have a handful of characters to go for allstar hard.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You play against CPUs.
Well-

Wait, have we had this conversation before?

But have you ever played a good player for either of the characters? Good samuses and good zeldas are something to be feared. Not by top tiers, necessarily, but a good samus and zelda can really put in work.
I never versus a good player. Actually have never verse a human player really :urg:.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Then how are you on Smashboards? If you have a wiiu and Internet you should be able to play online.
There is the possibility of using a phone. You don't need wifi to get on the Internet with a phone

Rizen

Smash Legend
I got some good wifi games in. Then the phone rang and my internet has DCed every 5 minutes since :facepalm: Damn centurylink. Sometimes I think the smash gods don't want me to play SSB4. :urg:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
with the improved dthrow and its possibilities (dthrow+utilt, dthrow+usmash, dthrow+uair), can we call it Hylian Hoo Haa?
I think dthrow>uair is a mix-up, not a follow-up. You can call dtilt>uair the Hylian Hoo Ha, though. :p

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Oh, I see

Well, there is two problems with that.

1) My families internet connection isn't great and not big enough for online play.

2) When I said computer, I mean Laptop and then just make a hotspot with my phone.

Why not call it the "Hup SAYAAAAAA" combo instead?
Aww that sucks. Maybe get better version of wifi. Like AT&T what wifi are you using?

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
It's mine now? Ariiiiiight! It's actually a true combo on many characters regardless of DI, but only if you buffer a dash then do the Uair, according to FSK you can react to DI then. I will upload a set today in which he expounds on that in the commentary and demonstrates, but read this post for now:
I could say some words about dthrow uair and what is great about it if you guys want. First a disclaimer the frame numbers aren't completely accurate but more or less as in within a frame or two. I might redo the frame counts unless Foxy or Zelkam wants to do it instead. At least this is what I've found from extensive labbing and field testing(matches):

Let us take for instance a light character at 130% for instance sheik. When you dthrow sheik, sheik will be unable to do anything for 70 frames from the start of the dthrow. On frame 70 sheik is able to airdodge. On frame 76 sheik is able to double jump or input an attack. REGARDLESS of DI, Link will be able to reach his target within frame 76 with uair. If the opponent DIs away from Link it will take Link 75 frames to reach sheik. This means that it won't true combo, but sheiks ONLY option to avoid the strong hit is to airdodge. Luckily for us, uair lasts longer than an airdodge so if you follow sheiks trajectory you will eventually hit her with the weak hit. Which will KO around 120%-130% on most lighter characters.

Also if you have massive amounts of rage you can basically KO the whole cast before 100% and at this point it will true combo on most characters regardless of DI.

The input is important and the timing is strict. After the dthrow you have to buffer a dash, then on the first frame of the dash you have to jump and then uair as soon as possible after leaving the ground.

My controller setup allows me to do this pretty easily where I have L set to jump and I input the uair with the c-stick. I've been abusing this setup as much as I can and you will also be able to see it in use in my upcoming replays on my channel.

I'm pretty sure this is going to disappear in the next patch since people will complain about anything that is good about Link. So use it while you can gentlemen.

I should also mention that this setup is vulnerable to DI mixups in a sense. I do think you will have enough time to react on the DI of your opponent, but I'm really slow with my reactions so I'm not always able to do it. If you are not able to react on their DI then reading the DI is still possible. Since you fullhop your uair it will autocancel so your opponent will always be at the disadvantage, meaning it is also fairly safe to do.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So the beta of PM 3.6 was released today. Link got some slight buffs, but nothing game changing or that make Link much better imo. How disappointing. There are a few promising buffs though, which include the changes made to his Bair (first hit now has set KB) along his rang (more startup like in Melee/Brawl, but less cool-down), and the slight buff to his run speed. Everything else is just fixes to hitbox problems and things that do 1% more damage mostly.
http://smashboards.com/threads/link-3-6-changes.407502/#post-19496615

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
This strange thing happen to me yesterday.

I was playing against Taka (one of the best C. Falcon in Anther's) and we had a close match (he proceeded to rekt me the two games after this)! Then he did a raptor, which was dodged, later he made a roll and run to the ledge helped by the wind of my boomerang... finally, he just get killed... WTF!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFElmgIIOd4

Last edited:

Serac

Smash Cadet
Now that we are talking about weird in-game things, I was messing with Link edge guarding, so I took a bomb fell from the stage and up B immediately, bomb explodes and I can't second jump even though I didn't use the jump. This has always being a thing?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Now that we are talking about weird in-game things, I was messing with Link edge guarding, so I took a bomb fell from the stage and up B immediately, bomb explodes and I can't second jump even though I didn't use the jump. This has always being a thing?
UpB automatically eats your 2nd jump.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
The only character that can double jump after upb is Megaman, if I remember correctly.

FSK

Smash Ace
This strange thing happen to me yesterday.

I was playing against Taka (one of the best C. Falcon in Anther's) and we had a close match (he proceeded to rekt me the two games after this)! Then he did a raptor, which was dodged, later he made a roll and run to the ledge helped by the wind of my boomerang... finally, he just get killed... WTF!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFElmgIIOd4
He ran past you to do another raptor boost but during the first frames of startup he got pushed off the stage into freefall by the boomerang. I've seen this once before but I don't remember the circumstances.

Top Bottom