• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Yes, I want to join in with "Let's share wisdom with DarkDeity", with number one being Shaw's: "Activity is the only road to knowledge." But here's some de la Rochefoucauld (French <3):
398. De tous nos défauts, celui dont nous demeurons le plus aisément d'accord, c'est de la paresse; nous nous persuadons qu'elle tient à toutes les vertus paisibles et que, sans détruire entièrement les autres, elle en suspend seulement les fonctions.
398. Of all our shortcomings, the one with which we most easily live in agreement is laziness; we persuade ourselves that it pertains to all of the peaceful virtues, and that, without entirely destroying the others, it only suspends their functions.
410. Le plus grand effort de l'amitié n'est pas de montrer nos défauts à un ami; c'est de lui faire voir les siens.
410. The greatest task of friendship is not to show our shortcomings to a friend; it is to show him his own.
327. Nous n'avouons de petits défauts que pour persuader que nous n'en avons pas de grands.
327. We confess small shortcomings only in order to persuade others that we do not have any great ones.
And Goethe:
WE TAKE everyone in life at the value he puts upon himself; but he must indeed put some value upon himself. We are more inclined to endure the people who are difficult than to bear with people who are insignificant.
FOOLS and intelligent people are equally harmless. It is half-fools and the half-intelligent who are the most dangerous.
Havelock Ellis:
Gourmont has well said that whatever is deeply thought is well written. And one might add that whatever is deeply observed is well said.
Really the proud and the haughty have no luck in this world. They can scarcely perform their most elementary natural necessities with dignity, and they have had the misfortune to teach their flesh to creep before spiders and scorpions whom, it may be, they have to recognise as their own forefathers.
I suspect that the Pessimist is often merely an impecunious bankrupt Optimist.
More Shaw (the Ulster Polonius, heh):
He who slays a king and he who dies for him are alike idolaters.
Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.
Disobedience, the rarest and most courageous of the virtues, is seldom distinguished from neglect, the laziest and commonest of the vices.
Emerson:
The poet sees the stars because he makes them.
There are moods in which we court suffering, in the hope that here at least we shall find reality, sharp peaks and edges of truth. But it turns out to be scene-painting and counterfeit. The only thing grief has taught me is to know how shallow it is. ... Grief too will make us idealists.
Enough with the maxims though, this is more important:
You will hear every day the maxims of a low prudence. You will hear, that the first duty is to get land and money, place and name. 'What is this Truth you seek? what is this Beauty?' men will ask, with derision. If, nevertheless, God have called any of you to explore truth and beauty, be bold, be firm, be true. When you shall say, 'As others do, so will I: I renounce, I am sorry for it, my early visions; I must eat the good of the land, and let learning and romantic expectations go, until a more convenient season;' — then dies the man in you; then once more perish the buds of art, and poetry, and science, as they have died already in a thousand thousand men. The hour of that choice is the crisis of your history; and see that you hold yourself fast by the intellect.
Or take Hazlitt my favorite:
The whole dramatic moral of Coriolanus is that those who have little shall have less, and that those who have much shall take all that others have left. The people are poor; therefore they ought to be starved. They are slaves; therefore they ought to be beaten. They work hard; therefore they ought to be treated like beasts of burden. They are ignorant; therefore they ought not to be allowed to feel that they want food, or clothing, or rest, that they are enslaved, oppressed, and miserable. This is the logic of the imagination and the passions; which seek to aggrandize what excites admiration and to heap contempt on misery, to raise power into tyranny, and to make tyranny absolute; to thrust down that which is low still lower, and to make wretches desperate: to exalt magistrates into kings, kings into gods; to degrade subjects to the rank of slaves, and slaves to the condition of brutes. The history of mankind is a romance, a mask, a tragedy, constructed upon the principles of poetical justice;it is a noble or royal hunt, in which what is sport to the few is death to the many, and in which the spectators halloo and encourage the strong to set upon the weak, and cry havoc in the chase though they do not share in the spoil.
I need to go to bed... "In this refulgent summer, it has been a luxury to draw the breath of life."

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Yes, I want to join in with "Let's share wisdom with DarkDeity", with number one being Shaw's: "Activity is the only road to knowledge." But here's some de la Rochefoucauld (French <3):

And Goethe:

Havelock Ellis:

More Shaw (the Ulster Polonius, heh):

Emerson:

Enough with the maxims though, this is more important:

Or take Hazlitt my favorite:

I need to go to bed... "In this refulgent summer, it has been a luxury to draw the breath of life."
This is amazing. Where do you get this stuff? More importantly, how did you get into it? Just curious.

Last edited:

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
So I've been playing a lot of splatoon recently... It's actually a pretty good game and not nearly as repetitive as I thought it might be. Do any of you have the game? If so, what's your favorite weapon in each of the modes? I like the splattershot junior in Turf Wars (Bubbler OP) and the Custom Blaster in Splat Zones (Bubbler OP!)
Kraken Splat Roller is pretty OP in Turf War, but Splat Zone's gameplay allows other weapons to stand out much better. The Splattershot Jr. w/ Bubbler is a good for SZ, as it specializes in controlling a small space, while the Paintbrush allows you to get to rush cap for your team.

But only playing 2 modes can burn you out pretty quickly . . . I hope Nintendo decides to add more original gamemodes or at least a private lobby that allows custom rules.

This is amazing. Where do you get this stuff? More importantly, how did you get into it? Just curious.
From my understanding, Doomfire is just something of a cultured young man. This is just the **** he likes.

He studies literature and loves classical music, some people are just born different, I suppose, nothing I've learned about any of the other people from his region suggests he's indicative of the average, either, though Europeans in general have a better understanding and appreciation of culture as a rule, I have found, and the education in most countries there is much better than here in North America.

My guess is he simply has more access to the knowledge and lives in an area where education isn't shamed, so he studies whatever interests him. A perfect storm of culture geek.

He's still pretty godamned weird sometimes.

Kraken Splat Roller is pretty OP in Turf War, but Splat Zone's gameplay allows other weapons to stand out much better. The Splattershot Jr. w/ Bubbler is a good for SZ, as it specializes in controlling a small space, while the Paintbrush allows you to get to rush cap for your team.

But only playing 2 modes can burn you out pretty quickly . . . I hope Nintendo decides to add more original gamemodes or at least a private lobby that allows custom rules.
They've already confirmed they will be adding more modes, I think at least two are already named.

I actually like this strategy of spacing content, it ensures everything sees play, unlike other shooters where one map and mode become standard.

Last edited:

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
They've already confirmed they will be adding more modes, I think at least two are already named.

I actually like this strategy of spacing content, it ensures everything sees play, unlike other shooters where one map and mode become standard.
That's a relief, cause I really don't want Splatoon to suffer from Titanfall Syndrome.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I hope we'll be able to play on stages with platforms in FG at some point.

And I want Ghirahim playable, dammit.

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
SO I finally graduated from middle school and my dad decides to give me a gift to improve my smash skills although I'm no where near my beloved Wii U. U see my gamepad is weird cause when ever I try to go for a short hop Nair with link, as soon as I hit the ground he does a Dtilt instead of a jab and when I go for a short hop Nair from the ground, He does a Uair instead. It pisses me the **** off. Link requires lots of precision especially when a battle is heated and it messes me up and feels awkward. I hate my game pad, So what my dad bought me would help improve my smash game and I asked for a GC adapter.
But instead of getting this

He got me this

its a "GC controller " that is really a classic or pro controller that is meant to feel like a GC controller that connects into a wii remote.
I'm not mad at my dad, I mean this will help me improve my smash game and precision, hell he even got me my Favorite character and gave me money for Lucas and other smash content, I am grateful but this is not what I wanted really. But I will take it. Besides my dad would be pissed and sad if I showed that I was ungrateful. I do get to get home on the 15th of this month.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
SO I finally graduated from middle school and my dad decides to give me a gift to improve my smash skills although I'm no where near my beloved Wii U. U see my gamepad is weird cause when ever I try to go for a short hop Nair with link, as soon as I hit the ground he does a Dtilt instead of a jab and when I go for a short hop Nair from the ground, He does a Uair instead. It pisses me the **** off. Link requires lots of precision especially when a battle is heated and it messes me up and feels awkward. I hate my game pad, So what my dad bought me would help improve my smash game and I asked for a GC adapter.

He got me this

its a "GC controller " that is really a classic or pro controller that is meant to feel like a GC controller that connects into a wii remote.
I'm not mad at my dad, I mean this will help me improve my smash game and precision, hell he even got me my Favorite character and gave me money for Lucas and other smash content, I am grateful but this is not what I wanted really. But I will take it. Besides my dad would be pissed and sad if I showed that I was ungrateful. I do get to get home on the 15th of this month.
Understandable. I actually went out and bought myself a GC controller with no adapter since I couldn't find those anywhere, so it's pretty much a brick if I'm not at a tournament. And even then, I'm not entirely used to the controls yet, so I only used it when my wii mote acted up (I use a CC Pro most of the time). I actually saw one of the Link styled GC pro controllers at my GameStop, but I opted to get a regular GC controller anyways because it looks too brightly colored for my taste. Big mistake lol.

The gamepad is awesome for smash, you just need to know how to use it.
That's funny, because I remember someone I played in my last tournament saying that he preferred the game pad. They were banned though, so you can imagine how he felt. TBH, I'm not really sure why they were banned in the first place.

Edit: Well this happened. http://smashboards.com/threads/disney-features-nakat-at-apex-2015.405714/ Smash is getting bigger by the day.

Last edited:

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Understandable. I actually went out and bought myself a GC controller with no adapter since I couldn't find those anywhere, so it's pretty much a brick if I'm not at a tournament. And even then, I'm not entirely used to the controls yet, so I only used it when my wii mote acted up (I use a CC Pro most of the time). I actually saw one of the Link styled GC pro controllers at my GameStop, but I opted to get a regular GC controller anyways because it looks too brightly colored for my taste. Big mistake lol.

That's funny, because I remember someone I played in my last tournament saying that he preferred the game pad. They were banned though, so you can imagine how he felt. TBH, I'm not really sure why they were banned in the first place.

Edit: Well this happened. http://smashboards.com/threads/disney-features-nakat-at-apex-2015.405714/ Smash is getting bigger by the day.
Probably because the gamepad needs to be synced up to the WiiU, meaning it could be used for wireless shenanigans.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys, not sure if you have discussed this yet, but what are your prediction for the Smash Bros presentation on the 14th?

So now there's a Lego Jurassic World video game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cc8SacjO9c
Seriously, someone needs to put a stop to all this :dizzy:
Plus the new Lego Dimensions (i.e Disney Infinite as Lego), I won't be surprised if another one is announced at E3

He got me this

I've got a gamecube adopter, just need to get a Gamecube controller. Though now that you have Link's one, which would you suggest I get;

1) the White or Black GC controller
2) Link's GC controller

I think more the Balck GC controller just because I am us to the design, but Link's on does look interesting.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
If you're talking the Link fightpad, fightpads are nowhere near as good as a true GC controller. They don't rumble, they're much harder to walk/perform tilts with, I've heard they have a small amount of latency lag associated with them, and they just feel cheaper than a GC controller. Go for a GC controller.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Probably because of how hard it is to sync a gamepad. I think you have to go back to the home screen.
I've got a gamecube adopter, just need to get a Gamecube controller. Though now that you have Link's one, which would you suggest I get;

1) the White or Black GC controller
2) Link's GC controller

I think more the Balck GC controller just because I am us to the design, but Link's on does look interesting.

Thoughts?

Edit: Double post. So sorry! Some please fix this.
Don't get the controller with the smash logo if you can avoid it. It can occasionally give a reverse input when the stick returns to neutral. So that's bad, and stuff. (random dash attacks ftw!) And, if you can get a controller that's already broken in, go for that one. Broken in controllers feel incredible.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
If you're talking the Link fightpad, fightpads are nowhere near as good as a true GC controller. They don't rumble, they're much harder to walk/perform tilts with, I've heard they have a small amount of latency lag associated with them, and they just feel cheaper than a GC controller. Go for a GC controller.
I see. So go for the GC not fighter pads.

Probably because of how hard it is to sync a gamepad. I think you have to go back to the home screen.

Don't get the controller with the smash logo if you can avoid it. It can occasionally give a reverse input when the stick returns to neutral. So that's bad, and stuff. (random dash attacks ftw!) And, if you can get a controller that's already broken in, go for that one. Broken in controllers feel incredible.
What do you mean 'broken in'?

God. Damnit. Nintendo.

I was about to go to sleep. I'm running on very little of that. About two hours over four sessions, half an hour a piece.

And then Nintendo. Had to get me all hyped up, and for a game which I already own, no less.

They're ****ing crack dealers.
What do you mean 'broken in'?
Well used and comfortable. Think of shoes you've worn a month versus new shoes, and how much more comfortable they are once they adapt themselves to your feet. Controllers are no different. I've been using the same GC controller since Melee and nothing else performs as well.

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I only like controllers that have been broken in by me. I replace them every few years (I'm on my third new one since Brawl was released) but after I've used them for a while I can tell that I perform way better with my controller versus one that belongs to someone else or a new one. I'm very selective about letting people use my controller too. Other people can keep their damn greasy hands off my controller; they can use my perfectly fine, just not broken in by me, second controller.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
If you don't use a GC controller, wtf are you really doing...like come on. Just get one and use it.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
I don't use a GameCube controller. I use a procontroller. No specific reason, I just bought one instead of the gcn since the gcn only works on smash.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
I only like controllers that have been broken in by me. I replace them every few years (I'm on my third new one since Brawl was released) but after I've used them for a while I can tell that I perform way better with my controller versus one that belongs to someone else or a new one. I'm very selective about letting people use my controller too. Other people can keep their damn greasy hands off my controller; they can use my perfectly fine, just not broken in by me, second controller.
I'd like to be able to swap out my joystick for new ones but sadly I don't have money to be able to keep buying other stuff if I do that. But I'd like to keep the joystick stiff like if it were new because after a while it feels like they're too soft with any gc controller only controllers I like with little easy to move joysticks is PlayStation controllers

Anyway anyone aboard the hype train for when sakurai announces a melee mode for sm4sh and a ssss tier pichu as dlc

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well used and comfortable. Think of shoes you've worn a month versus new shoes, and how much more comfortable they are once they adapt themselves to your feet. Controllers are no different. I've been using the same GC controller since Melee and nothing else performs as well.
So I should get a preowned GC controller?

If you don't use a GC controller, wtf are you really doing...like come on. Just get one and use it.
I don't mind using the Wii Classic Pro controller. I am currently using one as then GC controllers I have are cheap crappy ones I got off eBay and are starting to brake and don't work with my GC controller adaptor for some reason :ohwell:

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
So that is why i get some reversal grab when I dash grab... :/
I have an old GC controller from the GC time... i think i will try to play with it a bit more...

Rizen

Smash Legend
So I should get a preowned GC controller?

I don't mind using the Wii Classic Pro controller. I am currently using one as then GC controllers I have are cheap crappy ones I got off eBay and are starting to brake and don't work with my GC controller adaptor for some reason :ohwell:
No. Never buy used controllers. They're most often a pos someone wanted to get rid of.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
But what if I really really want a green controller and am willing to replace faulty parts?
If you have the time and money, sure why not?
Granted it's probably easier to get a new GC controller and paint it green lol

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
No. Never buy used controllers. They're most often a pos someone wanted to get rid of.
Wait, so you guys are telling me to get/uses a GC controllers that has been used but not a preowned one?

I'm so confused :confused:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
So I went to a small tourney tonight. One of the set ups was a Brawl set up, so I figured what the heck, and I played it for a bit.
God that game is slow. Never playing it again.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
If you already have a gamecube controller in your house, or you know someone who took care of theirs, use that one if you want. Besides that, buy a new one.

Edit: SPLATOON RANT
I should never have to get 22 freaking kills on Ranked in order for my team to win. Literally it was me with 22 kills, and the rest of my team with under 10 (I think the most was 7) Something like that should be shared, but my idiot teammates would just watch a jump beacon and go away instead of killing the player when they landed. This isn't turf wars where only covering turf matters. This is splat zones. Where getting kills ACTUALLY DOES MATTER. 22 kills. smh.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Wait, so you guys are telling me to get/uses a GC controllers that has been used but not a preowned one?

I'm so confused :confused:
They sell brand new controllers. Same exact thing as before. You can get black here or import a Japanese white one

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
The pro controller isn't terrible it is just not as good as the gamecube controller. The day the game came out the people at best buy messed up my order and I wasn't able to get my adapter untill a week after. So I played with the one pro controller. When my friends would come over to play we actually had a rule where the loser would get to use the pro controller next game. But as soon as the adapter came my pro controller...I don't even know where it is at this point... I don't see a problem with the black smash logo gc controller. To be honest smash doesn't feel like smash without the gamecube controller.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I couldn't make the Pro controller work at all. The angles were weird and tilting (vs dashing/smashing) was inconsistent. GCC is so much better.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So has anyone tried out mobility equipment with Link yet?
I couldn't make the Pro controller work at all. The angles were weird and tilting (vs dashing/smashing) was inconsistent. GCC is so much better.
The pro controller isn't terrible it is just not as good as the gamecube controller. The day the game came out the people at best buy messed up my order and I wasn't able to get my adapter untill a week after. So I played with the one pro controller. When my friends would come over to play we actually had a rule where the loser would get to use the pro controller next game. But as soon as the adapter came my pro controller...I don't even know where it is at this point... I don't see a problem with the black smash logo gc controller. To be honest smash doesn't feel like smash without the gamecube controller.
Have you guys tried out the CC pro yet? It's actually a great controller once you get used to it and break in a bit. I know this for a fact because I've been using it as my main controller since the Brawl days. It's even great for PM. My only issue is that it needs to plug into a Wii mote. Other than that, it's about as good as a GC controller. If only there were someone who could mod a GC controller to have the layout of a Cc pro. I mean I could just do it myself, but I know next to nothing about modding controllers. Researching this stuff could be a pain.

Last edited:

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
So has anyone tried out mobility equipment with Link yet?

Have you guys tried out the CC pro yet? It's actually a great controller once you get used to it and break in a bit. I know this for a fact because I've been using it as my main controller since the Brawl days. It's even great for PM. My only issue is that it needs to plug into a Wii mote. Other than that, it's about as good as a GC controller. If only there were someone who could mod a GC controller to have the layout of a Cc pro. I mean I could just do it myself, but I know next to nothing about modding controllers. Researching this stuff could be a pain.
Yeah, I use the CC Pro controller. It's alright, considering if you don't have a GC controller or GC adapter, the extra bumper can be set to anything you want and the joysticks have the grooves unlike the WiiU Pro controllers. It's layout is pretty similar to a Playstation controller actually. My only problem with it is that the joysticks aren't as responsive as a GC controller, but I'm not sure whether that's due to the age or whether it was designed that way :/

Top Bottom