• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
What makes you think that? I compared how far away they could be when they hit the ground and still hit the pillar on Luigi's mansion. Link's explosions seem smaller.
Oh, really? I guess my memory might be a bit off. I think I was comparing the visual blast size rather than the hitbox itself.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I never thought I'd say this but, I miss Brawl Link. Except for SSB4 Link's power, weight, tether, upB, Dash Attack, rolls and bomb explosions not hurting Link if they hit the opponent, Brawl Link preformed better. At least Brawl Link's grab outranged normal grabs and punished moves. Bomb ATs were very useful, especially Z drop and invincibomb. Light characters fall out of SSB4 Link's double Fsmash! Landing canceling was nice. DAC had it's uses and worked better than SSB4's DA. Dair was a really wicked kill move in Brawl that wasn't worth the trade off for SSB4.
/sigh :c

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
guys i want main link but i need some good tips by good players.
is there any skype group/?

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I never thought I'd say this but, I miss Brawl Link. Except for SSB4 Link's power, weight, tether, upB, Dash Attack, rolls and bomb explosions not hurting Link if they hit the opponent, Brawl Link preformed better. At least Brawl Link's grab outranged normal grabs and punished moves. Bomb ATs were very useful, especially Z drop and invincibomb. Light characters fall out of SSB4 Link's double Fsmash! Landing canceling was nice. DAC had it's uses and worked better than SSB4's DA. Dair was a really wicked kill move in Brawl that wasn't worth the trade off for SSB4.
But wasn't brawl link's fsmash pretty bad too, if not worse?

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
True, we lost a lot that we had in brawl, but "probably low tier" is still a far cry better than "second worst character in the whole game."

the thing that kills me most is the complete loss of our cqc game in this last patch; it wasn't great beforehand but at least we had options. to have something in this game then have it ripped away is what hurts more to me than comparing link to previous iterations (though i am still envious of melee semi spike and boomerang)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yeah SSB4 Link is better but he's so much more simple than Brawl Link. I miss how Brawl Link played; he had all these complex ATs.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yeah SSB4 Link is better but he's so much more simple than Brawl Link. I miss how Brawl Link played; he had all these complex ATs.
Most of the useless though. What are a 100 useless Ats good for? I'd rather have just a couple of really useful ones.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Most of the useless though. What are a 100 useless Ats good for? I'd rather have just a couple of really useful ones.
That's true but Link lost some useful ATs too. There were several times when bomb Z drops or invincibombs would have been very useful in SSB4.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link had nice sliding in Brawl. Spotdodge sliding was as useful as shield dashing, for what that's worth :p

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
But wasn't brawl link's fsmash pretty bad too, if not worse?
It was ok, mid-tier'ish, but I'm convinced our fsmash now is one of the worst in the game. Nothing justifies the over 1 second end lag on the second hit, no shield damage and no shield push. And the first hit does basically nothing, unless you tipper it and in that case it's even a weak tipper.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
It was ok, mid-tier'ish, but I'm convinced our fsmash now is one of the worst in the game. Nothing justifies the over 1 second end lag on the second hit, no shield damage and no shield push. And the first hit does basically nothing, unless you tipper it and in that case it's even a weak tipper.
This coupled with the fact that the second hits whiffs about half the times you use it makes it a bad option. I'd rather kill with utilt.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^this.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I don't really think it's THAT bad.... it's certainly not great, but it's not that bad. I don't usually have tons of trouble with people popping out, and it's still nice that fsmash1 alone is reasonably safe because your opponent has to respect fsmash2, as long as you stay uncommitted (you can use fsmash2 on hitconfirm, and can often delay it a little if they're gonna pop out). You can also walk backwards then turn around and fsmash to get some nice range or as a pseudo-pivot move if someone tries to get behind you.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
God, the most frustrating thing happened. I was editing videos that I upload to Youtube, for the crew battles we had. I counted over the player roster I was given, and saw that there were 11 players listed. 11 players means 44 stocks. So I started the stock count at 44, cut and spliced two videos apart, edited the vids., updating the stock count when needed, rendered, then uploaded the two vids. to Youtube. As I'm editing the third vid., I realize that the stock count is off by 8 stocks, two players. I spent over 90 mins. trying to figure out what I had done wrong, going over the vids. I'd previously recorded, making sure I hadn't made a math mistake. Turns out the roster I was given was missing 2 players, one from each team. Sooooooo, I had to delete the two vids. I made, AND I have to re-edit, re-render, and re-upload them to Youtube. God my head hurts.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
F-smash kills earlier but I definitely kill with F-Tilt much more often than I kill with F-smash. F-smash isn't terrible but it's too risky in most situations. I guess I definitely prefer F-tilt for its larger hitbox. I kinda wanted his tilt to be his smash in the first place, being a little stronger than it is now while retaining that good hitbox, and then have a faster tilt but it works I guess.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Fsmash definitely has good kill power. I think it lands more consistently on large characters and fast fallers. The 2 hit thing isn't terrible but the shield pressure is. Ftilt is easier to land because Fsmash only hits low. Ftilt doesn't have to be used from a pivot but Fsmash practically does, the hitbubble are poorly thought out. I wish Fsmash had a hitbubble on Link's body to stop people from rolling behind him.
At the point when Ftilt starts killing it's probably better to use it but before that, landing early KOs with Fsmash can be worth the trouble.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Side taunt should heal you because fairies
I have always thought this. I mean, wario heals himself with his bike (wtf?), pacman with sideB, WFT with her meditation, and GaW with the Apple he drops. Why can't Link heal himself like 1 or 2% with his taunt? It's not like you can abuse it seine it had huge ending lag.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Because that will make Link OP and people will complain and Link will get nerfed again, his side taunt will insta-kill him.

DJTHED

Smash Apprentice
NNID
djthed
3DS FC
1805-3499-5905
Switch FC
SW-1721-8556-4217
I actually use f-smash more for punishing than I do killing, more specifically at lower percents since the chance of the second hit whiffing is significantly lower, and deals good damage. Just my two cents.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Hey, does anyone have matchup experience against ZSS? If so, do you now how correctly di her Boost Kick (upb)? I seem to be able to pop of it sometimes, but other times I can't get out of it.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
ZSS retains a lot of mobility during boost kick, so you have to DI according to that.
if she does a retreating up-B, DI away from her.
otherwise, DI behind her (and up?).
you should probably ask the ZSS boards tho.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
E3's coming up next month; what would you guys like to see?
I'd like to know more about the next LoZ game and a release date for Xenoblade Chronicles X. Getting teasers for a wii u Metroid Prime would be awesome too.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
E3's coming up next month; what would you guys like to see?
I'd like to know more about the next LoZ game and a release date for Xenoblade Chronicles X. Getting teasers for a wii u Metroid Prime would be awesome too.
Nintendo will probably bring the big guns, so probably:
>Splatoon (definately)
>Zelda U
>Xenoblade Chronicles
>Starfox U (hopeful)
>Pokemon Snap U or another 3DS Pokemon
>New 3D Mario game
>Metroid U (fingers crossed)
>Smash Bros DLC announcement, possibly Roy or Ryu

Last edited:
Top Bottom