• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Top 5 Zelda games:

1. Twilight Princess - THE Zelda game that made me a true Zelda fan. Everything about this game is amazing. The story is great, easily the best use of swordplay in a Zelda game (SS comes close though), epic boss battles, well-crafted dungeons, one of the greatest characters ever introduced in a Zelda game in Midna, the music is great, Zant is a great villain and it shows how Link should act as an adult: someone who takes responsibility and does what is right, no matter the odds. Not only my favorite Zelda, but my favorite game, like ever.

2. Skyward Sword - Extremely overhated for no good reason. The visuals are fantastic, great writing which gave a great story and a memorable cast of characters, great dungeons, great music, Ghirahim is one of my favorite characters in a Zelda game, possibly the most developed Link in any Zelda game and rather clever use of backtracking. The only issue i have is that it's linear when compared to other Zelda games. Everything else i really enjoyed.

3. Wind Waker - First Zelda i have ever played. Believe it or not, i hated this game at first when i was a kid. I actually sold the game. It wasn't until 2 years later when my sister forced me to buy the game again. My sister is very smart. I played it again, to see if my perspective changed, and i loved every minute of it. One of the best OST's in a Zelda game, like-able protagonist, vast open world, the best iteration of Ganondorf yet and some of the best art styles i have seen in a game. Issues are that it is rather short for a 3D Zelda and the dungeons, while good, are very few in comparison to previous and future Zelda games. Also the sea travel is tedious at the beginning.

4. A Link Between Worlds - A great Zelda and easily the best handheld Zelda (imo). Creative level design, great music, interesting characters (Hilda) and the ability to let you solve dungeons how you wanted was awesome.

5. Ocarina of Time - A very good Zelda, but overrated. Great dungeons, timeless music, a good story with a good twist and a good set of characters. The reason is Num. 5 is because every other 3D Zelda game does what Ocarina does, but better.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
For me it'd probably be:

1. Wind Waker
2. Majora's Mask
3. Oracles of Ages/Seasons
4. Ocarina of Time
5. A Link Between Worlds

Rizen

Smash Legend
Okay I'll jump into the fray!
Favorite Zelda:
Majora's Mask
The exploration, lack of hand holding, mystery and fleshed out world is absolutely incredible. The NPCs are more like real people with lives and interconnected problems. People complain about the 3 day limit but that's why the game was so incredible; it takes many cycles of 3 days to experience everything and you'd miss so much with no time resets. Mask Transformations were awesome and still better than other transformations in other Zelda games (what's the deal Nintendo?) The dungeons were very creative and actually challenging- something many Zelda dungeons lack sadly. The main villain was really cool and original. It was really, really good.

2nd
A Link To The Past
Nostalgia aside, this was THE best 2D Zelda and still holds the cup. Great environments, tons of fun and surprising content like the golden bee, magic cape, etc. Great dungeons and overworlds. There are no real faults and ALTTP is incredible in pretty much every area.
It also is the defining game of the series. Most Zelda games are some variation of ALttP.

3rd
Twilight Princess.
This is how Link should be as an adult. He's the legendary hero and not a little pansy. I like Link as an adult and how he behaves responsibly and has a mature relationship.
The environments made you feel like you were actually in Hyrule, more than any other Zelda. This is a huge plus for me since I love open world exploration style games and dislike linear level based games. The lighting was fantastic and actually made the lantern a cool item. TP showed that Nintendo could make a realistic, hardcore Zelda game while keeping it true to the series. The motion controlled swordplay and aiming really worked well and didn't feel shoe-horned in. No real faults, just an all around great Zelda game.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
You know, I get this funny feeling that we've done all this before...194 pages ago, to be exact

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Okay I'll jump into the fray!
Favorite Zelda:
Majora's Mask
The exploration, lack of hand holding, mystery and fleshed out world is absolutely incredible. The NPCs are more like real people with lives and interconnected problems. People complain about the 3 day limit but that's why the game was so incredible; it takes many cycles of 3 days to experience everything and you'd miss so much with no time resets. Mask Transformations were awesome and still better than other transformations in other Zelda games (what's the deal Nintendo?) The dungeons were very creative and actually challenging- something many Zelda dungeons lack sadly. The main villain was really cool and original. It was really, really good.

2nd
A Link To The Past
Nostalgia aside, this was THE best 2D Zelda and still holds the cup. Great environments, tons of fun and surprising content like the golden bee, magic cape, etc. Great dungeons and overworlds. There are no real faults and ALTTP is incredible in pretty much every area.
It also is the defining game of the series. Most Zelda games are some variation of ALttP.

3rd
Twilight Princess.
This is how Link should be as an adult. He's the legendary hero and not a little pansy. I like Link as an adult and how he behaves responsibly and has a mature relationship.
The environments made you feel like you were actually in Hyrule, more than any other Zelda. This is a huge plus for me since I love open world exploration style games and dislike linear level based games. The lighting was fantastic and actually made the lantern a cool item. TP showed that Nintendo could make a realistic, hardcore Zelda game while keeping it true to the series. The motion controlled swordplay and aiming really worked well and didn't feel shoe-horned in. No real faults, just an all around great Zelda game.
Literally spot on.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
What I liked what Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds (to lesser extent) did, is that they made rupees seem valuable. Instead of leaving them in your wallet, you had an incentive to spend them.
In Skyward Sword, you could be a god if you had about 2500 some rupees (5 Bottles of Guardian+ Potion too OP).

Do you guys think that this trend is going to carry on to Zelda U?

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
What I liked what Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds (to lesser extent) is that they made rupees seem valuable. Instead of leaving them in your wallet, you had an incentive to spend them.
In Skyward Sword, you could be a god if you had about 2500 some rupees (5 Bottles of Guardian+ Potion too OP).

Do you guys think that this trend is going to carry on to Zelda U?
Probably, given SS (and to a lesser extent, Spirit Tracks) started the trend and hasn't let up, yet.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
1: Wind Waker:
I had played many other zelda's before this one but none had made me feel like I was on an adventure as much as this. This visuals hired Scorpion to "Get Over Here" me in forever. I loved sailing and finding everything. The dungeons range from meh to ok but I don't mind. I find it so damn endearing every time I play it.

2: Majora's Mask
This would be No. 1 if I didn't despise EVERY dungeon. I forget how much I hate each dungeon but then I play it again. It's not so much that they are hard or anything I just don't like them. HOWEVER, I love LOVE the world and characters. I care for the Clock Town citizens and enjoy helping them and gathering all the masks. Even when I played it as a kid I was pulled in by the individual stories.

3: Ocarina of Time
Nostagia mostly. It's still a solid game and I've been enjoying learning how to speedrun a bit. It's a chapter in history and I love the game.

4: Twilight Princess
This on is in the top 5 for 2 reason: 1.) My favorite Dungeons in the series and 2.) Midna. I find the world kinda drab, the characters just ok, and the dark themes trying to hard (where as MM was more nuanced) . The combat is refined and being a wolf is fun but those two things captivate me and bring it much higher in my book than everything else I feel about it might lead you to believe.

5: ALTTP
Even though I much prefer the 3D games just because of the things I personally enjoy in games, this one is my favorite of the 2D games and is a blast to play. I almost chose ALBW but when I think of the 2 side by side I feel like the focus of ALTTP is nice. Being able to own everything pretty quickly slightly killed the pace for me (though it's an interesting idea)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Favorite Zelda games:
OoT
ALttP
WW
SS
ALBW

Although you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a bad Zelda game. I'm not listing MM because I haven't finished it yet, but I really like what I've played of it so far. I love how refreshingly different it is from other Zeldas; it's extremely dark. I once had an old teacher tell me that there in order for a story to have a truly redemptive ending there must be a real threat of evil winning, and MM nails that; just look at the despair in town in the final hours.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Favorite Zelda games:
OoT
ALttP
WW
SS
ALBW

Although you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a bad Zelda game. I'm not listing MM because I haven't finished it yet, but I really like what I've played of it so far. I love how refreshingly different it is from other Zeldas; it's extremely dark. I once had an old teacher tell me that there in order for a story to have a truly redemptive ending there must be a real threat of evil winning, and MM nails that; just look at the despair in town in the final hours.
Exactly. In most of the other games they make it pretty known you will have the tools to win.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Favorite Zelda games:
OoT
ALttP
WW
SS
ALBW

I could always feel my heart sink when I hit the final hours in MM. The music especially, but even the atmosphere of it all...*shudders*. The fact that MM could actually fill me with dread during the final hours is a testament to it's quality.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I could always feel my heart sink when I hit the final hours in MM. The music especially, but even the atmosphere of it all...*shudders*. The fact that MM could actually fill me with dread during the final hours is a testament to it's quality.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, I'd say my favorites between all of them is Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask. The music and feeling of both games were incredible in their own ways. The stories were outstanding.
Ya know, I played the crap out of TP, but it still isn't in my top 3. It was just as linear as SS. I do like collecting all the bugs though.
My #1 is Link Between Worlds, because that graffiti mechanic I've never seen anywhere else in any videogame ever. Plus I love collecting Maimais. And the ending is surprisingly affecting, considering there's almost no cutscenes in the whole game. It's like they took all the good mechanics from previous games and concentrated them here.

#2 is the original. Did you know bombs can also blow holes in the wall? Of course you didn't; no one knew that. *Everything* was new. (Plus I like the twitchy combat that old school 2D brings. Which is why I don't totally hate Z2AoL: the moment-to-moment experience of playing it was satisfying.)

#3 is... I dunno. Ask me again after I finish Majora's Mask.

A beef I have with OoT: Saria obviously had feelings for Link early in the game, and that was just kinda dropped. That was sad. So when Link and Zelda have a poignant look at the end of the game... he probably just left again to go look for a sword or a bug or whatever and never thought of her again.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Well... i have to say something:

In my days as a child, there was no 3D (i was like... 13 yo in 1998)... The first game to open us the world was Mario 64 (Star Fox in super was 3D... but it was ugly although the fantastic gameplay). Mario 64 was magic, it was a solid game, but it was just the apperitive. When the epic commercial hit the TV ('Willst thou get the girl, or play like one?'), my brothers and I were like "OMG, that game is just so real and epic!". Then, my mother bough us the game in christmass.
Our experience was intense... no game tell us a story with such an enviroment and realism. The new light visual effects and the innovator Z-target were key points to inmerse us IN the game.

Many of you played OoT when other 3D games with more realistic graphics were active. But the first experience put OoT as the best game of all time, just because it was a total new experience and totally innovator in its time.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Majora's Mask did so many things so well for its time. While the day and night cycle was genius, the almost living and breathing world had such detail, the idea of making tons of masks have different (meaningful) properties, but what really set this apart for me was the villain.

Skull Kid and Majora's Mask.

Seriously a fantastic duo. Not only were they NOT Ganon (for once) but they had such a great mixture of charisma and completely destructive motives. If you want villains that REALLY had a knack for evil, it was these two, not Ganon. Ganon wants to rule his land, big whoop. Majora wanted to blow it to smithereens.

Let's even bring up the fact that the plot of Majora's Mask could be boiled down to the underlying theme...of death. Link receives each mask (even fierce diety is theorized to be the lost soul of a great warrior) from the passing (death) of another creature, binding their soul to it. And of course the whole doomsday scenario. Easily the darkest story of the entire Zelda series.

On a side note: I also really enjoyed TP because I thought Zant was an awesome antagonist. But then Nintendo decided to throw Ganon in at the end, which really ruined it for me.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Ocarina of Time is objectively the best Zelda game. Other than that, Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess is pretty good. Skyward Sword lacked a little in exploration and sidequests, but makes up a lot in story and characters. Wind Waker sucks, so don't get that one, get Spirit Tracks instead.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Shout out to @ KenMeister KenMeister for playing with me tonight! Sorry if I cut our play time short, when Tallguy came in, I just had to play his Link! You've got a nice Mario. For some reason, I just couldn't take your Doc both times you played him.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's Awakening will always hold a special place in my heart as the only Zelda game I literally played until the cartage broke. It couldn't save anymore. I really like the sense of mystery and lack of hand holding (traits the Oracle games weren't good about).

Anyone watch the show Reboot? Majora is Hexadecimal to Ganon's Megabyte.
Who or what is your favorite LoZ villain besides Ganon? I have to go with MM; everything about it was otherworldly and awesome. MM is one of the few villains who doesn't end up playing 2nd fiddle to Ganon, not even Vaati can claim that (4 Sword Adventure).

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Nevermind lol, I'm a silly billy. We have a video thread for a reason...

MM is my favorite but TP would be a close second if not for the Wolf's existence. I really like AoL personally since it's the first zelda I played. I'd say it's probably the worst at being a zelda game, but if you take it as a Zelda themed mario game its quite good actually. There are some cryptic problems with the game, but the era of FAQs and Walkthroughs give you little room to complain these days.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Link's Awakening will always hold a special place in my heart as the only Zelda game I literally played until the cartage broke. It couldn't save anymore.
Just pop open the cartridge and replace the battery. Should be good as new after that.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Well, I think that the title "best Zelda villain" is contended by Zant and Ghiraim for me. The first is fantastic: at the start it seems an incredible serious and dark villain, and when you end the third temple and he appears talking to Midna you can imagine it as something like a super sexy vampire. Then you see him during the cutscene before going to dark world and you lost the dream of a sexy character. Finally, you discover that he's a crazy and nonsense guy who is just frustrated. Such a great evolution.
On the other hand, Ghiraim is almost better. He basically PLAYS with you from the start. He could defeat you with one single hit, but he decides to don't 'cause he has fun tormenting you. Also, he's a kick-ass sword.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Well... i have to say something:

In my days as a child, there was no 3D (i was like... 13 yo in 1998)... The first game to open us the world was Mario 64 (Star Fox in super was 3D... but it was ugly although the fantastic gameplay). Mario 64 was magic, it was a solid game, but it was just the apperitive. When the epic commercial hit the TV ('Willst thou get the girl, or play like one?'), my brothers and I were like "OMG, that game is just so real and epic!". Then, my mother bough us the game in christmass.
Our experience was intense... no game tell us a story with such an enviroment and realism. The new light visual effects and the innovator Z-target were key points to inmerse us IN the game.

Many of you played OoT when other 3D games with more realistic graphics were active. But the first experience put OoT as the best game of all time, just because it was a total new experience and totally innovator in its time.
Yes it was intense. I was 9 when it came out. While MM and WW have become my favorites over the years, oot will forever hold a special, magical place in my heart

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
#2 is the original. Did you know bombs can also blow holes in the wall? Of course you didn't; no one knew that. *Everything* was new. (Plus I like the twitchy combat that old school 2D brings. Which is why I don't totally hate Z2AoL: the moment-to-moment experience of playing it was satisfying.
I'm mostly sure I'm misunderstanding a joke, but just in case I'm not: I knew this. I played LoZ Classic the year it came out and it blew my mind. I loved it. I remember trying to burn every Bush, and bomb every wall in every dungeon and in the over world trying to find secrets. I played this game so damn. Imagine trying to burn every bush in the game using the blue candle. I remember doing playthroughs where I would go straight to dungeon 8 right off the bat to get the master key just so I didn't have to worry about keys.

Ocarina of Time is objectively the best Zelda game.
Objectively...really...

Pray tell, how it is objectively the best.

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
I'm mostly sure I'm misunderstanding a joke, but just in case I'm not: I knew this. I played LoZ Classic the year it came out and it blew my mind. I loved it. I remember trying to burn every Bush, and bomb every wall in every dungeon and in the over world trying to find secrets. I played this game so damn. Imagine trying to burn every bush in the game using the blue candle. I remember doing playthroughs where I would go straight to dungeon 8 right off the bat to get the master key just so I didn't have to worry about keys.

Objectively...really...

Pray tell, how it is objectively the best.
Your telling me you could do that?! The keys were my biggest struggle. I would skip a room in a dungeon get ahead only to find a locked door, then die going back to find it.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Your telling me you could do that?! The keys were my biggest struggle. I would skip a room in a dungeon get ahead only to find a locked door, then die going back to find it.
It's called the magic of....the magic key!

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
The manual/map called out burning bushes and perhaps bombing the overworld, but I was genuinely surprised when I accidentally blew a hole in a dungeon wall. Perhaps I didn't read the manual closely. But yeah, blue candling the whole overworld: I did that. Never had much of a problem with keys though, except in the 2nd Quest. I really loved trying to find where the dungeons were hiding in the 2nd Quest. I really wish later Zeldas would have a 2nd Quest, just for the replay value. It still annoys me that all current Zelda dungeons have huge buildings outside them, advertising their presence. SECRET STUFF RIGHT IN HERE, FOLKS!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
The manual/map called out burning bushes and perhaps bombing the overworld, but I was genuinely surprised when I accidentally blew a hole in a dungeon wall. Perhaps I didn't read the manual closely. But yeah, blue candling the whole overworld: I did that. Never had much of a problem with keys though, except in the 2nd Quest. I really loved trying to find where the dungeons were hiding in the 2nd Quest. I really wish later Zeldas would have a 2nd Quest, just for the replay value. It still annoys me that all current Zelda dungeons have huge buildings outside them, advertising their presence. SECRET STUFF RIGHT IN HERE, FOLKS!
Well, considering that now they are temples and not dungeons, it makes sense for them to be announced. Also, I deduced that bombing walls was possible by looking at the dungeons maps and seeing that there were rooms inaccessible through any door.

Last edited:

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
I heard Minish Cap is pretty good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the greatest Zelda game of all time, Ocarina of Time.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Minish cap is very good. My only complaint is that it's too short.
My only complaint was that the bass they used was very synth-y and reminded me of the bass used in mmbn for most of the songs in that game....

So nit-picky problem lol great game

I heard Minish Cap is pretty good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the greatest Zelda game of all time, Ocarina of Time.
Greatest is subjective.

Influential/pivotal, that I agree.

Dang it! I thought his post was after mine (oops double post)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom