• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'd say the odds are that you elected Lawz. Look Cam, I know he's your bestie, but we can't have a traitorous Sheik main modding the Link boards. ;)
I assure you that whoever was elected was not based so on bias and was agreed to be a more than viable candidate by many that I think would be in all of your best interests.
That's probably the most useful thing I got from my anime watching days. I actually took Japanese classes, but that was ages ago. I forgot most already sadly.
I was taking online courses and I should really get back to doing them.

:093:

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I think being one of like 5 (if that) actual tournament going Links in Brawl would earn me something better than traitor.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I assure you that whoever was elected was not based so on bias and was agreed to be a more than viable candidate by many that I think would be in all of your best interests.

While I appreciate you voting for me, I have been recently demodded and as such do not think they'll be modding me again. But I appreciate the sentiment nonetheless.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348

I was taking online courses and I should really get back to doing them.

How do you find the courses for Japanese? I've done the odd online course for Icelandic, but found it rather wanting, as I couldn't ask for explanations, etc. I do want to pick up Japanese, though, so if you have a good one, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I attended live brawl tourneys going solo Link. I think Lawz. would be a good moderator.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
You'll notice that he didn't deny electing Lawz, and the way the rest of the post is laid out implies that the user elected isn't a Link main which further points to the idea that it's Lawz.
I think being one of like 5 (if that) actual tournament going Links in Brawl would earn me something better than traitor.
So you were loyal to Link in Brawl (which was in the past) but then switched to Sheik because she's better in Smash 4...last time I checked, that fits the definition of a traitor.

Last edited:

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I attended live brawl tourneys going solo Link. I think Lawz. would be a good moderator.
You know what I miss? ZAIR WITH TWO FRAME RECOVERY.

Those were the days. Now its like what...9?

@ Zelkam Zelkam I switched because in my opinion they took everything away that made him enjoyable to use. I switched to Sheik because she's fun and is a LoZ character. She just happens to be good (as always). I also still use Link. How many tournaments have you repped Link in?

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
How do you find the courses for Japanese? I've done the odd online course for Icelandic, but found it rather wanting, as I couldn't ask for explanations, etc. I do want to pick up Japanese, though, so if you have a good one, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mipBOZbLgzU

Also, to @ Elessar Elessar I ask you: お元気ですか?

I think Lawz meant the biggest mains going to majors to rep Link such as Scizor, Legan, Deva, Kirin, etc.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I can confidently say to you all that Lawz could have literally never touched Smash 4 Link a day in his life and he'd still be one of the best Link players, which he currently is.

Plus, he's smart as hell about this game and the character in general. So knowledgeable, in fact, that he knows too much about Link and cannot main him for those reasons.

He sacrificed himself for the cause in Brawl, but a man only has one life to live.
I got free courses thanks to my school (pretty nice) through this site called Mango.

It's very basic and introductory, but does a good job at that.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I can confidently say to you all that Lawz could have literally never touched Smash 4 Link a day in his life and he'd still be one of the best Link players, which he currently is.

Plus, he's smart as hell about this game and the character in general. So knowledgeable, in fact, that he knows too much about Link and cannot main him for those reasons.

He sacrificed himself for the cause in Brawl, but a man only has one life to live.
I certainly don't deny any of this, but that doesn't mean he gets off easy for being a Sheik main. Its obligatory that we give him a hard time for it. Think of it as reverse rookie hazing.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Cyner (I think it was Cyner?) had an interesting idea for a new character design for Link. Like having helm splitter for example and having less emphasis on projectiles.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
The thing that surprises me most about people who say zoner Link is stupid, do they not realize we have 3 projectiles? Like 3 slots that (for any other character) would've been other options for us to use in CQ or at least in a manner benefiting a rushdown character, but we got 3 (not terribly useful) projectiles one needs to manage very carefully as not to get punished for using.

Did they not see Brawl Link? Did they not see Link64? Melee Link is less prominent since the game is more about footsies and Link can get bopped for trying to camp in that iteration.

Seriously people, #3projectiles... #can'tnotzone #pointlessandlaterirrelavent#sarefun.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
No, no, no, @ Zane the pure Zane the pure , it is blatantly our fault. We're just not playing the character the way he is meant to be played. We should be ignoring our specials so that everyone else can rush us down and use their specials. I mean, it's obvious, right, that a projectile based character shouldn't rely on their projectiles? I mean, you don't see Fox using his lazers or reflector or anything. And Yoshi would never ever use his eggs. Nope, it's just us lame Link mains who are ruining the game by misusing our move-sets.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
The thing that surprises me most about people who say zoner Link is stupid, do they not realize we have 3 projectiles? Like 3 slots that (for any other character) would've been other options for us to use in CQ or at least in a manner benefiting a rushdown character, but we got 3 (not terribly useful) projectiles one needs to manage very carefully as not to get punished for using.

Did they not see Brawl Link? Did they not see Link64? Melee Link is less prominent since the game is more about footsies and Link can get bopped for trying to camp in that iteration.

Seriously people, #3projectiles... #can'tnotzone #pointlessandlaterirrelavent#sarefun.
In all honesty I agree with them being not terribly useful altogether, but if it weren't for his bombs, Link would be...ugh I can't even think about that.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mweWICjQpSk

It's time to nerf Link again, guys.

I got free courses thanks to my school (pretty nice) through this site called Mango.

It's very basic and introductory, but does a good job at that.

Oooh, excellent, thank you the pair of you. But I actually meant do you find them good or useful?

But I'll definitely be checking out that video and maybe check out Mango. :D

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
First he steals from Dunkey, now Alpharad?

How can anyone like Keyori?

This is blatantly ripping Alpharad. Like, painfully so. What the actual hell?
Oooh, excellent, thank you the pair of you. But I actually meant do you find them good or useful?

But I'll definitely be checking out that video and maybe check out Mango. :D
I need to explore more for myself too… Hope it helps. If you find anything else, do share.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Cyner (I think it was Cyner?) had an interesting idea for a new character design for Link. Like having helm splitter for example and having less emphasis on projectiles.
This is what I've always wanted Link to be in the first place

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
In all honesty I agree with them being not terribly useful altogether, but if it weren't for his bombs, Link would be...ugh I can't even think about that.
The boomerang and arrows, judged individually, really are worthless in comparison to bombs.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

When sm4sh for 3ds just came out, a local called me cheap for spamming. So I asked him "Do you want me to win without pressing B?" to which he replied "I don't care, play however you want". I proceeded to beat every match and make him rage quit 3 times.

He was Bowser.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Whilst they may not be as versatile as the bombs with regards to AT, I definitely think the bow and boomerang are pretty damn handy tools.

FierceGaiety

Smash Cadet
The boomerang and arrows, judged individually, really are worthless in comparison to bombs.
Agreed. Make hookshot a command grab, keep bombs because they're awesome, keep up special because it's iconic, and sell me on one other special because I'm out of ideas and still squirting over hookshot being a command grab thats worth a damn.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Agreed. Make hookshot a command grab, keep bombs because they're awesome, keep up special because it's iconic, and sell me on one other special because I'm out of ideas and still squirting over hookshot being a command grab thats worth a damn.
Helm Splitter. Or a Mortal Draw counter / super armor thing.
Or the Ball and Chain.

OR IS THIS TOO VIOLENTLY AWESOME FOR YOU, SAKURAI

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Link is too awesome for Sakurai. That's why he keeps nerfing him. he hopes that if he nerfs Link enough he'll stop being so manly and Sakurai can finally stop feeling like a little girl next to a man in tights and skirt/tunic.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I personally love boomerang, no one else can get those angles (other than gay). Arrows can suck it if that means better cqc options.

Now if only we could get fire arrows too for a custom :( dumb, gay.

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
What I would do with Specials:
Neutral B: New Bomb pull similar to Snake. Shield to drop or use directions to determine throw, tiliting downwards bowls the bomb for lolz.
Up-B: Grounded Spin Attack same start up speed, much less endlag, slightly weaker (than melee) semi-spike on sourspot/Midair Spin Attack gains extra horizontal movement and small vertical distance increase.
Side B: Smash 64 boomerang, 'nuff said
Down B: Mortal Draw Counter, works like other counters and hits a 1.0 return as opposed to Marth's 0.8 and Ike's 1.2.

Does any of that sound unreasonable?

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
What I would do with Specials:
Neutral B: New Bomb pull similar to Snake. Shield to drop or use directions to determine throw, tiliting downwards bowls the bomb for lolz.
Up-B: Grounded Spin Attack same start up speed, much less endlag, slightly weaker (than melee) semi-spike on sourspot/Midair Spin Attack gains extra horizontal movement and small vertical distance increase.
Side B: Smash 64 boomerang, 'nuff said
Down B: Mortal Draw Counter, works like other counters and hits a 1.0 return as opposed to Marth's 0.8 and Ike's 1.2.

Does any of that sound unreasonable?
I don't see link having a counter. It's not really his style. Might be interesting if he got some sort of combat roll that was short and had different options coming out of it.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Link would be Z tier without them.
Zelda Tier? :troll:

Also, here was that image I was talking about:

Link was probably about 9-10 inches tall and Ganon was about a foot tall. I wanted them so bad but there's no way I could justify 200 bucks for them. Maybe some day...

Edit: If I were to change up Link I'd take away his arrows. I feel like the Smash version of Link is a good representation of him from his game series (somewhat slow/average speed, fairly sturdy, spacer with lots of tools, etc. When I play him he feels like I'm playing Link in a Zelda game) They can make a character like that viable (look at Snake in Brawl), they just never have done quite enough to put Link over that edge; no cqc options, poor recovery, projectiles not quite effective enough, awful grab, you name it. Giving Link his jab back and giving him a regular grab would go a long way towards making him a better character, and I'm sure there are other small tweaks that could theoretically make him a high/top tier character rather than just scrapping his design all together.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I personally love boomerang, no one else can get those angles (other than gay). Arrows can suck it if that means better cqc options.

Now if only we could get fire arrows too for a custom :( dumb, gay.
As a person who played Gay, I can personally say that you do not want Gay's version of the fire arrows. They are very useless and suck like ****

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
I don't see him with a a counter, either. But like the bomb pull like Snake idea, just as long as it explodes on contact.

I'd giving the rang a returning hitbox, but keep it how it was other than that.

Give up B faster start-up and less cool down.

Make down B similar to fox's shine, just facing one way. It will have small knockback, fast startup, and will reflect projectiles, similar to the begining of link's "Helm Splitter" in Twilight Princess.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
People keep falling out of my Usmash, was it this inconsistent before the patch?

Making Link viable wouldn't take too much. Make jab 1 frame faster and cancel like before but without the death combo. Increase Link's air speed. Make grab as fast as normal grabs because normal grabs like Bowser's already outreach it (:facepalm:). Make normal arrows fire and charge as fast as quick fire arrows but keep the damage and distance. Expand bomb explosions and increase hitstun slightly. Slightly reduce boomerang start up lag. Reduce Link's jump animation by a frame or 2. Bring back Bomb Fsmash.

Serac

Smash Cadet
People keep falling out of my Usmash, was it this inconsistent before the patch?

Making Link viable wouldn't take too much. Make jab 1 frame faster and cancel like before but without the death combo. Increase Link's air speed. Make grab as fast as normal grabs because normal grabs like Bowser's already outreach it (:facepalm:). Make normal arrows fire and charge as fast as quick fire arrows but keep the damage and distance. Expand bomb explosions and increase hitstun slightly. Slightly reduce boomerang start up lag. Reduce Link's jump animation by a frame or 2. Bring back Bomb Fsmash.
Yup U-smash is somewhat unreliable, usually it's the second strike fault since it has less range to the sides that the first one, other than than sometimes the first slash has too much knock-back pushing the target and missing the next strikes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom