• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
Smash 64's tier list to Melee's:

Pikachu: High tier (Come on, really...)
Kirby: Bottom tier
Fox: Top tier
Captain Falcon: Top tier
Mario: Mid tier
Yoshi: (Arguable; No answer)
Donkey Kong: Mid tier
Jigglypuf: Top tier
Ness: Low tier
Link: Mid tier
Luigi: High tier
Samus: High tier

Melee's tier list to Brawl's

Fox: Mid tier
Falco: Top tier
Sheik: Low tier
Marth: High tier
Jigglypuff: Bottom tier
Peach: Mid/Low tier
Captain Falcon: Bottom tier
Ice Climbers: Top tier
Dr. Mario: -
Pikachu: Top tier
Samus: Bottom tier
Ganondorf: Bottom tier
Luigi: Bottom tier
Mario: Bottom tier
Young Link: -
Link: Bottom tier
Donkey Kong: Low tier
Yoshi (arguably low placement): Low tier
Zelda: Bottom tier
Roy: -
Mewtwo: -
Game and Watch: High tier
Bowser: Bottom tier
Pichu: -
Kirby: Low tier

Brawl's tier list to Smash 4:

Meta Knight: Bottom tier (Well, that make sense...)
Ice Climbers: -
Olimar: Mid tier (Umm, I guess that's fine.)
Diddy Kong: Top tier (Wait, hold up.)
Marth: Low tier
Snake: -
Falco: Bottom tier
Pikachu: Top tier (wait a sec hasn't he been...)
Zero Suit Samus: Top tier (*facepalm*)
Wario: Low/Mid tier
Lucario: Top tier (WHY THE-)
Dedede: Bottom tier (Please...)
Gay: Mid tier
Wolf: -
Game & Watch: Low tier
Pit: Mid tier
R.O.B.: High tier
Peach: High tier
Kirby: Mid tier
Donkey Kong: High tier
Sonic: Top tier
Ike: Low tier (Why?)
Shelda: -
Sheik: Top tier
Ness: Top tier
Yoshi: Top tier
Luigi: High/Top tier
Charizard: Bottom tier (Seriously what.)
Lucas: -
Mario: High/Top
Samus: Bottom tier (You're kidding me.)
Bowser: High tier
Link: Low tier (Can't)
Jigglypuff: Mid tier (fathom)
Zelda: Bottom tier (Sakurai's)
Ganondorf: Bottom tier (mind.)

Gotta love that Sakurai! Kappa

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So, just curious, why isn't this thread a sticky?
The idea of a sticky thread is a thread of such importance that it should always be accessible regardless of activity. For example, the index gets no posts, but it's of utmost importance so it should be stickied. On the other hand, this thread receives too many posts so the possibility of it ever getting buried or list is nil. As such, sticking it would be redundant.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Smash 64's tier list to Melee's:

Pikachu: High tier (Come on, really...)
Kirby: Bottom tier
Mario: Mid tier
Yoshi: (Arguable; No answer)
Donkey Kong: Mid tier
Jigglypuf: Top tier
Link: Mid tier
Luigi: High tier
Samus: High tier

Melee's tier list to Brawl's

Fox: Mid tier
Falco: Top tier
Sheik: Low tier
Marth: High tier
Jigglypuff: Bottom tier
Peach: Mid/Low tier
Captain Falcon: Bottom tier
Ice Climbers: Top tier
Dr. Mario: -
Pikachu: Top tier
Samus: Bottom tier
Ganondorf: Bottom tier
Luigi: Bottom tier
Mario: Bottom tier
Young Link: -
Link: Bottom tier
Donkey Kong: Low tier
Yoshi (arguably low placement): Low tier
Zelda: Bottom tier
Roy: -
Mewtwo: -
Game and Watch: High tier
Bowser: Bottom tier
Pichu: -
Kirby: Low tier

Brawl's tier list to Smash 4:

Meta Knight: Bottom tier (Well, that make sense...)
Ice Climbers: -
Olimar: Mid tier (Umm, I guess that's fine.)
Diddy Kong: Top tier (Wait, hold up.)
Marth: Low tier
Snake: -
Falco: Bottom tier
Pikachu: Top tier (wait a sec hasn't he been...)
Zero Suit Samus: Top tier (*facepalm*)
Wario: Low/Mid tier
Lucario: Top tier (WHY THE-)
Dedede: Bottom tier (Please...)
Gay: Mid tier
Wolf: -
Game & Watch: Low tier
Pit: Mid tier
R.O.B.: High tier
Peach: High tier
Kirby: Mid tier
Donkey Kong: High tier
Sonic: Top tier
Ike: Low tier (Why?)
Shelda: -
Sheik: Top tier
Ness: Top tier
Yoshi: Top tier
Luigi: High/Top tier
Charizard: Bottom tier (Seriously what.)
Lucas: -
Mario: High/Top
Samus: Bottom tier (You're kidding me.)
Bowser: High tier
Link: Low tier (Can't)
Jigglypuff: Mid tier (fathom)
Zelda: Bottom tier (Sakurai's)
Ganondorf: Bottom tier (mind.)

Gotta love that Sakurai! Kappa
I have to say, some of these seem very opinion base. Also straight out unfair.

Sakurai's just butt hurt because his Kid Icarus game will never be as good as any Zelda game it gets put up against.
You guys do know that Kid Icarus isn't Sakurai's game, right?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Actually they buffed Robin's grab a lot in the patch. It's probably around middle of the pack now In terms of range. Pummeling with it still succks though
I don't think it has been actually. It isn't written down anywhere that it has been and if it had been, the Robin thread would be celebrating. Unless we missed something. Someone should test it.

Incorrect.
Oh, how so?
Pit Question Face (scaled down).png

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I have to say, some of these seem very opinion base. Also straight out unfair.
Take a good look at the official tier lists from all 3 games prior to smash4 and analyze the differences from game to game. This is actually pretty accurate.

You guys do know that Kid Icarus isn't Sakurai's game, right?
I'm sorry, maybe it hadn't crossed your mind that Sora Ltd. made Kid Icarus Uprising and will likely be consulted for the next game in the franchise. Who's the head honcho at Sora? None other than Masahiro Sakurai.
He didn't create the original, but he is ostensibly the one running that series at present and for the forseeable future hence it being "largely" his game.

EDIT: Pardon the Saucyness, I'm bitter about having "shorter" hair atm >.>

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Take a good look at the official tier lists from all 3 games prior to smash4 and analyze the differences from game to game. This is actually pretty accurate.
I don't know. Some of them still seem a little unreasonable. I mean, Ike, Zelda and Link bottom tier? That is just silly.

I'm sorry, maybe it hadn't crossed your mind that Sora Ltd. made Kid Icarus Uprising and will likely be consulted for the next game in the franchise. Who's the head honcho at Sora? None other than Masahiro Sakurai.
He didn't create the original, but he is ostensibly the one running that series at present and for the forseeable future hence it being "largely" his game.

EDIT: Pardon the Saucyness, I'm bitter about having "shorter" hair atm >.>

Well I didn't know that Sakurai was head of Sora Ltd. I thought he was the head of a different company (I can't remember the name. Hal Laboratory I think). Anyway, I guess you do have a point. Still........

Yeah, I know the feeling, short hair really isn't my style. Then again, neither is long.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I don't know. Some of them still seem a little unreasonable. I mean, Ike, Zelda and Link bottom tier? That is just silly.
Well for those three I'll elucidate a little bit on. Most of us say Link is awful after the patch with little to no CQ game, and getting outcamped by Characters with a single projectile. The Zelda boards will tell you that the Princess is not feeling well in this game either, and from everything I've played and seen of Ike outside of customs he is too read dependent to be anything higher than low tier. Ike is probably not nearly as low as Link and Zelda, but he's certainly nothing amazing.

Well I didn't know that Sakurai was head of Sora Ltd. I thought he was the head of a different company (I can't remember the name. Hal Laboratory I think). Anyway, I guess you do have a point. Still........

Yeah, I know the feeling, short hair really isn't my style. Then again, neither is long.
Yup, he left Hal Laboratories somewhere in the middle of developing Melee, and formed his own company that did the lion's share of work on Brawl (so we have them to blame for imbalance) and even after obtaining Namco's assistance (the company that runs Soul Calibur and Tekken, well respected tournament fighting games) Sakurai insisted on doing nearly ever bit of balancing in-house to get the game "just so"... That aside from being the team to develop the long awaited reboot to KI in Uprising.

My hair is mid length still, but the haircut was perfect until I worried that my parents would nag me about it being too long still. The resulting adjustment ruined everything... so from now on everyone else can get bent. Hair is srs bzns bros. #forrealz

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
The idea of a sticky thread is a thread of such importance that it should always be accessible regardless of activity. For example, the index gets no posts, but it's of utmost importance so it should be stickied. On the other hand, this thread receives too many posts so the possibility of it ever getting buried or list is nil. As such, sticking it would be redundant.
fair enough! It just crossed my mind

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well for those three I'll elucidate a little bit on. Most of us say Link is awful after the patch with little to no CQ game, and getting outcamped by Characters with a single projectile. The Zelda boards will tell you that the Princess is not feeling well in this game either, and from everything I've played and seen of Ike outside of customs he is too read dependent to be anything higher than low tier. Ike is probably not nearly as low as Link and Zelda, but he's certainly nothing amazing.
I still think that they aren't bad characters. Probable not great, but not that bad.

Yup, he left Hal Laboratories somewhere in the middle of developing Melee, and formed his own company that did the lion's share of work on Brawl (so we have them to blame for imbalance) and even after obtaining Namco's assistance (the company that runs Soul Calibur and Tekken, well respected tournament fighting games) Sakurai insisted on doing nearly ever bit of balancing in-house to get the game "just so"... That aside from being the team to develop the long awaited reboot to KI in Uprising.

My hair is mid length still, but the haircut was perfect until I worried that my parents would nag me about it being too long still. The resulting adjustment ruined everything... so from now on everyone else can get bent. Hair is srs bzns bros. #forrealz
Hm, I guess you have prove me to be wrong. I learnt something new today.

Eh, don't worry, it should grow back eventually then you can fix it up again.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings

Yeah I second Ike... Technically speaking, even though I play much better with Link, ikes not as bad as him. In fact, id argue Ike is much better than Link. His options are just flat out completely better. However, he suffers from very slow attacks resulting in an overdependency on all of his faster moves... But it definitely works. Honestly if I actually mained Ike I'd probably be more of a threat... But nah, that's lame.

I had a long hair phase when I was a kid but then again I think everyone does.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I don't think it has been actually. It isn't written down anywhere that it has been and if it had been, the Robin thread would be celebrating. Unless we missed something. Someone should test it.
View attachment 50699
Hm. I second Robin. I could swear that grab range is a good bit better now. It was putrid before and it doesn't seem to be that bad now.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Guaranteed throw combos? If Link's throws behaved similarly to characters like Ike's, his opponents would definitely have to respect him more. However, having throw combos without a good enough grab game to complement them would be meaningless. Even if Link did have a good throw game, he is still going to be held back as long as he has a tether grab. But then again, that didn't stop ZSS from using her throw combos.

Anyways, how would you guys rank each iteration of Link competitively from best to worst? ^-^
Melee>/=SmashWiiU>N64>>>Brawl

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hm. I second Robin. I could swear that grab range is a good bit better now. It was putrid before and it doesn't seem to be that bad now.
Hm, I don't know. I played a quick match this morn against a CPU Charizard I was basic right on him, I press grab, heard Robin's sword effect of his grab, and it did grab charizard.

I'll still go test it later though.

What buffs did Robin get?
So far it has mostly been his El Wind Tome that as gotten the buffs with it begin able to grab the ledge backwards and that his rapid jab's hits Link better and that is about it. Nothing to special

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
1 second of power outage is all it takes to nullify 4 hours of custom farming...*sigh*

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Helm Splitter. Or a Mortal Draw counter / super armor thing.
Or the Ball and Chain.
I'd love it if Link had a counter. I second Marth because of that counter. I think Link's counter would involve "presenting" his shield, and on-hit would spin with the momentum into a slice. Or whatever.

I'd make his spin attack more like the games: one quick spin as a GTFO move. None of this twirling in place for days. I don't need it to kill or damage-rack, I just need a quick get-off-me move I can use when Sonic, Shiek and the Captain start running over me. That doesn't allow a charged smash attack if they block it.

I'd also like to customize the Z button. Drop hookshot for Shield Bash -- a 4f unblockable jab that knocksdown, basically. And a normal-ish grab with Titan's Mitt / Power Glove.

And as a custom neutral-B: the magic spell book from Zelda 2: Adventure of Link. Five spells selected like Decisive Monado Arts: Fairy, Fire, Reflect, Spell, Thunder.

And a pony. I also want a pony.

FierceGaiety

Smash Cadet
Dude, this guy owns the golden gauntlets, give us a 100% kill throw lol. Then again if we're talking timeline, is this canon Twilight Princess Link? If so it's time to storm the gates over not being a pro fencer.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
I'm ****ing travelling for all but one hour of the Splatoon beta and I will definitely be on it during that one hour.

Seems more like a stress test than beta though.

FierceGaiety

Smash Cadet
Now that I think about it the golden gauntlets would be a guaranteed throw kill at 0% on everyone. So better go for the silver gauntlets for the spirit of fair play.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Sooo... Nintendo's gonna make a theme park with Universal Studios.... and If I can't throw turtle shells at children while driving a go-kart at 200cc, I'm gonna be very dissapointed.

But in all seriousness, I'm pretty intrigued which attractions Nintendo has in mind. Though sadly, the chances of a Metroid or F-Zero exhibit are close to nil.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Sooo... Nintendo's gonna make a theme park with Universal Studios.... and If I can't throw turtle shells at children while driving a go-kart at 200cc, I'm gonna be very dissapointed.

But in all seriousness, I'm pretty intrigued which attractions Nintendo has in mind. Though sadly, the chances of a Metroid or F-Zero exhibit are close to nil.
at least mario kart bumper cars...hopefully go karts.

I am not sure either. Metroid would be sick as **** but will definitely be mario, zelda and maybe kirby

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

Source please? Also, I'm willing to bet it'll mostly be roller coasters, 3D rides, and some disappointing crap. Nintendo isn't that good at knowing what to license and how to do anything that isn't games properly.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
@ Zane the pure Zane the pure : Same, my hair was cut recently (on my b-day) and I hate the way I look. It used to be super long, longer than most guys at my school even, if not the longest. Now I'm forced to tie up what's left in a tiny ponytail, otherwise it looks gay af. At least they left my split bangs alone, lol. I plan to either cut it again at some point, or let it grow out again. Probably the latter.

Edit: So now that I'm 17, can I be taken a little more seriously around here? :p

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Your age has nothing to do with how you're treated. It's your attitude, and that is independent of age.
If you act like a 12 year old you're going to be treated as such (like some particular ninja vanishing device we all know). However you are capable of being mature beyond your age and vice versa

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So you're that kinda guy, huh?
Your age has nothing to do with how you're treated. It's your attitude, and that is independent of age.
Fair enough. But me almost being an adult should at least get me something. I've been playing Smash in a competitive mindset since I was 11, after all. But that's enough of that.

Anyone else hoping that someone makes a balanced Sm4sh mod? A bigger wish of mine though is if someone could mix the mechanics of Sm4sh and Melee. Just think about it. Wave dashing, dash dancing, L-canceling, and momentum-carried jumps from Melee paired up with the other original mechanics. It would be glorious.

Top Bottom