• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Get up options. I don't play smash 4 often but when I do I'd like to know a little tech. I think I'm still better with Brawl Link lmao. And DEFINITELY better with Melee Link.

Also, what's good with throws? Dthrow isn't doing it for me anymore, everyone's jumping out before i can follow up.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Get up options. I don't play smash 4 often but when I do I'd like to know a little tech. I think I'm still better with Brawl Link lmao. And DEFINITELY better with Melee Link.

Also, what's good with throws? Dthrow isn't doing it for me anymore, everyone's jumping out before i can follow up.
We still have the same options as we did in Brawl, except for the extended invulnerability, and include a ledgehop Zair (which I can't remember whether Link could do it in Brawl or not).

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
The ledge is dangerous in this game without invulnerability, so I usually leave as fast as possible.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Hmmm. I feel like ledgehop aerials are pretty bad in this game but I could be wrong. Ledgehop zair is pretty cute, I like that idea.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
The only reason they were any good before was because of the invincibility. Anybody who reads a ledgehop attack will smash you in the face. Ledgehop zair is useful if they are far away enough, however.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Without Sakurai we wouldn't have SSBs but I do see the love/hate relationship :/

For ledge get ups: if the opponent stands back I'll edge stall an arrow> regrab then buffer a ledge option based on how they react (ledge roll as they usually run in to get me). Ledge jump>bomb pull is a great option for anytime they don't predict the jump and Dair or something. Ledge attack might have invulnerability when the attack happens, like in Brawl (needs testing), and should beat opponents charging attacks w/o armor frames. Ledge rolls are better than Brawl and you can buffer another roll quickly, good for if the opponent hops to stop your get up. Simply ledge standing get up lets you react the fastest with a roll/jab/jump/etc and can be the best if the opponent hangs back trying to read a ledge roll or jump.

Ledge hop aerials aren't good in SSB4; if you're hit you end up offstage without a 2nd jump. I'd only ledge hop>bomb pull when the opponent is far away.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Hmmm. I feel like ledgehop aerials are pretty bad in this game but I could be wrong. Ledgehop zair is pretty cute, I like that idea.
While it can be said that due to the loss of invulnerability and the new shield properties ledgehop aerials are worse (I was talking about this with blubba yesterday), I would say that this is not necessarily true. They are riskier, which can be interpreted as worse for sure, but they aren't bad on a "don't do them" way. Just be smart about how you do them.

The Zair is super sexy though since a lot of people don't expect it, but I'd recommend t only for people far away charging smashes to read your roll.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I believe uthrow is a pretty good setup for utilt at low %s (and by low % I mean at or below about 20%), or perperhaps even utilt strings depending on weight and fall speed. Though it might be too high, and I'm unsure if you can DJ out if that's the case. This is very difficult to lab without a partner. Could someone take over for me? @ Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
MM doesn't have a hylian shield ._.
also just putting it out there gilded sword >>>>> razor sword
Meh, I always found the gilded sword bland compared to the razor. Even the kokiri sword looks cooler

No joke, if they put Young Link back in Smash (as he was before) with the Razor Sword and MM Hylian Shield I would play him so much.
It's an arbitrary inclusion that would be very much appreciated.
Honestly, I want every DLC character to be a surprise or something unexpected.

"They won't make Assist Trophies into DLC fighters!"
Adds Midna.
"They won't add three Links to one game!"
Adds Young Link.
"They won't have third-party DLC!"
Adds Snake and Rayman.
"They won't add indie game characters to Smash ever!"
Adds Shovel Knight.
So on.
Why not hyrule warriors version? Imagine him destroyinh everything in a badass way while wielding a two handed sword? Plus it would make him unquie from the other link's.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
The Zair is super sexy though since a lot of people don't expect it, but I'd recommend t only for people far away charging smashes to read your roll.
Ledgehop Zair is amazing and always catches me off guard. My main sparring partner is a Link main and this is one great tool he uses to mix up his ledge game.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So would anyone like to share what their playstyles are like, and how they came to be? Here's some info on mine which I posted in a different thread not too long ago:
Link's ability to be aggressive in this game has become a pretty big part of my playstyle. I'd even say that I spend a lot more time on the offensive than being defensive. However I will admit that my level of aggressiveness can vary on the MU and situation in a match, unless of course my opponent isn't very good.
On top of that I'd like to add that if I see an opportunity to gimp you, I have no fear in hurling myself offstage to land something. There's a lot that I can attempt, but I'll more often go for a ff nair over anything else. And if anything goes wrong, I'm quite good at wall teching. :lick:

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
So would anyone like to share what their playstyles are like, and how they came to be? Here's some info on mine which I posted in a different thread not too long ago:
@Legan . When I started playing Brawl, I decided I loved the way Legan played with great spacing, playing fast, and weaving back and forth between projectiles and smart CQC and tried to emulate his playstyle as much as possible (albeit nowhere near as good :awesome:).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why not hyrule warriors version? Imagine him destroyinh everything in a badass way while wielding a two handed sword? Plus it would make him unquie from the other link's.
Because if we get a Zelda character that is unique I would rather it's someone else rather than a third Link.
Besides I like Link's actual moveset, I just think he's a bit too slow and his Smash 4 model is really ugly.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Because if we get a Zelda character that is unique I would rather it's someone else rather than a third Link.
Besides I like Link's actual moveset, I just think he's a bit too slow and his Smash 4 model is really ugly.
D: I guess I will find no Young Link love here.....

Though I can guess the character you're talking about, a certain demon lord, curse for very to be an assist :smirk:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
@Legan . When I started playing Brawl, I decided I loved the way Legan played with great spacing, playing fast, and weaving back and forth between projectiles and smart CQC and tried to emulate his playstyle as much as possible (albeit nowhere near as good :awesome:).
Back in my Brawl days, the first thing I remember was trying to play like Izaw. I remember how in awe I was at how flashy and aggro he played (he was also the first pro Brawl Link I had seen). It was hard to believe anyone could be so good with Link until I discovered the others, but he had a very distinctincive playstyle that no one else could best imo. He was by far the most entertaining player to watch go ham with Link in Brawl.

Of course I was still trash at first lol, but as my skill level arose, I slowly became better at it and I started to develop my very own playstyle, though it was definitely pretty rough.:laugh: Most of my experience came from random people online, and soon I noticed that I was much better than them. So that's when I started to look for people who were better at the game. That's when my playstyle really started to evolve.

When I first heard about PM, I was pretty sceptical and I even hated on it for a while. But when I got to play it for myself, I was hooked on the first day. I loved all the combos you were able to do and how much faster it was, not to mention that they had removed tripping and Link was an amazing character at the time. Most of my playstyle and skill was brought over from Brawl and I adapted from there. I could never really go back to vBrawl after that. PM was so much more fun to play at a high level that it blew Brawl out of the water, and so I played PM for about a year and a half.

Then came Smash 4. My playstyle adapted pretty easily after having to adapt from Brawl to PM, and I'm still improving. I still play PM today, but I've slowly grown tired of it, especially when there's no wifi, and there's never anyone around who would want to keep playing Smash with me personally. And even then, Sm4sh's netcode is miles ahead of Brawl's, so I just don't find any reason to go back to PM anymore. Perhaps someday I can enjoy playing it again when I finally start to get involved with my local smash scene, but until then, I'll be focusing more on Sm4sh.

Sorry for the walls of text lol. It's more like my Smash history than a simple description of my playstyle. :awesome: It would be fine though if you guys would like to share yours as well. I definitely wouldn't mind getting to know some of my fellow Link main's origins.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
On top of that I'd like to add that if I see an opportunity to gimp you, I have no fear in hurling myself offstage to land something. There's a lot that I can attempt, but I'll more often go for a ff nair over anything else. And if anything goes wrong, I'm quite good at wall teching. :lick:
I like to fight without projectiles once in a while. Obviously not optimal, but I find it fun. Especially when I come into a ditto with a fellow Link on FG who spams projectiles all the time. Or against other swordfighters so I can show off "hey I'm better than you at swordplay, don't need my arrows/bombs/rangs to back me up".

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I like to fight without projectiles once in a while. Obviously not optimal, but I find it fun. Especially when I come into a ditto with a fellow Link on FG who spams projectiles all the time. Or against other swordfighter so I can show off "hey I'm better than you at swordplay, don't need my arrows/bombs/rangs to back me up".
Same lol. I can go entire games that way on FG if my opponents are just that scrubby. I can do pretty well only using bombs throughout the majority of a match as well, even in pretty close games sometimes.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I definitely wouldn't mind getting to know some of my fellow Link main's origins.
How about a non-Link main? Mine's pretty complex but I'll try to make it as short as possible. I got into Smash with the original. Click the spoiler tags for my background in smash!
1999 was a great year for me! My actual first main I can't recall since I did not take that game seriously plus I did not know what the concept of a fighting game or its community was when I was at the age of 9. I use Jigglypuff as my main now though. I love rest combos.

Melee came out in 2001 and I remember obtaining it on Christmas day. I woke up that Christmas day at 5AM and started playing as quickly as possible. I remember I unlocked Dr. Mario as my first secret character. In that game, I was a Marth main throughout. Again, I did not have a clue of what the FGC was, what a main was. In high school, we created the council of elders. It was composed of myself, and two of my friends, which where the best Melee players in our school. Or so we thought. We did not know anything about advanced techniques or anything.

By 2005, we where bringing our Gamecubes to school and playing during Lunch hours. A lot of people from different grade levels tried to challenge us, but they could not get a win. Beating two of the three members of the council would get you a spot in said council. One day, a guy from one grade younger than us came to challenge us. He was a Falco main. Now, that a character I was not used to seeing. The council was composed of myself a Marth main, a Pikachu main, and a Link main. With our idea that we where the best in the school, in our minds we thought that meant those where the best characters. Well, this Falco guy that challenged us came to prove a point. The council of elders where scrubs that did not know any advanced techniques. That Falco came and started multi-shining, pillaring, wavedashing, SHUFFL, and L-cancelling all over us. As soon as I saw that I knew something was up. The game was more complex than what I thought. The Falco main was incredibly friendly. He told us of Smashboards and the resources we needed if we wanted to improve. I was the only one to take up his offer and I not only joined Smashboards, I started trying to improve.

2008 rolled by and Brawl released. This was when I started attending tournaments. I originally used Lucas as my main but then that changed to Luigi. I posted a lot of stuff in the Brawl Luigi boards back in the day. I then picked up Meta Knight, cause Meta Knight. Although I kept Luigi as a counter pick character, primarily for Diddy Kong's. I had a lot of fun during this time and I went from low tournament placings to as high as second place in a few tournaments in my country. Funnily enough, I still did not know a lot of the concepts that most players do. I just researched videos and tried to emulate what the top players in the US did. I stopped going to tournaments by 2010 and returned to the scene in 2012 when the Smash community in Puerto Rico had reshifted it's focus back to Melee. By 2009 I had stopped posting in Smashboards.

2012 Melee is back! Time to brush up on my Marth... Welp I picked up Shiek. That did not work out for me as much as I would like. I still struggle with competitive Melee intensely. Not a lot to say here other than this was probably the period where I did the worst in tournament placings but definitely my best period for Smash. I made a lot of new friends and I enjoyed the game in a more mature and understanding way than before. I was starting to understand what frame data was, how to react to situations etc.

2014. Still playing Melee but Smash 4 will release! I started being active in Smashboards once again but I had yet to decide on my main prior to the games release. I went from Palutena, to Rosalina, to finally choosing Lucina as my main. I then started posting avidly in both the Marth and Lucina sub-forums trying to understand frame data and the more complex aspects of the game that I still do not know to the incredible levels of some of the users I have had the pleasure of meeting during my time here. By this time I had landed a job in Austin Texas and I started to go to tournaments in this region in early January. Sadly, Lucina wasn't doing well in tournaments for me so I decided to go with Shiek and Diddy. I placed 5th in my first tournament followed by two consecutive 1st place finishes and then a 9th placing in the monthly tournament that had players from all over Texas show up to Austin. I am currently still deciding on a competitive main since I just feel weird when I use Diddy. The character just doesn't speak to me as how characters did back with Melee.
Wow I thought this was going to be short. Well I guess it is cause I could talk about way more stuff for every paragraph that I typed! But yea right now I'm just investigating characters.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
How about a non-Link main? Mine's pretty complex but I'll try to make it as short as possible. I got into Smash with the original. Click the spoiler tags for my background in smash!
1999 was a great year for me! My actual first main I can't recall since I did not take that game seriously plus I did not know what the concept of a fighting game or its community was when I was at the age of 9. I use Jigglypuff as my main now though. I love rest combos.

Melee came out in 2001 and I remember obtaining it on Christmas day. I woke up that Christmas day at 5AM and started playing as quickly as possible. I remember I unlocked Dr. Mario as my first secret character. In that game, I was a Marth main throughout. Again, I did not have a clue of what the FGC was, what a main was. In high school, we created the council of elders. It was composed of myself, and two of my friends, which where the best Melee players in our school. Or so we thought. We did not know anything about advanced techniques or anything.

By 2005, we where bringing our Gamecubes to school and playing during Lunch hours. A lot of people from different grade levels tried to challenge us, but they could not get a win. Beating two of the three members of the council would get you a spot in said council. One day, a guy from one grade younger than us came to challenge us. He was a Falco main. Now, that a character I was not used to seeing. The council was composed of myself a Marth main, a Pikachu main, and a Link main. With our idea that we where the best in the school, in our minds we thought that meant those where the best characters. Well, this Falco guy that challenged us came to prove a point. The council of elders where scrubs that did not know any advanced techniques. That Falco came and started multi-shining, pillaring, wavedashing, SHUFFL, and L-cancelling all over us. As soon as I saw that I knew something was up. The game was more complex than what I thought. The Falco main was incredibly friendly. He told us of Smashboards and the resources we needed if we wanted to improve. I was the only one to take up his offer and I not only joined Smashboards, I started trying to improve.

2008 rolled by and Brawl released. This was when I started attending tournaments. I originally used Lucas as my main but then that changed to Luigi. I posted a lot of stuff in the Brawl Luigi boards back in the day. I then picked up Meta Knight, cause Meta Knight. Although I kept Luigi as a counter pick character, primarily for Diddy Kong's. I had a lot of fun during this time and I went from low tournament placings to as high as second place in a few tournaments in my country. Funnily enough, I still did not know a lot of the concepts that most players do. I just researched videos and tried to emulate what the top players in the US did. I stopped going to tournaments by 2010 and returned to the scene in 2012 when the Smash community in Puerto Rico had reshifted it's focus back to Melee. By 2009 I had stopped posting in Smashboards.

2012 Melee is back! Time to brush up on my Marth... Welp I picked up Shiek. That did not work out for me as much as I would like. I still struggle with competitive Melee intensely. Not a lot to say here other than this was probably the period where I did the worst in tournament placings but definitely my best period for Smash. I made a lot of new friends and I enjoyed the game in a more mature and understanding way than before. I was starting to understand what frame data was, how to react to situations etc.

2014. Still playing Melee but Smash 4 will release! I started being active in Smashboards once again but I had yet to decide on my main prior to the games release. I went from Palutena, to Rosalina, to finally choosing Lucina as my main. I then started posting avidly in both the Marth and Lucina sub-forums trying to understand frame data and the more complex aspects of the game that I still do not know to the incredible levels of some of the users I have had the pleasure of meeting during my time here. By this time I had landed a job in Austin Texas and I started to go to tournaments in this region in early January. Sadly, Lucina wasn't doing well in tournaments for me so I decided to go with Shiek and Diddy. I placed 5th in my first tournament followed by two consecutive 1st place finishes and then a 9th placing in the monthly tournament that had players from all over Texas show up to Austin. I am currently still deciding on a competitive main since I just feel weird when I use Diddy. The character just doesn't speak to me as how characters did back with Melee.
Wow I thought this was going to be short. Well I guess it is cause I could talk about way more stuff for every paragraph that I typed! But yea right now I'm just investigating characters.
I am somewhat saddened at seeing you dropping your main for Sheik or Diddy.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I am somewhat saddened at seeing you dropping your main for Sheik or Diddy.
It has happened before; Meta Knight. I usually work to get results, and I usually end up defaulting to what lets me get to that in a quicker pace. However, by no means do I foster that mentality in others. I am way more impressed by those who stick to their mains and discover ways to surpass their limits. This is probably the reason I am always trying to find a main. I acknowledge two perfectly fine mentalities in my viewpoint and they conflict with one another. I want to keep on using Lucina, but I want results quickly and effectively. It ends with me stuck in an infinite loop as to what character to main, an incredible indecisiveness that ends up bothering me quite a bit and usually costing me tournaments due to me switching characters between difficult sets.

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I definitely wouldn't mind getting to know some of my fellow Link main's origins.
1986. Legend of Zelda came out.
1987. Huggles was born.
1989. Huggles messed up his dad's second quest Zelda file and forever became a LoZ fan.
1999. Smash 64 came out. Huggles mained Link because he's freaking Link.
2001. Melee came out. Huggles mained Link because he's freaking Link. Then he was pressured to switch to Doc because he was going to be a Dr. when he graduated, but still seconded Link (a moment of weakness, I know).
2008. Brawl came out. Huggles mained Link because he's freaking Link.
2014. Smash 4 came out. Huggles mained Link because he's freaking Link.

I main Link because HE'S FREAKING LINK!

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
That's why I choose to main the first rpg character I've ever known in my entire history of gaming and the first character I ever used in Smash 64: :4link:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've always used Link in every SSB. Aside from being a huge LoZ fan I really love Link's technical, indirect gameplay style.

I can't really blame anyone for using good characters. People can use who they want as long as they don't hate other people for playing low tiers or whatever.

To those not subbed to the metagame thread:
For shame *shakes head disapprovingly*.
Also jab cancel lock, infinite slash, jab lock, w/e may be patched out soon.
http://smashboards.com/threads/link...-techniques-here.379659/page-14#post-18551761
I'm okay with this. Link has always been about smart play, resourcefulness and spacing. I'd rather not have people pick him up for an easy semi-infinite.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015

No it's cool lol. Great read non the less. It's a lot more in-depth than what I wrote mainly because it was made purely as your background story. Definitely gunna expand a lot more on my Smash history now. So here it is:
Way back when GameCubes were still $100, my dad went ahead and got me a jet black one from Walmart along with a bunch of other games. However I didn't get Melee until a while after that.This was around 2007-ish. I was about 9 yrs old then and I was completely unaware of competitive Melee. I just played it casually for the most part and I wasn't concerned about getting better outside of the modes. I was actually playing Link because I thought he was a cool looking character, before I even played my first Zelda game (my first Zelda game to really play was OoT quite some time before I had Brawl, and I actually played it a long time before Melee when I was very young, only I played it briefly and I didn't remember the name). When I first heard about Brawl, I was begging for my parents to get me it for some time. I didn't get it until way later at around the end of 2010, when I had managed to save enough money to buy it myself. A little while before then, my mom decided to buy me the non-backwards compatable Wii. I remember actually being able to tell that there was something changed in terms of the games mechanics/feel, so I actually had to adjust a little to it. Though that's pretty unusual with how premature I was in terms of experience.

Anyways, back in Melee, Link's black tunic alt was the closest thing I could get to Dark Link so when I saw that Dark Link alt in Brawl, I was pretty hyped. I barely ever used any other color/alt after that. I also remember believing that I could unlock Young Link in Brawl, so I looked all around the interwebs in order to find out how :upsidedown:. Eventually I ended up asking, and that's when I got the news that Toon Link replaced Young Link. Of course that didn't phase me too much. I was a little let down, but I was still pretty exited about getting to play him, so I found out how to do it and eventually I did, but I was pretty disappointed, thinking that he would play just like Link, but frankly that just wasn't the case, so I disliked him for that (it's kinda funny though bebecause now I dislike Tink for the complete opposite reason). And so I just stuck with Link from then on.

After a few hundred random online matches, I started to browse youtube for more things on Brawl Link. One of the first things I found was Izaw's Art of Link vid, and then proceeded to look at his other vids. I was pretty mesmorised at how good he was. I never imagined that someone could be so good at the game. That's when I was introduced to high level play (which snowballed into the discovery of high compettitive Melee and the Smash scene in general, though I didn't see its full scale until I watched the Smash Brothers documentary much later, which really opened my eyes to competitive Smash).

I absorbed as much as I could on Link and implemented it into my playstyle. Advanced techniques and all, starting with the ones in Izaw's Art of Link vid. I then was trying emulate Izaw's playstyle with all of that flashyness and tech skill. I remember how in awe I was at how flashy and aggro he played. I even left a few fanboy posts on his vids that I still facepalm at. I also watched some of the other pro Link mains after that, but Izaw had a very distinctincive playstyle that no one else could really best imo. He was by far the most entertaining player to watch go ham with Link in Brawl. I looked up to him back then.

Of course I was still trash at first lol, but as my skill level arose, I slowly became better at it and I started to develop my very own playstyle, though it was definitely pretty rough.:laugh: Most of my experience came from random people online who I would try to dazzle with my glorious tech skill, and soon I noticed that I was much better than them. So that's when I started to look for people who were better at the game and add them into my friend list (one of which is a Marth main that I still talk to today, who now plays Sm4sh as well). That's when my playstyle really started to evolve.

*/end of actual expansion besides some mild updates here and there*

When I first heard about PM, I was pretty sceptical and I even hated on it for a while. This was around the end of 2013. But when I got to play it for myself, I was hooked on the first day. I started with version 3.02. I loved all the combos you were able to do and how much faster it was, not to mention that they had removed tripping and Link was an amazing character at the time. Most of my playstyle and skill was brought over from Brawl and I adapted from there. I could never really go back to vBrawl after that. PM was so much more fun to play at a high level that it blew Brawl out of the water, and so I played PM for about a year and a half. I was always exited when hearing about the new updates. That Included 3.5 but they nerfed Link a little too hard, so PM kinda let me down there. They pretty much made Link mediocre.

Then came Smash 4. I remember just hoping that Ghirahim was playable until he was confirmed as an assist trophy with my Marth main friend from Brawl. We were nothing short of heartboken, and it made me all the more pissed at Toon Link. When I finally had my hands on the 3DS version, my playstyle adapted pretty easily. Especially after having to adapt from Melee to Brawl and then to PM, and I'm still improving quite rapidly. I still play PM today, but I've slowly grown tired of it, especially when there's no wifi, and there's never anyone around who would want to keep playing Smash with me personally. And even then, Sm4sh's netcode is miles ahead of Brawl's, so I just don't find any reason to go back to PM anymore. Perhaps someday I can enjoy playing it again when I finally start to get involved with my local smash scene, but until then, I'll be focusing more on Sm4sh.
More boring walls of text for those who don't want to deal with it lol.

It's kinda funny how loyal I've been to maining Link for so long. I've never mained anyone else. No joke. That might change however if there are Smash games after Sm4sh, where by that point I'll be more concerned about who I can win with over favorites since I'll likely have my part in the scene for a while by then. Link would probably still always be a close secondary though. :p I might even change my main in PM when I start playing again since Link just isn't as good now. I'll probably switch to Marth or Ike.

*edit: As for why I mained Link for so long, it's because he's my favorite character from my favorite gaming franchise of all time, and after playing him long enough and having the most knowledge and experience on this character over all the others, I just fell in love with his playstyle enough so that it melded with mine. There will never be a Smash game where Link wouldn't be at least one of my most played characters.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
No it's cool lol. Great read non the less. It's a lot more in-depth than what I wrote mainly because it was made purely as your background story. Definitely gunna expand a lot more on my Smash history now. So here it is:
Way back when GameCubes were still $100, my dad went ahead and got me a jet black one from Walmart along with a bunch of other games. However I didn't get Melee until a while after that.This was around 2007-ish. I was about 9 yrs old then and I was completely unaware of competitive Melee. I just played it casually for the most part and I wasn't concerned about getting better outside of the modes. I was actually playing Link because I thought he was a cool looking character, before I even played my first Zelda game (my first Zelda game to really play was OoT quite some time before I had Brawl, and I actually played it a long time before Melee when I was very young, only I played it briefly and I didn't remember the name). When I first heard about Brawl, I was begging for my parents to get me it for some time. I didn't get it until way later at around the end of 2010, when I had managed to save enough money to buy it myself. A little while before then, my mom decided to buy me the non-backwards compatable Wii. I remember actually being able to tell that there was something changed in terms of the games mechanics/feel, so I actually had to adjust a little to it. Though that's pretty unusual with how premature I was in terms of experience.

Anyways, back in Melee, Link's black tunic alt was the closest thing I could get to Dark Link so when I saw that Dark Link alt in Brawl, I was pretty hyped. I barely ever used any other color/alt after that. I also remember believing that I could unlock Young Link in Brawl, so I looked all around the interwebs in order to find out how :upsidedown:. Eventually I ended up asking, and that's when I got the news that Toon Link replaced Young Link. Of course that didn't phase me too much. I was a little let down, but I was still pretty exited about getting to play him, so I found out how to do it and eventually I did, but I was pretty disappointed, thinking that he would play just like Link, but frankly that just wasn't the case, so I disliked him for that (it's kinda funny though bebecause now I dislike Tink for the complete opposite reason). And so I just stuck with Link from then on.

After a few hundred random online matches, I started to browse youtube for more things on Brawl Link. One of the first things I found was Izaw's Art of Link vid, and then proceeded to look at his other vids. I was pretty mesmorised at how good he was. I never imagined that someone could be so good at the game. That's when I was introduced to high level play (which snowballed into the discovery of high compettitive Melee and the Smash scene in general, though I didn't see its full scale until I watched the Smash Brothers documentary much later, which really opened my eyes to competitive Smash).

I absorbed as much as I could on Link and implemented it into my playstyle. Advanced techniques and all, starting with the ones in Izaw's Art of Link vid. I then was trying emulate Izaw's playstyle with all of that flashyness and tech skill. I remember how in awe I was at how flashy and aggro he played. I even left a few fanboy posts on his vids that I still facepalm at. I also watched some of the other pro Link mains after that, but Izaw had a very distinctincive playstyle that no one else could really best imo. He was by far the most entertaining player to watch go ham with Link in Brawl. I looked up to him back then.

Of course I was still trash at first lol, but as my skill level arose, I slowly became better at it and I started to develop my very own playstyle, though it was definitely pretty rough.:laugh: Most of my experience came from random people online who I would try to dazzle with my glorious tech skill, and soon I noticed that I was much better than them. So that's when I started to look for people who were better at the game and add them into my friend list (one of which is a Marth main that I still talk to today, who now plays Sm4sh as well). That's when my playstyle really started to evolve.

*/end of actual expansion besides some mild updates here and there*

When I first heard about PM, I was pretty sceptical and I even hated on it for a while. This was around the end of 2013. But when I got to play it for myself, I was hooked on the first day. I started with version 3.02. I loved all the combos you were able to do and how much faster it was, not to mention that they had removed tripping and Link was an amazing character at the time. Most of my playstyle and skill was brought over from Brawl and I adapted from there. I could never really go back to vBrawl after that. PM was so much more fun to play at a high level that it blew Brawl out of the water, and so I played PM for about a year and a half. I was always exited when hearing about the new updates. That Included 3.5 but they nerfed Link a little too hard, so PM kinda let me down there. They pretty much made Link mediocre.

Then came Smash 4. I remember just hoping that Ghirahim was playable until he was confirmed as an assist trophy with my Marth main friend from Brawl. We were nothing short of heartboken, and it made me all the more pissed at Toon Link. When I finally had my hands on the 3DS version, my playstyle adapted pretty easily. Especially after having to adapt from Melee to Brawl and then to PM, and I'm still improving quite rapidly. I still play PM today, but I've slowly grown tired of it, especially when there's no wifi, and there's never anyone around who would want to keep playing Smash with me personally. And even then, Sm4sh's netcode is miles ahead of Brawl's, so I just don't find any reason to go back to PM anymore. Perhaps someday I can enjoy playing it again when I finally start to get involved with my local smash scene, but until then, I'll be focusing more on Sm4sh.
More boring walls of text for those who don't want to deal with it lol.

It's kinda funny how loyal I've been to maining Link for so long. I've never mained anyone else. No joke. That might change however if there are Smash games after Sm4sh, where by that point I'll be more concerned about who I can win with over favorites since I'll likely have my part in the scene for a while by then. Link would probably still always be a close secondary though. :p I might even change my main in PM when I start playing again since Link just isn't as good now. I'll probably switch to Marth or Ike.

*edit: As for why I mained Link for so long, it's because he's my favorite character from my favorite gaming franchise of all time, and after playing him long enough and having the most knowledge and experience on this character over all the others, I just fell in love with his playstyle enough so that it melded with mine. There will never be a Smash game where Link wouldn't be at least one of my most played characters.
I can relate to the end of this post. There's been countless times, and I mean countless times, where I've sat down in front of my TV, controller in hand, after a long line of painful losses wondering if I'm due for another main. I've even "switched" mains for a day trying to find a character I can enjoy using (which has always been Bowser since Melee believe it or not). But for some reason, every time I try to switch to a new main, I go back to Link. It's almost like I have to use him. I mained Ike in Brawl for a long time surprisingly. Back then, I guess I used to think a scrawny guy trying to swing around a heavy sword was as cool as it gets (kids, ya know?). But towards the end of Brawl's life span (and actually throughout PM as well), I shifted back to Link, no questions asked. Didn't even matter that he was like the third worst character in the game. But finally, after the shame Brawl put on Link, he's back in Smash 4 better than ever (and can finally fight with his sword again)! So I guess for me, It's not a matter of finding a main - that will certainly always be Link whether I like it or not.

Loyalty to your favorite character, winning or losing, proves to be a much stronger feeling than picking up a Zero Suit Samus and spamming that pistol in order to win.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I noticed the Rosalinas got a nifty little 'social' tag on their general discussion. @ Elessar Elessar can I get one of those on this thread?

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yea, it got a social tag :awesome: now I don't have to write social in the title and have more room to quote obscure Zelda lore :pimp:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
My smash history will have to be missing a few important details for reasons I won't be going into other than saying that it is highly convenient for me that they remain unknown XD. I'll keep it short unlike everyone else.
My first experience with smash was at a friend's house the day after smash 64 was released. I became instantly addicted. I only recognised half of the cast so Link was one of the first characters I tried. I ended up coming back to my mate's house almost every day so we could play more smash, and this must have continued for the next 2 years or so. By this stage we were both really good by non-tournament standards even though we had no idea what L-cancelling was XD. We just knew the game inside and out. I used Fox most of the time because of his ability to safely pressure shields and keep the pressure on if the opponent rolled, his ability to bait and punish, and his high priority aerials. In an environment where L-cancelling wasn't a thing, these were super important attributes as you couldn't just run headlong in.
During this time we had built a cabin in the bush using fence palings, our dad's tools, some large wood beams we 'found' at a construction site, the corrugated iron from my old shed, and a whole lot of spare time. The cabin was complete with a water-proof roof, couches, electricity (we had a long extension cord running underground through a pipe), a fridge, a tv, and of course the N64. I must have (almost) literally played smash 64 every day from that point right up until Brawl came out (and even that did not stop me entirely).
I never played melee when I was younger. None of my friends got a gamecube and there was no way my parents could afford one. When the wii was announced, before it came out, I was old enough to plan ahead and I saved up my pocket money for years XD. I was super hyped for Brawl's release. I had been playing smash 64 to death by that stage. When it finally came out, I was a bit confused why certain things weren't working (no hitstun) but there was no way I'd let that stop me from making the most of it. Fox wasn't working for me like he used to, but there were so many new characters; there had to be some that worked for me in this new game.
As a means of getting an edge over my mates, I searched online for tricks etc and found smashboards. A year later someone from the Aus community (Luke) found me and invited me to a tourney where I got my Fox chaingrabbed to death by a pikachu and I never played Fox again.
The end.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I can relate to the end of this post. There's been countless times, and I mean countless times, where I've sat down in front of my TV, controller in hand, after a long line of painful losses wondering if I'm due for another main. I've even "switched" mains for a day trying to find a character I can enjoy using (which has always been Bowser since Melee believe it or not). But for some reason, every time I try to switch to a new main, I go back to Link. It's almost like I have to use him. I mained Ike in Brawl for a long time surprisingly. Back then, I guess I used to think a scrawny guy trying to swing around a heavy sword was as cool as it gets (kids, ya know?). But towards the end of Brawl's life span (and actually throughout PM as well), I shifted back to Link, no questions asked. Didn't even matter that he was like the third worst character in the game. But finally, after the shame Brawl put on Link, he's back in Smash 4 better than ever (and can finally fight with his sword again)! So I guess for me, It's not a matter of finding a main - that will certainly always be Link whether I like it or not.

Loyalty to your favorite character, winning or losing, proves to be a much stronger feeling than picking up a Zero Suit Samus and spamming that pistol in order to win.
Couldn't agree more. No character will ever fill Link's part in Smash, at least for me. It could be because I haven't really played many other games besides Zelda, so Link is really the only option. Even then, what about Ganon, Shiek and Zelda? They don't even come close to my top characters. I mean I still like Ganon but I've lost a lot of my interest in him as of late. When it comes to similar characters, Robin is first to come to mind. He is a sword whielder that has projectiles, but they're all energy based and he has that wierd limit on his tomes or whatever. I could pick him up, but other than the projectiles, he still plays nothing like Link and requires a lot of getting used to. Same with Tink, but I hate him anyways.

I could try to use other characters besides Link, but I always end up having trouble without him, so I often will end up picking Link again in some situation. For example in FG; "Oh, you think you're good, scrub? Lemme show you my Link." *10 matches later, still using Link* Or "So, you think you can camp me? Let's see what my Link has to say about that." I'm always worrying about how comfortable I am when it comes to those close games or ones where I have trouble. So instead of just trying to improve and figure things out with that said secondary, I just whip out Link. I can't go 10 games without pulling out my Link and it's kinda stupid. Looks like I have a habit to conquer. :ohwell:

Rizen

Smash Legend
My smash history will have to be missing a few important details for reasons I won't be going into other than saying that it is highly convenient for me that they remain unknown XD. I'll keep it short unlike everyone else.
Aw, I see what's going on here :smirk:

You were maining Fox!
:joyful:

Thanks for the social tag btw.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Thanks for the social tag btw.
That's weird. I added the thread prefix 'social', and then I came back later and it had removed itself, so I added it again. And no this wasn't some other mod being a jerk or anything XD. There's no record in the mod log of anyone else tampering with it. If it disappears again I'll have to ask someone higher up. @Xiivi @Warchamp7

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
That's not what I meant...
Oh gods. I sorry for being mean to Ghirahim, man. I actually love the character, I would love to see him again as the main villian. I just what you said came off like that and I am kind of sick of people not being alright with 3 Link's but are ok with 3 Marth's, 3 Mario's (I know this one doesn't) and two pits.

Speaking of Link's, I have bad news guys. Link instead the only one how can do the infinite jab lock. While all characters can do the trick, only Link can do it "infinitely". And when I say Link, I mean both....

Yeah, Gay can do the technique as well.....

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh gods. I sorry for being mean to Ghirahim, man. I actually love the character, I would love to see him again as the main villian. I just what you said came off like that and I am kind of sick of people not being alright with 3 Link's but are ok with 3 Marth's, 3 Mario's (I know this one doesn't) and two pits.

Speaking of Link's, I have bad news guys. Link instead the only one how can do the infinite jab lock. While all characters can do the trick, only Link can do it "infinitely". And when I say Link, I mean both....

Yeah, Gay can do the technique as well.....
There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to begin. I'll have to re-quote you and edit inside the next quote.
I actually love Ghirahim, I would love to see him again as the main villian. It's just that what you said confused me and I'm kind of sick of people not being alright with 3 Link's and yet they are ok with 2 Marth's and an Ike, 3 Mario's if you include Luigi, and two Pits.

Speaking of Link's, I just found out about the Jab tech everyone has been talking about this whole time and I believe that Link is the only one who can Jab multiple times and in some cases Jab people until they are at KO percents, beyond which they will get out, and so there is no point in calling it an infinite or as some people have begun calling it, a 'semi-infinite', because really, what's half of infinity? It doesn't make sense. While all characters can Jab cancel and some can even get small strings on certain other characters, only Link seems to be the one that gets an real use out of it.
Take Gay for example. Gay's first Jab has set knockback unlike Link's first Jab, so it is pretty useless at this sort of thing.
Don't take this the wrong way. When I'm correcting people I can look like a prick, and that's probably a fair call, but I'm actually pretty nice and I kind of like having you hang around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom