• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Advanced Technique Guide

Pug

Smash Apprentice
Dat Fox up-smash.

Keep them out when they rush in for pressure with jabs, use lots of up tilt and go for jab-jab-grab, d-throw tech chase and grab again. When they get to ~80% bring in the SKRAAAA

Edit: I'm sorry, I thought I was in a match-up thread and we were discussing Fox and Falco. :s

Last edited:

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Dat Fox up-smash.

Keep them out when they rush in for pressure with jabs, use lots of up tilt and go for jab-jab-grab, d-throw tech chase and grab again. When they get to ~80% bring in the SKRAAAA

Edit: I'm sorry, I thought I was in a match-up thread and we were discussing Fox and Falco. :s
Well I'm having trouble with species as well so this info kinda helps, though with falco I can't use jabs to keep him out because of his laser approaches. While we're on the topic whats the best strategy when facing a Falco player who's seamlessly transferred from melee? Not just with Link but in general.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
get him offstage and gimp him. Try not to take too many lasers to the gut.

Lasers deflect bombs. <_> Don't get hit.

That's all I got.
Oh, and if you hit them you'd better do some damage. **** isn't easy to do so make the most of it.

Last edited:

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
get him offstage and gimp him. Try not to take too many lasers to the gut.

Lasers deflect bombs. <_> Don't get hit.

That's all I got.
-_- I know that but how am I not supposed to take lasers in the gut? Link's not exactly the most mobile character and once I get my shield up he closes in and pressures me until he gets a shield poke and proceeds to column combo me like it's his job. I've been practicing Up+B & Grab out of shield if that's going to help.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
MY LINK IS MOBILE!

No but seriously, that's the tragic song of the MU.
Don't shield grab unless he does something stupid punishable. It's not a good idea. Generally you only want to do a grab out of a hit confirm.
Up B OoS isn't really fast enough to get him off of you. Try buffering a roll is all I can say for that. Pick a stage with platforms so you have room to maneuver without him pewpewpewpewpewpewing you.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
MY LINK IS MOBILE!

No but seriously, that's the tragic song of the MU.
Don't shield grab unless he does something stupid punishable. It's not a good idea. Generally you only want to do a grab out of a hit confirm.
Up B OoS isn't really fast enough to get him off of you. Try buffering a roll is all I can say for that. Pick a stage with platforms so you have room to maneuver without him pewpewpewpewpewpewing you.
Maybe I should just use my sheik against him :p But thanks for the advice though!

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
It's not so much that link can't kill falco, it's just exceedingly hard to get through his defensive game, and harder to keep him away thanks to his high mobility. It's a difficult matchup, so you should play defensively. And like Empty stated, grabbing OoS is a death sentence. If he gives you even a sliver of an opening or he botched a move/combo/approach, then punish the hell out of him.

As for the lasers, abuse the hyrule shield, and if you need to get closer, WALK, don't run. Walking will make link keep his shield up.

Last edited:

Pug

Smash Apprentice
Stay away from stages without platforms. I move around a lot and send my boomerang down at him from platforms, leave bombs about, and try to frustrate him into approaching. Playing against a Falco that knows the Link match-up is an uphill battle.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Brother played a Falco in tournament.

Falco: It ok if we start on FD?
Brother: -shrugs- Sure.

We were all like NOOOO

Another time he took a Bowser to Warioware and I like had a panic attack. That didn't turn out well.

D

Deleted member

Brother played a Falco in tournament.

Falco: It ok if we start on FD?
Brother: -shrugs- Sure.

We were all like NOOOO

Another time he took a Bowser to Warioware and I like had a panic attack. That didn't turn out well.
I main giga bowser's down-b on warioware!

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Love the Falco matchup on FD. One hit = death combo for link.

Link loses the neutral game slightly (it's not terrible), but gets so much out of a single knockdown, and edgeguards so well that imo he wins the matchup.

This is one match that I definitely support boomerang use in. Fire back, gentlemen... Fire back.

D

Deleted member

When you guys are in neutral, do you just short hop zair or do you airdash a direction into zair? I mess up a lot of my zairs and usually land too early.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
When you guys are in neutral, do you just short hop zair or do you airdash a direction into zair? I mess up a lot of my zairs and usually land too early.
I prefer to horizontally airdodge for Zair. It's easier for me that way. You just need to get the timing right and pay attention to how far you are from the ground.

J3f

Smash Cadet
Airdodge -> Zair to set up spacing since only the tip of Zair has a hitbox. If you Zair too close it'll actually pass right through your opponent.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I don't air dodge because you can't space for the combo hit of the Zair. You usually have to adjust slightly based on the character you're fighting (taller doesn't require you to go as low) but I can generally hit Olimar with the second hit. That would probably be a good practice target. I think it's like right as I hit the apex of the jump.
This is so confusing for some reason...but its useful! Thanks
What's confusing? Thread or video? @_@

Toon link is 2cute!

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-6547-1774
I don't air dodge because you can't space for the combo hit of the Zair. You usually have to adjust slightly based on the character you're fighting (taller doesn't require you to go as low) but I can generally hit Olimar with the second hit. That would probably be a good practice target. I think it's like right as I hit the apex of the jump.

What's confusing? Thread or video? @_@
60% thread
20% video
20% i understand

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Well if you need clarification on anything in specific we can help with that.

Peco

Smash Rookie
Just wanted to say thanks for this helpful thread ! My link is very mobile and I can't wait to test these new tricks.

J3f

Smash Cadet
wtf. Link can flame cancel and nobody told me?

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Yep I use it to get off instant spin attacks when landing. Quick draw is also technically a Flame Cancel. It's necessary to flame cancel the spin attack to do a Bomb Spike.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Gotta practice the important ****. Like spin cancels, perfect moonwalks, and hylian bombs. Screw QuickDraw.

J3f

Smash Cadet
Well I'm off to practice my Bomb Arrows (Double hop, Bomb Drop, fast fall, Quick Draw) it does the same thing as as Top Serve (Double Hop, Bomb Drop, Fast fall, Jab) but is 10x as difficult. Gotta keep up my style.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
It is in P:M. Everything in the video is doable.

Flame cancelling is basically the same thing but with Bowser.

Last edited:

Toon link is 2cute!

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-6547-1774
Oh ok thanks for clearing that.
And is there like a thread for general discussion about link? Havent found one yet, but havent really looked

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
KDJ vs. Wolf. I really enjoyed learning from this set, especially because it showcased 3 of my mains. I need to utilize Link's recovery the way Wolf does. Insanity. Link is the best.
:4link::4link::4link::4link::4link:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
So I'm coming up with random ways to practice tech skill with Link.

Wavedashing: Pull out a bomb and try to WD 11 times before it explodes. (12 is possible but just barely)
B-reverse: stand in the middle of the stage and B reverse Rang back and forth over and over.
Bomb plant: SH bomb plant - waveland to pick it back up - repeat the process until you go across the stage.
Spin cancel: Dash - spin cancel - waveland - dash dance away and back - spin cancel - repeat

and so on.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Whelp this just in from frame date testing.
Link's Boomerang hits frame 21 at point blank. It was 27 in v2.5.
Dsmash is frame 7.
Nair is frame 4.
Usmash hits someone directly above him on frame 13.
Bair is frame 6 or 7 idr
Jab is frame 6 (Fun fact: Fox Usmash speed)
Up B was like 8.
Bomb pulls take 40 frames to complete. Bomb throws take 7 for the bomb to leave his hand.

I wish someone would update the frame data thread.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Any chance you know what frame usmash hits in front at the earliest?

I'd also be curious about the first hit of fsmash...

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I can find out later tonight. Fsmash is like 17-19 or something iirc.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I was way off. Fsmash is 14 at point blank. 16 at max range. Usmash is 10 in the front.

Top Bottom