• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Advanced Technique Guide

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You said z-drop your bomb.
You know you can pull bomb > AGT > up-b after getting hit, right?
AGT doesn't take up your jump, and you do not need a jump to hit your bomb with an up-b.

cFive

Smash Apprentice
ehm i wanna clear something up first, i kinda forgot or wasnt aware that link could actually hit the bomb without using his jump...
i tried this out and.. AGT (upwards) + up b rly does hit the bomb, but i cant get it to explode, i just knock it away...

so if what nick says is true and AGT + up-b is enough to hit (AND get hit by) the bomb my trick is probabbly irrelevant anyways :/
would be my bad then^^

e: aight I kinda got it now, so my strat sux apparently, now that i know you dont have to use the jump to recover with the bomb :D
found out another thing some maybe dont know: the bomb doesnt explode if your up-b is stale -> training mod works almost every time!

Last edited:

Pug

Smash Apprentice
Ahhhh. Your technique makes a lot more sense now.

Yeah I'm not sure what the exact numbers are for staleness on the Up-B and whether it destroys bombs. If you use Up-B do you have to use 10 other moves before you can use it to bomb jump?

cFive

Smash Apprentice
yeah the only advantage my trick would maybe have is that you can actually hit the bomb 2 times if you do it right, and if your up-b is stale that might save your life (didnt think of that before)

cFive

Smash Apprentice
yeah i think its not very often the case, therefore the "old" strat is probabbly better.. even tho i couldnt get used to it yet, i fail alot, if its not getting better i might go back to mine xD

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
If you fail at something a lot I only see that as more of an incentive to keep trying it. The more you try it the closer you get to mastery.

cFive

Smash Apprentice
I tested it a bit and found out some information some of you might find interesting:
1. How many hits the bomb needs to explode is entirely depending on the dmg/staleness of the up-b and has nothing to do with the staleness of the bomb itself.
2. Links up-b gets stale by hitting his own bomb.
3. Grounded up-b does also stale the aired up-b and vice versa.

Conclusion: Use your up-b wisely!

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I feel like Up-B staling shouldn't be a common issue unless you're getting your ass beat offstage. Not like you're using up B for an actual attack that often.

D

Deleted member

I feel like Up-B staling shouldn't be a common issue unless you're getting your *** beat offstage. Not like you're using up B for an actual attack that often.
your skill level is showing

real men aerial up b for kills all the time

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Gah you're right.. How foolish of me. I'm just not as good as you, sensei. /crawlinginmyskin

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
But it's not going to get stale from that.
Yes it will, up-b goes into the move queue. It doesn't recognize the difference between grounded and aerial up-b.
Pretty sure it's something like 2-3 stale, and that's pretty easy to get.

D

Deleted member

not that this has anything to do with staling or technical play but up b oos is likely not very good vs tight pressure anyway vs more experienced opponents who will play around link using it. it might be a decent time to start looking at up b oos as a risky over-extension and to start experimenting with respect block > wd oos away to reset to neutral rather than trying to convert from positional disadvantage

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Yes it will, up-b goes into the move queue. It doesn't recognize the difference between grounded and aerial up-b.
Pretty sure it's something like 2-3 stale, and that's pretty easy to get.
You're not going to be landing grounded up B over and over and over again in a row. It won't get stale from that. It will contribute to potentially getting stale, but shouldn't outright stale it itself because there should be other moves inbetween.

And Up-B OoS is more of a punishment for your opponent ****ing up rather than an anti-pressure option. It's indeed far too risky to just throw out. You'll get yourself killed.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
All he knows how to do is swing his MFMS around and kill people with Lunk.

Or needle.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You're not going to be landing grounded up B over and over and over again in a row. It won't get stale from that. It will contribute to potentially getting stale, but shouldn't outright stale it itself because there should be other moves inbetween.

And Up-B OoS is more of a punishment for your opponent ****ing up rather than an anti-pressure option. It's indeed far too risky to just throw out. You'll get yourself killed.
This is incorrect. Staling works in a queue, using up-b once moves it into that queue. If you hit with up-b on the stage you cannot bomb jump unless you hit with like 5-7 other moves first because it's stale.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Didn't think the onset of move damage alzheimers started that quickly but whatever. Mea culpa or w/e the ****.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I don't mean to bother, but are there any fellow wifi warriors here who could help me sharpen up my skills? If not, can you direct me somewhere I can find someone? The places I go to are pretty dead as of now. I'm just really damn bored. :\

Last edited:

cFive

Smash Apprentice
isnt the queue 10 moves long (in that case you would need 9 moves for it to be completely unstale again)?
at least that was what i heared in brawl, could be wrong tho..

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I don't mean to bother, but are there any fellow wifi warriors here who could help me sharpen up my skills? If not, can you direct me somewhere I can find someone? The places I go to are pretty dead as of now. I'm just really damn bored. :\
Should have caught me 5 years ago ):

I can't stand wifi now <_>

Goobgoyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
RWolffe
3DS FC
3394-3566-2944
This is probably just me being bad at this game, but whenever I get knocked offstage and try to pull out a bomb, I almost always fast fall to my doom. If I don't, I always miss hitting the bomb.

How do you guys prevent this from happening?

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
This is probably just me being bad at this game, but whenever I get knocked offstage and try to pull out a bomb, I almost always fast fall to my doom. If I don't, I always miss hitting the bomb.

How do you guys prevent this from happening?
Hold down while still in tumble. Double jump first and hold down before the apex. Press down more lightly. Don't get hit. /jk

J3f

Smash Cadet
Finally made a video of my new techniques. Bomb Serving: The Bomb Spike, Top Spin, and Bomb Arrows.

Bomb Spike:
Spin attack launched bombs, requires a throw or platform drop.

Top Spin: Bomb Plant using jab.

Bomb Arrows: Bombs launched or planted with an uncharged arrow.

also I'm not entirely sure what I did at the end to get that falling Spin Attack off of the platform.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Anybody else use Haxdashing in their play? It may just play a more crucial role in refreshing invincible frames and mindgames in 3.5, since tethering will be nerfed. (falling and regrabbing the ledge too)

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
It's really difficult for me to input that consistently, mostly because I always fly back past the ledge. Derp practice derp.

It'll be in my 3.5 version of this video though.

Last edited:

Portapus

Smash Rookie
Is dash dancing with Link all that useful? I've been trying it out for a few months and it just looks sad when he dash dances...or that could be just me sucking at it lol

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I use it all the time. I utilize all of his movement options outside of moonwalking.
You can't use it in the same manner that you would with like Marth or something. DD camping isn't a thing, but swiftly switching position is very useful for a character with good disjoints that benefits from a zoning playstyle.

Portapus

Smash Rookie
Yeah I use it all the time, but I was trying to camp with it to see what would happen. I know three people that are pretty good that play fox, marth, and dr. mario..all of which don't care for my mind gams lol

Portapus

Smash Rookie
I know this is a random question, but does anyone know the frame data for up-b out of shield? Does it come out faster than normal attack?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I know this is a random question, but does anyone know the frame data for up-b out of shield? Does it come out faster than normal attack?
It comes out on frame 12 IIRC.

Top Bottom