• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Advanced Technique Guide

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999

Made it just for you guys. Inb4complaints.

Some of it is just general stuff for newer players. There's nothing too special, but I wanted to make it anyway. Enjoy.

Things I forgot:
QDA (Quick Dash Attack): This is the quickest way to do a dash attack from standing. Generally if you try to dash and immediately press A, you get an Fsmash. With this, you dash and immediately hit down on your C-stick. This allows you to input a dash attack much sooner than if you use A. This is good for DACUS as well.
--
SHAG (Short Hop Aerial Glide Toss): This is a branch from AGT. You short hop with a bomb in hand and immediately AGT either left or right. The result is a bomb throw close to the ground with a significant shift in your positioning.
--
Boomerang Bomb Bounce: If you throw a bomb into a returning boomerang, it bounces up. How you can utilize this is up to you to determine and figure out.
--
Tumble Cancel: Also called wiggling out of tumble iirc. You mash back and forth on the control stick to get out of tumble faster. Useful because you can't air dodge, among other things, when you're in tumble.
--
RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush): During your run animation if you input the opposite direction your character enters a turning around animation. During this, if you input a jump you will enter the air backwards. This can be used for a quick WD edge hog or to Bair the direction you're running in.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
lol "empty combo"? Thought that was just the Link combo. Good stuff though.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
lol "empty combo"? Thought that was just the Link combo. Good stuff though.
It's an inside joke amongst my group so I put it in there for some laughs. They say it's the patented Empty Sky combo in jest. That's why I put that part "Even though all good Links use it" to avoid any assumptions that I'm claiming I actually created it or it's exclusive to me or something.

And thanks.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
@6:53- There is a much easier way to do that. Just jump cancel back throw the bomb.
I never even thought to jump cancel a bomb throw. Though I think shielding is still relatively simple. But that's another alternative. Thank you, I'll play around with that option.

D

Deleted member

JC bomb throws are amazing. they're really good for whiff punishing while running away or for catching your opponent out of your dash dances

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Yep. That tech has been around since Brawl. But now that I think about it, almost all of Link's techs are Brawl-based.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Does the JC beforehand retain some of its momentum with the throw? I guess it would be infinitesimal if it did so that's probably irrelevant.

What other techniques did I miss because as I was making the list (During my grandparent's pastor's sermon no less. Means of ignoring.) I felt like i was forgetting something.

J3f

Smash Cadet
D-Throw to D-Air "Ending Blow"

For things you missed check out my post on SHAGing I might upload another video soon, I've gotten a lot better at doing it and Smash in General.

You can toss in forward/backward short hop bomb grabs as a quick tip too. It keeps link moving while he does the bomb grab animation, it helps a little against pressure characters.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
D-Throw to D-Air "Ending Blow"

For things you missed check out my post on SHAGing I might upload another video soon, I've gotten a lot better at doing it and Smash in General.

You can toss in forward/backward short hop bomb grabs as a quick tip too. It keeps link moving while he does the bomb grab animation, it helps a little against pressure characters.
Calling it "Ending Blow" isn't an inside joke though and as such is less funny. <_> And they have to be on the ground for it to be the true ending blow.
That's an extension of AGT correct? I saw the post before.

You didn't go over bomb jumping. :p
I did actually! On the part about AGT I think I mentioned it being used for recovery, then I went offstage at one point during the demonstration, AGT'd up, then hit myself with it to recover. I thought it to be common enough knowledge that I didn't have to waste everyone's time devoting a whole minute to it or something lol. And it's an extension of AGT.

edit: 8:43 is where it is :p

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I actually find bomb punting difficult. I don't really have the timing down, so instead I just plant bombs on platforms and punt them when I feel fit lol.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I find it mildly difficult because I usually have to sort of stop moving beforehand to do it and I have a very mobile playstyle. I can do it consistently though. It's a matter of doing it out of dash or a RAR jump.

Dott

Smash Ace
How do you cancel the ledge grab animation when you use the zair? i try but the second time i grab the ledge it doesn't work...

Could you tell me the imput buttons? (as you see, my english it's not really good).

J3f

Smash Cadet
Calling it "Ending Blow" isn't an inside joke though and as such is less funny. <_> And they have to be on the ground for it to be the true ending blow.
That's an extension of AGT correct? I saw the post before.

I did actually! On the part about AGT I think I mentioned it being used for recovery, then I went offstage at one point during the demonstration, AGT'd up, then hit myself with it to recover. I thought it to be common enough knowledge that I didn't have to waste everyone's time devoting a whole minute to it or something lol. And it's an extension of AGT.

edit: 8:43 is where it is :p
It's technically an "Aerial" Glide Toss. I don't have frame data, but it can be done once you leave the ground, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to do it the frame before you leave the ground. The timing is really tight and it's a lot different from just throwing out an AGT when you're in the air. A really good use for SHAGing is point blank bomb tosses and remaining mobile. One thing to note is that the bomb gets tossed during your landing lag, so you're free act the frame after the bomb toss, unlike when doing an AGT from a jump.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
How do you cancel the ledge grab animation when you use the zair? i try but the second time i grab the ledge it doesn't work...

Could you tell me the imput buttons? (as you see, my english it's not really good).
You don't cancel it, you wait a few frames. You can only act so fast once you grab the ledge. Try slowing down your inputs a little bit perhaps.

Fortress

Smash Master

Tap 'down' on the control stick when the z-air 'snags' the ledge and you'll cancel it.

Rags

Smash Ace
Hmm I was considering picking up Link, do you think I can still play him okay even with a wii-chuck?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Hmm I was considering picking up Link, do you think I can still play him okay even with a wii-chuck?
You'll need better controls if you want to play at a higher level. Especially with Link, who can be one of the most technical characters in the game. I actually use the Classic Controller pro, since all I own is a Wii U.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I definitely have to study this video soon. Thanks Empty!
Glad to have helped.
Depending on your style/fluency with your controller, it could be possible. I generally consider the controller to be sub-optimal, but it's definitely possible to be competent while using it. Though I think you're making it harder on yourself and it wouldn't favor a high-input play style. I'd say link has a high technical ceiling, but a moderate technical requirement. You can be super technical with him, but it's not as necessary as it is for, say, Fox or Lucario or whatever.

Rags

Smash Ace
Glad to have helped.

Depending on your style/fluency with your controller, it could be possible. I generally consider the controller to be sub-optimal, but it's definitely possible to be competent while using it. Though I think you're making it harder on yourself and it wouldn't favor a high-input play style. I'd say link has a high technical ceiling, but a moderate technical requirement. You can be super technical with him, but it's not as necessary as it is for, say, Fox or Lucario or whatever.
Yeah, sadly I don't have a wii witht he option to use a gamecube controller, but the few times I could play, I really preferred the Gamecube controller. The pro controller is okay too, but feels wierd...

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Yeah, sadly I don't have a wii witht he option to use a gamecube controller, but the few times I could play, I really preferred the Gamecube controller. The pro controller is okay too, but feels wierd...
The wii with removed backwards compatability really pisses me off. So much empathy. At LEAST keep the damn controller option. I don't even use the Wiimote EVER. If they didn't shackle me to the damn thing by forcing me to use it to boot up a damn game the thing would be rotting in a landfill. So many bad design decisions. It burns me greatly.

Unless you mean wii u. In which case that's another rant.

Last edited:

Rags

Smash Ace
Well Nintendo themselves are making GameCube adapters for the Wii U, so there's that.
My question is why did it take so long to make? I'm just glad they're backing the company that makes 3rd party GC controllers also. May buy a few more

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Well Nintendo themselves are making GameCube adapters for the Wii U, so there's that.
But at the same time they took it away from later versions of the wii, then just didn't add it originally for Wii U, which suggests that they're staffed by unbelievable twits. Idk I still factor in the original mistake as being blisteringly stupid regardless of later attempts to fix it by squeezing more money out of us. They need to quit with the gimmicks.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
But at the same time they took it away from later versions of the wii, then just didn't add it originally for Wii U, which suggests that they're staffed by unbelievable twits. Idk I still factor in the original mistake as being blisteringly stupid regardless of later attempts to fix it by squeezing more money out of us. They need to quit with the gimmicks.
Eh, I don't blame them. I mean, did you really expect for them to stick with the GC controller for well over a decade? I didn't. Good thing they are though.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Eh, I don't blame them. I mean, did you really expect for them to stick with the GC controller for well over a decade? I didn't. Good thing they are though.
I don't see why not. Innovation for innovation's sake is usually pointless. Playstation has been using a relatively similar controller since PS1. Just added analog sticks and some other stuff along the way, but it's still the same basic structure lol. I don't see what's wrong with sticking with a controller design. I think Nintendo is the only one who thinks it intelligent to change controller schemes every system. N64 --> GC --> Wiimote --> Pro/Ipad of Fiery Death
I just think they should keep consistency and not try to choose gimmicks over something that we generally actually like to use.

Rags

Smash Ace
The 64 controller, in its defense was good. It was made with duality in mind because at the moment we were kinda between using mainly D-pads and the 64 had to balance out the fact that devs were still getting used to making games with the joystick as a form of control. Course, the wiimote... IDK.

...It's great for megaman! :pimp:

Fortress

Smash Master
The 64 controller, in its defense was good. It was made with duality in mind because at the moment we were kinda between using mainly D-pads and the 64 had to balance out the fact that devs were still getting used to making games with the joystick as a form of control. Course, the wiimote... IDK.

Until you use it for eight minutes and the poor analogue stick decides it's had enough of your **** and stops being as responsive.

Rags

Smash Ace
haha I never had that issue. I do remember playing SSB 64 and getting a blister on my thumb, though.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Agreed. If Nintendo stuck with the same basic GC design, I wonder what the Wii U's version would look like. But yeah, Ninty is Ninty and they're known to be very stubborn.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I don't get why. Feels like they just alienate their consumers by doing that.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice

To be honest it wasn't that great. It was very hollow and constructed from very thin less than durable plastic. It's quite bulky and awkward and the joysticks design caused detrimental levels of wear and tear on the springs, often wearing out after a year of solid play. The GC controller on the other hand wouldn't exist without the initial design scheme of the N64 controller, as it's a more refined version of the N64 controller with the addition of the X and Y keys, so we do owe it that much at least. (A hybrid N64/SNES controller in a sense).

Honestly the GC controller has to be one of the most solid pads Nintendo has manufactured to date, and still had many uses on the wii even after gamecube hardware was discontinued.

Back on topic: good video displaying a lot of good techniques in link's arsenal, as well as displaying some rather flashy moves as well. Quick question though: is the bomb punt even practical? I know it looks flashy as all hell, but it's a bit difficult to pull off. Are there any practical applications of this technique that can't be applied by other moves in links move set, or is it mostly for show? Is it worth learning to be consistent with this?

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
To be honest it wasn't that great. It was very hollow and constructed from very thin less than durable plastic. It's quite bulky and awkward and the joysticks design caused detrimental levels of wear and tear on the springs, often wearing out after a year of solid play. The GC controller on the other hand wouldn't exist without the initial design scheme of the N64 controller, as it's a more refined version of the N64 controller with the addition of the X and Y keys, so we do owe it that much at least. (A hybrid N64/SNES controller in a sense).

Honestly the GC controller has to be one of the most solid pads Nintendo has manufactured to date, and still had many uses on the wii even after gamecube hardware was discontinued.

Back on topic: good video displaying a lot of good techniques in link's arsenal, as well as displaying some rather flashy moves as well. Quick question though: is the bomb punt even practical? I know it looks flashy as all hell, but it's a bit difficult to pull off. Are there any practical applications of this technique that can't be applied by other moves in links move set, or is it mostly for show? Is it worth learning to be consistent with this?

In my opinion, I think it's worth learning. But it all depends on what you want from a technique. If you want a technique that expands options and does something more concrete, then no probably not. But you would really be surprised at how much that angle throws people off. Also, the higher arc and slower movement means it covers more of the stage longer and cuts off more options than just throwing it at them. It's not unreasonably difficult to learn, but it can be tricky. I think if you can learn it, you should. If it proves troublesome to do so, then just let it go and maybe come back to it later. I personally don't use it very often if only because I always forget it exists. It seems there's a technique capacity in my head at any given time where I only have so much of this in my arsenal at once and the rest I forget lol. Sometimes I don't even remember DAC and that's my favorite one to use <_> Another issue with this technique for me is setting it up. Like I mentioned before you have to be mildly static in your movement for a moment to use it and your opponent can't be in your face obviously. So there's that.

Last edited:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, I think it's worth learning. But it all depends on what you want from a technique. If you want a technique that expands options and does something more concrete, then no probably not. But you would really be surprised at how much that angle throws people off. Also, the higher arc and slower movement means it covers more of the stage longer and cuts off more options than just throwing it at them. It's not unreasonably difficult to learn, but it can be tricky. I think if you can learn it, you should. If it proves troublesome to do so, then just let it go and maybe come back to it later. I personally don't use it very often if only because I always forget it exists. It seems there's a technique capacity in my head at any given time where I only have so much of this in my arsenal at once and the rest I forget lol. Sometimes I don't even remember DAC and that's my favorite one to use <_> Another issue with this technique for me is setting it up. Like I mentioned before you have to be mildly static in your movement for a moment to use it and your opponent can't be in your face obviously. So there's that.
Thanks for clarifying. I'll look into it.

Pug

Smash Apprentice
I'd say it's well worth learning.

Its slower speed is what gives it utility. You have time to get to the opponent almost at the same time as the bomb. If they shield it, the bomb bounces back toward you and you can jump up, grab it and AGT down and away while throwing the bomb at them again.

You develop a pretty good feel for when to use it before long. Also a lot of players I've encountered sometimes freak out a bit when they see the angle and lose momentum long enough for you to take back the initiative.

Now, the double and triple bomb punts on the other hand... I haven't ever seen someone do them and they take a lot of time to set up. I'm not even sure what they're used for besides edge-guarding. If they're used at all and aren't just a Link myth.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
**** man, I still have my 2 N64 controllers, that are over 18 years old at least (probably in the 20 region lol), and they both still work fine. So does my N64 console lol. Nintendo may do stupid things at times, but they know how to make things last, except for the DSi lol.

Top Bottom