• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Advanced Technique Guide

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
In my opinion, I think it's worth learning. But it all depends on what you want from a technique. If you want a technique that expands options and does something more concrete, then no probably not. But you would really be surprised at how much that angle throws people off. Also, the higher arc and slower movement means it covers more of the stage longer and cuts off more options than just throwing it at them. It's not unreasonably difficult to learn, but it can be tricky. I think if you can learn it, you should. If it proves troublesome to do so, then just let it go and maybe come back to it later. I personally don't use it very often if only because I always forget it exists. It seems there's a technique capacity in my head at any given time where I only have so much of this in my arsenal at once and the rest I forget lol. Sometimes I don't even remember DAC and that's my favorite one to use <_> Another issue with this technique for me is setting it up. Like I mentioned before you have to be mildly static in your movement for a moment to use it and your opponent can't be in your face obviously. So there's that.
In all honesty, I don't have an all that mobile style of play and generally have a more tactical, in control one (Look at Lazarond, for an example. I'm only a little bit more offensive than he is). Yet I still have trouble bomb punting. Could it be the fact that I use the CCP? I've played with it for so long, it actually feels weird using the GC controller again lol. And I generally find just z dropping bombs kind of confusing to your opponent because they normally don't expect it either. Especially if you're right over them, so they don't have much time to react.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
In all honesty, I don't have an all that mobile style of play and generally have a more tactical, in control one (Look at Lazarond, for an example. I'm only a little bit more offensive than he is). Yet I still have trouble bomb punting. Could it be the fact that I use the CCP? I've played with it for so long, it actually feels weird using the GC controller again lol. And I generally find just z dropping bombs kind of confusing to your opponent because they normally don't expect it either. Especially if you're right over them, so they don't have much time to react.
What's your method for doing bomb punting if I might ask? Do you just have trouble figuring it out or are you having issues doing it consistently?

Ya I like Lazarond. His Link is completely opposite mine. I'm ultimate aggro-pressure. So much so that I've been told I make Link look like Falcon a few times. I like the defensive tactical side of the character too. /I was just watching him so that's why I'm going off on this digression since you mentioned him

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
What's your method for doing bomb punting if I might ask? Do you just have trouble figuring it out or are you having issues doing it consistently?

Ya I like Lazarond. His Link is completely opposite mine. I'm ultimate aggro-pressure. So much so that I've been told I make Link look like Falcon a few times. I like the defensive tactical side of the character too. /I was just watching him so that's why I'm going off on this digression since you mentioned him
Normally, I plant bombs on platforms and punt them before they explode (of course, if there are any). As for how I have trouble doing traditional bomb punts, I just can't get the timing right. Most of the time I full hop instead of short hop and other times I don't lean my short hop back enough and just blow myself up.

But if I had to say who my favorite PM Link main was, it would be SSj4 Ricky. Judging by how you describe your playstyle, I'm guessing you two play similarly. But yeah, this dude goes insanely offensive with Link. He's very exciting to watch imo.
This is of course where Ricky's Link shines the brightest, even though he lost this one. Too bad there isn't much else to show on him.

Speaking of great Link players, I wonder if Germ plays PM, since I heard he's still in business after all these years. That would be nothing short of amazing.

Last edited:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
Normally, I plant bombs on platforms and punt them before they explode (of course, if there are any). As for how I have trouble doing traditional bomb punts, I just can't get the timing right. Most of the time I full hop instead of short hop and other times I don't lean my short hop back enough and just blow myself up. But if I had to say who my favorite PM Link main was, it would be SSj4 Ricky. Judging by how you describe your playstyle, I'm guessing you two play similarly. But yeah, this dude goes insanely offensive with Link. He's very exciting to watch imo.

Speaking of great Link players, I wonder if Germ plays PM, since I heard he's still in business after all these years. That would be nothing short of amazing.
SSJ4 Ricky is insane. I get chills watching him play. Other than link being my favorite Nintendo character, Ricky is half the reason I picked up link in PM. I still use Fox/Falco constantly though, given that they're my melee mains.

Hylian is pretty awesome too. He's got some videos playing link on PM in this subform. What's really weird is how easy Hylian makes bomb punting look. It's crazy.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
SSJ4 Ricky is insane. I get chills watching him play. Other than link being my favorite Nintendo character, Ricky is half the reason I picked up link in PM. I still use Fox/Falco constantly though, given that they're my melee mains.

Hylian is pretty awesome too. He's got some videos playing link on PM in this subform. What's really weird is how easy Hylian makes bomb punting look. It's crazy.
True. I can't even AGT as well as most people. That double AGT is way too tricky for me to pull off as of now. I really need to step up my game lol.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Normally, I plant bombs on platforms and punt them before they explode (of course, if there are any). As for how I have trouble doing traditional bomb punts, I just can't get the timing right. Most of the time I full hop instead of short hop and other times I don't lean my short hop back enough and just blow myself up.

But if I had to say who my favorite PM Link main was, it would be SSj4 Ricky. Judging by how you describe your playstyle, I'm guessing you two play similarly. But yeah, this dude goes insanely offensive with Link. He's very exciting to watch imo.
This is of course where Ricky's Link shines the brightest, even though he lost this one. Too bad there isn't much else to show on him.

Lmao I just watched that like an hour or so ago.

He does indeed play very similar to me except I use more movement.

I like a few Links. Hylian is probably my favorite. Lazarond I like because of his playstyle. SSJ4 made a fan out of me today when I saw that.

My least favorite is JCaesar though. But don't tell him I said that. #hedoesn'tgiveadamn

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
True. I can't even AGT as well as most people. That double AGT is way too tricky for me to pull off as of now. I really need to step up my game lol.
Little tip: press up before attempting the air dodge, then right after air dodging, chuck the bomb in the desired direction with the c stick. Focus on being consistent with AGT, then work toward the double if you feel the need.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Lmao I just watched that like an hour or so ago.

He does indeed play very similar to me except I use more movement.

I like a few Links. Hylian is probably my favorite. Lazarond I like because of his playstyle. SSJ4 made a fan out of me today when I saw that.

My least favorite is JCaesar though. But don't tell him I said that. #hedoesn'tgiveadamn
Hylian is my 2nd favorite ever since I saw SSj Ricky, making Lazarond my 3rd. And I'm with you on JCaesar, so you're secret safe with me lol.

Little tip: press up before attempting the air dodge, then right after air dodging, chuck the bomb in the desired direction with the c stick. Focus on being consistent with AGT, then work toward the double if you feel the need.
Thanks. I'll definitely look into it. I'm currently best at up throw AGT atm, which is the most important form of AGT when it comes to recovery I assume.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Hylian is my 2nd favorite ever since I saw SSj Ricky, making Lazarond my 3rd. And I'm with you on JCaesar, so you're secret safe with me lol.

Thanks. I'll definitely look into it. I'm currently best at up throw AGT atm, which is the most important form of AGT when it comes to recovery I assume.
Rewatching that match, I'm actually MORE aggressive than Ricky I think (if you can believe that) @_@

That's why I like Hylian and Ricky though. They play a similar style but Hylian just does the smoothest **** and I wish I could be as chill as his Link lol. It's just really simple things like the way he places attacks and the subtleties of how he applies them makes me envious. I wish he played Link more. Eff Lucario. Ricky just went at Rat hard like I would have so I liked him for that too.

I plan on being far better than both of them at some point though <_<
>_>

Last edited:

Pug

Smash Apprentice
Bomb punting is really about doing one thing at a time with good timing.

1) Short hop
2) Z-drop (at peak of jump)
3) Pull back on the control stick
4) Zair

Just drill that until you get a feeling for the timing. Soon it'll be muscle memory. Special thanks to @Hylian for helping me master it!

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Rewatching that match, I'm actually MORE aggressive than Ricky I think (if you can believe that) @_@

That's why I like Hylian and Ricky though. They play a similar style but Hylian just does the smoothest **** and I wish I could be as chill as his Link lol. It's just really simple things like the way he places attacks and the subtleties of how he applies them makes me envious. I wish he played Link more. Eff Lucario. Ricky just went at Rat hard like I would have so I liked him for that too.

I plan on being far better than both of them at some point though <_<
>_>
Whoa those are some high set goals bro lol. My goal is to be as good as them, but if it turns out I'm even better, that would be a pleasant bonus. I also plan on entering the scene soon. I wish I could just be done with school so I can focus more on that (I'm actually 16 btw, but don't underestimate me because of my age. Wizzrobe is an example.)

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Whoa those are some high set goals bro lol. My goal is to be as good as them, but if it turns out I'm even better, that would be a pleasant bonus.
It's seriously within my reach at the moment. All I need is more experience and I seriously will be able to accomplish this. I have someone enlisted to coach me at the moment. He's ****ing incredible at this game.

The thing I realized about this goal, is that those that I wish to surpass are human as well. Ordinary people. They're not blessed with some unnatural circumstance or advantage, they're just devoted enough to be really good at this game and they worked hard to achieve their skills. There's no reason at all why I or anyone else cannot surpass them. The goal isn't insurmountable at all. It's just having the time/help to achieve it.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It's seriously within my reach at the moment. All I need is more experience and I seriously will be able to accomplish this. I have someone enlisted to coach me at the moment. He's ****ing incredible at this game.

The thing I realized about this goal, is that those that I wish to surpass are human as well. Ordinary people. They're not blessed with some unnatural circumstance or advantage, they're just devoted enough to be really good at this game and they worked hard to achieve their skills. There's no reason at all why I or anyone else cannot surpass them. The goal isn't insurmountable at all. It's just having the time/help to achieve it.
Agreed. Keep on chuggin'. Hopefully I can catch up someday. *Edit- Scratch that. I WILL catch up someday. :)

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It turns out I was just doing it wrong. I was using the right trigger instead of the left, witch made it awkward for some odd reason. Now I use the left, and I can do it just fine now. I'm on the verge of learning how to double AGT now, actually. :)

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
It turns out I was just doing it wrong. I was using the right trigger instead of the left, witch made it awkward for some odd reason. Now I use the left, and I can do it just fine now. I'm on the verge of learning how to double AGT now, actually. :)
Great job, I'm glad you figured out what works best for your preferences. Most players use the left trigger for stuff like L canceling, wavedashing etc as it is since it's generally less awkward for most players. Keep at it!

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999

This is generally how I play. But a bit better usually @_@ It was a mildly off day iirc. And it was some time ago (A few months) so I've improved since then.

It was a pseudo money match. We were playing to see who would buy whom a soda at the vending machine lol.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015

This is generally how I play. But a bit better usually @_@ It was a mildly off day iirc.

It was a pseudo money match. We were playing to see who would buy whom a soda at the vending machine lol.
I actually just finished watching that vid lol. You have a very solid Link. You're right about how aggressive your play style is. Your Link looks to be about the same level as mine, only better. Keep it up dude. *Edit- Too bad I don't have much to show. The only thing I've got is an old online replay from 2.6b, and I was a total noob back then. :p But yeah, I don't really have anyone to play around here, so I mainly practice on my own to keep from getting rusty. Hopefully that changes when I transfer high schools.
Great job, I'm glad you figured out what works best for your preferences. Most players use the left trigger for stuff like L canceling, wavedashing etc as it is since it's generally less awkward for most players. Keep at it!
Thanks. I definitely will. :3

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I need to tighten up the screws a bit and learn to manipulate position and stage control more.
I've also an issue dealing with pressure sometimes.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice

This is generally how I play. But a bit better usually @_@ It was a mildly off day iirc. And it was some time ago (A few months) so I've improved since then.

Diggin' it. Great ground movement, but you got pretty flashy in patches throughout the fight. Or, were you intending on styling on your opponent? Also, don't fret about comboing/pressuring too much on floaters like olimar, as they're generally harder to keep in a loop due to their weight. Space and stage control is more important against floaties, so stick to that.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I generally intend to style on my opponent. I was just screwing it up a little bit that day.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Movement is actually my main concern right now. I tend to just stand there a lot, thinking about what to do next lol. When it comes to pressure, I think I do ok. Wavedash out of shield is usually a good option for me. My stage control is alright too, but it definitely has its flaws and needs work.

Any suggestions on how to improve movement?

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Movement is actually my main concern right now. I tend to just stand there a lot, thinking about what to do next lol. When it comes to pressure, I think I do ok. Wavedash out of shield is usually a good option for me. My stage control is alright too, but it definitely has its flaws and needs work.

Any suggestions on how to improve movement?
Well I generally utilize wavelands and dash dancing a lot. Try doing those to keep mobile during down time perhaps. Just don't get punished for them obviously. Those are the least situational movement options you have. Another good one is B Reverse Boomerang (Which I've recently taken a liking to despite always getting the damn arrow instead of the rang for some reason)
My goal with my Link is to remain mobile at all times. If your playstyle doesn't favor it though, then there's really no need to take it to the borderline extreme that I do. Also if you're standing there at any point and you're not in danger of being hit, pulling out a bomb is a good action to take usually. The motto for Link in Brawl was to have a bomb in hand at all times. You can throw Rang and AGT and bomb throw (obviously) while you have it so it expands mid range options. And if you're just standing there you probably aren't in a close range situation so...

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Well I generally utilize wavelands and dash dancing a lot. Try doing those to keep mobile during down time perhaps. Just don't get punished for them obviously. Those are the least situational movement options you have. Another good one is B Reverse Boomerang (Which I've recently taken a liking to despite always getting the damn arrow instead of the rang for some reason)
My goal with my Link is to remain mobile at all times. If your playstyle doesn't favor it though, then there's really no need to take it to the borderline extreme that I do. Also if you're standing there at any point and you're not in danger of being hit, pulling out a bomb is a good action to take usually. The motto for Link in Brawl was to have a bomb in hand at all times. You can throw Rang and AGT and bomb throw (obviously) while you have it so it expands mid range options. And if you're just standing there you probably aren't in a close range situation so...
I need to work on my dash dance since I don't know what to do out of it, especially when my foe is at mid/close range other than wd/shield. I waveland all the time, so no problem there. I'll keep everything else in mind. Being mobile is actually a pretty big part of my play style, and I actually walk up to my opponent nonchalantly for mind games every now and then. I chuckle sometimes whenever I can pull it off lol. And a lot of my skill is carried over from Brawl. I guess some of Brawl's defensiveness kinda stuck around in my playstyle.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Dash dancing is meant to help you control a larger portion of the stage. It effectively extends the danger zone for the opponent while making you harder to approach. Link's Dash Dance isn't super amazing, but it can function for the same purpose. I generally do aerials, dash attacks, wavedashes, or retreating projectile jumps out of it.

I started out in Brawl. My playstyle was originally inspired by Izaw which is why I try to be flashy/aggro. I always tried to play Brawl like I actually had offensive options because of how I integrated Izaw's Link style into my own lol. So I guess that's why I was a bad player.

Last edited:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
Dash dancing is meant to help you control a larger portion of the stage. It effectively extends the danger zone for the opponent while making you harder to approach. Link's Dash Dance isn't super amazing, but it can function for the same purpose. I generally do aerials, dash attacks, wavedashes, or retreating projectile jumps out of it.

I started out in Brawl. My playstyle was originally inspired by Izaw which is why I try to be flashy/aggro. I always tried to play Brawl like I actually had offensive options because of how I integrated Izaw's Link style into my own lol. So I guess that's why I was a bad player.
It's also good to note that dash dancing (mostly with faster characters) is especially useful in baiting out attacks from your opponent. A whiffed move is a window of opportunity to start severely punishing them for their rather simple mistake.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
It's also good to note that dash dancing (mostly with faster characters) is especially useful in baiting out attacks from your opponent. A whiffed move is a window of opportunity to start severely punishing them for their rather simple mistake.
Exactly. And that inherent risk is enough to make approaching you more difficult. Which is good with Link since you want to dictate the neutral game as much as possible.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015

Thanks for the input. A lot of times I try to do aerials out of dash dance to space my opponent, but jumping and dishing out retreating projectiles probably works just as well.

And yeah lol, it's best to develop your own effective play style rather than try to adopt someone else's, which in my experience is quite difficult. And Izaw was my hero in Brawl too lmao. I wonder why he stopped making videos.

As for using dash dancing to bait out opponents, I definitely agree. I remember doing it multiple times without even thinking about it.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Thanks for the input. A lot of times I try to do aerials out of dash dance to space my opponent, but jumping and dishing out retreating projectiles probably works just as well.

And yeah lol, it's best to develop your own effective play style rather than try to adopt someone else's, which in my experience is quite difficult. And Izaw was my hero in Brawl too lmao. I wonder why he stopped making videos.
Well I don't try to necessarily adopt others' playstyles, but I used his as sort of a template. I've only been to one tournament in my life aside from the college locals I started hosting last year, you see. The first 6 years (estimate) of my "competitive" career have been devoid of any sort of outside competitive experience, so I learned from watching other players, noting aspects of their playstyle, and trying to integrate them into my own. I also just figured a lot of stuff out. Sure, at first my Link was just a much worse Izaw, but over time it became its own entity as I matured as a player. That's actually one of the things I really love about Smash. You can watch yourself from as recent as a year ago and see the vast improvement. I wish I still had videos from when I started. They were completely awful. And I'm sure the same can be said for a lot of us. But we evolve and grow and surpass our former selves constantly and push the limits of our own abilities as well as our characters'. So in summation, Smash is ****ing awesome.

I was a huge Izaw fanboy as a kid. I should have watched more Deva and Legan. I actually played Deva online a few times. I hope Izaw resurfaces come Smash 4.

Oh God if Izaw just came out the cut with Gold Link: M I would freaking freak the hell out with excitement.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Well I don't try to necessarily adopt others' playstyles, but I used his as sort of a template. I've only been to one tournament in my life aside from the college locals I started hosting last year, you see. The first 6 years (estimate) of my "competitive" career have been devoid of any sort of outside competitive experience, so I learned from watching other players, noting aspects of their playstyle, and trying to integrate them into my own. I also just figured a lot of stuff out. Sure, at first my Link was just a much worse Izaw, but over time it became its own entity as I matured as a player. That's actually one of the things I really love about Smash. You can watch yourself from as recent as a year ago and see the vast improvement. I wish I still had videos from when I started. They were completely awful. And I'm sure the same can be said for a lot of us. But we evolve and grow and surpass our former selves constantly and push the limits of our own abilities as well as our characters'. So in summation, Smash is ****ing awesome.

I was a huge Izaw fanboy as a kid. I should have watched more Deva and Legan. I actually played Deva online a few times. I hope Izaw resurfaces come Smash 4.

Oh God if Izaw just came out the cut with Gold Link: M I would freaking freak the hell out with excitement.
Izaw vs. Germ in Smash 4/PM...Hypest s*** ever lol. I started off playing Melee as a kid, and I remember playing Link all the time. He was such a cool character to me even though all I knew about him was that he was a character from Ocarina of Time. Which my grandpa happened to own, so I beat it thinking that was it...until I learned there were other Zelda games. Smash is actually how I got into Zelda lol.

And I'm with you dude. I learned a lot of my stuff from YouTube. I remember learning how to DACUS in Brawl from Izaw's tutorial. It became one of my signature moves after that. I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for Smash/Zelda. Me being a huge Zelda fan always made me a Link main in every Smash title, even if he was the worst character in the game.

I have a video uploaded from when I began PM. I can really tell how much I've grown as a player since then with how much I've learned and improved.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
As it turns out, I don't even need to short hop in order to bomb punt. It works just fine with full hop as well. I kinda feel stupid now lol. But I remember EmptySky00 saying he needed to stop moving in order to perform it...apparently you don't need to. :p

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
As it turns out, I don't even need to short hop in order to bomb punt. It works just fine with full hop as well. I kinda feel stupid now lol. But I remember EmptySky00 saying he needed to stop moving in order to perform it...apparently you don't need to. :p
I said you have to be relatively static. To my knowledge you can't do it while dashing lol. I didn't mean you have to stop, clean your shoes, contemplate your life's direction, then bomb punt @_@ My bad for being vague.

I actually only play Smash because of Link. I was a Zelda fan because these kids my mother babysat brought over OoT when I was 4. Then I had her get me it. Then I went somewhere and saw Smash 64 and was like OMG THAT'S LINK. Immediately wanted to get it. It's a shame I didn't know about competitive Melee until very late. I only found out about the competitive side of Smash after someone showed me this..
And some of his matches. Then I realized how bad I was and tried to get better.

Smash career story time is da bess.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I said you have to be relatively static. To my knowledge you can't do it while dashing lol. I didn't mean you have to stop, clean your shoes, contemplate your life's direction, then bomb punt @_@ My bad for being vague.

I actually only play Smash because of Link. I was a Zelda fan because these kids my mother babysat brought over OoT when I was 4. Then I had her get me it. Then I went somewhere and saw Smash 64 and was like OMG THAT'S LINK. Immediately wanted to get it. It's a shame I didn't know about competitive Melee until very late. I only found out about the competitive side of Smash after someone showed me this..
And some of his matches. Then I realized how bad I was and tried to get better.

Smash career story time is da bess.
Watching Izaw is what made me realize how much I sucked too lol. I had no idea Smash was competitive until I started to research how to get better on YT as well, which was around 2010. I played Melee at around 2007 as a kid until I got Brawl. My grandpa let me play Ocarina of Time a little after I got Melee. I remember him just letting me run around Hyrule field, killing skullchildren at night. Not so long from then, I managed to beat the game several times over, which my grandpa never had the patience to lol.

But yeah, if they ever took out Link from Smash, I really would have no reason to play it. I can't imagine having to main some other character. The only other character that I could get used to was Ike in Brawl and PM (not that they'd ever remove him anyways).

As for the bomb punt thing, my bad lol. XD

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I started at around 08 I think (?) Maybe 07.
God it took me so long to beat OoT. I remember I used my thanksgiving wish and wished that I would finally beat the water temple.

I beat it that day.
Shadow temple also scared the hell out of me and I refused to go into it for a few months lol.

If they removed Link I could feasibly continue playing. I have a good Marth and I could play Ike/Roy and Ganondorf. But I probably would stop as well since I don't have as much of an attachment to those characters. Sure I freaking love Fire Emblem, but they're not Link. Link and me as a Smash player are pretty much synonymous at this point.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Same here with the shadow temple. I remember making my older sister play through it. And the dead hands...lol. I got used to it after a few play-throughs, but the Shadow Temple still freaked me out for quite a while. The water temple wasn't too bad, although I did get stuck quite a few times. I was lucky enough to have a guide. :p

Last edited:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
Well sure, Link is my favorite character, and Zelda is by far my favorite game series, but I don't think I'd quit if link were removed (which will never happen, since link is one of the largest Nintendo characters alongside Mario and friends). I've been a spacies main on melee forever and still use them constantly even on PM.

I'm just glad that Link can finally be a viable and fierce competitor. Seeing what he's capable of and being able to use him effectively even against the old melee top tiers, and his ability to bop a good chunk of the roster is very refreshing and makes me want to learn the character even more.

If he weren't viable, I'd still play him casually. I played link casually on melee as well, but he was just never as capable a character as the old top tiers. But that's what I love about Project M. Giving every character a sense of balance and effective power frees players to play who they want rather than the statistical best to be successful. :) There isn't any sense of inferiority with most characters now, so character selection can be much broader.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
>Water Temple is hard
>Not playing Great Bay Temple
Great Bay actually isn't all that bad. Guides make it a whole lot easier if you know where you got stuck.

Well sure, Link is my favorite character, and Zelda is by far my favorite game series, but I don't think I'd quit if link were removed (which will never happen, since link is one of the largest Nintendo characters alongside Mario and friends). I've been a spacies main on melee forever and still use them constantly even on PM.

I'm just glad that Link can finally be a viable and fierce competitor. Seeing what he's capable of and being able to use him effectively even against the old melee top tiers, and his ability to bop a good chunk of the roster is very refreshing and makes me want to learn the character even more.

If he weren't viable, I'd still play him casually. I played link casually on melee as well, but he was just never as capable a character as the old top tiers. But that's what I love about Project M. Giving every character a sense of balance and effective power frees players to play who they want rather than the statistical best to be successful. :) There isn't any sense of inferiority with most characters now, so character selection can be much broader.
That's what I love about PM as well. It's amazing to be able to play my favorite character and still win a tournament. I'm thankful to the PM team for finally making Link viable. And it's good news that Link has a chance of being viable in Smash 4 now that he received some well needed buffs. I hope the entire Smash 4 cast is decently balanced at least. Balance patches would be a godsend while the game is out. And I actually hate spacies with a passion lol.

Top Bottom