• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Advanced Technique Guide

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I came up with this tactic that just involves dash dancing and dash attacks. Pretty much all it is is dash attack, dash dance back and forth once to space, and dash attack again. I believe I got multiple confirms with this. % might have something to do with it. Then again, it may just be supid.

Last edited:

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
I personally believe that short range boomerang into FAIR is probably one of Links best kill setups.

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
First post! Hell yeah!

Please forgive me for being a total nob, but I can't for the life of me figure out the Hylian Bomb. It looks bitchin' and I'm all about flair. How exactly do you do it?

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
First post! Hell yeah!

Please forgive me for being a total nob, but I can't for the life of me figure out the Hylian Bomb. It looks *****in' and I'm all about flair. How exactly do you do it?
AGT down. AGT up to catch it. Ledge grab. Ledge hop AGT catch onto stage.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
How the FUDGE is the Hylian Bomb useful? (no offense to him at all) I just could never incorporate it in my play ever due to it looking like unnecessary flash. It might have mindgame potential but honestly I'd rather just be safe and time all my AGT bomb tosses. Pulling off Hylian Bombs just seems like high risk-low reward.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Stalls out the opponent's invincibility after stocks. Confuses them and helps you get back onstage by making it safer. Is a good way to practice AGT since you have to perform multiples in quick succession.

And it's not high risk low reward. I don't generally consider input error a risk, as you should be able to maintain consistency with your character no matter what. High risk entails that if the opponent chooses the correct decision to counter it, you're going to get punished hard. I don't think that's really the case as long as you're not stupid with it. It's just AGT acrobatics, and AGT is a move that may be needed in many many quick situations (projectile catch AGT or w/e), so being able to do anything you want with it on a whim is a good thing.

And flash keeps you nimble. Flash is all about exercising high control over your character. In a way it's like practice because you can become better at just pulling out overly-technical things on a whim. In an actual serious game, you may not use it, but having the ability to control your character to the highest degree is valuable nonetheless.

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I don't disagree with you Empty but there are some things I feel like such as the doubleshine --> double SH laser that Fox has in Melee which honestly have very little value in a real game. I can do the Hylian Bomb consistently but I almost never practice it due to its seemingly unnecessary flashiness behind it.

Maybe I'll use it in a situation to get back on-stage, but so far it hasn't happened yet.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I don't disagree with you Empty but there are some things I feel like such as the doubleshine --> double SH laser that Fox has in Melee which honestly have very little value in a real game. I can do the Hylian Bomb consistently but I almost never practice it due to its seemingly unnecessary flashiness behind it.

Maybe I'll use it in a situation to get back on-stage, but so far it hasn't happened yet.
It's not staple by any means. It's never necessary lol. Just an option.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Well I am working on the AGT but I am not sure if I am doing it right. I air dodge and immediately use the C-stick to throw the bomb, but I don't think I am getting the so called "shift in momentum" that you should get when you do it correctly. Have any thoughts and/or suggestions on what to change or look for?

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Always practice going up as the change is the most drastic.

Pug

Smash Apprentice
While getting the timing down it's better to C-stick too late than too early and then slowly speed it up until you throw the bomb instead of using your clawshot. Plus the later you do it the more momentum you get.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Always practice going up as the change is the most drastic.
Yeah, I definitely figured that out when I was practicing it in Training Mode for recovery...
While getting the timing down it's better to C-stick too late than too early and then slowly speed it up until you throw the bomb instead of using your clawshot. Plus the later you do it the more momentum you get.
Hmm....really? Okay, I'll start training with that in mind.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Yeah, I definitely figured that out when I was practicing it in Training Mode for recovery...

Hmm....really? Okay, I'll start training with that in mind.
I figured you would have, but when giving advice I'd rather not assume just in case as I could potentially be giving useful information.

One good way to practice it is find a stage with a high platform like.. Green Skill Zone. Wait until it swings up, double jump bomb pull w/o fast fall, AGT up, bomb pull without fast fall, AGT up again. It's good to practice doing it consistently and in a row, and also not fast falling when pulling the bomb out. The timing itself I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of it, I just feel it out. But if waiting longer gives you more distance that's very interesting and I'll have to try it out.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

The only times I use it other than stalling out invincibility is when I'm recovering high and they jump out to get my so I AGT downwards to avoid them, then re-catch AGT forwards and throw the bomb up at them, just kind of vary it a bit. I wouldn't suggest anyone do the trick, I just do it because it lets me know my tech skill is on point and I enjoy doing it/confusing my opponent with it. I also condition my opponent and get free stuff sometimes because they expect me to catch the bomb again after I grab the ledge and get on the stage with it, and instead I just let the bomb fall and invincibile ledgedash and get a free dash attack or grab.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
The only times I use it other than stalling out invincibility is when I'm recovering high and they jump out to get my so I AGT downwards to avoid them, then re-catch AGT forwards and throw the bomb up at them, just kind of vary it a bit. I wouldn't suggest anyone do the trick, I just do it because it lets me know my tech skill is on point and I enjoy doing it/confusing my opponent with it. I also condition my opponent and get free stuff sometimes because they expect me to catch the bomb again after I grab the ledge and get on the stage with it, and instead I just let the bomb fall and invincibile ledgedash and get a free dash attack or grab.
I've been playing with double AGT for the same purpose of checking to see if my tech skill is up to par. I have fidgety days where I can't even seem to do simple stuff, and on other days I exceed my own expectations at times.

Little bit off topic: Anyone here thinking about attending Big House 4 in October? I'd love to meet up with some other link players and do some friendlies alongside attending the tournament.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'll probably be there.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I do the same thing. I call it player biorhythm (FE 10lolol)

Some days I don't even understand what my character does anymore it seems. Some days I'm clumsy as **** and can't do my staple movement options perfectly. It's annoying and it frustrates me to no end. Especially when I'm playing Umbreon and getting my face smeared across the blast zone.

Where is Big House 4? If it's close I kinda want to set up going with my team

Pug

Smash Apprentice
Yeah sometimes the planets are in alignment and you play like a God, other days your hands feel like someone else's (the hands of an uncoordinated coal shoveller).

I got the urge to play some Melee last Friday even though I haven't played in ages. There were moments where I was seriously surprised at my competence. As luck would have it the game was recorded.

It's not PM but it's Link so it's kind of on topic?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
A venue by me is actually hosting a tournament that will sponsor top 3 to go to Big House.
I'm doing my best to go~

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I figured you would have, but when giving advice I'd rather not assume just in case as I could potentially be giving useful information.

One good way to practice it is find a stage with a high platform like.. Green Skill Zone. Wait until it swings up, double jump bomb pull w/o fast fall, AGT up, bomb pull without fast fall, AGT up again. It's good to practice doing it consistently and in a row, and also not fast falling when pulling the bomb out. The timing itself I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of it, I just feel it out. But if waiting longer gives you more distance that's very interesting and I'll have to try it out.
Ah okay, I usually just practice everything on FD but I'll try that. The fast-fall is the thing that usually gets me during matches when I have to recover from a bit of ways, and I am a victim of doing it often, any tips for that? Honestly though, there is a timing for the AGT for when you get the most distance, I have figured that much out, but to me it can't be too late nor too early. To go along with the AGT I have been doing very well with SHAGing and it is something I look to try in a actual match.
Little bit off topic: Anyone here thinking about attending Big House 4 in October? I'd love to meet up with some other link players and do some friendlies alongside attending the tournament.
I really want to try and go to that, but then again I really want to start small for my competitive debut so I might just wait for a good local tournament to show up and attend that.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Starting your competitive debut at a big tournament isn't bad.
You can see the gap between you and the top better, and you have more people to play/get advice from in person.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Starting your competitive debut at a big tournament isn't bad.
You can see the gap between you and the top better, and you have more people to play/get advice from in person.
That is true. But my real issue with going to this is transportation. Romulus is a bit of a ways from where I am. That said, I still have time between to figure things out and further polish up Link to least win a few matches there.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I may update the video come 3.5. Assuming they don't go upside my head with the nerf club of injustice.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Nice video. Though I knew a lot of what he was capable of in Brawl, some of his new tech is pretty interesting.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Did you guys get the news? Izaw is coming back! Let the Link mains rejoice. :4link:

By the way, my tech skill with Link really exploded this summer. I can quad AGT now. Must be all those hours of practice. Soon I'll be showing it off when I can get ProjectM.rar and join the wifi warriors once more. May sound lame to some of you guys, but I just don't have the resources yet to attend all these real tournaments. I may go to some local tournaments in my area if I get the chance though.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
First post! Hell yeah!

Please forgive me for being a total nob, but I can't for the life of me figure out the Hylian Bomb. It looks *****in' and I'm all about flair. How exactly do you do it?
Well I like to just call it double agt. You can actually tripple agt or even quad agt if you make use of his downward momentum toss.

cFive

Smash Apprentice
dunno if it was mentioned in this thread already, but at 8:44 of the vid you use the AGT to recover by hitting your own bomb and then be able to do another up-b (u didnt extra mention it)..
I saw this doing some other players too, however...

I dont think its really usefull because links recovery with the AGT and tether is soo good that, if you still have your double jump, you can recover almost from everywhere.. so its a little wast to waste the doublejump for that risky move, BUT..

theres a much better way to recover if you have nothing left and are far away offstage (you could maybe implement it into your startpost if you want): you pull a bomb as soon as possible after you got knocked out, without fastfalling(!), z-drop the bomb, fastfall for a very short time, up-b into it, (DI it into the right direction) and up-b again to recover!

there is a chance that the bomb will just be pushed away by your sword, but i think the same chance is there if you do the other strat, the chance of it happening tho is even lower with this strat because the bomb is closer to link and you can hit it more often with your sword before it eventually flies off... the shorter the fastfall is, the higher the chance of it working!

hope you like my little trick :) its not easy but amazing if you pull it off successfully and a real hype-generator :D

Last edited:

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
dunno if it was mentioned in this thread already, but at 8:44 of the vid you use the AGT to recover by hitting your own bomb and then be able to do another up-b (u didnt extra mention it)..

I dont think its really usefull because links recovery with the AGT and tether is soo good that, if you still have your double jump, you can recover almost from everywhere.. so its a little wast to waste the doublejump for that risky move, BUT..

theres a much better way to recover if you have nothing left and are far away offstage (you could maybe implement it into your startpost if you want): you pull a bomb as soon as possible after you got knocked out, without fastfalling(!), z-drop the bomb, fastfall for a very short time, up-b into it, (DI it into the right direction) and up-b again to recover!

there is a chance that the bomb will just be pushed away by your sword, but i think the same chance is there if you do the other strat, the chance of it happening tho is even lower with this strat because the bomb is closer to link and you can hit it more often with your sword before it eventually flies off... the shorter the fastfall is, the higher the chance of it working!

hope you like my little trick :) its not easy but amazing if you pull it off successfully and a real hype-generator :D
That actually sounds pretty bossy. I've had the bomb get knocked out of the air a few times, so that seems safer.

D

Deleted member

That's just a standard bomb jump recovery, it's essential when you need to recover from the depths and when AGT isn't enough to get you back. Haven't heard of your method before though, i'll have to try that out. Though it sounds like it doesn't work near the bottom of the stage since it relies on fast falling and you'll hit the bottom of the stage first where as with bomb recover it flings you up and away from death.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Why would you willingly fall further than you need to though? Fast-falling makes recovering harder than just immediately AGT > up-bing the bomb.

cFive

Smash Apprentice
this is more like a last hope recovery, when there is no other way to make it up again, not even AGT > up-b!
it works believe me :D

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
When does AGT > up-b not work, other than when up-b is too stale which would affect the scenario you also presented?
If you wanted to go a little lower, why wouldn't you just drift towards the stage for longer before doing AGT > up-b?

cFive

Smash Apprentice
no i think u have the wrong idea.. maybe i will make a video or something soon..

scenario: u get knocked offstage, wanna recover normaly, doublejump + pull bomb, AGT, up-b/tether, AND THEN you get knocked out again without touching the ledge (and pretty horizontal, so you are not very high) -> you have no doublejump and are lower than the stage, then you can use my method (nothing else would bring you high enough :o)!

i hope this was a little more clear, if not i might make a video..

Last edited:
Top Bottom