• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Instantly. You'd swear it's a custom the way I do it, lol. DP can do it too, albit differently because his arrows don't turn that sharply.
Went into training mode. Pit's arrows are so much fun. Ducking only works on dark pit at very close range... And nobody should be shooting arrows at that close range.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Went into training mode. Pit's arrows are so much fun. Ducking only works on dark pit at very close range... And nobody should be shooting arrows at that close range.
Me, I preferred how they were in Brawl, but they're still pretty good. I like how charging makes 'em go faster. People just don't expect it and get nailed.

And I really want to see how the matchup between Pit and Megaman works out. Pit's arrows can easily get in Megaman's gaps and his Sspecial deflects projectiles, especially laggy ones, with ease. But Megaman's lemons might end up triggering Pit's Sspecial's uppercut, and if Megs keeps on shooting, he should hit Pit. I'd ask one of you guys for a match if I wasn't horrible. :laugh:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Been having trouble with Lemons as it's really hard to shot hop with the 3DS's hardware. Does anyone have any advice on any possible control setups to make things easier?

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Been having trouble with Lemons as it's really hard to shot hop with the 3DS's hardware. Does anyone have any advice on any possible control setups to make things easier?
I have the same problem. Trying to short hop after the 3rd lemon. I couldn't think of any control setups that would help/wouldn't destroy every instinct that I have with smash (as in maybe L as jump? No. That's too weird). I ended up just going into training mode and practicing lemons+jump. I can now short hop pretty well, but I have about a 60% chance of short hopping with lemons (significantly greater than 0)

CCCM89

Smash Ace
is this a thing yet? I found that full hopp ing a Fair into a fast fall while the opponent is standing below will result in the Fair hitting them, even though you start it high over their heads. time it just right and you do the full 8 damage, otherwise you get 5% and some nice knockback. I've found the Bair does this to, but the timing is much tighter and only works due to the multiple hits. the Fair works because it lasts just long enough to fast fall into the enemy and have your already drawn fire sword land on them.

I would think this could be a good approach, possibly for most characters, but definitely a good technique to approach campers spamming projectiles.

has this been posted already, or did I find something interesting?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I have the same problem. Trying to short hop after the 3rd lemon. I couldn't think of any control setups that would help/wouldn't destroy every instinct that I have with smash (as in maybe L as jump? No. That's too weird). I ended up just going into training mode and practicing lemons+jump. I can now short hop pretty well, but I have about a 60% chance of short hopping with lemons (significantly greater than 0)
Jump on L was pretty easy for me, albit in Brawl. I'd do it here too if I had the extra shoulder buttons.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Jump on L was pretty easy for me, albit in Brawl. I'd do it here too if I had the extra shoulder buttons.
I used the wiimote + nunchuck a lot for brawl. I actually started to prefer that setup with down on the D-pad as grab. Jump on L feels too weird with the 3DS. Just as jump on Y does (I only use it to do hopping specials... and even then I have to think about it)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Maybe it's because I'm using an original 3DS...

Training Mode? I guess I can try that out some more, to be honest Mega Man seems like a character who will benefit greatly from the upgrade to the Wii U and it's Gamecube controllers.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Maybe it's because I'm using an original 3DS...

Training Mode? I guess I can try that out some more, to be honest Mega Man seems like a character who will benefit greatly from the upgrade to the Wii U and it's Gamecube controllers.
Ohh... are people using 3DS XL's? I feel like that guy with an iPhone 5s now.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how much he'll benefit. He's not really that button technical a character other than the occasional pivot smash/tilt and grabs. I guess c-stick could help with retreating aerials? What did you have in mind?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ohh... are people using 3DS XL's? I feel like that guy with an iPhone 5s now.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how much he'll benefit. He's not really that button technical a character other than the occasional pivot smash/tilt and grabs. I guess c-stick could help with retreating aerials? What did you have in mind?
I don't know, I just tried to short hop with my roommate's XL and the buttons felt less sensitive IMO.

Could just be character based, as I can do a short hop fairly easy with Mario in the control options.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Assuming you have the X button mapped to jump, and A mapped to standard attack, I find it easy to quickly slide your thumb from X to A. I'm using an XL, so the buttons are smooth and it works consistently. Not sure about the standard 3DS model. I'm sure it'll be much easier on the Gamecube controller.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Assuming you have the X button mapped to jump, and A mapped to standard attack, I find it easy to quickly slide your thumb from X to A. I'm using an XL, so the buttons are smooth and it works consistently. Not sure about the standard 3DS model. I'm sure it'll be much easier on the Gamecube controller.
Ahh, but now try sliding from a to x.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Ahh, but now try sliding from a to x.
Oh, well if you're having difficulties with your thumb speed, I presume mapping the jump to L can help. After practicing it a great deal in training mode, the face buttons work fine for me in the end.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Oh, well if you're having difficulties with your thumb speed, I presume mapping the jump to L can help. After practicing it a great deal in training mode, the face buttons work fine for me in the end.
It's not speed, it's more just getting the right type of "soft" slide on to the x. They'll work fine. It's just not as easy as I'd like it to be. I just need to put in the work to make it natural.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
It's not speed, it's more just getting the right type of "soft" slide on to the x. They'll work fine. It's just not as easy as I'd like it to be. I just need to put in the work to make it natural.
Ah, I see. So in that case, it's more of a muscle memory thing. Just keep on practicing and you'll be able get it consistently.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I shifted to the 3DS pretty easily since I'm always playing hardcore twitch-action platformers like MMZ or AZGV. Actually, I took the controls I usually use in platformers over to SSB, which would be switching Y and B around and using primarily X to jump.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I shifted to the 3DS pretty easily since I'm always playing hardcore twitch-action platformers like MMZ or AZGV. Actually, I took the controls I usually use in platformers over to SSB, which would be switching Y and B around and using primarily X to jump.
How is AZGV (azure gunvolt, correct?). I don't think I know MMZ.
Also, that just seems so weird to me coming from a SNES platforming background. Mario all stars/Kirby super star/DK country/yoshi's island. Y was run/attack and B was jump. I'd probably be comfortable with that if not for the fact that there are 2 attack buttons.

Edit: in regards to the A-->X SH after lemon... Yeah, I'll learn it eventually. There are other parts of my game that are a higher priority to improve now, but I'll take care of it soon.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
How is AZGV (azure gunvolt, correct?). I don't think I know MMZ.
Also, that just seems so weird to me coming from a SNES platforming background. Mario all stars/Kirby super star/DK country/yoshi's island. Y was run/attack and B was jump. I'd probably be comfortable with that if not for the fact that there are 2 attack buttons.
Megaman Zero and Gunvolt are the only things that could keep me away from SSB. :chuckle: Gunvolt is leagues ahead of MMZ. It's just the evolution of it, yaknow? And that's a pretty impressive feat, since I thought MMZ was just about perfect.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
perhaps use grab (because grab=shield+attack) to shoot the lemon and have your thumb short hop. No need to change control scheme! Though you can't use grab to fire initial lemon in the lemon triplet. I personally just op for sliding thumb from x to a.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
perhaps use grab (because grab=shield+attack) to shoot the lemon and have your thumb short hop. No need to change control scheme! Though you can't use grab to fire initial lemon in the lemon triplet. I personally just op for sliding thumb from x to a.

Shoyo James

believe in the buge
Not sure if it's been discussed yet, I couldn't find it anywhere, but Megaman's custom special side B (which I think is danger wrap? not sure.) will sometimes shoot two danger wraps at the same time when landing while using his side B. It's really hard for me to trigger it, but I've done it countless times. Not sure if it's random or if there is a timing to it. (also not sure if both are real and do damage; one might be a fake.)

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The Tornado Hold hitbox actually sinks downward after you use it, so it can suck up your opponents if you're getting juggled. It's actually pretty effective at getting a reset at worst, and can potentially set up an aerial combo/juggle for you instead. In terms of getting out of tight spots it might actually be better than Rush against certain characters that have few to no multi-hit attacks but good juggling games like Ganondorf, and maybe Ike if it's true that you can't RC his jab combo.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Here's a combo I found that works at higher percents with the Shadow Blade. It's a true combo according to Training Mode.

Shadow Blade -> D-Tilt

For it to be a true combo, you have to throw the Shadow Blade from a distance where it can hit the opponent twice in quick succession. You also have to make sure you don't D-Tilt too late. This combo does 9% damage, though I really wish it did more so that Shadow Blade is more viable. Shadow Blade looks like garbage IMHO.

Edit: I found that the 2nd hit of the Shadow Blade can combo into other attacks:
D-Smash(uncharged)
U-Smash(uncharged)
F-Smash(uncharged)
D-Tilt
U-Tilt
F-Tilt
Jab
Nair
Fair
Bair
Dash Attack

Some have different timings than others.

Last edited:

Cyclon

Smash Rookie
Not sure if it's been discussed yet, I couldn't find it anywhere, but Megaman's custom special side B (which I think is danger wrap? not sure.) will sometimes shoot two danger wraps at the same time when landing while using his side B. It's really hard for me to trigger it, but I've done it countless times. Not sure if it's random or if there is a timing to it. (also not sure if both are real and do damage; one might be a fake.)
Managed to reproduce this, although just like you said, I can't pull it off reliably. From what I've seen the danger wrap pretty much needs to be shot the moment you hit the ground(so you need to input the command a little before that), and it might require frame-perfect execution... I can't say for sure that it's not just random either...

Anyway, the reason for this post is that I lucked out, and can confirm that the two of them both explode and deal damage on contact. Since they're shot so close to each other, it may mean twice the damage everytime, but I'm too unfamilliar with danger wrap to say.

Nice find!

Edit: Okay, I now am pretty sure it isn't random. And it deals twice the damage a single one would, so quite a lot actually(I get 26%)

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
So here are a few other fun little things I've discovered about the Blue Bomber:

1) Reverse Rushing - You can change the direction you face when Rush shoots you up. Simply jam the control stick in the direction you want to face immediately after hitting UpB. This is very useful for quickly switching up into a bair from standing position and for chasing/juggling.

2) Leaf Shield Rush momentum canceling - If you activate Leaf Shield immediately before bouncing off Rush a second time, it'll cancel the upwards momentum and only shoot you up half as high as normal. Possibly a decent mix-up technique for getting Leaf Shield out. This only seems to work when bouncing off Rush - sadly, Leaf Shield doesn't have a "bucket braking" effect for other vertical momentum.

3) Leaf Shield ledge cancel - If you have Leaf Shield up while grabbing the ledge, the attack "get up" and the dodge "get up" will cancel the Leaf Shield. (Jumping or falling from the ledge will not.) This can lead to some fun ledge game. For example, you can fall off the stage with a Leaf Shield, grab the ledge, let the leaves tag opponents standing too close to the ledge trying to edge guard you, then hit them with a get up attack while they're stunned, the immediately follow up with another attack.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
So here are a few other fun little things I've discovered about the Blue Bomber:

1) Reverse Rushing - You can change the direction you face when Rush shoots you up. Simply jam the control stick in the direction you want to face immediately after hitting UpB. This is very useful for quickly switching up into a bair from standing position and for chasing/juggling.

2) Leaf Shield Rush momentum canceling - If you activate Leaf Shield immediately before bouncing off Rush a second time, it'll cancel the upwards momentum and only shoot you up half as high as normal. Possibly a decent mix-up technique for getting Leaf Shield out. This only seems to work when bouncing off Rush - sadly, Leaf Shield doesn't have a "bucket braking" effect for other vertical momentum.

3) Leaf Shield ledge cancel - If you have Leaf Shield up while grabbing the ledge, the attack "get up" and the dodge "get up" will cancel the Leaf Shield. (Jumping or falling from the ledge will not.) This can lead to some fun ledge game. For example, you can fall off the stage with a Leaf Shield, grab the ledge, let the leaves tag opponents standing too close to the ledge trying to edge guard you, then hit them with a get up attack while they're stunned, the immediately follow up with another attack.
The stuff about the leaf shield is really interesting. Especially the height off of Rush.

The first thing you stated is a turnaround-B. I'm actually in the process of adding b-reverses and wavebouncing into my game as it could be a good way to get the leaf shield out or keep spacing with metal blades/crash bombs. I'll let you guys know how useful it is once I get the inputs down (which, I anticipate, could take a while)

For reference, this is what I'm talking about:
http://smashboards.com/threads/turnaround-bs-b-reverses-and-wavebounces-know-the-difference.334389/

I also looked at "roll cancel grabbing" but it doesn't seem to be any different from dash grabbing. Haven't quite tried dash cancel grabbing, but I don't think there's much there since the top spin is a multi-hit move.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
This is interesting information. I have been messing with it and you can control when you do 2
you have to have to time it so that the danger wraps come out as you hit the ground.
Gold star for you.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or is Shadow Blade incapable of becoming stale? It always seems to do 2% on hit regardless of how many times it has been used.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Is it just me, or is Shadow Blade incapable of becoming stale? It always seems to do 2% on hit regardless of how many times it has been used.
Are you doing this in training mode? Stale moves doesnt work there.

Also ffffff YOU RELEASED MY SB INFO BEFORE I FINISHED TESTING IT.

;_;

Also does anyone who's coming down to the ground, activate leaf shield and then air dodge into your opponent so that they get smacked by the leaf shield while you breeze past them?

I do, but sometimes it's hard to airdodge at the right time.

I really don't see a reason to not leaf shield when you're trying to get back to the ground as soon as possible.

Megaman dosnt have a lot of options for dealing with enemies below him.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
One thing I have to keep reminding myself. With rush, mm never actually has to land. Really freaks out opponents, esp with the 2nd bounce

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206

I was just trying these out. I found success with the leaf shield rush thing doing it just after the bounce. Also, I could still fire the leaf shield after attacking off the ledge. I think it's just really likely that it times out when you dodge or attack, since they take time to do.

Can someone confirm these? I could definitely not be doing them correctly.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I was just trying these out. I found success with the leaf shield rush thing doing it just after the bounce. Also, I could still fire the leaf shield after attacking off the ledge. I think it's just really likely that it times out when you dodge or attack, since they take time to do.

Can someone confirm these? I could definitely not be doing them correctly.
Hm. I grabbed the ledge as quickly as possible, and every time I did the attack and dodge get-ups Leaf Shield automatically dissipated.

Alternatively, if I fell from ledge and attacked, I'd still have the Leaf Shield and throw it.

Maybe I'm not grabbing the ledge as quickly after activating LS as I think I am. (I alternate between activate, run off stage to ledge and Rush, activate LS at apex, and grab on way down). But every time I do an attack or dodge get-up LS seems to dissipate no matter how long it's been out.

Zori

Smash Champion
I was playing doubles with trela yesterday and we stumbled upon some tech.

We were playing Megaman and Charizard and they have some unique synergy! So far I believe megaman can stock tank, so we naturally need a partner that can deal damage and take damage. Aside from that we found out when you attach a crash bomb to charizard and he preforms an upthrow it results into instant death for both characters. Very similar to metaknight snakes c4 tactic. In a 2 v 1 situations this method is pretty devastating. Also I was testing if it were singles and a charizard was aware of this tactic...... as long as were are port one we are safe ;)

We are going to play this team more I'll let you guys know what I find!

_Wargasm_

Smash Rookie
Try changing your control settings. I find it easier to short hop when the L or R button is the jump button as oppose to X and Y. Play around with it in training mode and see if it helps.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I managed to Jab Lock someone with Leaf Sheld in for glory. It looked awesome.
Can't remember how I set it up, though.
x100 Bolts to whoever finds a decent set-up.

Also, I was thinking about if Crash Bomb > Footstool can lead to anything.
I believe I heard somewhere that you can't Jab Lock after footstools anylonger. Does anyone know for sure?

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I've been messing with this tonight and using the Nair on the last hit to push them back is very very good. It's a hit confirmable way to re-establish spacing.

On a different note have you guys seen this?
http://smashboards.com/threads/roll-cancel-grabs.371874/

I started messing with these as well and they are SOOOOO good. This is the safest way I think to go from lemons into a grab and it has made my Dthrow tech chases MUCH more effective.

That combined with instant pivot Ftilts has been helping a lot.
So... apparently I missed this post. I haven't seen much of a difference between the roll cancel grab and the normal dash grab. Does it actually go further?

Top Bottom