• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Sure. but if you want to test it yourself try this set up. Megaman and marth in training mode.
switch time to1/4 (press L)
Megaman spawns rush and lands.
Marth short hops inside Rush.
You can only use Rush when you are falling. Marth's Counter can kill his jump.
release L to pause the game

Megaman:Hold Up-B (to spawn new Rush)
Marth:Hold Down-B (To kill Jump and use Rush)

Press L

Marth should use Rush at the same time when megaman Spawns a new another.

This results in marth teleporting with Rush.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Mind if I put this in the crash bomb thread when I get around to updating it?
It shows off about half of the concepts I had in there along with quite a few I hadn't thought of (I see my shield pressure with Crash Bomb was extremely limited. This video has made me see the light.).

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Yesterday I was battling my bro.

I tossed a diagonal MB in front, then I ran to it and when I was on the MB I pressed ( jump + (GRAB = Shield + Attack)) and jumped with MB in hand without entering AirDodge or fair, this gave me access to all possible available options with MB in hand without locking me on fair end lag o airdodge.

I instantly noticed how my attacks came a lot faster.

The timing is similar to JCT so if anyone wants to practice this and find if it's useful.

To know if you are doing it correctly:

* You will see megaman do a normal jump animation but it will have the MB in his hand
* After this you can do any special bar MB
* Z-Drop MB
* Throw MB on any direction + follow tossed MB with any aerial (basic item MB stuff)
* Fast Fall

I found this was useful for mind games in my case.

If someone already found this trick then ignore.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Yesterday I was battling my bro.

I tossed a diagonal MB in front, then I ran to it and when I was on the MB I pressed ( jump + (GRAB = Shield + Attack)) and jumped with MB in hand without entering AirDodge or fair, this gave me access to all possible available options with MB in hand without locking me on fair end lag o airdodge.

I instantly noticed how my attacks came a lot faster.

The timing is similar to JCT so if anyone wants to practice this and find if it's useful.

To know if you are doing it correctly:

* You will see megaman do a normal jump animation but it will have the MB in his hand
* After this you can do any special bar MB
* Z-Drop MB
* Throw MB on any direction + follow tossed MB with any aerial (basic item MB stuff)
* Fast Fall

I found this was useful for mind games in my case.

If someone already found this trick then ignore.
I knew you could z-grab a Metal Blade off the ground while jumping, but I didn't know you could use the shield grab input to do the same thing. Pretty cool.

It's not really a game changer--I played around with it and got the same distance from z-grabbing. But it's a neat find nonetheless.

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
I knew you could z-grab a Metal Blade off the ground while jumping, but I didn't know you could use the shield grab input to do the same thing. Pretty cool.

It's not really a game changer--I played around with it and got the same distance from z-grabbing. But it's a neat find nonetheless.
I did feel my rate of attacks increased due to the no lag nature of item MB.

I mixed this with ZIGMA upper MB tech.
* FH diagonal MB
* Z-Grab MB SH instead of U-tilt
* Z-Drop on opponent
* Bair on MB hit

And also with LS
* FH diagonal MB
* Z-Grab MB FH
* LS
* Foot Stool on Leaf Hit
* Z-Drop or MB D-Throw

Connected both and was awesome.

What do you mean with "I played around with it and got the same distance from z-grabbing" ?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
What do you mean with "I played around with it and got the same distance from z-grabbing" ?
I meant that I tried:

1) running forward, full hop z-grabbing, then continuing to move forward (what I normally do)
2) running forward, shielding, full hop "shield grabbing" to pick up MB, then. continuing to move forward

Both methods were functionally the same and carried me the same distance.

The shield grab trick is handy if you want to shield a hit before grabbing the metal blade, but other than that it gets you the same result as using the z-button. There may be a frame delay from putting up the shield (though you may cancel out of that by jumping so w/e), but other than that it's functionally the same as z-grabbing.

Last edited:

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
I did feel my rate of attacks increased due to the no lag nature of item MB.

I mixed this with ZIGMA upper MB tech.
* FH diagonal MB
* Z-Grab MB SH instead of U-tilt
* Z-Drop on opponent
* Bair on MB hit

And also with LS
* FH diagonal MB
* Z-Grab MB FH
* LS
* Foot Stool on Leaf Hit
* Z-Drop or MB D-Throw

Connected both and was awesome.

This is actually some pretty cool stuff. So much better than that bend over animation.
I think megaman is among one of the scariest characters in the game with metal blade.
Ill have some very interesting stuff regarding this when I get back this weekend.

Last edited:

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
I meant that I tried:

1) running forward, full hop z-grabbing, then continuing to move forward (what I normally do)
2) running forward, shielding, full hop "shield grabbing" to pick up MB, then. continuing to move forward

Both methods were functionally the same and carried me the same distance.

The shield grab trick is handy if you want to shield a hit before grabbing the metal blade, but other than that it gets you the same result as using the z-button. There may be a frame delay from putting up the shield (though you may cancel out of that by jumping so w/e), but other than that it's functionally the same as z-grabbing.
Oh ok.

Also I couldn't replicate the LS FootStool on the 2nd one due to LS starting lag.

I guess it worked the first time because my opponent was a platform below me after MB hit.

Otherwise LS takes the whole Full Hop to start.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
"
I tossed a diagonal MB in front, then I ran to it and when I was on the MB I pressed ( jump + (GRAB = Shield + Attack)) and jumped with MB in hand without entering AirDodge or fair, this gave me access to all possible available options with MB in hand without locking me on fair end lag o airdodge."

you can do the same with z, is what that other guy was saying.

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Still waiting on this. I'm interested since I'm pretty sure we found all the guaranteed footstool stuff.
Leafstool
Zdrop Metal Blade > Footstool
Jab > edgeslip > Footstool
The Edgeslip mechanic works as follows: When you slide and slip off an edge as a result of knockback, you go into the edgeslip falling animation, similar to when you go into a Footstool falling animation, you cannot do anything. This vidya explains pretty well

Megaman is special and can walk during Jab and Jab has a large amount of knockback, but does not launch the opponent so you can easily have them slip off an edge with it and get guaranteed follow up.

Jab has alot of end lag, so fast fallers are safe from footstools because, well, they fall fast and you can't chase because Jab is laggy, and if you walk off an edge whilst jabbing, you can't fast fall during the during of the end lag of jab.
We even found an Infinite after learning a 2 successive footstool guarantees Lemon Lock. And mitigates the problem "you can't Footstool Stun your opponent during the Forced Get-up animation." which was the problem with this version
Also you don't run out of stage since its run back and forth.
Sorry dude I'm so inactive on here. Anyways, I could not get a video for stupid reasons and I also didn't go all deep in wether it's guaranteed or not. But it seemed to catch level 9 CPUs and even against some players online. So to pull it off, you're gonna want to have your opponent near the edge of the stage. Then you either want to reverse aerial Bair or jump towards your opponent while facing towards the stage(backwards) and do a immediate rising Bair.(resulting in the same thing, just giving you different feel for techniques). Bair should push your opponent off the stage as you both move almost parallel to each other. Above him(hold towards offstage). Fast fall into footstool into Dair.(time varies between chars,their DI, their UpB, jumps?)

Things to note: This is most likely not a guaranteed footstool, just something simple I've come up with.
Bair should NOT sweet spot nor should it get all 3 hits for it to work, I believe.
I believe it can be done with short hop if your opponent is literally on the edge or close. Most of the time, I'd do it full hop though.
It seems to work better if perfectly spaced(not too close to the edge)(fullhop).
Pretty simple, sorry if I made it too complicated but anyways it goes like this..rising Bair>hold forward>fast fall Footstool> Dair.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Well...I was shown a neat trick at APEX. Picking up a Metal Blade (or any item), short hop to z-drop, move backwards and nair. You pick up the blade while shooting your pellets. You can retreat short-hop pellets while holding an item. You can also do this with all of Mega Man's aerials.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
@ CopShowGuy CopShowGuy - I was just practicing that the other day and was thinking about posting about it. Sadly, you can't go forwards because Mega Man is weird and holds items behind him. But yeah, it's pretty easy to do once you get used to z-dropping immediately before you shoot. It also makes for a great mixup going forward as you can z-drop it as you SH forward like you're going to throw/pellet and then (dash) grab. @SanAntonioSmasher - this is exactly what I was talking about.

Something else I've been working on is jab locks. I feel like I've harped on this too much, but I finally sat down and just labbed out %'s for when you should start looking for jab locks/your move forces sends them into tumble and forces them to tech or do something to get out of the tumble. At lower %'s they just land on the ground normally. What causes this is moves that launch at around 45 degrees (which can easily be found in the new Mega Man frame data thread).

Here's the list of %'s where that changes (vs Mario in training mode. % will go down with rage and up with weight. [I think... could be wrong about this]) These might be DI dependent.
BAir3 - 15
Dair startup - 44
Dair meteor ground hit - 54
fair hilt - 57
Fair tip - 53
FAir soft (late) - 97
Item blade - 75
Metal blade - 286
Crash Bomb - 34 (29 at start)
Ftilt sweet spot - 618
Jab sweet spot - 617
Leaf shield throw - 57
Leaf shield leaves - 996 (lol)
Fthrow - 10

Dash attack, dtilt (most notably the sourspot), nair sweet spot all set up jab lock scenarios very well.

The reason this is important is for AAA jab lock > utilt, which adds on 23% to whatever you do and can kill at higher %'s (most notably FAir's soft hit and the item blade).

This also sets up a tech chase which you can punish well if you predict which way they tech (fsmash or running usmash usually).

That's all I've got for now. I've mostly been working on reading harder, being unpredictable with pellets (not firing all 3 all the time), and item pelleting (on the ground is so much harder than in the air).

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Well...I was shown a neat trick at APEX. Picking up a Metal Blade (or any item), short hop to z-drop, move backwards and nair. You pick up the blade while shooting your pellets. You can retreat short-hop pellets while holding an item. You can also do this with all of Mega Man's aerials.
I thought we knew this already >_>

Don't hurt me.
*scurries*

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I thought we knew this already >_>

Don't hurt me.
*scurries*
Nah, I thought it was well known already too. I only thought about posting it because I brought it up and someone asked me about it.

You haven't found a way to do it forwards have you?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Nah, I thought it was well known already too. I only thought about posting it because I brought it up and someone asked me about it.

Well, you can do it forward, after a fashion.

If you dash forward, RAR, z-drop, and nair, you'll end up dropping the blade, picking it up again, and shooting backwards while moving forwards.

It seems like kind of a silly thing to do, but the nair sweetspot is surprisingly big. You often eiher hit people in front of you with the metal blade or nair sweetspot, and people behind you with the lemons. I find it a handy thing to do against people who abuse dash attacks and rolls.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink

No need when i can shoot from the ground then jump while holding it

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic

Can't test this for a while since I'm away from my Wii U and the 3DS doesn't have a C-stick, but I think you can do this if your C-stick is set to tilts by doing a crouching Ftilt while holding the blade, then jumping out of it and firing another one in the air.

If you jump during your pellet salvo, you'll keep going with it, even if you've got a blade and are holding a direction. So, you crouch-ftilt to fire a pellet from the ground while holding a blade, then jump out of it and fire another before you cancel the jab combo.

Or you could just do the crouching ftilt thing and walk at them.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Yeah, but you can't start a pellet string in the air while holding a metal blade moving forward, which was the question. (Without dropping the blade, of course).

You also don't need the c-stick set to tilts in order to item tilt (in fact, you probably shouldn't so that you can item fsmash).

The way I have my controller laid out is smash c-stick, zR attack (so I can item fsmash), R shield, zL grab, L jump (helps for OOS and jump cancel tossing). X/Y jump, B special, A attack. D pad is taunts because taunts. Tap jump off but that's complete preference/debate for another time.

I don't think I could use a GameCube controller for Mega Man if I tried.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
... Maybe we should get a little more organized so the same things don't keep coming up over and over again.

*not it*

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A revamp thread wouldn't hurt. Though it'd be a daunting task to compile all the useful and gimmicky tech this thread has played around with even with Opana's and the Community Guide keeping tab of a couple things.

Only recently bought a Wii U so don't look at me for this.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I think I found something interesting...
We might already know about Megaman's Super Armor during his throws, but while messing with poor Weegee in training mode, it seems that we could just trade Crash bombs once or twice before throwing depending on where it attached (Dthrow should be used once the bomb trades twice or when it attached to our unused arm).

I just can't say if it could be any useful in competitive play...:ohwell:

p.s.: This combo kills Luigi around 200% on FD and deals at least 12% with Dthrow

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I think someone should organize this topic with all the advance tech in the first post resumed and without all the bla bla bla (I mean shorter). I've a lot of tech that I'm sure nobody has posted on youtube or this forum nor done it on tournys, because it's really hard to pull off. I want to share it, but explaining it with words is impossible, specially when my button config was based around that tech and is all weird compared to standard gc controller. (Actually I think without that config is almost impossible to pull it off). When I've time I will upload videos (don't have a capture card so expect bad quallity). Maybe that could help people discover more stuff, but don't expect something that level ups your game instantly, because believe me those kind of stuff are at a whole new level of precision.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I think someone should organize this topic with all the advance tech in the first post resumed and without all the bla bla bla (I mean shorter). I've a lot of tech that I'm sure nobody has posted on youtube or this forum nor done it on tournys, because it's really hard to pull off. I want to share it, but explaining it with words is impossible, specially when my button config was based around that tech and is all weird compared to standard gc controller. (Actually I think without that config is almost impossible to pull it off). When I've time I will upload videos (don't have a capture card so expect bad quallity). Maybe that could help people discover more stuff, but don't expect something that level ups your game instantly, because believe me those kind of stuff are at a whole new level of precision.
I'm actually very excited to hear that.
...but even moar precision??
I'm starting to believe that you have to become a robot master to use mega man lol.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
if you can't explain it in words you just don't have much experience posting. which is fine. but at least try.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
if you can't explain it in words you just don't have much experience posting. which is fine. but at least try.
Ok, I'm gonna try... I will start with the easiest thing:
There are five different ways to shot the megabuster, all of this is doing with short hops.
1. jump and at the apex press nair and then buffer the jump. This one is usefull because after the jump you can use flamesword and so on.
2. jump and after you decend, instead of pressing nair and then buffer a jump, slide your thumb from attack to jump so that way the shot and the jump will happen in a way that you are able to fast fall after the jump in order to get a grab. You shoudn't hear the metal sound your feet do when you touch the ground just like with the method above. You can't use flamsword after the jump with this method, but is very useful to go for a grab.
3. slide your thumb from jab to jump, you will hear the the metal sound, repeat this every time you touch the ground, is very usefull for sweetspot the jab.
4. slide your thumb from jump to jab, very effictive for sweetspot.
5. While holding your metal blade, hold diagonal down foward, and then slide your thumb like in three, but this one is weird because you can move all you want in the air but you need to return your position to down foward while you land in order to continue to do this. This one is the slowest, you can hear the metal sound, but is very useful while you hold your metal blade. Is better than the c-stick down method, and it lets you do a lot of stuff. Also, with diagonal down foward, you can jab way more quickly than with cstick.
The jump, z-drop, nair method is the same as 2, but with a metal blade in hand.

Well, I've a lot of stuff writen, but I think beside the ways to shot, the thing that will interest you the most is a thing I call air glide toss. I've my controlled configure like this:
A = jump
X = grab
Y = jab
B = B
So that way I can slide my thumb from jump to any other action when I want. I do this with megaman because sliding your thumb is very different than pressing the two buttons in sequence. You can notice that if you try to do a full hop flame sword>uair. With this configuration in mind, sliding from jump to grab lets you catch a metal blade without doing anything and being able to react faster. By doing this, the aire glide toss is done like this:
jump, z-drop, fasfatll diagonal down in the direction the metal blade is falling, slide from jump to grab to catch it again while jumping and then z-drop repeat the process. I know it sounds weird but that it's just the beginning, you can combo that like for times into bair without your opponent being able to escape, and also you can move like that and attack like a mad man, but the metal blade can't touch the ground so it's very very difficult.
I'm actually very excited to hear that.
...but even moar precision??
I'm starting to believe that you have to become a robot master to use mega man lol.
The problem with this kind of tech is that is very easy to fail and if you fail, prepare to be destroyed so that's why I said it won't level up your game. I know a lot of fancy stuff with megaman, but it's just like pivot dash, looks cool but in an actual match is very hard to pull, specially if you are fighting against a pro.

Last edited:

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
i've been doing stuff like that with the default control (because z for grab makes it pretty easy to jump+immediate grab) the only challenge is to press Z light enough to avoid the airdodge.

basically you jump-> drop blade -> fast fall -> land -> jump and grab blade -> drop blade -> etc.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
not sure if someone already posted this, but

fast falling, using megaman,
Ok, I'm gonna try... I will start with the easiest thing:
There are five different ways to shot the megabuster, all of this is doing with short hops.
1. jump and at the apex press nair and then buffer the jump. This one is usefull because after the jump you can use flamesword and so on.
2. jump and after you decend, instead of pressing nair and then buffer a jump, slide your thumb from attack to jump so that way the shot and the jump will happen in a way that you are able to fast fall after the jump in order to get a grab. You shoudn't hear the metal sound your feet do when you touch the ground just like with the method above. You can't use flamsword after the jump with this method, but is very useful to go for a grab.
3. slide your thumb from jab to jump, you will hear the the metal sound, repeat this every time you touch the ground, is very usefull for sweetspot the jab.
4. slide your thumb from jump to jab, very effictive for sweetspot.
5. While holding your metal blade, hold diagonal down foward, and then slide your thumb like in three, but this one is weird because you can move all you want in the air but you need to return your position to down foward while you land in order to continue to do this. This one is the slowest, you can hear the metal sound, but is very useful while you hold your metal blade. Is better than the c-stick down method, and it lets you do a lot of stuff. Also, with diagonal down foward, you can jab way more quickly than with cstick.
The jump, z-drop, nair method is the same as 2, but with a metal blade in hand.

Well, I've a lot of stuff writen, but I think beside the ways to shot, the thing that will interest you the most is a thing I call air glide toss. I've my controlled configure like this:
A = jump
X = grab
Y = jab
B = B
So that way I can slide my thumb from jump to any other action when I want. I do this with megaman because sliding your thumb is very different than pressing the two buttons in sequence. You can notice that if you try to do a full hop flame sword>uair. With this configuration in mind, sliding from jump to grab lets you catch a metal blade without doing anything and being able to react faster. By doing this, the aire glide toss is done like this:
jump, z-drop, fasfatll diagonal down in the direction the metal blade is falling, slide from jump to grab to catch it again while jumping and then z-drop repeat the process. I know it sounds weird but that it's just the beginning, you can combo that like for times into bair without your opponent being able to escape, and also you can move like that and attack like a mad man, but the metal blade can't touch the ground so it's very very difficult.

The problem with this kind of tech is that is very easy to fail and if you fail, prepare to be destroyed so that's why I said it won't level up your game. I know a lot of fancy stuff with megaman, but it's just like pivot dash, looks cool but in an actual match is very hard to pull, specially if you are fighting against a pro.
I tried using your contro scheme, and i found it hard to short hop by pressing "A." how to fix this?

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
not sure if someone already posted this, but

fast falling, using megaman,

I tried using your contro scheme, and i found it hard to short hop by pressing "A." how to fix this?
I think you should remain with your regular control schemes. I started the game with that config, and made a few changes later but nothing else. Better try to find the way it suits you more.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
I think you should remain with your regular control schemes. I started the game with that config, and made a few changes later but nothing else. Better try to find the way it suits you more.
wat changes did you use later? i'm intersted, cuz lots of ppl have different control scemes, and its good to know wat works for you

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
wat changes did you use later? i'm intersted, cuz lots of ppl have different control scemes, and its good to know wat works for you
This configuration started on the 3ds and based on my megaman gameplay experience in all the other megaman games. So i wanted the lowest button (B on the 3ds) to be the jump button just like in snes/psx and Y to be the shooting button. Then I noticed that short hoping jab is different from sliding your thumb jab, so I incorporated my special move button to A and grab to X in order to have sliding from jump to jab or special move. Later when the wii u was released, I realized that its way more important to have on the 3ds the sliding jump to grab instead of slide to special move because that way I could catch the metal blade faster without lag and without doing any attack easily, plus I discovered the air glide toss so in the 3ds my config ended with B to jump, Y to attack, A grab and X special move, but on the wii u, the A button is on the middle so I put Y to shoot just like older megaman games, grab in X to have thumb slide from jump to x and B remained the same. That way I had all three thumb slides accesible for megaman and very easy to perform. The L button became a second attack just to perform dodge (holding L) side smash attack while holding my metal blade, the R button remained as a shield and the z button continue to be a grab only to perform dash attack cancel into grab which is useful if you play rosalina. This configuration is perfect for megaman just because it can perform every tech easily except for roll cancel grab because it would be stupid to make a configuration just for that. That's why my jump button is on A, to have acces to all the sliding thumbs whenever I want like, easily perfect metal blade grabbing, easy diag angled down metal blade into utilt and easy short hop into jab.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
This configuration started on the 3ds and based on my megaman gameplay experience in all the other megaman games. So i wanted the lowest button (B on the 3ds) to be the jump button just like in snes/psx and Y to be the shooting button. Then I noticed that short hoping jab is different from sliding your thumb jab, so I incorporated my special move button to A and grab to X in order to have sliding from jump to jab or special move. Later when the wii u was released, I realized that its way more important to have on the 3ds the sliding jump to grab instead of slide to special move because that way I could catch the metal blade faster without lag and without doing any attack easily, plus I discovered the air glide toss so in the 3ds my config ended with B to jump, Y to attack, A grab and X special move, but on the wii u, the A button is on the middle so I put Y to shoot just like older megaman games, grab in X to have thumb slide from jump to x and B remained the same. That way I had all three thumb slides accesible for megaman and very easy to perform. The L button became a second attack just to perform dodge (holding L) side smash attack while holding my metal blade, the R button remained as a shield and the z button continue to be a grab only to perform dash attack cancel into grab which is useful if you play rosalina. This configuration is perfect for megaman just because it can perform every tech easily except for roll cancel grab because it would be stupid to make a configuration just for that. That's why my jump button is on A, to have acces to all the sliding thumbs whenever I want like, easily perfect metal blade grabbing, easy diag angled down metal blade into utilt and easy short hop into jab.
thanks for the indepth analysis. i'll have to test this controll config more in the lab :)

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the indepth analysis. i'll have to test this controll config more in the lab :)
I wish you luck! I know how hard is to adapt to other controller schemes, but Ive done it a lot of times so I think you will be succesful with this. Remember:
A = Jump
B = Special Move
Y = Attack
X = Grab
Z = Grab
R = Shield
L = Attack
C-Stick = Smash
Hope it helps!

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Crossposting this from the Tornado Hold thread.

I made a quick video to explain some techs that can dramatically shorten or even cancel the landing lag from Tornado Hold. These techs will work with Rush Coil and Beat, too, but I think Tornado Hold has the most interesting applications. H/t to @ mega4000 mega4000 for pointing these out to me.

The first tech is autocancel trumping. If you autocancel another aerial or use another B move after using UpB, that move's landing/ending lag will "trump" the UpB's landing lag. In other words, if you use another move while landing, you can shorten the inactive frames you normally get while landing on the stage after using an UpB. So you should always do something while landing on stage. Metal Blade and Leaf Shield, in particular, have good synergy with Tornado Hold, which I demonstrate in the video.

The second tech is a variation on the first which I call the lemon drop. What you do is UpB, use nair to fire 1 lemon, then fast fall. Depending on how high you are, you can land back on the stage with drastically shortened lag, and can immediately jump or walk forward as soon as you touch down. This allows you to do things like chaining Tornado Holds together, or following up a Tornado Hold with a short hopped bair, or landing into a buffered utilt, or landing into shield. You can also summon Rush, land next to him, and still have time to short hop and bounce on him again if you want (or not). Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom