• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Social and General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Cool story bro!! Personally, I don't see or comprehend what being racist means, but i'll back off from so... yeah.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Would you agree that stereotyping is a critical component of racism?
I do believe so. If someone tells a native american a stereotypic joke about cotton in this day, It would still consider as racism.
How would you define racism exactly?
Race is based off the color of our skin. Racism is based on what people with a different race do throughout history.
We all know stereotypes can be insulting and harmful, but what are is the validity of a stereotype based upon?
In my opinion, I would say what others do by ethnicity.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Taco, you're letting Tery lead this discussion.

You've already lost.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I do believe so. If someone tells a native american a stereotypic joke about cotton in this day, It would still consider as racism.
Well, Native Americans don't really have anything to do with cotton as far as I know... If you're referring to African Americans, I'm interested to know how you'd classify the statement "black people like watermelon".

Race is based off the color of our skin. Racism is based on what people with a different race do throughout history.
And this is your definition for racism...?

So you think stereotypes are based in fact?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
TokyoGamer7 said:
Racism is based on what people of a different race do throughout history? How does that work? If I told a Chinese person their ancestors built the Great Wall Of China, that's racism?

TokyoGamer7 said:
There is a major difference between the words "race" and "ethnicity". "Race" is essentially what people identify themselves as via something like skin colour or physical features. Examples of "race" are white, black, Asian, etc. "Ethnicity" is essentially people of a similar background via ancestry, heritage, culture, etc. People can be "Asian" by race but "American" by ethnicity, if you understand this.

Furthermore, if stereotyping is a just "what others do by ethnicity", how do people find stereotypes offensive? It's just something other people of different ethnicities do, right? Based on your definition, I can't see how stereotyping is offensive in any way.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
This is Hard. One mistake can mean an instant rampage. I'll skim one of solid's questions since they're similar to tery's.

Well, Native Americans don't really have anything to do with cotton as far as I know... If you're referring to African Americans, I'm interested to know how you'd classify the statement "black people like watermelon".
This could be considered mostly a stereotype instead of racism.
So you think stereotypes are based in fact?
Not exactly.
Racism is based on what people of a different race do throughout history? How does that work? If I told a Chinese person their ancestors built the Great Wall Of China, that's racism?

There is a major difference between the words "race" and "ethnicity". "Race" is essentially what people identify themselves as via something like skin colour or physical features. Examples of "race" are white, black, Asian, etc. "Ethnicity" is essentially people of a similar background via ancestry, heritage, culture, etc. People can be "Asian" by race but "American" by ethnicity, if you understand this.

Furthermore, if stereotyping is a just "what others do by ethnicity", how do people find stereotypes offensive? It's just something other people of different ethnicities do, right? Based on your definition, I can't see how stereotyping is offensive in any way.
This got me hard. It's like playing chess with literacy. I can't compete with this fully.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
This is Hard. One mistake can mean an instant rampage. I'll skim one of solid's questions since they're similar to tery's.
I'm not trying to grill you obviously. Just wanting to keep you open.

TokyoGamer7 said:
Not exactly.
Can you explain this in further detail? If stereotypes are not based on fact, where do they come from? Are they based off myth? If so, how do people take something based off a myth so seriously?

And by all means if you don't want to continue this, just let me know haha.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
You got me on Checkmate.

My post won't makre any sense up to this point. As my posts become less reasonable when you get more power out of me.

I'll have to end this right here sadly. :c

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
You got me on Checkmate.

My post won't makre any sense up to this point. As my posts become less reasonable when you get more power out of me.

It's okay, man! The debate is a good buffer and helps you learn on what you should or shouldn't post regarding a debate of a certain topic. But I will agree 100% with you that stereotypes are a components of racism and are used as discriminatory weapons either verbally or emotionally to people of a different race or ethnicity.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Thanks for the heads up, Tery, but to be fair we'll keep our eyes on your PG activity as this is a more social setting and less apt to be functional in terms of debate.

You're well on your way to staying in the Proving Grounds for 2 years until the Debate Hall gets reformed again!
This used to be the case but average turn around for active posters is a week or so (provided they're not AV :awesome:)

You got me on Checkmate.

This could have been dubbed over a scene from Shaolin Intruders and it'd have been epic.

(That was a racist comment based on a stereotype. As you can see they are not mutually exclusive.)

I didn't mean that, btw, I like you Tokyo :D I see you also joined the PG so we look forward to seeing you post. And since you asked, Tery, I think you're well on your way to becoming a great Smash Debater.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Wow what a coincidence here we are having pretend debates and I just joined the PG today.

Awesomesauce

Oh and I'll also like to add that Alien Vision ****ing hilarious. <3 reading his posts.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's not pink.

It's like ... peach...

Also, Tokyo you're being a terrible poster again.
Stop that.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I miss the tomato orange names that us "Pokemon Masters" had...

But then again the qualifications for becoming a Master became a joke after a while.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I still have no reason to hate you. But what you said right there being "A terrible poster again" started something. Which is not considered telling what you see by my doings.

But I'll just let this one go.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
What Spelt is trying to say is that you do not need to always post. In many scenarios, it is best to say nothing at all. A lot of the times when you post, it comes across as completely pointless. "Why was this posted?" or "what does this mean?" is usually my reaction to many of your posts.

A good poster knows when to post, and when NOT to post!

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
That's why I'm preventing this. So I can manage to become better.
But really, some people saying things like that always strikes me.
Now I need to prevent myself from getting mad over that as well.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
What Spelt is trying to say is that you do not need to always post. In many scenarios, it is best to say nothing at all. A lot of the times when you post, it comes across as completely pointless. "Why was this posted?" or "what does this mean?" is usually my reaction to many of your posts.

A good poster knows when to post, and when NOT to post!
Seriously, this. Before you hit the reply button, think: What does this post add to the conversation? If nothing, don't post it.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Ah the No Response response.

I love that one.

There's times I'd write up an essay and end up deleting the whole thing figuring the silence might be more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom