• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I attend the University of Florida, and every other day I have to walk through this outdoor plaza-type area, and there are religious fanatics holding up signs that read in big bold letters "GOD HATES ***S." I'm on my way to class, so I really never have time to shatter their misguided beliefs, but I was wondering if anyone in the school would fault me for destroying their sign, or do you think that's outside the realm protected by free speech.
I mean, you could do a sign that says ***s HATE GOD.

But that would be insulting and counter intuitive. =P

To be honest though, it may be hard, but if you don't let it bother you, then you're showing those people that you're better than them. So more power to you.

bored

Smash Ace
How exactly does one go about keeping it 'gay'? Such quandaries cloud my mind.

I attend the University of Florida, and every other day I have to walk through this outdoor plaza-type area, and there are religious fanatics holding up signs that read in big bold letters "GOD HATES ***S." I'm on my way to class, so I really never have time to shatter their misguided beliefs, but I was wondering if anyone in the school would fault me for destroying their sign, or do you think that's outside the realm protected by free speech.
Ya know. I've always wanted to get into an argument with someone of a religious faith. I've been meaning to confront the pastor at the church I go to. But that would seem in bad taste.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
What's really sad is when the "God Hates ***s" groups extend their bigotry past homosexuals to anyone who even "identifies" with them.

They go to public funerals for soldiers that died in the Middle East and protest outside the church holding signs that say "*** Defenders are just as bad" and Reverend Fred Phelps was quoted saying to a mother "Your son died because he was defending a nation that protects ***gots."

Sad.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
What's really sad is when the "God Hates ***s" groups extend their bigotry past homosexuals to anyone who even "identifies" with them.

They go to public funerals for soldiers that died in the Middle East and protest outside the church holding signs that say "*** Defenders are just as bad" and Reverend Fred Phelps was quoted saying to a mother "Your son died because he was defending a nation that protects ***gots."

Sad.
I don't know much about religion, but what boggles me is...aren't a lot of priests and stuff gay???

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The stereotype of priests being pedophile rapists is used by extreme anti-religious groups to build justification for their cause.

That being said, there have been cases in which Priests have sex with children in their diocese (both male and female, but the news only focuses on the male for shock value), and even **** other members such as plain women, which is really sad.

And for the record, I'm not entirely religious.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
The stereotype of priests being pedophile rapists is used by extreme anti-religious groups to build justification for their cause.

That being said, there have been cases in which Priests have sex with children in their diocese (both male and female, but the news only focuses on the male for shock value), and even **** other members such as plain women, which is really sad.

And for the record, I'm not entirely religious.
Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698

Sad.
Wow, now that is sad. If looked from outside the box, it seems very inhumane. :urg:

Smash Master
I mean, you could do a sign that says ***s HATE GOD.

But that would be insulting and counter intuitive. =P

To be honest though, it may be hard, but if you don't let it bother you, then you're showing those people that you're better than them. So more power to you.
I don't have time to stand outside all day holding a sign. If I did, I would probably make one that says "God hates Left-handed people". I'd then quote the Bible where it says that people who choose the left go to hell.

Nobody knows I'm gay except my one friend, so I'm not showing anybody anything.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Like coming out of the closet. Get it? ;p

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
We had to watch 1 for music class because the teacher wasn't here or something. It's godawful.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
Hrmm.
I has a dilemmas.
A guy I like wants to go out on a date with me on the same day as a tournament I planned to attend.
In the event that we both can't reschedule, I'll be forced to choose.
This sucks. D:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Dude, stick with the dude. -_-"

Blooqkazoo and friends: Stop spamming. Seriously, stick to the topic. Thanks, Desu. ^_^

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
Well, the date's much more important if it's not flexible. Otherwise go to the tourney.

Oh well, got my 100th post anyways. Peace out!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
If you all do not stop posting one lines posts (including that stupid "10 whatever") I'll start banning people.

bored

Smash Ace
I don't know how we can stay on topic. There's just so much you can discuss, regarding this subject, that going off topic should be expected at all times. But don't take my word for it.

Hrmm.
I has a dilemmas.
A guy I like wants to go out on a date with me on the same day as a tournament I planned to attend.
This sucks. D:
Dude... Seriously...

I would drop the tournament in a nanosecond.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yes, drop the tournie, you have many chances to go to other tournies, maybe even WITH that guy. ;3 I would drop it for a date.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hrmm.
I has a dilemmas.
This sucks. D:
How much do you like the guy? How big is the tournament? Do you have a chance at winning the big bucks?

We need more info.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
The thing is, I usually win a decent amount of money at Brawl tournaments. :x
On a bad day (such as last month's tournament), I'll win first in teams and third in singles and still bring home around $100. (Yes, my teams partner and I have never lost a teams tournament in state since Brawl's release. :p)
On a good day, I could win both doubles and singles, plus a handful of money matches and bring home a good $300. (Usually only if Out of State doesn't show. Reflex is too good. :x)
My friend Dogy also wanted to play me in Guilty Gear, and perhaps have a money match.

Blah.
I dunno.
My priorities are kinda skewed I guess, since I seem to be the only one even considering the tournament. >_>;;

Edit: Just saw Skyler's post after I already posted.
So here's the scoop.

This will be my second date with Sidney.
I'm not madly in love with him or anything, but he's very nice, considerate, and attractive.
I like him.

The tournament is a monthly, and it's basically Georgia's biggest Brawl tournament line.
I always win money at WABA, usually between $100 and $300.
I think I'll take first in teams and second in singles at this coming tournament.
I'll probably walk away with $150 or so, if everyone who said they were coming actually shows up and enters.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Well, 300 bucks is a lot of money. I would suggest asking the guy if he can reschedule because you have a chance to win money.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
Well, 300 bucks is a lot of money. I would suggest asking the guy if he can reschedule because you have a chance to win money.
Edited my post to include more info, again, after you posted. X_x;
It's going to be more like $150 this time, realistically, and I'm already trying to reschedule with him.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Hrmm.
I has a dilemmas.
This sucks. D:
Go for the date.

I've played many games on a competitive level (SSBM, SSBB, Pokemon RSE, Pokemon DP, Call of Duty), and I've won quite a few tournaments for each of them. And you know what? It's very very satisfying, winning a tournament. It feels great when you realize that all that hard work you put into a game-- refining your skills and studying the latest strategies-- has finally paid off.

But you also know what's even better? Being with someone that you like. There's something about romantic companionship and love and all of that stuff that can't be fulfilled by playing a video game in a tournament.

I am pretty obsessed with video games in general. I've been playing them since I was 3. I own 7 systems, and have over 180+ games. I'd say I'm addicted. There were times where I spent on average 16 hours a day playing games (summertime). And even the games that I don't play on a competitive level, I still try to master and I still try to complete every possible task within the game. Why? It gives me pleasure and satisfaction, knowing that I can put hard work into a game and achieve the final end (unlocking everything, mastering the game, beating everyone else in it, etc etc).

But as much as I love video games, I would give it all up to be able to experience everlasting true love. Video games are fun, yeah, but when you love someone and they reciprocate those feelings, that's basically a life-long friend and partner that you have. It's much more important than the temporary pleasures you might get from a game.

I mean, it's probably not the case that if you tell him you're busy, that he'll lose interest in you forever. That's probably not going to happen. But even so, think about it. What the two of you could potentially have is something that not every can achieve, at least not easily. There are tournaments all over the place. They happen often, and you'll have many chances to win money in them. But it isn't often that you like someone and they like you back.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Pretty much agreeing with the above post. You made him seem like the guy everybody wants, so the tournament doesn't really compare to your date.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Go for the date.

I've played many games on a competitive level (SSBM, SSBB, Pokemon RSE, Pokemon DP, Call of Duty), and I've won quite a few tournaments for each of them. And you know what? It's very very satisfying, winning a tournament. It feels great when you realize that all that hard work you put into a game-- refining your skills and studying the latest strategies-- has finally paid off.

But you also know what's even better? Being with someone that you like. There's something about romantic companionship and love and all of that stuff that can't be fulfilled by playing a video game in a tournament.

I am pretty obsessed with video games in general. I've been playing them since I was 3. I own 7 systems, and have over 180+ games. I'd say I'm addicted. There were times where I spent on average 16 hours a day playing games (summertime). And even the games that I don't play on a competitive level, I still try to master and I still try to complete every possible task within the game. Why? It gives me pleasure and satisfaction, knowing that I can put hard work into a game and achieve the final end (unlocking everything, mastering the game, beating everyone else in it, etc etc).

But as much as I love video games, I would give it all up to be able to experience everlasting true love. Video games are fun, yeah, but when you love someone and they reciprocate those feelings, that's basically a life-long friend and partner that you have. It's much more important than the temporary pleasures you might get from a game.

I mean, it's probably not the case that if you tell him you're busy, that he'll lose interest in you forever. That's probably not going to happen. But even so, think about it. What the two of you could potentially have is something that not every can achieve, at least not easily. There are tournaments all over the place. They happen often, and you'll have many chances to win money in them. But it isn't often that you like someone and they like you back.
Man, I agree with you all the way. I also play alot of videogames, and try to complete them as much as I can. I am also obsessed with manga, anime, and cartoon shows. For example, the Manga, Love Hina, with this college guy who is a dork and much girls wouldn't really like him... Well, I felt connected to him or something. He even made himself a cake for Valentines day, which I despise. I would also rather spend that time with someone else, but yeah. I would never pass up the opportunity.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Well, if you don't like the guy THAT MUCH.... I mean, if you think about it, you'd be spending 150 to go on a date with him.

Maybe you can use this to your advantage! Go to the tournament, but totally lead him on after denying him. Play hard to get, or something, you now?

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Well, if you don't like the guy THAT MUCH.... I mean, if you think about it, you'd be spending 150 to go on a date with him.

Maybe you can use this to your advantage! Go to the tournament, but totally lead him on after denying him. Play hard to get, or something, you now?
Does playing hard to get always work?

I know that I for one lose interest in a girl at the first sign that I think she'll be "hard to get." It doesn't matter if she's playing that game or not. If I don't think she'll like me, or if I don't think anything will ever happen between us, I'll just doubt myself more and more. I'll still like her of course, but I most likely won't make a move because of that doubt. I'll just sit and wait until I eventually get over her.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I would probaly do the same thing. I'd think that I would just annoy her if I tryed persistently to get her, so also think about that. ;3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom